• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FFXVI was a solid 7/10 *SPOILERS*

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh yeah I felt like half the sidequests involved #Mythos killing bandits.
- walk into town and talk to guy with quest marker over his head who yaps about something you don’t care about

- quest marker appears over 3 other characters who each give you some tidbit of information

- you solved the mystery: it must’ve been the bandits who live in their bandit cave like 500 feet from the town!

- kill the bandit leader and turn in to get your shitty reward

There that’s like 50% of FF XVI. I’m gonna puke if I see another side quest that formulaic.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts, although for me the combat system wasn't to my taste and could not hold up for the length of game it was.

Mid has got to be one of the worst characters in a game of recent memory, along side history/map woman (I forget her name) they went straight to the "skip cut scene" bin after a very short time.

Side-note: as a British person, I hate that Game of Thrones started this obsession with "regional" British accents.

I would probably rate FF16 a solid 5/10 (based on the actual 1-10 scale :) )

Hunter 99

Agree with your summary 100% OP.the side quests were terrible and the dialogue during some parts was a snoozefest. I finished it a couple of days ago and felt satisfied enough.but I only done like 5 sidequests 3-4 hours in then just stuck to the main story. I liked the eikon battles though!
I'm more excited for ff7 part 2 as I loved remake.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s fucking great. They should’ve removed some mmo quality bloat from the main game though. Keep the game more tight like the prologue.

Last edited:

Raven117

Its like two different teams made it (which I think they did).

The first part of the game looked like a Game of Thrones type political intrigue game....but then it all fell apart and became "kill a god" yet a again (with pacing issues to boot).

I want a Clive(itcher) game. Do it Square. DO IT!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its like two different teams made it (which I think they did).

The first part of the game looked like a Game of Thrones type political intrigue game....but then it all fell apart and became "kill a god" yet a again (with pacing issues to boot).

I want a Clive(itcher) game. Do it Square. DO IT!
That demo was so fucking good. It slapped so hard, that it actually makes rest of the game look worse lol. That demo alone might be the best game of 2023 lol

I agree with a many of those criticisms, especially that the dumb, ugly filter put over the screen for last 1/4 to 1/3 of the game makes the gazillions of yen spent on the game's graphics moronically pointless.

But I'm gonna squeak it up to 8/10. I just love the feel of Clive combat, and all the awesome satisfying visual effects from the cool moves you can use so much. I'm actually really looking forward to playing the dlc and hopefully getting some challenging clive vs a big monster type fights.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
That demo was so fucking good. It slapped so hard, that it actually makes rest of the game look worse lol. That demo alone might be the best game of 2023 lol
I’ve never had a demo get me so hyped for a game that I completely fell off midway through. Complete whiplash from the hard M rating writing to bullshit MMO quests and tedium.

Raven117

yup. Felt like we were promised a very different game than what we ultimately got.

I still enjoyed it, but… yeah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom