• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl virtually sexually assaulted in Playstation Home

Ember128

Stabby McSter said:
oh whew i thought this thread was about me
janaoskeeee.jpg

That was too tempting.

Lost Fragment said:
I'm speechless. Seriously.

Has society really stumbled that far into stupidland?

Same here.

This makes sense when you think that avatars are a form of self-expression for players in the game.

You might have studied psychology a LOT MORE THAN I DID, but I'm sorry mrs., this doesn't make any sense what-the-fuck-so-ever.

Aspiring

Only in Australia :lol Really how can someone complain of rape in Home? Really? There is like no physical contact except a bunch of pixels? How can you be violated?

One thing though. Its posted on the US Playstation boards, yet the article is Australian. Are we really that against gaming and online in Australia? More fuel for the Australian Government to use to block our net and ban our games. And over nothing.

Avatars are a form of self expression in a game

Maybe, but its not fucking me. Its a bunch of pixels. How can you feel raped, by some dude doing the lawnmower behind your online character?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Geesh, that kind of thing is what Home is all about, the only enjoyment I get out of it is by creeping people out with my uggo avatar:
2zi3a02.jpg

WiCkEd_Co

I got shot in Modern Warfare, I want to press charges for attempted murder. I would have gone for murder charges but I re spawned.

borsdy

Banned
TheSeks said:
Don't want them to harass you? Make a male character. Leave the area, block them in the chatlog so they can't text you. Ignore them.

Jesus, if you're "quitting home" because of this, you aren't ready for the internet. :|
I don't like you as a poster here but I agree with this.

KaYotiX said:
Give me a break.....she was traumatised by an online action towards her avatar?? Now i think ive heard everything. Whats next? Suing people and getting them locked up in jail over a "virtual" assault?

South Korea and their mandatory user registration (tied with real Korean ID) because couple of high-profile actresses killed themselves over virtual hate campaigns says hi, you giant douchebag.

Jenga

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
South Korea and their mandatory user registration (tied with real Korean ID) because couple of high-profile actresses killed themselves over virtual hate campaigns says hi, you giant douchebag.
virtual hate campaigns through mass email and etc is much different than a fucking avatar being crouched on a lot :lol

he obviously meant being assaulted "in-game", not shit being thrown out irl

Jenga said:
virtual hate campaigns through mass email and etc is much different than a fucking avatar being crouched on a lot :lol

Both are purely virtual, besides these type of things tend to escalate fairly quickly.

Jenga

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Both are purely virtual, besides these type of things tend to escalate fairly quickly.
I've never had anyone kill themselves because I had my virtual videogame character crouch/teabag their character.

Jenga said:
I've never had anyone kill themselves because I had my virtual videogame character crouch/teabag their character.

I don't want to argue what is obviously a no discussion. You think it's a bunch of pixels, etc., etc. Fine.

bdouble

Castor Krieg said:
No I'd have to say they are completely different. One is a complete mass personal attack on the real person just through virtual delivery directed at and from a real person.

The other is just a real person controlling a virtual character and not even performing assault but acting it out through fake gestures in a virtual world on another individual interacting with that world. Basically this is saying if I knew the command to crouch (never logged into home) and went up to a girl and said "circle circle circle" it would be sexual assault if we both knew what it meant. Dancing would be sexual assault. Just in Home their are no social consequences to doing these things. Like if a girl didn't want to be danced with she would go up to some friends, throw a drink in the guys face or get punched.

patsu

Ha, I get harassed by one guy even using my guy avatar. He'd try to gimme a blow job by crouching in front of me when I sit down. Mocked and reported him and he's gone. In fact, the whole lot of us there reported him at the same time. That should get him banned from PSN. :)

If I use my woman avatar, people automatically think that I'm a guy and leave me alone. A few tried to approach me, but after I told them I'm a guy, they left.

What surprises me most about Home are the female gamers there. I spoke to quite a few, and they are pretty pleasant to talk to. Haven't been to Home long enough for quite some time now though.

Phreak47

Equal rights, man. I want a million billion dollars for each teabag I have received in Socom 2 from 2002-2004, pro-rated with interest.

jgwhiteus

Well, I don't buy the reasoning of "it's just virtual / pixels, so it has no real-life effect". Why do people complain about ethnic and homophobic slurs on Live? They're just words by anonymous idiots directed at your virtual game character. But even so, they can be insulting, hurtful and really suck your enjoyment out of a game. There are also plenty of ways to harass someone over the Internet (emails, IMs, etc.), and I don't know if you can really draw a line between text-based harassment and someone who's using more visual stuff to harass you - someone who makes a point of always following you around, puts up graphic images, tries to do sexually suggestive stuff to your avatar, etc. - it can be disturbing and unsettling in real life.

I mean, if it had no effect at all, that kind of stuff wouldn't be bannable. Is it the same as a real-life assault? No, and I think equating the two diminishes the trauma of real-life assault. But that doesn't mean virtual harassment can't be really disturbing.

I agree an isolated incident isn't much to get up in arms over, and there's an expected level of douchebaggery on the Internet that comes with the territory. But if there were a pattern of some creep who was focused on just me instead of being a general idiot to everyone, etc., the option to flag and ban the person should be there (and is probably the best response 90% of the time), and if it begins to bleed over into disturbing territory (constant threats, stalking, etc.), yeah, might be time to call the cops.

stupei

Honestly, the way the article is written makes it sound pretty stupid, but as a woman when you have to put up with unwanted bullshit from guys on a pretty much daily basis the last thing you really want is to experience the same shit when you're just trying to relax with your hobby.

I mean, I know this is GAF, lolz, but guys in the thread acting like they have any idea where she's coming from because they've had shit said to them in an online environment too are either deluded or just being very disingenuous.

stupei said:
Honestly, the way the article is written makes it sound pretty stupid, but as a woman when you have to put up with unwanted bullshit from guys on a pretty much daily basis the last thing you really want is to experience the same shit when you're just trying to relax with your hobby.

I mean, I know this is GAF, lolz, but guys in the thread acting like they have any idea where she's coming from because they've had shit said to them in an online environment too are either deluded or just being very disingenuous.

:lol

This isn't worthy of the label "sexual assault" in any sense. That it happened to a woman who "probably" has to deal with similar "unwanted bullshit" on a daily basis doesn't change that.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just do what my wife does...... Don't talk on xbox live, it's dumb she has to resort to that but we all know how guys react to hearing a girl/womans voice online.

The fact is it's the Internet and it's full of asshats and morons who think just because they are anonomus they can act like idiots. IMO the " sexual harrasment" of an avatar and being upset over it enough to quit is kinda going overboard. Report the guy , block him/ ignore him or log off for a few. But that's just me....

Psy-Phi

God...I hope there won't be a Home Jail, because if they did make one, I'd probably be in the first set of Home Jury Summons that Sony would send over PSN, going out to all registered Underground members (it's like being registered to Vote sometimes).

selig

Banned
ffs, first they killed the internet by making up rules, next are games, eh?

In a way, that girl is more ridiculous than the guy that marries his Love Plus-girl...

selig said:
ffs, first they killed the internet by making up rules, next are games, eh?

In a way, that girl is more ridiculous than the guy that marries his Love Plus-girl...

In what way? As ridiculous as this story is, I'm not seeing it.

happens to my GF every single time she logged onto home. Funny shit if you ask me. She just laughs and talks about how "gamers have no life"... boh

stupei

Night_Trekker said:
:lol

This isn't worthy of the label "sexual assault" in any sense. That it happened to a woman who "probably" has to deal with similar "unwanted bullshit" on a daily basis doesn't change that.

Can you point to where I called it sexual assault? I said that the way the article addresses it is idiotic, but that doesn't make the reaction from some in this thread any less misinformed and juvenile.

Ploid 3.0

nskinnear said:
You have got to be fucking kidding me. The mini-game sounds more fun than anything else in Home right now :lol.

You haven't played home in a while I see. Infamous' space has a game like what's described but better.

Zertez

This article losses me off. Not so much for the actions of the idiot who harassed her, but calling it sexual assualt. I'm sure she felt like crap when this happened, but real victims of sexual assualt do not have any control while being assualted and are subjected to disgusting actions. This girl was lucky to be in control and could walk away or turn off the machine the second the idiots crossed the line.

stupei said:
Can you point to where I called it sexual assault? I said that the way the article addresses it is idiotic, but that doesn't make the reaction from some in this thread any less misinformed and juvenile.

The point is she's overreacting. That an article was written about this specific incident (and not about all in-game harassment, which would have been borderline acceptable as a discussion topic, if not as a "news" story) is preposterous.

Nobody has the right to remain unoffended, as douchey as it may be to go around trying to upset people.

Top Bottom