• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are boss fights that are really really elevated by the music? (Potential Spoilers)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
MGS RISING REVENGEANCE : The thread.
Came to make this exact post! That game is amazing but the OST sure elevates it. I love how dynamic the music is during the battle and how the lyrics wont start until the last stage of the fight.

Guess I have to put another example then. Kinda similar since this one also uses dynamic music during the fight.

contra-snes.gif

Buggy Loop

Oldie but goodie

When it kicks in at 2 minutes, which is when your party hacked away more than 50% of the boss' health, fucking epic.
Vibing White Cat GIF

Skies of Arcadia is amazing.

Drell

Honestly, I think the whole Touhou series' late game bosses and extra bosses are the definition of "being elevated by their music". But this one is my favorite of all times.

The theme begins calmly but with that aura of powerful ennemy, it grows and grows with instruments becoming more complex and some new ones appearing until that beautiful breaking point around 2:17 where emotions breaks, all the tension disappear and the theme grows to stratospheric levels until it comes back to the beginning and loops.

Sorry I'm no music expert but that's what I feel.

Best boss fight in the game:

It literally could fit in Metal Gear Revengeance or maybe a Mega Man X game. The only problem for most people is that in order to truly enjoy the track, you have to play solo (I already was), or else you'll hear this:

Constant chatter/yelling/explosions/etc.

This is what a solo boss fight sounds like (different fight but you can hear and see the difference in clarity):

Astral Dog

from a less known game, i think this battle made an impression because the music complements the kind of character you are fighting

The Sonic games, while fighting dr Eggman as the last boss is not shocking, they tried to make it sound more epic in these games with orchestra, even though its more or less a typical Eggman plot

And i thought this theme from the handheld games sounded somewhat silly at first, but its a really good dramatic piece that fits dr Eggman better than even the above

Shifty1897

All the best answers are here:
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Nier: Automata
  • Nier: Replicant
But may I suggest from Fire Emblem Three Houses:

Last edited:

Madflavor

The culmination of 10 years of storytelling. You do battle with the bringer of end times at the edge of the universe, while riding a fucking dragon. It is also the first time the main Final Fantasy theme is used during the final boss theme.

Moonlight Butterfly

Moments like this is why Dark Souls was so fucking special I thought. The music actively enhanced the boss battles and themes like this added so much mystery and unique charm.

Top Bottom