• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Colbert

Banned
Colbert after reading this:

gof13.gif

I am much more pretty than a klingon :)

Vizzeh

Banned
on another positive, goodluck US, us UK/EU peeps get to sit back and watch this madness (or lack of)

-Nah really, I want my console tonight!!!

Salex_

I don't see the outrage over a handful of people reporting problems. I seen many PS4 streams and a few people were streaming for hours while not having any problems besides the Twitch app crashing. If this was a big problem, hundreds of people would talk about their situation on Twitter/Facebook/Youtube/Reddit.

We'll know everything in the next 24 hours, I bet people are overreacting for no reason.

Moze

Banned
Guess we will see just how bad this is within the next 2 weeks. Seems to be random faults rather than overheating though?

coreyerb

Banned
So at 0.04% (so far) and industry standard at 3-4%...... we are perfectly okay :) - and would actually be proud numbers
At least the IGN article cited their sources for those failure rates, but a survey of 5,000 magazine readers isn't exactly a reliable poll.

Now, Sony's 0.04 percent figure is based on what? How many people contacted support in the first week pre-launch? Do they even say what numbers they're using to claim 0.04 percent?

Okay how about this?

Even 2 years launch(first Q of 08) They picked out 2500 new 360's and 2500 new PS3's at random.

360 failure was at 23.7% (12% b/c of RRoD, 11.7% b/c of other)

PS3 Failure was at 10%

So i really don't think out of 4500 consoles we've only heard of less than 12 consoles screwing up, that there should be a panick.

Jburton

Banned
I don't see the outrage over a handful of people reporting problems. I seen many PS4 streams and a few people were streaming for hours while not having any problems besides the Twitch app crashing. If this was a big problem, hundreds of people would talk about their situation on Twitter/Facebook/Youtube/Reddit.

We'll know everything in the next 24 hours, I bet people are overreacting for no reason.

Oh there are reasons, there are reasons.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Might have already been sent, but 0.4% of shipped mean nothing, when 90% of the stock haven't reached consumers yet.

And if you read through the read you'd know that Yoshida clarified that he was reffering to pre-launch consumers, aka the press and taco bell winners.

GavinGT

Banned
Well it can't be .04%. It could be .4%, but I think it's more likely that the number is actually 4%. Whoever came up with the figure probably did something like 200/5000 = .04 . Then he forgot to multiply by 100 when converting it to a percent.

Except the Xbox's didn't fail on Day 1, they failed over time. These are dead within 24 hours.

Okay how about this?

Even 2 years launch(first Q of 08) They picked out 2500 new 360's and 2500 new PS3's at random.

360 failure was at 23.7% (12% b/c of RRoD, 11.7% b/c of other)

PS3 Failure was at 10%

So i really don't think out of 4500 consoles we've only heard of less than 12 consoles screwing up, that there should be a panick.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well it can't be .04%. It could be .4%, but I think it's more likely that the number is actually 4%. Whoever came up with the figure probably did something like 200/5000 = .04 . Then he forgot to multiply by 100 when converting it to a percent.
A) I agree
B) they are probably using data from customer service. So if the person hasn't called service, they are not being counted.

Arcayne

Well, that sucks. Console launch editions commonly have problems regardless so its understandable from a statistical perspective.

I'll be patiently waiting for the ps4 slim-erer edition. For the people that get defective units though... greatness
a
waits.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's because that Xbox fanboys are trolling & laughing about PS4's hardware problems. They're just asking to be trolled back if Xbox One has many hardware issues, so if I was an Xbox fanboy, I'd keep myself quiet.
Wtf is this shit. I'm so tired of everyone being a hysterical baby.

Quiet you! I'm on the line with Amazon right now working to get my console preorders routed to my new address in Lagos, Nigeria.

Don't forget to read over his Facebook page that he posted so you can find personal info to use in case they ask you a security question.

MS are probably gloating and laughing their asses off right now, this couldn't have come at a better time for them lol. There goes that PS4 domination in the US rofl. This is fucking PR win for MS, and a PR disaster for Sony, right when the console is about to launch in their most important market at the moment.

XBOX ONE, the console that won't breakdown on you!

Trust us, we've learnt our lesson from the RROD fiasco!

Sony hasn't.

not sure if serious.....?

ethomaz

Banned
My guesses....

Sony shipped 200k units until now.

0.04% of 200k = 80 units that reported failure.

The key here is how many units Sony shipped (I guess it is way over 200k) and how many guys reported the issue to Sony (I'm pretty sure not everybody reported to Sony)... and of course that some issues won't happen day 1 but maybe week 1, month 1 or year 1.

To start to think in a new RROD we need at least 1k reports of failures... I think we are far way from that.

Opiate

"A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4
systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction,
and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these
are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch."
-Sony 2013

"A handful of people have reported issues with their Xbox 360 consoles. Failure rates are within our expectations for a new product introduction... We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but reports show these are isolated incidents ...."
-Microsoft, 2005

THIS IS A JOKE!!

That spoiler was not there initially. It is my very strong suggestion that you watch yourself in the future. I could easily ban you permanently (given that you're a junior) and it would be completely allowed.

If your joke is indistinguishable from a real claim and particularly if you're a new user that nobody knows (which means we have no idea what your personality is like), the end result of your "joke" is that dozens of people have to go rifling through the internets looking for a source for your quotation before finding out it isn't real. It's time wasted. If there was some reasonable way to know ahead of time you were joking, this would be different, but there wasn't; it is entirely plausible Microsoft said something very similar back in 2005. It happens they didn't, but it's not so unreasonable as to be obviously false.

GavinGT

Banned
My guesses....

The key here is how many units Sony shipped (I guess it is way over 200k) and how many guys reported the issue to Sony (I'm pretty sure not everybody reported to Sony)... and of course that some issues won't happen day 1 but maybe week 1, month 1 or year 1.

To start to think in a new RROD we need at least 1k reports of failures... I think we are far way from that.

They've shipped way more than 200k by now. It would be really disingenuous to count units that aren't in customers' hands, though. The sample size is more likely about 5000 (Taco Bell contest winners + game journalists).

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
My guesses....

They're referring to units shipped for the Taco Bell promotion and review units. This doesn't include what was shipped for the official launch.

lifa-cobex

If I keep doing math, maybe the problem will solve itself.

Come on ppl. You're not going to know until you get it home.
No matter how much you decide on percentages.

Keep positive :)

Top Bottom