• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Police investigate virtual sex assault on girl's avatar

Right, so what you are saying is everyone can say whatever they want to whoever they want no matter the age with no repercussions online because you don't think its a real crime? (even though it is)
main-qimg-5b2936eeb505d7b4b03ea5e74ff000b7-lq

Three

This affects the whole judicial system, if the police, judges and courts are bottleneck by misdemeanors. Especially when it's stupid crap said over the internet.
But there is nothing to suggest that they are and in fact it's more likely that this "sexual assault" case would just be added to the increasing 70% stat so that a political party can suggest that nothing is being done.
Meanwhile people are getting raped, robbed and stabbed, and the judicial system does nothing.
It's not that the judicial system does nothing. That's my point. The Judicial system is trying to do something and in fact giving priority to more serious crimes and there is nothing to suggest that they aren't. The fact that they didn't ignore this crime and it has been reported/investigated means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It too is likely to be dropped or delayed due to the lack of judges or lawyers in courts. It means nothing to the more serious crimes being committed or given priority to be prosecuted in court.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I remember the good early days of games like Counter Strike, Halo and COD. Youd get your crew and single out some random and rub the fuck out of there character with yours, spinning , tea bag, jumping up at them, then anything went on the mic and to top it off on counter strike source you could spray a tag down in front of them eg a massive dick. Now days you get arrested for that shit it seems.

winjer

Gold Member
Right, so what you are saying is everyone can say whatever they want to whoever they want no matter the age with no repercussions online because you don't think its a real crime? (even though it is)

I don't care about all these other crimes you are bringing up, they are completely irrelevant separate cases dealt with by completely separate departments within and outside the police force. There is ZERO evidence that them ivestigating this case means that a physical rape case will be pushed to the side.

Don't you think that crimes should take precedence over misdemeanors?
Do you really think that a 70% drop in real rape cases is a good statistic?

My laywer brain is all confused. What crime are they going to charge this guy with? It's not actually sexual assault. Would it be some kind of harassment or stalking? Either way, this really feels like it should be handled as a private matter with the owners of Horizon Worlds, like potentially a violation of the Terms of Service, at least initially. If keeps happening repeatedly, then maybe it could be a targeted harassment campaign, but one incident should not result in a criminal charge, even if it's just a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Don't you think that crimes should take precedence over misdemeanors?
Do you really think that a 70% drop in real rape cases is a good statistic?
I think all crimes should be investigated and yes, some should take priority over others of course, but there is no evidence this individual case is taking priority over physical rape victims. And, agaiun, different unit within the police will be dealing with it

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I think all crimes should be investigated and yes, some should take priority, but there is no evidence this individual case is taking priority over physical rape victims.

It's plainly obvious that the UK does not have the resources to investigate all crimes.
So priority should be given to real crimes.

midnightAI

It's plainly obvious that the UK does not have the resources to investigate all crimes.
So priority should be given to real crimes.
There's that word again, 'real' crimes, it is a real crime, why do you think they are investigating it? And once again.... CEOP and Cyber Crimes Units, it does not take away resources from those investigating rape, theft, muggings, murder etc. And lets face it, the chances anything gong any further than a telling off/education by Cyber Crimes is slim.

midnightAI

My laywer brain is all confused. What crime are they going to charge this guy with? It's not actually sexual assault. Would it be some kind of harassment or stalking? Either way, this really feels like it should be handled as a private matter with the owners of Horizon Worlds, like potentially a violation of the Terms of Service, at least initially. If keeps happening repeatedly, then maybe it could be a targeted harassment campaign, but one incident should not result in a criminal charge, even if it's just a misdemeanor.
It will most likely be under Child Sexual Abuse, it doesn't matter if its online or in person, verbal, physical or even psychological, its all part of the same thing. Of course there will be levels of seriousness within that.

Tams

Wait a minute, people on here are criticising the police? for doing their job?

The girl WAS UNDER 16, she was verbally abused (and we can only imagine what was being said if it was a 'virtual gang rape' (actually, don't imagine that, that's horrible))

It is a crime and so it should be (for the verbal abuse), and for those saying just take off the headset, so its ok to do this and bully (and abuse) people off a platform they want to play? (and could potentially stalk them further than the game, but yes, the very second something was up she should have taken off the headset)

Actually, I think the word 'Avatar' is what the issue is because people are then separating an avatar to a human being, but it was a human being that was subjected to the verbal abuse not the avatar. (and as for the actual digital Avatar, I agree, that shouldn't come into it unless the game in question allows for the characters to interact in a more sexual way but then said game should have 18 only with warnings, but that's obvious)

An underage person shouldn't have been in a public lobby.

So yes, I am criticising the police for following this up and saying that it's possibly 'rape'. All while they can't spare a single officer to stop the local yobos throwing eggs and stones at windows.

midnightAI

An underage person shouldn't have been in a public lobby.

So yes, I am criticising the police for following this up and saying that it's possibly 'rape'. All while they can't spare a single officer to stop the local yobos throwing eggs and stones at windows.
So a 15 year old shouldnt play VR? I mean, that's another discussion, but VR Chat (10), Horizon Worlds(Parental Guidance), Rec Room (8) are all available to those age limits.

And it wont be investigated as rape (that will be tabloid sensationalism)

I dont think the Cyber Crimes unit will be stopping people throwing eggs and stones at windows.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Damn you guys got Thought Police already?

We're getting close.

A few years ago a 19 year old girl was arrested and charged for posting lyrics online in tribute to her boyfriend who tragically died in a car crash.

The lyrics were from Snoop Doggs I'm Trippin, but because one word of the lyrics contained a racist word (I'm not sure, but I think it was the N word), she got a community order for committing a hate crime.

She wasn't being racist, she just didn't blank out the offending word. However, her intentions didn't matter. Just posting the word, regardless of context, is enough to get you arrested.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Again, you are only picking that part of the story, they verbally abused her, she's under 16, a minor. Stop thinking about it as just an Avatar, a real (young) person was subjected to the verbal (and in this case sexual) abuse.

(and I agree, in this instance the visual aspect should be ignored if what they were playing at the time has no realistic interpretation of the human body or body parts)
It’s a criminal offence to verbally abuse a minor?

midnightAI

It’s a criminal offence to verbally abuse a minor?
Yes? especially when its sexual in nature, which in this case it was (not that many get reported, but most will be investigated if they are, it will depend on the seriousness of the verbal abuse of course if anything is taken any further after being reported)

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes? especially when its sexual in nature, which in this case it was (not that many get reported, but most will be investigated if they are, it will depend on the seriousness of the verbal abuse of course if anything is taken any further after being reported)
I can’t find that law online, please can you tell me where you’re finding that?

FeralEcho

It's time to establish a virtual police force to "catch" all these virtual bad guys.
Might as well close the internet then lol Scumbags are everywhere...

Its people's jobs as parents to keep an eye on their kids and you know....be responsible for what they're doing and watching and teaching them to not take everything at face value but that is actually hard work so screw that,just put a tablet in their hand and do a pikachu surprised face when they encounter creeps online....

Red5

Its people's jobs as parents to keep an eye on their kids and you know....be responsible for what they're doing and watching and teaching them to not take everything at face value but that is actually hard work so screw that,just put a tablet in their hand and do a pikachu surprised face when they encounter creeps online....

So the creeps/pedo wannabees who harras underage girls should not be prosecuted?

kikii

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67865327

Police are investigating a virtual sexual assault of a girl's avatar, the chair of the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners has said.
Donna Jones said she had learned that a complaint was made in 2023, triggering a police inquiry.

The impact of the attack on the girl's avatar was said to be heightened because of the immersive nature of the VR experience.
According to an unnamed senior officer familiar with the matter who spoke to the paper the victim, under 16 at the time, suffered psychological trauma "similar to that of someone who has been physically raped".

In 2022, researcher Nina Jane Patel revealed she was abused in a virtual world operated by Meta called Horizon Venues (now part of Horizon Worlds), likening it to sexual assault.

Recalling the experience, Ms Patel told the same programme that she was "surrounded by three to four male-sounding and male-representing avatars, who started sexually harassing me in a verbal sense and then sexually assaulting my avatar".

She said they had used misogynistic language and "continued to touch my avatar in a way that can only be described as a sexual assault of my avatar".

The BBC has not yet confirmed on which platform the attack on the young girl's avatar took place but Meta has said in a statement: "The kind of behaviour described has no place on our platform, which is why for all users we have an automatic protection called personal boundary, which keeps people you don't know a few feet away from you.
46ztLuA.png

midnightAI

I can’t find that law online, please can you tell me where you’re finding that?
I think its probably under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, but can also be under the Communications Act 2003 also, there are loads of laws regarding online use (and abuse), most are ignored, not serious enough or not known about though.

Childnet Laws Online has some info on it

midnightAI

So its the parents fault now? (I know you are not directly saying its the parents fault) not the abusers? the kid hasn't done anything wrong (as far as we are aware, now if they were playing an 18 rated VR game with sexual content then that would be a different discussion but i doubt that's the case here)

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus, there's no mental gymnastics here, it's fucking black and white, they sexually harassed a girl/minor online regardless if it was VR or a chatroom, you cannot do that shit because a: it's just fucking downright disgusting and wrong and B: it also happens to be illegal!?

I sincerely hope you cunts thinking this is a nothingburger don't have daughters and if you do, you need a wee revaluation on your principles

Last edited:

FeralEcho

So its the parents fault now? (I know you are not directly saying its the parents fault) not the abusers? the kid hasn't done anything wrong (as far as we are aware, now if they were playing an 18 rated VR game with sexual content then that would be a different discussion but i doubt that's the case here)
Just saying parents should teach their children to be responsible enough to avoid shit like this in the first place cuz creeps are everywhere whether on the streets or on the internet....especially the internet.

I can cross the street just fine everyday but I still look left and right before i cross just in case some lunatic forgets to break at the crosswalk.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think its probably under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, but can also be under the Communications Act 2003 also, there are loads of laws regarding online use (and abuse), most are ignored, not serious enough or not known about though.

Childnet Laws Online has some info on it
Sexual Offences Act 2003
This Act covers the prevention and protection of children from harm due to sexual offences. The term ‘sexual offences’ describes offences including, but not limited to, rape, sexual assault, causing sexual activity without consent, child sex offences including grooming, abuse of position of trust, offences against persons with a mental disorder impeding choice, voyeurism offences including recording sexually intrusive images under someone’s clothing and indecent photographs of children.

None of that has happened. Obviously the caveat is ‘not limited to’ but this is a ludicrous stretch which could also apply to tea bagging in Halo.

Communications Act 2003
This Act covers all forms and types of public communication. With regards to online behaviour,
it covers the sending of grossly offensive, obscene, menacing or indecent communications and any communication that causes needless anxiety or contains false accusation.

Probably the only actual foundation the Police have to go off and it’s their favourite thing to investigate. ‘This action made me feel bad’.

But yeah, there is no law against verbally abusing children and certainly no law that says you can’t ‘virtually molest’ someone (which by the way, makes an absolute mockery of actual victims of sexual abuse).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Had to read that all the way through and click the article to even begin to comprehend what is going on.

This is one of the weirdest fucking things I've ever heard of. Tax payers money is going toward this kind of shit? Stop it, the police should just drop this crap and tell that fucking idiot to grow up.

The world has gone mad. Next we'll be hearing about how a bunch of cunts seeking therapy for the amount of virtual tea bagging they had to endure after being killed in Halo 2 all those years ago. This is just bananas.

This is an issue that happened. She was violated. But I agree the police shouldn't be involved at all though.

NickFire

I hope that if the allegations are true that their accounts are banned, and any hardware they used to access the vr world get permanently banned as well. And if the offenders are stalking the girl across accounts, social media, etc., and making contact after being asked to stop, I think they would deserve to have a restraining order slapped against them and get charged if they violate it. There absolutely are, at times, limits that need to be enforced by authorities when dealing with harassment (etc.) of any sort if that is actually occurring.

But that said, if the case does not involve solicitation of a minor (pics, meetings, etc), or something like continued efforts to contact the complaining party, then shame on the police for getting involved. Enough if enough with this tip toeing around lunacy. Tell the parents to take a more active role in monitoring their child's online activities, how to use parental filters, and above all else tell the complaining party to take off the damn headset. Western society is going to shit pandering to non-stop lunacy.

midnightAI

Sexual Offences Act 2003
This Act covers the prevention and protection of children from harm due to sexual offences. The term ‘sexual offences’ describes offences including, but not limited to, rape, sexual assault, causing sexual activity without consent, child sex offences including grooming, abuse of position of trust, offences against persons with a mental disorder impeding choice, voyeurism offences including recording sexually intrusive images under someone’s clothing and indecent photographs of children.

None of that has happened. Obviously the caveat is ‘not limited to’ but this is a ludicrous stretch which could also apply to tea bagging in Halo.

Communications Act 2003
This Act covers all forms and types of public communication. With regards to online behaviour,
it covers the sending of grossly offensive, obscene, menacing or indecent communications and any communication that causes needless anxiety or contains false accusation.

Probably the only actual foundation the Police have to go off and it’s their favourite thing to investigate. ‘This action made me feel bad’.

But yeah, there is no law against verbally abusing children and certainly no law that says you can’t ‘virtually molest’ someone (which by the way, makes an absolute mockery of actual victims of sexual abuse).
well, for one, this isnt tea bagging in Halo, so, no, that caveat could be perfectly acceptable depending on the exact circumstances

And did you completely skip over
it covers the sending of grossly offensive, obscene, menacing or indecent communications
right before what you bolded?

Sure, we don't know exactly what has been said but if the initial news article is anything to go off then the above certainly covers it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
well, for one, this isnt tea bagging in Halo, so, no, that caveat could be perfectly acceptable depending on the exact circumstances

And did you completely skip over

right before what you bolded?

Sure, we don't know exactly what has been said but if the initial news article is anything to go off then the above certainly covers it.
grossly offensive, obscene, menacing or indecent communications

‘She said they had used misogynistic language’.

Lock those misogynists up and throw away the key.

According to an unnamed senior officer familiar with the matter who spoke to the paper the victim, under 16 at the time, suffered psychological trauma "similar to that of someone who has been physically raped".

But in criminal law, rape and sexual assault require there to have been physical contact.

Glad whoever wrote that, BBC or Mail, at least did the bare minimum of research.

Last edited:

midnightAI

‘She said they had used misogynistic language’.

Lock those misogynists up and throw away the key.

But in criminal law, rape and sexual assault require there to have been physical contact.

Glad whoever wrote that, BBC or Mail, at least did the bare minimum of research.
And in the same article it also says 'who started sexually harassing me in a verbal sense', so we don't know what was said, I said there are laws against abusive language towards minors (especially sexual, which is exactly what the laws I posted are about), if that didn't happen then that's a different story.

Reminds of Russia, where the police is more willing to investigate some nonsense (like movies or dance parties) rather than real crimes (and corruption).

Banjo64

cumsessed
And in the same article it also says 'who started sexually harassing me in a verbal sense', so we don't know what was said, I said there are laws against abusive language towards minors (especially sexual, which is exactly what the laws I posted are about), if that didn't happen then that's a different story.
If you are talking about the sexual offences act nothing from that synopsis says you can’t use sexually abusive language towards a child. I’m curious how you think that would work in practice anyway. For example, if I called a 15 year old a slag and a Policeman heard, do you think I’d be dragged in front of the CPS and convicted of a crime?

The stance that some idiots playing a VR game should be treated in the same way as actual rapists or people who groom children is really distasteful and disrespectful to victims of SA. It’s also a gross misuse of public funds.

midnightAI

If you are talking about the sexual offences act nothing from that synopsis says you can’t use sexually abusive language towards a child. I’m curious how you think that would work in practice anyway. For example, if I called a 15 year old a slag and a Policeman heard, do you think I’d be dragged in front of the CPS and convicted of a crime?

The stance that some idiots playing a VR game should be treated in the same way as actual rapists or people who groom children is really distasteful and disrespectful to victims of SA. It’s also a gross misuse of public funds.
Its in the Communications Act
it covers the sending of grossly offensive, obscene, menacing or indecent communications

I don't see what is so difficult to understand about this, if you are saying offensive, abusive and sexually explicit comments to an underage child you should be punished for it, whether that's a ban from the game, or if it is taken further (depending on what was said)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Its in the Communications Act

You said there are laws against abusive language aimed at minors (especially sexual) - there aren’t.

Those headers don’t cover abusive language, they cover grossly offensive language, obscenity and menacing or indecent communications.

midnightAI

You said there are laws against abusive language aimed at minors (especially sexual) - there aren’t.

Those headers don’t cover abusive language, they cover grossly offensive language, obscenity and menacing or indecent communications.
Sexually abusive language can be considered obscenity and indecent communications.

Tripolygon

Banned
The fact that there are people in this thread who are taking this seriously are so fucking funny to me.

There's a real easy way to fix this 'problem'. Show your kids where the 'off' switch is and teach them how to use it.

Touch grass, you clowns.
Here is an experiment

Threaten violence to anyone online and see how real it is or isn’t. The internet is a virtual extension of our social square. Harassing someone online deserves the same consideration given to harassment in person. Turning off the device after the fact does not diminish the traumatic incident that’s just occurred.

Tripolygon

Banned
Life's a constant lesson. Grab a copy off Amazon. And some lube.
That’s not pornhub. It’s an educational book meant to educate people about the body and sexuality. Lots of adults would be better off if they had that sort of education when they were younger but alas we have to be puritanical about the subject matter. 10 and 11 is a good age to start teaching children if you wait till they are 16 they would have already started experimenting by themselves and often times not in a healthy way because they were never taught. Sex education is lacking.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
tbf fire department often has paramedics as well, they could've simply been closer than the nearest available ambulance.
Trust me, where I live, this made zero sense. I live a two minute walk to the hospital and ambulance storage garage where they are always available. It's when they get to the hospital it's a problem (No beds). The fire department is further and my road to get down is a nightmare for anything bigger than a fiesta :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think the dispatcher I phoned just funked up. Even on the phone to her I could tell she was incompetent.

I know the fire department have medical training, this was pure incompetence though.

This place is a joke.

Top Bottom