• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone own Battlezone VR? I played the demo and it's one of the few psvr games to give me the sense of presence in VR. Is it worth 39.99 (bestbuy price)?

Its decent. I like the gameplay a lot and the presentation is good but ultimately if you will like it or not will depend on if you like the specific rouge-like structure it has. Even though I really enjoy the gameplay and think the difficulty level is fine it is missing that something extra to make me want to replay the game and I really like rouge-likes. If it had that something extra, either randomness that create wildly unique runs (the binding of Isaac) or a permanent unlock system (Diablo 2) then it would probably be a game I'd highly recommend to everyone.

I have to admit I have been waiting and waiting for psvr. But I don't want to get burnt by Sony! I hope to see lots of New announcements at gdc2017 then and maybe only then will I get one.

I am really dying to purchase but 350.00 is a lot of money!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. GDC even though it has been the conference where Sony has shown the PSVR in most detail over the last few years has never been the E3 sort of show that announces loads of games, it is dev focused and even though there has been announcements they haven't been the larger kind as it is a totally different audience than what you get at the press focused events. At the most I wouldn't expect more than two new announcements and most likely will focus on things like the aim. However looking at the GDC planner I haven't seen anything announced from Sony yet. There are some good talks from their studios but nothing the main company as of yet, however they have the largest exhibition space next to Oculus.

KyleCross

Just tried out VR on YouTube and came to a very disappointing revelation.

Because PSVRs breakout box is limited to 1080p you cannot view YouTube videos in 4K because it only delivers the highest resolution your display can handle. Games can get around this by rendering the game at a higher resolution and downsampling it to 1080p, but YouTube doesn't do this.

Really don't know what Sony was thinking when they made the breakout box not to the same display standards as the Pro.

Because PSVRs breakout box is limited to 1080p you cannot view YouTube videos in 4K because it only delivers the highest resolution your display can handle. Games can get around this by rendering the game at a higher resolution and downsampling it to 1080p, but YouTube doesn't do this.

Really don't know what Sony was thinking when they made the breakout box not to the same display standards as the Pro.

Thought the breakout box could handle 4K, but the limitation was that it can't handle HDR?

Edit: Am I not interpreting things correctly?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.poly...ystation-vr-4k-hdr-pass-through?client=safari

androvsky

Thought the breakout box could handle 4K, but the limitation was that it can't handle HDR?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.poly...ystation-vr-4k-hdr-pass-through?client=safari
Pretty sure you're right.
you’ll be able to use your PS4 as usual — as long as the box is plugged in and the headset is off. That also applies for the PS4 Pro and 4K content, since the pass-through feature can handle 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) at up to 60 frames per second.

Does the youtube app even do standard 4k videos on Pro? Usually consoles have gimped youtube quality over PC in my experience.

KyleCross

Does the youtube app even do standard 4k videos on Pro? Usually consoles have gimped youtube quality over PC in my experience.
Yes, it was updated to allow 4k on Pro a short while after Pro came out.

It passes through 4k to your television, but if you go into the display settings via the headset it displays a message saying its capped at 1080p, therefore YouTube doesn't display 4k.

Planet

What the breakout box can pass through or not or the headset can display natively has absolutely nothing to do with the resolution of the YouTube VR stream. Even if the app would pick the 4K video if available (which it doesn't seem to do, 1440p instead), only part of that video is on display at any time. The stream is the full picture, including the parts currently out of your fov. The PS4 is doing the image processing here.

So even if we had 4K as raw material, the actual viewing window would still be a less than perfect match for the display matrix. With 1440p, it just reaches acceptable levels IMHO. The question is, why doesn't the app manage to give us the best possible stream? I can't imagine processing power being an issue.

Just had a full day of VR before the semester starts tomorrow T_T

-Played around Youtube 360 (Not bad, just wish we can be able to position the screen since a lot of the videos are misplaced, forcing me to re calibrate different position to get the screen right.)
-Tried to play REVII demo to prepare for the real thing...
giphy.gif

-Tried to finish Robinson The Journey (pretty much rage quitted during the end of the game)
-Played a couple of levels of Battlezone (So good but a tad repetitive)
-Played a few levels of Tumble VR (Good but mentally frustrating, maybe because I'm still vacation mode XD)
-Played Area 2 in Rez Infinite (Playing an Area per month because I don't want the game to end)
-Watched Raider of The Lost Ark on BluRay (Love the theater like experience, plus it's an old film and it goes well with the quality of the VR)

So yeah, fun day. Probably going to be a while until I put it on again with Q1 games, semester and work. Hopefully we get a VR sale because there are a lot of game I'd like to try out.

ffvorax

I started to play again Robinson... wow, I didn't played for a bit VR (actually I needed to finish SteinsGate0 on the VITA <3 ) and I was blown away... it's so immersive lol, had no memory of it to be so good! :D

Robinson has really some good graphic, I always remember the comparison that came out here on gaf when it was released and looked like shit, but actually is one of the best PSVR game out there. And I'm on the OG PS4.

For sure it's hard to play long sessions on this game, I don't feel really sick, but for sure after 20-30m I start to sweat a bit, and when I stop I feel a bit dizzy for a while... the movements for sure are the cause... but that's ok anyway.

Dinosaurs are really amazing to see on VR.

mr lurtle

I really liked Robinson and finished it in one session. Sadly as the story really gets going it ends and I guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a sequel.

Finally played Rez in VR last weekend. I had played the Xbox360 version before and never really got into it but in VR it's so awesome and Area X just blew my mind. Let's hope Area X is a taste of more Rez in the future.

muteki

Youtube finally updated here and I got to mess around with it this weekend.

So many korean dancing videos lol.

There are some that are 3D 360 and they do work with the PSVR but the calibration is a bit off. It is a little blurry/have to cross my eyes a bit for it to look right and I don't need to do this for games so I guess it is a youtube problem.

Otherwise, much more content than the other video apps. 360 HD is pretty blurry but the 4K ones are pretty clear. The interface for finding stuff is pretty crap though on PS4, but you can search on PC and filter on 360/4K and add to your favorite list to watch on PS4 later.

Hasney

Youtube finally updated here and I got to mess around with it this weekend.

So many korean dancing videos lol.

There are some that are 3D 360 and they do work with the PSVR but the calibration is a bit off. It is a little blurry/have to cross my eyes a bit for it to look right and I don't need to do this for games so I guess it is a youtube problem.

Otherwise, much more content than the other video apps. 360 HD is pretty blurry but the 4K ones are pretty clear. The interface for finding stuff is pretty crap though on PS4, but you can search on PC and filter on 360/4K and add to your favorite list to watch on PS4 later.

Here's hoping that 4.5 FW has VR media player support

Wollan

Resident Evil 7 reviews have come in and it sounds like a milestone VR game.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/23/resident-evil-7-biohazard-review-survival-horror-reborn-6400456/
We should emphasise that these are relatively minor quibbles with the balancing and pacing, and we still thoroughly enjoyed all 12 hours of the campaign. And in any case, there is one way to compensate for almost all the faults: by playing the game with PlayStation VR. So much so that we'd suggest adding an extra point to the score if that's the way you intend to experience it.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/23/resid...survival-horror-reborn-6400456/#ixzz4WbRLOSFn

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...is-the-game-horror-fans-have-been-waiting-for
Capcom's releasing Resident Evil 7 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, but you should play it on PS4; VR is the way to experience this. There's nothing else like it. I've spent hours playing it outside of VR and it's not the same. Whatever detail is lost in strapping on a headset running at a lower resolution was easily made up by the cold sweat constantly running down my neck. VR adds a depth to the Baker family's grossly detailed home that was, at times, too much. In VR, I'd crane my neck around corners, trying to get a sense of what's ahead, or swivel my head, à la The Exorcist, to keep an eye on whatever grotesque, lumbering creature was chasing, as I sprinted away. And the jump scares&#8212;god damn, the jump scares.

When I played Resident Evil 7 in VR last year, I wrote about how it made me want to throw up, despite VR not usually having that effect on me. I was enormously worried this would be a problem in the final game, but thankfully, I found a solution. By default, when you switch VR on, moving the analog stick left or right will sharply shift your perspective by 30 degrees, not smoothly rotate it. It's jarring at first, and feels a little like you're changing scenes in Myst, but it only took a few minutes to settle in. You can change this and allow the analog stick to adjust your direction the way you'd expect, but like the E3 demo, it made me nauseous. That's been the experience of other writers I've talked with, too.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/resident-evil-7-biohazard-review/1900-6416603/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b
While RE7 does not contain multiplayer, you can play the entire campaign on PSVR. Fundamentally, the content remains the same, but the way you experience that content certainly differs. Overall, VR works well: the graphics hold up, aiming feels intuitive (especially since you can partially aim simply by turning your head), and horror just generally feels more real and immediate when it occupies your entire field of view. And importantly, RE7 does everything it can to deliver a top-tier experience, including a robust suite of options designed to minimize discomfort. While I can't imagine playing the entire 12-hour campaign with a headset on, RE7 is undoubtedly an amazing option for VR fans.

http://www.gamesradar.com/resident-...e=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grtw
this is a great horror game, and that's without mentioning the added danger of playing in PSVR, where the mildewy atmosphere gets into your soul. I played the opening hour and a few other levels in virtual reality and screamed a lot, ending up, during one extended sequence, curled foetal on my side attempting to balance playing and hiding at the same time. It didn't work very well. It's terrifying, and there are sections I played in normal TV-o-vision that I don't think I could have done in VR.

igotpaid

I got RIGS and Battlezone on Best Buy's sale this week and RE7 preordered with the Visa checkout deal.

I hope I can adjust to RIGS. I don't get nauseous in VR, but RIGS messed me up by the end of the tutorial. I can't decide if head or stick movement is the way to go. I'll give it another go later. Any settings tips to make it playable?

sinkfla87

I got RIGS and Battlezone on Best Buy's sale this week and RE7 preordered with the Visa checkout deal.

I hope I can adjust to RIGS. I don't get nauseous in VR, but RIGS messed me up by the end of the tutorial. I can't decide if head or stick movement is the way to go. I'll give it another go later. Any settings tips to make it playable?

I was asking the same questions earlier because man, did I vomit a weekend's worth of lunch from playing RIGS haha. Using the right stick movement as suggested from several gaffers definitely helps. The head turn method is a one way ticket to the toilet. Also, play in short sessions and build up your tolerance over time. These suggestions given to me definitely helped, though I haven't had a whole ton of time to play as much as I want to :(. How is battlezone?

BONUS TIP I HAVEN'T TRIED YET: Dramamine.

tr00per

Depends on the person. I use stick turning, turn off the eject cam, turn off the "comfort" setting (the periscope effect) and probably the most important thing is to avoid looking at a different direction than you are moving.

And remember that you need to slowly build your VR tolerance. Don't try to power through it.

Glix

Play a bunch of Battlezone to get your legs. It doesn't have head aiming so its much easier on your senses.

Then start playing rigs in short bursts and work your way up to longer sessions.

Psykotik

crossposting from the re7 ot.

the game just unlocked on psn in asia about an hour ago. played the first 50 minutes in VR. oh my god, this game. i dont think i've ever recoiled in horror as much as i have in any other game. i was literally pushing myself back into my seat at certain points. re7 in VR is sooo good.

this is the real deal in vr. a must play.

nampad

Is the Beginning Hours demo part of the full game, e.g. if I play the demo I have to play that part again in the full game?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is the Beginning Hours demo part of the full game, e.g. if I play the demo I have to play that part again in the full game?

No, completely separate standalone experience.

Upload VR Resi Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAfYUjpdKA

PushSquare Resi Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdfzqeNmOA

PushSquare guy make a lot of sweeping general statements based on his experience and tries to make them facts. I had no problem with HMD aiming. Boss fights in VR are a challenge when you are not use to controls and you're scared shitless with your first fight. You are not in "GOD" mode anymore so you must learn your environment. in "god" mode you can just jaunt away with the controller no problems. In VR you turn your back and you are blind, again learn your environment plot and plan before the fight and it becomes easier.

crossposting from the re7 ot.

the game just unlocked on psn in asia about an hour ago. played the first 50 minutes in VR. oh my god, this game. i dont think i've ever recoiled in horror as much as i have in any other game. i was literally pushing myself back into my seat at certain points. re7 in VR is sooo good.

this is the real deal in vr. a must play.

oh man, I wasn't planning on ever getting this but you guys are getting me HYPED.

Kyolux

Getting RE7 later down the line. Too many games that are more important to me for now. But I'll probably try and watch a playthrough this week on youtube or something.

The RE7 reviews are better than expected, 86 on metacritic so far, according to the review thread.

I haven't preordered, but might get it later this week. It's £40 on Amazon with Prime and I might have the day off work on Friday.

can somebod y that has played RE 7 on PSVR post the best settings for comfort (RE7 menu settings?) I will get my game tomorrow, and would like to start right away. thanks

Wollan

I hear the default is already 30degree instant turns (kinda like Myst or a dungeon crawler but with more granularity). Unless you're *<25 you should probably stick to that.

Anyone know how much of a gain the Pro offers vs base for RE7 in VR? I've seen a number of comparisons for non-VR but am having trouble finding PSVR comparisons or impressions of the two

Shoeless

Getting RE7 later down the line. Too many games that are more important to me for now. But I'll probably try and watch a playthrough this week on youtube or something.

Yeah, this is me as well. There a lot of smaller games that need the love, like Gravity Rush 2, and Yakuza 0. RE7 will be fine without my support at launch, and I'm not in a rush to play it anyway, since it will be terrifying. I'll probably pick up later when the price of the digital deluxe/premium edition has gone down.

ryushe

So, I've been out of the VR scene for a while.
Now, I love the PSVR, but as Sony is want to do, I felt they abandoned this thing quicker than anything they've ever done before. Heck, I honestly forgot I even owned one until my wife's nephew came over and asked if he could play the Kitchen demo.

Now with RE7 supposedly being amazing and even better with VR, I'm totally back on board. So yeah, what's new? I haven't used it at all since about a month after it came out, so there's that.

Also, I have PS4 Pro, but that's in the bedroom where the 4K TV is while my base PS4 is in the living room where the bigger television is, as well as the space to do VR properly. Now, is the upgrade from base to Pro that much of a difference with the PSVR or is it negligible at best? The only reason I ask is it's kind of a hassle to move the Pro from the bedroom to the living room and then back all so I could play a handful of games, if that.

DjRalford

Now, I love the PSVR, but as Sony is want to do, I felt they abandoned this thing quicker than anything they've ever done before. Heck, I honestly forgot I even owned one until my wife's nephew came over and asked if he could play the Kitchen demo.

Now with RE7 supposedly being amazing and even better with VR, I'm totally back on board. So yeah, what's new? I haven't used it at all since about a month after it came out, so there's that.

Also, I have PS4 Pro, but that's in the bedroom where the 4K TV is while my base PS4 is in the living room where the bigger television is, as well as the space to do VR properly. Now, is the upgrade from base to Pro that much of a difference with the PSVR or is it negligible at best? The only reason I ask is it's kind of a hassle to move the Pro from the bedroom to the living room and then back all so I could play a handful of game, if that.

On pro enhanced games that take proper advantage the VR experience is much much better, less shimmer, more effects and higher quality assets.

Fisty

Picked up one of these to hopefully help with the marathon sessions... sweaty VR sucks

00000003503207_A01.jpg

Yes it looks stupid and unwieldy, but hey that's VR right now lol

Will report my findings after RE7 marathon tonight

ryushe

On pro enhanced games that take proper advantage the VR experience is much much better, less shimmer, more effects and higher quality assets.
Is RE7 one such game?

Because, while I'm not a total snob about AA, artifacts, low resolutions, etc., some titles on the PSVR are rough looking to say the least.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I don't know why folks say this. There has been a steady release of software for this platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom