• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FFXVI was a solid 7/10 *SPOILERS*

At first, I honestly loved it. The opening hours were thrilling, the combat seemed exciting, and I would get happy when I’d acquire new Eikon abilities (though they happened more sporadically than I’d hoped).

I was happily doing sidequests and hardly skipping through any dialogue.

I feel like the game falls off a small cliff after Titan, and a major one after Bahamut.

The pacing afterwards is indeed terrible. Anything that wasn’t a Stage, at this point, and it was a cutscene with skippable dialogue, I just fast-forwarded through it (aka read the line then pressed X). For sidequests, I straight up skipped every cutscene outside of the rare real cutscenes that popped up from some. I just no longer cared, and it didn’t help that the world became even more dull-looking with the ugly pink sky.

The story was very disappointing. It was thrilling at the beginning and almost exactly my cup of tea, but the more Ultima became involved, the less I cared.

It’s incredibly uninteresting to me that the answer to basically everything was “it was Ultima.”

Hooded man? Ultima.
Mothercrystal? Ultima.
Eikons? Ultima.
Olivier? Ultima.
Everything was Ultima.

Ultima basically felt like a reincarnated Bhunivelze in terms of his motives, with a less interesting design and a less difficult boss fight.

Barnabas was a terrible villain as well; I couldn’t care less about anything that came out of his uncharismatic mouth, and that goes double for Ultima.

I also didn’t like how they did Jill quite dirty. She gets the spotlight for 30 minutes at the Iron Kingdom and that’s about it. And after the initial Barnabas fight she is basically sidelined for the entire rest of the game. Shiva deserved to have more badass scenes. Such a waste of a beautiful design and such a waste of a classy lady like Jill.

I also thought the Bearer subplot was way too heavy-handed, and the 2nd time skip was straight-up clumsy.

In the end, I felt like the game really had nothing to say. It threw away a political plot for a rehashed typical JRPG plot without the charisma.

The Eikon fights were also way too long and uninteresting. The only fights I actually enjoyed were Typhon and Titan Forms 1 and 3. The rest were way too drawn out. I also didn’t enjoy any of the so-called “spectacle” and the QTE’s feel very out-of-date.

Speaking of spectacle, the game used CGI but only heavily in early scenes (Shiva Vs Titan and Odin Vs Bahamut), and minus the character models. We have some shots like when Odin splits the sea in two where the average-looking boat is surrounded by HEAVENLY-looking, obviously CGI water. Same goes for the ending scene of Clive being surrounded by super detailed sand and water. I just do not understand why they skimped out on real CGI cutscenes for this game. It made the game feel like a spin-off. Other scenes, like mothercrystals disappearing, were just showcased via some cheap disappearing effect and a fade-to-black.

I would’ve traded the mechanically boring Eikon fights for amazing CGI cutscenes any day of the week.

And while I’m on the topic of visuals: the character models were good, not great. Certainly not amazing enough to omit CGI cutscenes. I also feel like the forest from early in the game is by far and away the most impressive location in the game. Second place goes to the first Mothercrystal. Outside of Drake’s Spine and the Naldia Narrow section, I don’t recall being impressed by anything else. The world was visually very unimaginative. And the pink sky: my god. A lot of the last portion of the game was straight up ugly thanks to it.

The music was largely good, though I was quite bothered that a lot of songs honestly used a cheap-sounding synthesizer.

I also kind of wish I didn’t bother with a lot of the sidequests because, yeah, the RPG elements in this game might as well have not existed. Upgrading is quite useless, there are only a few accessories worth using, and leveling up makes almost no noticeable difference. I could see myself replaying this game but doing almost no optional content, because, what’s the point? It’s very disappointing. FFXIII was very linear, too, but at least the accessories made a difference, upgrading weapons made a difference, and Crystarium upgrades made a HUGE difference. A lot of accessories should’ve been upgrades in the skill tree.

What really saved the game for me was the combat, though I do wish we had more buttons to use, because 6 skills seemed like too few to use at a time. Despite that, I had tons of fun stringing combos, timing dodges, etc. That didn’t get old for me. I didn’t mind the linearity; I did mind the absolutely useless rewards.

I was mostly negative in this write-up, but I did think the visuals were good, the music was good, the combat was great, but the RPG elements sucked, and the story went from great to snoozefest.

Ultima(😉)tely, I feel like the game played it very safe and I wish the dev team didn’t put so much apparent effort into these stupid gimmick Eikon fights that I will never look forward to on another playthrough. I vastly preferred boss fights with Clive. And in the end it felt like they didn’t know what to do with the politics and the world, slapped on Ultima, made it a typical “power of human will/my sidelined friends” plot and called it a day.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I have a love and hate relationship with this game.

Like you said OP, earlier hours are simply phenomenal, I would be bold to say that it was the best earlier hours a game offered me in 2023.

Presentation is top notch, gameplay just clicks, narrative is super engaging. But then, the further you progress the flatter the game becomes.

Next eidolon battle -> boring as fuck sidequests -> Next eidolon battle -> boring as fuck sidequests. The pace gets insanely bad and the narratives interest just falls off a cliff.

And once you realize exploration basically gives you no decent rewards at all and character building is non-existing...damn, it's just sad.

In the end I honestly had more fun with FFXV gameplay, exploration and narrative than FFXVI.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Seems very generous IMO, especially the part about the combat. So many useless trash mobs wasting your time with only a couple good boss fights, piss easy difficulty, etc. At some point you just give up and abuse the Garuda tornado move that breaks everything.

I went into it with rock bottom expectations coming from the trailers and was still disappointed in unexpected ways, like the music being so disappointing coming from XV.

Only thing I liked was Clive himself, a great character lost in a terrible game. I’ll never understand how it got reviewed the way it did.

Skifi28

Also loved and hated it. A game of highs and lows. The good parts are amazing while the bad parts are terrible. In the end, the overall package leans towards the positive side so I agree with the 7/10. At some point I want to replay it on final fantasy mode and just enjoy the good parts while skipping all side content.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Ultima(😉)tely
Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Hudo

I wonder what they will do for FFXVII.

If they stay fantasy or if they go back to a modern-day-based setting.

Shifty1897

First Half GIF

I was onboard with everything you said until you complained about the Eikon fights, graphics and sound. Get out of here drunk man.

I still love the game, and I think I get so frustrated because of what it could have been, if they hadn't shoved in the needless crafting and gear, the awful side quests, and edited down the story into something more digestible. It could have been the ultimate PlatinumGames action game.

If I had the time and knowledge, I would mod the PC version when it releases into just certain cutscenes and action stages, and cut out all the boring stuff. I would also mod the pre-Primogenesis sky back in.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I had more fun playing it like an mmo than the actual main story.

Damage sponge wave battles were very amateurish. The new waves just appeared.. they couldn’t even do a decent job of hiding them loading in like other games.

Bosses were wayyyy too long. Like hours long in some cases.

Equipment system was crap and sparse.

Ability system was crap and sparse.

I think if this wasn’t a mainline FF game I would probably be nicer to it but it just was in the back of head making me madder and madder that this half baked beatem up was a mainline numbered FF.

What makes to even worse is that theme wise it’s what I want a FF game to be. No modern elements.. all medieval world. Would have liked to see more main stay FF class elements though like the og classes.

2/10

Last edited:
I finished it (and Echoes) last night and I love it. Game is a solid 9/10 for me and in contention for my 2023 GOTY.

It's also the first Final Fantasy that I've ever played outside of the demo chapters of FF7R which I didn't like, so I'm not poisoned by comparing it to other FF games.

The only thing that kept it from being a 10/10 was the way that like half of the sidequests were structured.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
First three hours of Clive's youth was a fantastic taste of what to expect from the game setting up a potential scenario of a kind and upstanding youth ending up utterly broken, bitter and destroyed with a desire for revenge that spins off into more than just about himself and his birthright.

Instead after those 3 hours you've experienced everything the game has to offer... It lacks RPG elements, there's no solid party to connect and resonate with. The combat is shallow, the Eikon fights are even more shallow and all spectacle, the music doesn't stand out and if it does it's because it's either borderline plagiarizing or because it's ripping from better music from older FF games.

The game tries to detail the player in lore and history including a timeline of events that transpired but its all so boring and uninteresting. Rather than naturally progress world building through casual conversation or witnessing it through environmental storytelling the game just info dumps you hard. It's boring.

The most charismatic, well acted and amazing character in the game is a series staple that was taken from us too soon. Clive in particular and his voice actor in my opinion is a charisma vacuum as is Jill.

After the childhood's end portion of the game Cid appears with your dog immediately out of no where and the game half asses justification for it because Torgal is integral to the gameplay was fucking embarrassing.

I don't even care about Ultima, he/it/they/them was hardly the games biggest offender, just another generic big bad otherworldly being. Joshua not actually dying and then having his own personal quest but not actually shedding any light on it and comically having him nearly running into Clive last minute was like watching a fucking Carry On movie.

I forced myself to beat it and traded it in. The game isn't disappointing because it didn't do what I wanted it to, its disappointing because Yoshi-P was gassed up crazy and the dev time was running on course so well after the likes of FF XIII Versus & Kingdom Hearts III being nigh a decade long it was astounding to see a mainline FF project get announced and come out so quickly. The game just feels focused tested to fuck and has no real passion or soul behind it.

It used to make me angry but I don't even hate it anymore because a lot of people wised up and stopped trying to lie to themselves about how good it is.

XIII and XV are better and they also have problems and lack the core identity of what was FF is but at least they tried something new. If XVI was a 12-15 hour action game with no padding it could've easily been an 8 instead it's like a 5/10.

I thought it was very good but they absolutely needed to have added another 3-4 gameplay mechanics unrelated to the combat. I'm talking God of War style "Use Ifrit to burn this to solve a puzzle". And a couple of mini games. Anything to break up the super repetitive structure of the game.

The combat was great, excellent even. But it's not enough to carry a medium length RPG on its own.

The demo was amazing, so much so that I bought the game and was pretty much within a few hours I felt like I had fallen for one the oldest tricks in the book. Get super sucked into the game only to find that after the demo it's a shit load of filler nonsense with a few cool story moments here and there.

Definitely not a game I would recommend to people because its pacing is so inconsistent.

First three hours of Clive's youth was a fantastic taste of what to expect from the game setting up a potential scenario of a kind and upstanding youth ending up utterly broken, bitter and destroyed with a desire for revenge that spins off into more than just about himself and his birthright.

Instead after those 3 hours you've experienced everything the game has to offer... It lacks RPG elements, there's no solid party to connect and resonate with. The combat is shallow, the Eikon fights are even more shallow and all spectacle, the music doesn't stand out and if it does it's because it's either borderline plagiarizing or because it's ripping from better music from older FF games.

The game tries to detail the player in lore and history including a timeline of events that transpired but its all so boring and uninteresting. Rather than naturally progress world building through casual conversation or witnessing it through environmental storytelling the game just info dumps you hard. It's boring.

The most charismatic, well acted and amazing character in the game is a series staple that was taken from us too soon. Clive in particular and his voice actor in my opinion is a charisma vacuum as is Jill.

After the childhood's end portion of the game Cid appears with your dog immediately out of no where and the game half asses justification for it because Torgal is integral to the gameplay was fucking embarrassing.

I don't even care about Ultima, he/it/they/them was hardly the games biggest offender, just another generic big bad otherworldly being. Joshua not actually dying and then having his own personal quest but not actually shedding any light on it and comically having him nearly running into Clive last minute was like watching a fucking Carry On movie.

I forced myself to beat it and traded it in. The game isn't disappointing because it didn't do what I wanted it to, its disappointing because Yoshi-P was gassed up crazy and the dev time was running on course so well after the likes of FF XIII Versus & Kingdom Hearts III being nigh a decade long it was astounding to see a mainline FF project get announced and come out so quickly. The game just feels focused tested to fuck and has no real passion or soul behind it.

It used to make me angry but I don't even hate it anymore because a lot of people wised up and stopped trying to lie to themselves about how good it is.

XIII and XV are better and they also have problems and lack the core identity of what was FF is but at least they tried something new. If XVI was a 12-15 hour action game with no padding it could've easily been an 8 instead it's like a 5/10.
I love your point about Torgal.

Despite having a dedicated side quest line, I don't think they ever explain anything about him. Nor do they put enough time in the childhood years to explain the bond beyond "cute puppy likes the core party members".

And then there's the power up. Oof, the whole thing was a mess.

I mostly liked Final Fantasy 16 but I wasn't blown away by it. Visually the game is outstanding but only when you play it at 30 fps as intended as it is clear that the 'up to 60 fps' performance mode was pretty much an afterthought and the lower resolution and poor upscaling coupled with some terrible motion/camera blur makes the game a bit of an eye sore in anything but the quality mode. The PC version should fix all those problems but it won't change the core game itself.

The reason the game doesn't score high with me is the characters and story, which I didn't find particularly interesting, and the lack of a seamless open world such that it felt like I was just playing different levels which in turn diminished the atmosphere for me, especially coming from Final Fantasy 15 and 7 Remake which both delivered a much more immersive and impressive game world to explore. Final Fantasy 16 doesn't really feel like a 'next-gen' Final Fantasy game to me. It's mechanics and gameplay are very much rooted in the games of old and I could easily see this game running on last gen consoles albeit with less impressive graphics.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

The game everybody loves to hate.

But then again, I remember a ton of people bitching about FFVII Remake, and now it seems like everybody is excited for the sequel.

Great game. Sidequests was tolerable because the cast was grounded and likeable. The hype moments were unbelievable like godam I replayed that Titan fight back to back. Just the kind of crazy shit final fantasy always was. I dont think I cringe at any point in the game and thats due to it being so anti-anime in general.
I dont know how Im going to go back to anime girl sighs and oohs in vii rebirh after 100+hours of Clive manly grunts.

Valt7786

As much as I love Yoshi-P for what he did for FF14, letting him take that FF14 mindset into a single player "epic" RPG was a mistake. I mean, even 14's main storyline quests get boring as shit sometimes. Using that format for the main storyline in 16 was a terrible idea.
Nobody enjoys the kind of sidequests 16 had, they were all boring as fuck.
Not having playable party members for the last few games too is mindblowingly awful, I'd have loved to be able to switch to Jill, Torgal and Cid at will, FF7 could do it, no reason this game couldn't have either.
Ultima was bad, Joshua being alive was dumb.
So much potential it had was just wasted, and its a great shame.

I love your point about Torgal.

Despite having a dedicated side quest line, I don't think they ever explain anything about him. Nor do they put enough time in the childhood years to explain the bond beyond "cute puppy likes the core party members".

And then there's the power up. Oof, the whole thing was a mess.
I just finished it so it's fresh in my mind but they completely explain it, you need to do his sidequests (through Charon).

Fbh

The game is like a 6/10 if you take all the parts individually, but it manages to bring everything together into something greater than the sum of its parts to end up at a solid 7/10.
I don't regret buying or playing it but was a mostly average game with some cool highlights.

I agree with you in terms of story, the first half was very strong but eventually it devolves into another generic evil god plot, the entire more political and human side of the story gets thrown in the trash because "Ultima" is indeed the answer to everything. In the end the only remarkable bit about the story is that the dialogue and English voice acting is a step above most other JRPGs, it sounds more natural and believable and less "anime" (except Barnabas who sounds like Nomura came into the office and convinced them to let him guest write a character)
The side characters felt underutilized, Jill is great on paper but they sideline her, Cid was fantastic but dies too early and Joshua does nothing for 60 hours and then dies. Like at first they make you believe he is going to be this important character on a parallel quest that's going to bring tons of revelations, then he finally joins Clive and it's like "I spent all these years investigation...but I didn't find out much". It almost felt like he had a much bigger role in the story that got cut at some point.

The combat is ok but lacks variety and forces you to play on very easy. If they want to turn it into a character action game that's fine with me but make a good one, this is like DMC with no weapon variety, only the most basic of combos and forcing you to play on the easiest mode for 60 hours. The bosses are a fun to fight spectacle until you turn into Ifrit and only the spectacle remains.

The sidequest are mostly bad, the world is empty and boring with nothing to do or find, there's almost no reason to not just head straight to the glowing dot on the map, the "dungeons" are just corridors connecting combat encounters. The cities are mostly seen at distance or during cutscenes and instead you only go to generic small towns.

The RPG mechanics are laughably bad. Stores with nothing to buy, boring gear, the most basic crafting ever, a very straightforward skill tree where by the middle of the game you have more skill points than slots to equip skills

The graphics outside of cutscenes are just ok but the game runs like crap foricing you to play at 720p 60ish fps or at 30fps and even then it all looks rather soft.

The music fits but outside of a couple of highlight tracks is rather unremarkable. Most of the combat themes sound like they could have been made by Two Steps from Hell or some other stock epic music library.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

More like a solid 6.9/10 in my book.
Besides the demo section, the only part of the story that I really liked was the Dion arc.
I didn't like Cid as much as everyone else did and a big reason for that was his gravely voice. Sounds like eats a bowl of nails for breakfast.
Clive was good until the second time skip when he starts being all broody and talking the Dark Knight Batman.
Controls were good, but the overall gameplay felt mid and spammy af. Felt like my hands were gonna fall off during the boss fights with some of their massive HP pools.
The exploration was severely limited an unrewarding.
Very few RPG mechanics.
The quests were boring af and the NPCs talked too much with boring camera angles.
As far as the music goes, Away is one of the best tracks I've heard in years, but most of the other music just feels out of place or ok by comparison. I also felt gypped by the English ending music after hearing the Japanese song and how better it conveyed the emotion of the ending for me.
Didn't matter though because there were lots of other great RPGs that I played last year so I just enjoyed it for what it was and moved on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The game everybody loves to hate.
I don't know, the game has always seemed extremely coddled to me with professional critics and user reviews. There's a dedicated defense force that aggressively shut down any criticism about the game for months prior to release and months after release. It was taboo to say anything bad about the game for quite a while.

Try being a Starfield fan.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Agree with pretty much everything you said OP, but I sure wouldn’t give it a 7, for me it’s more like a 4/10.

You were more positive about the combat than I was. Most enemies just stand there like combat dummies while you chip away at their health and use your 6 moves off cooldown, it sucks so bad. I am baffled how anybody finds this game fun.

I can easily say this is the most bored I’ve ever felt in a mainline FF game and is the only one I haven’t finished. Sucks because I was so hyped for it. I was totally onboard with the DMC style combat and GoT inspired story, I thought highly of Yoshi P, they got the Capcom guy from DMC5/Dragon’s Dogma/MvC3. How could it be bad?

I so wanted this to be the game that proved that S-E still has it. That they can still take FF in exciting new directions and deliver a complete, high quality AAA JRPG in a reasonable time span. I was wrong.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I could finish a 7/10 game. I just couldn’t even will myself to turn on my PS5 to play it past 10 hours. It doesn’t help that I encountered a weird audio issue either.

Last edited:
13, 15 and 16 are all 7/10s to me.

I'm still salty Yoshi-P make the mob enemies all literal training dummies and didnt give us any difficulty select to appease to casuals "gamer pride". And like half of the game after the opening act being shitty fetch quests. He should never be allowed to work on another mainline again.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I love Ultima. His design is god tier and I love the tonal shift in the plot from revenge story to a mythological/biblical story. Barnabas the acolyte etc...

The game has its flaws (too easy so not making the most of the combat system, odd/poor pacing at times, some dodgy sidequests), but overall the highs were up there with some of the most memorable moments in the series for me, I loved the care put into crafting the mythology/world and the designs too. So if I were to score it I'd give it at 8.5/10.

7R = 9/10
15 = 6/10
13 = 6.5/10
12 = 9.5/10
6, 7, 8, 9, 10 = 10/10

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Early hours is 10/10. Its great directing, writing and voice acting, kind of reminiscent of Vagrant Story. The gameplay being limited is okay for being the opening to the game.

But then the gameplay doesn't improve at all, the story takes a dump and as OP said the first big fall was after Titan, and after Bahamut you might as well stop. It gets worse and worse. The story takes a backseat, and what remains becomes standard fare. Like how every major player in the early story devolves into a cardboard villain, more ridiculous each time. The side quests the less said about it the better.

But all of this would matter much less if the gameplay was engaging. You see, if the game had some actual RPG mechanics you might bite the bullet and do a stupid fetch quest because the payout will be sufficient. There would also be a bigger incentive to do monster hunts, which in this game are a waste of time because of the dull combat and useless payouts.

I think its either unfinished or the creators didn't know what to chase. There are different builds, but for what purpose? There are accessories.. but for what purpose? The crafting system, eikon elements... its there but it does basically nothing. Garuda has this DMC4 ish grab move, which works when 50% staggered. I would basically never sideline this eikon for this reason.

I'd give it a 6/10 at best. I didn't like it enough to see it through, I still have to do the final push.

This has been bothering me for a while, I'm genuinely curious because people say the dropoff happens after Titan. Do people legitimately like this writing?

Because I watched this and legitimately burst out laughing and immediately shared it with all my friends and we still make jokes about characters simultaneously screaming "now die" at each other.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Beside linearity, i feel it like needed more proper sidequest like older FF, i would give them 7 on the game flow, but for graphic, animation, and presentation, i would give them solid 9. The story it self is fine, at least for me. Interdimensional alien is also awesome for me.

This has been bothering me for a while, I'm genuinely curious because people say the dropoff happens after Titan. Do people think legitimately like this writing?

Because I watched this and legitimately burst out laughing and immediately shared it with all my friends and we still make jokes about characters simultaneously screaming "now die" at each other.

I mean, no, I didn’t like the DBZ cheesy parts, either.

sigmaZ

This has been bothering me for a while, I'm genuinely curious because people say the dropoff happens after Titan. Do people think legitimately like this writing?

Nope. Cringe af.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I certainly enjoyed it more than X, XIII and XV, but I had high expectations due to how good XIV is. But compared to the quality the series has devolved into, I'll take it as a win.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Early hours is 10/10. Its great directing, writing and voice acting, kind of reminiscent of Vagrant Story. The gameplay being limited is okay for being the opening to the game.

But then the gameplay doesn't improve at all, the story takes a dump and as OP said the first big fall was after Titan, and after Bahamut you might as well stop. It gets worse and worse. The story takes a backseat, and what remains becomes standard fare. Like how every major player in the early story devolves into a cardboard villain, more ridiculous each time. The side quests the less said about it the better.

But all of this would matter much less if the gameplay was engaging. You see, if the game had some actual RPG mechanics you might bite the bullet and do a stupid fetch quest because the payout will be sufficient. There would also be a bigger incentive to do monster hunts, which in this game are a waste of time because of the dull combat and useless payouts.

I think its either unfinished or the creators didn't know what to chase. There are different builds, but for what purpose? There are accessories.. but for what purpose? The crafting system, eikon elements... its there but it does basically nothing. Garuda has this DMC4 ish grab move, which works when 50% staggered. I would basically never sideline this eikon for this reason.

I'd give it a 6/10 at best. I didn't like it enough to see it through, I still have to do the final push.
I still think this game started as a DMC style FF spinoff game, then they decided to expand it into a mainline game and crammed it full of pointless half baked bullshit.

LOL this is like some WWE wrestlers talking shit before a match.

There was one scene where one guy is talking and saying some surprising things that cause the audience to erupt into murmurs as they grumble amongst themselves, but you can tell it’s just a few guys making weird murmuring noises and it sounds so fucking stupid. I’ll see if I can find it later, that one had me cracking up.

SkylineRKR

I remember the murmuring, I believe its when that emperor guy suddenly declares war.

Storywise and dialogues are already awful well before Titan (as I said, villains quickly degrade into cardboards.. Kupka being a good example), but after that fight the entire game goes down the shitter with fetch quests becoming mandatory to progress. The worst being one where you need to fetch materials to make or repair a boat.. and then its used by an NPC who you in turn have to find afterwards. Something like that.

I didn't like the Eikon battles in general. They can take about an hour, they lack any form of challenge, they are filled with QTE and automated scenes. You can try to use skills etc but all you need to do is attack to meet a treshold so that the game takes over and does the actual big damage for you. There isn't really more to this. You typically have enough heals to make it easily and if you fail then you start filled up at the latest treshold anyway.

Maybe its nitpicking but the girl enchanting your sword with Ice AFTER you beat a fire boss just for a cutscene, and the fact some enemies cast spells like Barrier on themselves was sort of insulting as well. Like, why can't I do these basic RPG things?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I remember the murmuring, I believe its when that emperor guy suddenly declares war.

Storywise and dialogues are already awful well before Titan (as I said, villains quickly degrade into cardboards.. Kupka being a good example), but after that fight the entire game goes down the shitter with fetch quests becoming mandatory to progress. The worst being one where you need to fetch materials to make or repair a boat.. and then its used by an NPC who you in turn have to find afterwards. Something like that.

I didn't like the Eikon battles in general. They can take about an hour, they lack any form of challenge, they are filled with QTE and automated scenes. You can try to use skills etc but all you need to do is attack to meet a treshold so that the game takes over and does the actual big damage for you. There isn't really more to this. You typically have enough heals to make it easily and if you fail then you start filled up at the latest treshold anyway.

Maybe its nitpicking but the girl enchanting your sword with Ice AFTER you beat a fire boss just for a cutscene, and the fact some enemies cast spells like Barrier on themselves was sort of insulting as well. Like, why can't I do these basic RPG things?
My favorite quest was that one where the lady is like “help me! My kids’ clothing is falling apart and I can’t repair their clothes without fabric! I ordered some fabric from some random shop stall half a continent away from here but they haven’t delivered it yet, probably because we live in the middle of a poisonous lake in the middle of a deserted hellscape. Can you go find out what happened to my fabric”

Yeah lady that is a reasonable thing to ask your boss’s boss to do.

Then you go investigate and find out
it was fucking BANDITS!!! Damn what a plot twist, bandits took the fabric.
What an emotional rollercoaster.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I was absurdly hyped for the game, and amusingly enough, you’re more generous than I am. It’s a 6/10 game IMO at best, carried heavily by great voice acting, good localization, and an excellent soundtrack though the best song was Away, played in the first three minutes of playing. The first act was great, incredible character interaction and banter. Then the keystone is removed and the entire bridge collapses under its own weight.

The world building and political intrigue is all window dressing, Potemkin village type stuff. It’s a lot like Trails games, everything devolves into shonen anime bullshit in the end.

Such a waste.

My favorite quest was that one where the lady is like “help me! My kids’ clothing is falling apart and I can’t repair their clothes without fabric! I ordered some fabric from some random shop stall half a continent away from here but they haven’t delivered it yet, probably because we live in the middle of a poisonous lake in the middle of a deserted hellscape. Can you go find out what happened to my fabric”

Yeah lady that is a reasonable thing to ask your boss’s boss to do.

Then you go investigate and find out
it was fucking BANDITS!!! Damn what a plot twist, bandits took the fabric.
What an emotional rollercoaster.
Oh yeah I felt like half the sidequests involved #Mythos killing bandits.

Beechos

Prob a 6/7 for me too. Prologue/first act was a 10 amazing. The game fell off a cliff for me after the ifrit/Phoenix fight. I slogged my way through it hoping it would reach some of those highs again. The titan and bahamut fights were pretty cool but way too long. I forget which one was like a 30 min boss battle. Now that I think of it I think it was the ifrit vs ifrit that was like a 30 min boss fight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom