• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System re-designs.. which ones never had them

Shiggy said:
The GameCube had a redesign, they removed a port which was never used. This changed the design dramatically.

Never used? I and all my friends used the component-cable port, it was the way to get the best graphics out of the thing, even with games that didn't support 480p. The problem is Nintendo just never released the dang component cables in stores, only directly, and eventually stopped selling the cable period. Nintendo has *always* thought that their customers won't ever have decent TV's.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shiggy said:
The GameCube had a redesign, they removed a port which was never used. This changed the design dramatically.
I remember that. That kind of thing always pisses me off. Had I ever had to replace my Cube for whatever reason, that could have left me with inferior video output. Not cool.

Gameboy415

racerx77 said:
To my knowledge the few systems that were never re-designed during their life cycle were the original xbox, xbox 360 (so far) ,sega dreamcast and the turbographx 16.
turbografx-16.jpg

any others (I'm only including consoles- not handhelds) that I'm missing?

Well Turbografx-16 looked a helluva lot different when it was originally released in Japan (as PC Engine):

PC_Engine.jpg

Baki

HUELEN10 said:
I thought this thread was about redesigns of the same system, not merely pointing out if an entirely new piece of hardware that runs the same software was made.

Regardless, my information remains accurate. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Majesco's one had no color logo on the front, and lacked TV tuner support.
:lol awesome.

Ps: why are you so adamant about the SP not being a redesign.

Shiggy

Dreamwriter said:
Never used? I and all my friends used the component-cable port, it was the way to get the best graphics out of the thing, even with games that didn't support 480p. The problem is Nintendo just never released the dang component cables in stores, only directly, and eventually stopped selling the cable period. Nintendo has *always* thought that their customers won't ever have decent TV's.

I was talking about port 2 or sth on the bottom of the console.

RayStorm

Mandoric said:
Personally, I'd count revisions a normal user could notice, with either a feature change or a casing mold change; this definitely includes the GC output reshuffle, but passes on the XBox's board revision, and means there have been five PS2s for purposes of this argument rather than fifteen or more, and two rather than four or five X360s.

Seriously. I'm amazed at all those people not agreeing with this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
:lol The OP has the TurbroGraphx, the system that has to have more revisions then I have fingers. It just gets rediculuse.

If you really don't want to count all the Japanese variations, there is the TubrboDuo still:
PC_Engine_Duo.jpg

speculawyer said:
Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, 3DO, and Atari Jaguar . . . didn't live long enough.

If a machine is successful, it will pretty much always have a re-design . . . whether you know it or not. Sure, the 360 looks the same now as it did at launch . . . the insides are different.

Actually the Saturn had several models from other manufacturers and a revision from sega.

Gyrian

I waited and waited for an original Xbox revision that never came. :s
The PS2 got an unbelievably sweet one, to pour more salt in those wounds.

Wish Microsoft still sold the platform, or at least had it licensed to someone who cared to improve upon it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
B1gg_Randall said:
The Sega Gensis had 3 re designs...4 if you count the normad (correct me if im wrong :D )
Acctully we are now up to 7 in NA. Anther company licensed the tech from Sega last year and there is now a "Model 4" or what they call 'Firecore'

GenesisFirecore.JPG

Its tiny!

And you can't forget the CDX or the X'eye.

Rocksteady33

Drkirby said:
Acctully we are now up to 7 in NA. Anther company licensed the tech from Sega last year and there is now a "Model 4" or what they call 'Firecore'

GenesisFirecore.JPG

Its tiny!

And you can't forget the CDX or the X'eye.

I don't believe that's official. Rather clones start ramping up 20 years after their release (copyright is up?).

I believe Genesis Model 3 was the last official version (or I guess the Nomad).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rocksteady33 said:
I don't believe that's official. Rather clones start ramping up 20 years after their release (copyright is up?).

I believe Genesis Model 3 was the last official version (or I guess the Nomad).
No, thats the thing, Sega really did license it. Its just as offical as the CDX or X'Eye.

Rocksteady33

Nintendo Systems:

NES -> NES Top Loader -> NES TV
SNES -> SNES Jr.
Nintendo 64 -> Nintendo iQue (this is questionable)
GameCube -> Panasonic Q
Game Boy -> Game Boy Pocket/Game Boy Light/Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance -> Game Boy Advance SP/Game Boy Advance SP Bright/Game Boy micro
Nintendo DS -> Nintendo DS Lite/Nintendo DSi/Nintendo DSi XL

SEGA Systems:

Master System -> Master System II -> Master System III
Genesis -> Genesis 2 -> Genesis 3 -> Nomad
Saturn -> Saturn 2 (although the changes are incredibly minimal)
SEGA CD -> SEGA CD 2

Sony Systems:

PlayStation -> PSone
PlayStation 2 -> PStwo -> PSX
PlayStation 3 -> PlayStation 3 Slim
PSP -> PSP 2000 -> PSP 3000 -> PSP Go

Other Systems:

N-Gage -> N-Gage QD
Atari 2600 -> Atari 2600 Jr.
Intellivision -> Intellivision II
WonderSwan -> WonderSwan Color
Neo Geo Pocket -> Neo Geo Pocket Color
GP2X -> GP2X Wiz

Raist said:
Wait, the NES had a redesign?
Technically there are at least four obvious renditions of that system. The Famicom, the Toaster, the JP Toploader (aka the AV Famicom, as it added AV connection to the Famicom), and the US Toploader (which actually took out the AV connection from the Toaster model).

JGS

Banned
I thought the Xbox changed controllers. Does that count?

Also, if the Pikachu N64 counts, than the Halo Green version of Xbox should count too.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Segata Sanshiro said:
Technically there are at least four obvious renditions of that system. The Famicom, the Toaster, the JP Toploader (aka the AV Famicom, as it added AV connection to the Famicom), and the US Toploader (which actually took out the AV connection from the Toaster model).
Huh, I'd never seen that AV Famicom before. Neat.

Also, don't forget Sharp's Twin Famicom.

Shig said:
Huh, I'd never seen that AV Famicom before. Neat.

Also, don't forget Sharp's Twin Famicom.
Ah yes, don't know how I forgot that.

The AV Famicom is the one I have. Picked it up just before Christmas along with an assortment of games. unf

JGS said:
I thought the Xbox changed controllers. Does that count?

Also, if the Pikachu N64 counts, than the Halo Green version of Xbox should count too.
umm no lol...But anywy the "new" Xbox controller was just the japanese xbox controller...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
JGS said:
I don't see why you arrive at that conclusion. The Pikachu N64 required an entirely different mold, and aside from the extended side with Pikachu actually has some pretty noteworthy design changes (elimination of the system's 'feet' in the front corners, casing narrows as it approaches the front, rather than widens). It's a wildly superfluous redesign, sure, but it's a redesign. The Halo Xbox on the other hand, is the exact same case mold in a different color.

Drkirby said:
No, thats the thing, Sega really did license it. Its just as offical as the CDX or X'Eye.

And didn't Majesco make some of the later Genesis models?

I wish Sega would have licensed them to make new Dreamcast models after they stopped production. My GD-ROM drive is acting up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
megashock5 said:
And didn't Majesco make some of the later Genesis models?

I wish Sega would have licensed them to make new Dreamcast models after they stopped production. My GD-ROM drive is acting up.
I think the GD-Rom drive is why they aren't getting made. But who knows, maybe in 10 or 20 years there will be new Saturns and Dreamcasts.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Drkirby said:
Did the Game Gear ever get a redesign?
There was a rerelease of the system dubbed 'Kids Gear' in Japan that had a slightly redesigned casing and apparently loaded cartridges in the opposite direction of the original GG. Did some searching; it's fuckin' impossible to find a pic of the standard one apparently, but here's the Virtua Fighter edition:
ggvirtuafighter.jpg

Looks pretty well slimmed down from the original, I think it safely qualifies as a redesign.

JGS

Banned
Shig said:
I don't see why you arrive at that conclusion. The Pikachu N64 required an entirely different mold, and aside from the extended side with Pikachu actually has some pretty noteworthy design changes (elimination of the system's 'feet' in the front corners, casing narrows as it approaches the front, rather than widens). It's a wildly superfluous redesign, sure, but it's a redesign. The Halo Xbox on the other hand, is the exact same case mold in a different color.

I think it would be pretty easy to come to the conclusion even if it's wrong due to the details you brought up. I guess I was looking at it from a different look perspective.

JGS

Banned
B1gg_Randall said:
umm no lol...But anywy the "new" Xbox controller was just the japanese xbox controller...

:lol You guys take your redesign challenges seriously!

However, I thought they switched the controller for S all the way around.

FAKE EDIT- I was right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox
The Controller S was released in other territories by popular demand, and eventually replaced the standard controller in the Xbox's retail package, with the larger original controller available as an accessory.

Now, I don't want to start anything, so I will assume this isn't a part of a redesign.

Rocksteady33

JGS said:
:lol You guys take your redesign challenges seriously!

However, I thought they switched the controller for S all the way around.

FAKE EDIT- I was right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

Now, I don't want to start anything, so I will assume this isn't a part of a redesign.

Well the S controller was standard at the console release in Japan. It was brought over to the US and became more popular, and thus replaced the Duke, and I assume the same thing happened in other places around the world.

The only difference is that Microsoft stopped packaging the system with the Duke and packaged it with an S controller. That's not a system redesign, simply a packaging variant.

Manp

Lagspike_exe said:
X360 was Zephyr --> Falcon --> Jasper I believe.

Xenon -> Zephyr (HDMI version of Xenon) -> Falcon - Opus (no HDMI version of Falcon) -> Jasper (2 different versions, one with and one without flash storage)

that's five revisions

:)

Shig said:

Right. Also, as was said earlier, the existence of the iQue gives an even better reason why the N64 shouldn't be on this list.

Drkirby said:
Did the Game Gear ever get a redesign?

Shig said:
There was a rerelease of the system dubbed 'Kids Gear' in Japan that had a slightly redesigned casing and apparently loaded cartridges in the opposite direction of the original GG. Did some searching; it's fuckin' impossible to find a pic of the standard one apparently, but here's the Virtua Fighter edition:
ggvirtuafighter.jpg

Looks pretty well slimmed down from the original, I think it safely qualifies as a redesign.

Huh... woah, I've never heard of that. Why didn't Majesco use THAT shell for their GG re-release? Also, what kind of battery life does it get? Any better than the original system?

Anyway, the other Game Gear redesign was the US-only Majesco Game Gear, released in 2000 and on sale maybe just until 2001 or so. The Majesco Game Gear uses the original Game Gear's shell shape, recolors it. The color is Genesis black instead of original GG grey. Also the power plug is black like the rest of the shell, not yellow or orange or whatever, the start button is purple instead of blue, and the three colored bars in the Game Gear logo are all white instead of being red, blue, and green. The insides were changed a little too -- the battery life is still an awful 7 hours max on 6 AAs, but the screen was improved and is much less blurry, and they did not use the bad capacitors Sega did as far as I know so you won't have the failing sound and graphics problems that plague Sega-model GGs. The only real negative is that it's incompatible with the TV Tuner.

Majesco did not release any new games for the relaunch, but did re-release some titles. These games have dark black cartridges, the same color as the Majesco GG, instead of grey carts the same color as the original system as Sega used. Put a Majesco and a Sega cart next to eachother and it's easy to tell the difference just based on color.

Top Bottom