• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting game background gifs.

Dereck

Still king
uM4SUXw.gif
O____________________________________________________________________O

Skyzard

Banned
I'm impressed these more detailed animated backgrounds were even possible back in the day, the first one Choppasmith posted above looks nextgen ;)

Slightly off-topic but these animated backgrounds really make me think of "cinemagraphs" (aka "animated GIFs as art"):

d3dVV36.gif

HP6WR.gif

tumblr_lif1h7jbZp1qzcq51o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_lis12q5yqB1qzcq51o1_500.gif

R7IFN.gif

JVXbE.gif

NnAqf.gif

An HD fighting game with digitized sprites based on real actors and with cinemagraphs as backgrounds could be amazing IMO.

Even if KoF XII was, well, KoF XII, NO ONE can tell me that at the very least Russia and the stadium at night weren't great stages.

Also, the stages of KoF96 forever hold a special place in my heart.

Kof96aofbg.gif

Kof96womenbg.gif

Kof96yagamibg.gif

Kof96herobg.gif

(sadly impossible to show on the gif: the current characters' portraits on the screens)

Kof96bossbg.gif

(let's not forget this one is actually a fucking boat ride)

Kof96chizurubg.gif

Kof96goenitzbg.gif

Skyzard

Banned
^That one really is amazing.

Reminds me a lot of Soul Calibur on DC and one stage in SFxT.

The catwalk photographer and the couple dancing cinemagraphs are great too. Sony interestingly have a phone app iirc for making them but it doesn't store it offline or it saves it in a weird way or something.

Also, the stages of KoF96 forever hold a special place in my heart.
Kof96bossbg.gif

(let's not forget this one is actually a fucking boat ride)

Check out how well the animation shows the fanning - woman with the green fan on the right. Rest of it isn't quite as meticulously done but still great, probably why the fan is in quite a bright green but again, impressive stuff and really has a great atmosphere for a fight. Is there a video for the stage, you mentioned it was a boat ride?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, and people were hailing the sprite work with Superbrothers as breath-taking. This is the real deal.

Zissou

I can't check the link in the OP now (it would destroy my phone), but does it have any Cyberbots stages? I remember on the second to last stage of arcade mode (or maybe the last stage? my memory is terrible) you fight on a satellite that starts in space but then starts burning up as it re-enters the atmosphere over the course of the fight. It was fucking awesome.

Top Bottom