• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Wii U Controller Needs Analog Sticks (vs Circle Pads) and Triggers

AniHawk

yeah, the circle pads suck. and they seem to be made for really tiny thumbs. not sure why they put those ridges around them.

hamchan

No analogue triggers is a pretty big issue. Circle pad on my 3DS isn't as good as analogue sticks so that's pretty bad too. Also, seeing as how a lot of games these days use L3 and R3 to actually do something useful the Wii U should really have those buttons. Unless they want us to use the touchscreen for knifing in FPS games which would kinda be a hassle to be honest.

Also the GCN definitely had analogue buttons. It was pretty damn important for Smash Bros actually.

ITT: People who call themselves "gamers" but don't know what a trigger is or who have apparently never touched or seen a Sony or Microsoft controller.

Thoraxes

JABEE said:
I can understand wanting the option to use a stylus, but is touch controls in shooters really more effective than traditional controls?
Maybe it's just me being raised as "FPS belong with a Mouse and Keyboard combo", but I find when I play dual-analog FPS games, I have a very hard time figuring out my controls, and I get really frustrated with the lack of precision and my inability to do well with the dual-analog setup. The stylus, for me anyways, offers me a supreme control method, and a hell of a lot more precision. It's more like the aiming is an extension of my hand, rather than the aiming being an extension of the joystick I move, and by how much I move it.

However, I totally love dual-analog for everything else. Hell, I even played Witcher 2 on my PC with a Dualshock 3, because it just felt right.

As for triggers, I have yet to play a game where I cared about the triggers being totally sensitive to how hard and at what length i've pressed them at. I also have yet to play a game where that even matters. I don't see the point of making them one way or another, as long as they play games for me.

Also as for caring less not being possible, I defy the laws of physics because I am a black hole, and my event horizon is pretty cool. Also I can suck a lot of things into a small space.

I don't have anything against the 3DS slide pad, but why use those on a console? Stop trying to be different, Nintendo. It's not like we are carrying the tablet in our pocket.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
ie nintendo fans
LOL! Totally desnecessary.

dacuk

Analog triggers suck for fighting games. But they are a must for Racing games. Weird choice from Nintendo, for a system that is suppossedly hardcore-bait...

Hiltz

Having not played a 3DS yet, I can't say whether or not a circle pads would be acceptable replacement for analog sticks for Wii U.

I'm a little concerned about the placement of the 4 face buttons after Gamesradar pointed out that they're right beneath the right circle pad. Other traditional controllers have positioned them slightly above and to the right of the right analog stick. The way the Wii U has positioned the buttons, it seems like it could make it slightly harder to reach. You'd have to slide your thumb down off of the right analog stick. Gamesradar also mentioned how this could make it harder to reach the controller's triggers/bumpers as well.

The article mentions it on the second page.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/wii-u-h...ouch-screen-controller/a-20110609142650651040

Paco said:
I cursed out loud when I read this. Hated FLUDD. In any case, you're right.
Not to go too OT, but I'm pretty sure FLUDD was Nintendo's solution to depth perception issues in 3D Mario games; it allowed for fine tuning on jumps. It was then replaced by Mario's spin in the Galaxies. I wonder what they'll go with for the Wii U title.

And damn, it might be weird using the diamond button setup to control a 3D console mario, especially when those buttons are below the analog...er...circle pad.

Chittagong

Gold Member
IGN doesn't get it. The circle pads and digital triggers are part of the Nintendo's handicap to the competition. Without the handicap Nintendo would just rule the market and that wouldn't be any fun.

3DS version of the handicap is the first ever region locking in a Nintendo handheld. GameCube handicap was using the 1.5GB disc, and so forth. The better Nintendo's console the bigger the handicap.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Thoraxes said:
Maybe it's just me being raised as "FPS belong with a Mouse and Keyboard combo", but I find when I play dual-analog FPS games, I have a very hard time figuring out my controls, and I get really frustrated with the lack of precision and my inability to do well with the dual-analog setup.
Man, remember the days of FPS when you never even used a mouse? Then the mouse was added and it was a huge thing to learn for about a week then it came second nature?

Using dual sticks become second nature if you give them more time than an hour. I just do not see how people can not adapt to any control schemes?

Poyunch

Chittagong said:
IGN doesn't get it. The circle pads and digital triggers are part of the Nintendo's handicap to the competition. Without the handicap Nintendo would just rule the market and that wouldn't be any fun.

3DS version of the handicap is the first ever region locking in a Nintendo handheld. GameCube handicap was using the 1.5GB disc, and so forth. The better Nintendo's console the bigger the handicap.
DSi had region locking. :p

CoffeeJanitor said:
The Cube controller had analog shoulder buttons. See: Mario Sunshine
In fact, even the Wii Classic Controller had analog Shoulder buttons with the extra click like the GC ones. It was only with Classic Controller Pro that they had dropped it.

Terrell

Just for those who need to be assured that they're not copy-pasting the 3DS circle pad to the WiiU controller, here are comparison shots:

663px-Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.png

VS.

48d23_wii-u-controller-2-5181014.jpg

Some noticeable differences:

- The WiiU circle pads are raised significantly further away from the actual device, not closer to flush with it like on the 3DS
- WiiU circle pads appear to have a slightly larger range of motion, as evidenced by the bordering around it
- The WiiU circle pads show a small clearance between the circle pad and the area surrounding it, perhaps to implement the analog stick clicking found in other controllers in future revisions

So take from that what you will, but it appears that it's muchbetter than the 3DS circle pad for several unique design reasons. I'll have to see how it feels before I'll say anything more about it.
As for the analog triggers, I'm sure developer feedback will have them implemented, so I'm not really concerned.

The Shadow said:
ITT: People who call themselves "gamers" but don't know what a trigger is or who have apparently never touched or seen a Sony or Microsoft controller.

Or, you know. We grew up calling them shoulder buttons like NORMAL people.

Luigison

Some people still aren't seeing them so here's a quick MS Paint image:

That's what I call them anyway.

In my opinion the shoulder buttons should be digital and the triggers should be analog with a click like the GCN. After all, if Ninty wants to VC GCN with the Wii U they need the analog triggers. They also need analog for PS3 and 360 games.

As for sticks vs circle pads I don't have a 3DS and have never used a circle pad so I can't say either way.

D'oh: Why isn't bbcode working? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Arklite

Not surprised. This just goes along with the dichotomy Nintendo keeps playing at. In some ways stating that they want to be more competitive at 'core' gaming with a powerful console, yet simultaneously showing off the new system's increased 'casual' potential more than anything.

It's a casual system with the touch screen as its focus. They aren't even thinking about IGN's complaints.

iceatcs

Most worry about this controller is that I have quite large thenar on my hand and it will going to problem if the control stick/pad above the buttons.

I have always accident press 1 or 2 or wii home button when holding the Wiimote.

It need to be fixed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AceBandage said:
I never heard the term bumpers or triggers before this year, so I disagree that everyone has been calling them that.

Ok.

Everyone but YOU have been calling them that. ;)

AlphaTwo00 said:
In fact, even the Wii Classic Controller had analog Shoulder buttons with the extra click like the GC ones. It was only with Classic Controller Pro that they had dropped it.
Very true. I wonder what games even made use of those, though.

Terrell

lednerg said:
http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/gcnprot1.jpg/IMG]

Remember that?[/QUOTE]
Of course they don't. If they did, this discussion that assumes that the controller won't have revisions prior to launch wouldn't be taking place.
Ahhh, I remember people laughing at those penis-shaped controller grips back in the day...

Serenade said:
It's really just one guy. And we all know he's a super huge Nintendo nut.

That's owned every single Sony system every made while only owning 2 Nintendo consoles...
I'm sorry, but I had never seen the term trigger for a console outside of a gun con before this year in my group of friends or online.

lednerg said:
http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/gcnprot1.jpg[IMG]

Remember that?[/QUOTE]Damn that's ugly. The analog stick is an abomination, aesthetics wise.
[QUOTE=Serenade]It's really just one guy. And we all know he's a super huge Nintendo nut.[/QUOTE]That's cold. But I won't argue.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
AceBandage said:
That's owned every single Sony system every made while only owning 2 Nintendo consoles...
I'm sorry, but I had never seen the term trigger for a console outside of a gun con before this year in my group of friends or online.
ok

xxracerxx said:
Man, remember the days of FPS when you never even used a mouse? Then the mouse was added and it was a huge thing to learn for about a week then it came second nature?

Using dual sticks become second nature if you give them more time than an hour. I just do not see how people can not adapt to any control schemes?
I think the problem with a lot of people who are used to kb+m is that trying to learn how to use analog sticks well just isn't worth the trouble. You have a superior method already, so why spend time trying to learn something that just doesn't work as well?

Personally, I've decided recently that mastering how to use analog sticks in FPS games would be a nice addition to my gaming skill set. I'm certainly going to give it a try at some point.

On topic, I certainly wouldn't like to play a non-Mario Kart racer without analog triggers in this day and age.

TripOpt55

When I first saw it, I was surprised there were those circle pads instead of analog sticks. I guess I won't know until I try these, but I would think I would prefer analog sticks. I hadn't thought much about the triggers.

Serenade said:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a "Nintendo nut" but it's hardly my first and only gaming love.
I was a Sega and Sony fanboy long before this. So don't try to paint me in some broad strokes because you obviously don't know anything about me.

Exuro

Well it's a good thing to bring up now. I haven't touched a 3DS so I don't know how a slider feels but if analog is better then people should bring it up. Also, for wanting to retain a traditional controller(button wise) it is somewhat strange that they don't go ahead and copy analog triggers and clickable sticks(sliders w/e). It doesn't make sense to stick with a traditional button scheme, yet leave out those two features(essentially two extra buttons and pressure sensitive triggers). Making your controller capable of the competitors controller on top of having a touch screen is what they should be aiming for.

In other words, copy what the competitors have plus have the touchscreen. Don't half ass it. I have a feeling they wont support either feature though because other optional controllers won't have the option. Kind of sucks but I think the number of backwards compatible controllers is holding the Wii U controller back.

iceatcs

CoffeeJanitor said:
Damn that's ugly. The analog stick is an abomination, aesthetics wise.
Aye I hate that 'C' analogy stick. Even number of my mates asked me how I lose the top of this stick.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
AceBandage said:
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a "Nintendo nut" but it's hardly my first and only gaming love.
I was a Sega and Sony fanboy long before this. So don't try to paint me in some broad strokes because you obviously don't know anything about me.
ok

AceBandage said:
Why are you a "fanboy" of anything?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I always hear people talking about triggers, but I have a question about the other buttons:

Ps3 has a lot of "pressure senstive" buttons and d-pad while the Wii and 360 are digital.

What's better there?

Top Bottom