• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One controller update going out to preview members

Thats not what he is talking about. He is not updating his controller
Sorry I misread, but the solution for such a problem could be that he needs to update his controller firmware with the headset attachment connected, worth a try when the update is available to those not in the preview program.

GHG

Gold Member
Sorry I misread, but the solution for such a problem could be that he needs to update his controller firmware with the headset attachment connected, worth a try when the update is available to those not in the preview program.

Done that. Dozens of times in fact.

I've been told by xbox support that is a "known issue" but no solution or fix has been forthcoming.

I'd be curious to see if this firmware update fixes this problem.

Man this was one of my initial complaints with the system that turning the controller on takes way too long. Then I guess I got used to it.

Can't wait to try it.

statham

even holding down the controller button to turn off the console is faster & console seems to shut down way faster (could be placebo)

•Stability improvements – the firmware also provides a number of fixes that address issues submitted by customers and preview participants

Hope this addresses the random disconnects and I don't need to buy a new controller...

FZW

Just updated it and wow the controller connects almost instantly! It even feels like it turns the console on much faster...

idk about the disconnects though, I only got them once in a blue moon but if I do get them ill mention it here.

Majine

Banned
This sounds lazy as fuck, but I wish when you turn on the console using Kinect, that it turns on your controller too. Is that a limit of the tech?

Qassim

This sounds lazy as fuck, but I wish when you turn on the console using Kinect, that it turns on your controller too. Is that a limit of the tech?

The tech probably isn't there unless it was plugged in via USB at the time. Although I use my Xbox One for weeks at a time without even touching the controller, so that sort of thing isn't something I would want without an option to disable it :p

Majine

Banned
The tech probably isn't there unless it was plugged in via USB at the time. Although I use my Xbox One for weeks at a time without even touching the controller, so that sort of thing isn't something I would want without an option to disable it :p

Sure. I just thought since the Xbox turns on every goddamn thing in my TV setup, the fact that I still have to manually turn on the controller... 1st world problems!

That would require to have the controller listening for a "turn-on-signal" all the time, which basically would mean that the controller is always on in kind of a low power state. It would still drain the battery though.

I don't think we will see that as a feature - interesting as it would be - especially for the "find my controller" feature they added.

Marvel

could never
GT: St Jesus Christ
lol

If anyone wants to throw me an invite to this, my pad isn't stable lol.

Pimpbaa

Really hope it fixes static and audio dropouts when using the stereo headset adapter. How long do these updates take to come out for people who are not preview members?

Really hope it fixes static and audio dropouts when using the stereo headset adapter. How long do these updates take to come out for people who are not preview members?

It will come when the OS update is publically available. It should be in the first two weeks of February.

ohlawd

Have we really reached a point where CONTROLLERS need updates to work properly :(

read the update

I got hit with the problems and I still don't know if it fixes them but the main focus on the controller update is the quick connect. how is that not beneficial to everyone?

nice try

Done that. Dozens of times in fact.

I've been told by xbox support that is a "known issue" but no solution or fix has been forthcoming.

I'd be curious to see if this firmware update fixes this problem.

So you know they are working on it and reached out for help through Xbox already, but ask us why isn't there a fix yet for you? ...

hmmmmm

So confused.

dzelly

Microsoft is really working hard on regular updates for the X1 hardware. If I played it more often, I'm sure I'd appreciate it even more.

As far as I'm concerned, this is great work.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Hope this addresses the random disconnects and I don't need to buy a new controller...
Your controller dont have any problem. The problem is inside the console in the most of scenarios means to replace the console for a new one.Strange problems with the controller with the xbox one.

Orca

Ok but what about the rest of us?

I have a problem where everytime I add/remove a wired headset from the controller using the headset adapter my controller desyncs and only hard rebooting the console will then allow me to resync the controller.

I'd like this to be fixed.

I use my headset every day and frequently disconnect to listen to the kids, either by pulling the wire out or the adapter entirely, and I've never had that issue. What headset do you have?

U2NUMB

Have we really reached a point where CONTROLLERS need updates to work properly :(

Why the hell is this a bad thing? Having the ability to make the controller better is great! I just simply do not understand how someone has to be negative about something like this.

Anyways.. I sure hope this helps the disconnect issues.

Lol, controller updates... Now we can't even have stable controllers day 1.

Guess I'll be updating...

Why the hell is this a bad thing? Having the ability to make the controller better is great! I just simply do not understand how someone has to be negative about something like this.

Anyways.. I sure hope this helps the disconnect issues.
Because something like the controller randomly disconnecting shouldn't be an issue in the first place, or even more than a year after launch.

We've definitely reached the point where people will complain about literally everything.
We can't complain about hardware necessary when using the console not working properly more than a year after release?

U2NUMB

Lol, controller updates... Now we can't even have stable controllers day 1.

Guess I'll be updating...

Because something like the controller randomly disconnecting shouldn't be an issue in the first place, or even more than a year after launch.

But that is only part of this update.. They are fixing connection times as well, with as many updates as this system has had at times something will go wrong. We can not be happy with 12 big updates a year and then complain when something goes wrong. As long as they have a way to fix it and then do... I do not get the idea that being able to update the controller is bad.

But that is only part of this update.. They are fixing connection times as well, with as many updates as this system has had at times something will go wrong. We can not be happy with 12 big updates a year and then complain when something goes wrong. As long as they have a way to fix it and then do... I do not get the idea that being able to update the controller is bad.
I'm saying that the fact that any serious issus exist with the controller in the first place is a problem.

Also, still find it dumb that their preview program isn't just something you can opt for, because then everybody's just begging for an invite.

U2NUMB

I'm saying that the fact that any serious issus exist with the controller in the first place is a problem.

Also, still find it dumb that their preview program isn't just something you can opt for, because then everybody's just begging for an invite.

I don't disagree as it has been an annoying problem.. I am just happy this might solve it.

I agree 100 percent that the invite system needs to go away.. Every thread is filled with people begging for invites, just make it a beta opt in on the console.

I wonder if they used the same technology as the 360 for the Xbox One, would people still complain? Or perhaps if they used Bluetooth they would call them unoriginal? lol never a bright side of life for many people i see.

I mean we get updates for almost everything we use on a daily basis. For example everyone's smartphone receives updates for their apps, firmware, etc. constantly. this isn't anything new, at all. I kinda want to label them as trolls? Am i reaching to far?

Derpyduck

Banned
We can't complain about hardware necessary when using the console not working properly more than a year after release?

Complaining about the ability to fix and or improve hardware post-release is not the same as complaining about something needing to be fixed a year after release.

~3 seconds difference?

Okay.
Annoying if I need to turn on the controller to pause a movie or show. What kind of comment is that anyway? Is it so crazy that I like an improvement that you obviously don't think is a big deal? Is this some weird console warrior bullshit or something? Are you that petty?

StUnNeR H2K

Was anyone having random disconnect issues before this update, and can verify the issue is gone? I'm still dealing with the occasional (once an hour on avg.) random controller disconnect, and have not been able to pin the source of the issue. Have turned of all wireless devices in the house (xbox is hardwired) and still have the issue.

Top Bottom