• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Futaba

Is anyone working on a third party dock? I know Nintendo have proprietary software but I'm curious if anyone is working on a doc similar to the the 3DS they doesn't have the front part that's making contact with screens?

Also, is there a definitive glass protector yet? I'm seeing so much hysteria it's hard to know what the consensus is.
I'm reverse engineering the hdmi USB c pub currently, but may also 3D print a new modified part for the oem dock to permanently fix the issue, will post more on it tomorrow night, heading off snowboarding in a few hr lol

Koren

2. I meant the packaging thing, I don't know how that's called, this :

bmLJd0d.jpg
I was actually thinking about inserting the console in the slot with a sheet of paper or microfiber on the screen... but I wonder whether it would be safe to leave it in the dock while the console is working (because of heat) or not, though.

You can remove it easily when the console is docked (putting it again before removing the console is slightly harder unless it's a sheet of paper), but I wonder whether I could scratch the screen with the paper ^_^

Is there a definitive answer to WHAT create the scratches? The pieces of plastic or the rubber parts?

Not fond of screen protectors, since they usually get scratched themselves, so having a worse image / touch feeling AND still scratch, on top of stress when applying it...

Not in so many words.

True, you were helpful, but the problem is that the consumer shouldn't have to buy these fixes. Saying "well, just buy this thing" in relation to what the dude was saying might not seem dismissive to you, but it sure is hell seems more like brushing the problem aside.

Then you go on a tirade because I guess you don't understand why people are giving you shade on this page, and here we are. Bonus points for assuming people are going to stop enjoying their Switch consoles due to this problem and making a problem out of thin air.

The overall point is this: the original discussion (at least the second part) was about the faulty dock and while you can buy a neat little fix, that's anti-consumerism and pretty shitty on Nintendo's part. Like I said, your suggestions were fine, it's just waving it off as no big deal when people weren't really discussing a proper fix so much as the quality was the problem.
Let's not confuse two things.

Yes, I believe the screen tint thing is overblown nonsense, even though it's annoying when you get a less-than-perfect screen. It's just par for the course for anything with a screen nowadays. It's one of the most stressful parts of buying something with a screen. I've had to return 3 $2200 Retina Macbook Pro's and a Galaxy S7 in the past year because of shitty-ass screens. Calling out Nintendo for this issue is just silly.

Now the second thing. I'm not responding to bolded because I never assumed anything of the sort, so that's just your interpretation.

My take on this, which might explain my tone to you, is that yes, the dock really sucks atm, but a newer one isn't going to come around anytime soon. That's why I'm not really focusing on being upset about the issue; the media and Youtube is handling that just fine.

So focusing on a solution is more of a priority to me. I'm not saying and I've never said to anyone to stop being upset about it, or to say it's no big deal. I'd appreciate it if I wasn't being thrown all that shade and being called a zealot for my outlook as long as I'm not trying to stop anyone from professing their outlook.

Maybe I got the wrong impression. I know I quoted you, but that wasn't meant to be directed to only your post.

Np man, we're good.

You know what Gino? I retract my statements. I think you meant well, but just the way you came off felt like you were being combative, especially with the screen issue. But I'm willing to believe it was just miscommunication.

Edit: But I didn't see the post above me. So..

Let's not confuse two things.

Yes, I believe the screen tint thing is overblown nonsense, even though it's annoying when you get a less-than-perfect screen. It's just par for the course for anything with a screen nowadays. It's one of the most stressful parts of buying something with a screen. I've had to return 3 $2200 Retina Macbook Pro's and a Galaxy S7 in the past year because of shitty-ass screens. Calling out Nintendo for this issue is just silly.

Well, it is a Nintendo focused topic. What did you expect?

Now the second thing. I'm not responding to bolded because I never assumed anything of the sort, so that's just your interpretation.

That's fine.

My take on this, which might explain my tone to you, is that yes, the dock really sucks atm, but a newer one isn't going to come around anytime soon. That's why I'm not really focusing on being upset about the issue; the media and Youtube is handling that just fine.

I'd like a little more visibility so people can correct the issue and Nintendo should issue a statement. But what do you mean "handling" just fine? Like people freaking out? Yeah, that hasn't happened. It's not like a RROD issue or anything so I'd expect people not to.

So focusing on a solution is more of a priority to me. I'm not saying and I've never said to anyone to stop being upset about it, or to say it's no big deal. I'd appreciate it if I wasn't being thrown all that shade and being called a zealot for my outlook as long as I'm not trying to stop anyone from professing their outlook.

I don't think you were doing so with the screen, but I don't agree with the screen tint comment in consideration to where you are posting. But again, I don't think you are doing it to run defense for Nintendo.

Hey it's all good my man. In turn, I'll try to infuse my trying to be helpful with more understanding for people who are still really upset about the issue.

Fair game. People also need to air their grievances as well. Hopefully it'll push Nintendo to fix it sooner rather than later..

Cranzor

I can barely even see anything on your picture. LOL You're fine, maybe it's just a slight manufacturing issue. Forgivable I would think.

It's way more visible to see with a picture that uses flash:
But then again, I'm not usually looking at it with flash, am I? So you're right. Could just be a manufacturing issue but I figured I'd check in here haha. At least it's not on the screen!

Waji

You can insert the Switch with some care since there's more space.
I guess you can also insert it horizontaly with the screen up...

Or you can smash it in the dock and cry.
The dock might be some shitty plastic with anything but a pefect design but taking 1 or 2 seconds to just check how you insert the system doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Far from that I hope people who had trouble with their copy of Zelda found a way to make it work or will soon.
That, is something I feel is more concerning.

You know what Gino? I retract my statements. I think you meant well, but just the way you came off felt like you were being combative, especially with the screen issue. But I'm willing to believe it was just miscommunication
Hey it's all good my man. In turn, I'll try to infuse my trying to be helpful with more understanding for people who are still really upset about the issue.

Dinjoralo

So... if part of the issue is the plastic on the dock being uneven, could you fix that by bending it with a hair-dryer to make the plastic bend easier?

I don't get why they didn't go for having ridges on the system that line up with rails on the dock. I guess the system would need to be a bit wider for that to work, but it's not a huge compromise.

Futaba

GinoFelino said:
I've had to return 3 $2200 Retina Macbook Pro's and a Galaxy S7 in the past year because of shitty-ass screens. Calling out Nintendo for this issue is just silly.
So call them out for it too?
Having an "it's not a big deal other products suffer the same problems too" attitude is what's silly.

mlclmtckr

Banned
One picture? Try looking though the thread. It's not just one person.

This site never fails fails to produce a defence force for absolutely everything.

There's also a fake-outrage force for every single aspect of the Switch though.

It's kind of funny to me that there are so many people screaming HOW DARE YOU NINTENDO and I'm sitting here enjoying the fuck out of Zelda and kind of feeling bad for the people who care so much about this kind of stuff.

Screen scratching is at least kind of, potentially, a real issue. Less sad than the people pretending to care about Netflix and Miiverse.

Nintendo is so weird. I'm glad the console is region free and they learned from before but then they still have self scratching issues and friend codes. At least we have an actual account system.

I'm sure it was. But the thing is, no matter if it has a glass or plastic screen, the Switch is in no way durable enough for young kids in the way that the DS (and the Game Boy) was. The Switch as it is now feels caught in an awkward place where you can neither describe it as 'premium' nor 'kid-friendly'.

There was obviously compromises but at least in this case the issue is easily remedied with a screen protector. If given the choice myself between a screen that may scratch or easily break I would take the screen that may scratch as I typically use a screen protector anyway. I realize not everyone would agree though.

Anyways, Sora: I've had iPads, Galaxy S7, my TV, and basically every other type of device come out with a yellow tone, a pink tone, etc.

Unless you're talking about one of the really early iPads, I don't believe you. Nowadays Apple's displays are top notch in this regard and they come perfectly calibrated out of the box.

Having an "it's not a big deal other products suffer the same problems too" attitude is what's silly.

That's a very small part of what he said. The problem is there, so rather than beat a dead horse, he'd rather be proactive about solutions. You can say there's an issue and that it sucks until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't resolve anything.

Hey, I really wish it wasn't a thing, but it is, for every damn company in the world selling shit with a screen in it. And you know as well as I do that people love to call out specific console manufacturers for their own gain (whatever fucking gain that might be!) on 'normal' issues like this one.

But if you're ever out there protesting tinted screens, I will gladly put up my protest sign right next to you!

Unless you're talking about one of the really early iPads, I don't believe you. Nowadays Apple's displays are top notch in this regard and they come perfectly calibrated out of the box.
True, the iPad thing was with the iPad 2. But in a later post I also talked about when I had to return 3 15-inch Retina Macbook Pros last year because of really bad light bleed and tinted corners of the screen. So the Apple quality guarantee isn't a thing, I'm afraid. Good service though!

That's a very small part of what he said. The problem is there, so rather than beat a dead horse, he'd rather be proactive about solutions. You can say there's an issue and that it sucks until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't resolve anything.

Nice to see someone backing me up for a change ;)

Weevilone

I ordered that tempered glass protector that was recommended in the thread (from Amazon). It shipped already, despite saying it wasn't in stock till March 6 or 7.

Xbudz

These look like regular furniture leg pads to me (used to keep furniture legs from scratching your floor). Home Depot, Loews or just about any other hardware store I would imagine.

Some furniture pads can be scratchy like low grade sandpaper, so I'd be careful with these too.

Luigi87

This is a tempered glass screen protector that I found on Amazon.ca. Not sure if anyone here has it:

Link
Yeah I ordered this one after seeing this thread, so I'll try my luck with it. While my Switch isn't scratched I've definitely noticed markings on that corner.

Clockwork

I just realized I had a package of assorted felt pads for the bottom of furniture and other household goods sitting in the cupboard.

I guess I will try that.

Anyways, Sora: I've had iPads, Galaxy S7, my TV, and basically every other type of device come out with a yellow tone, a pink tone, etc.

It just comes with the territory for basically anything with a screen. It happens. Just buy from a retailer that lets you return the product for whatever reason you want. That way, you can just swap it out when it doesn't meet your standard/preference (some people prefer a warmer, 'yellower' screen).

That's why I said I can't risk buying it from Argentina, as I can't just return it and get another one, that would take a really long time and me having to pay the money to send it back to the states. I would totally get one if I was in a place where it's oficially sold, but I'm not taking any chances right now, I'll just get it in a few months.

Also, I would love to be one of those people who prefer the "yellow" look, but I just don't get how anyone could, tbh.

kaskade

These tempered glass protectors, are they fully clear or do they affect brightness, etc? Are reflections between the screen and the glass an issue?

They're pretty solid, I used to use them on my iPhone before I had apple care. I'd imagine they might make the switch screen look a bitter better even since it'll look like glass instead of plastic.

Firebrand

They're pretty solid, I used to use them on my iPhone before I had apple care. I'd imagine they might make the switch screen look a bitter better even since it'll look like glass instead of plastic.

Cool, I'll check them out. Just a bit worried there'd bloom or something due to light bouncing between the two before exiting the protector, but sounds like these are easier to remove than plastic film protectors (which I absolutely refuse to use).

Biske

My console is getting returned as soon as it arrives (next week ish?). Don't want to deal with this, especially basically from day 1.

Woah. This is a problem but it's not that bad. Can do the ghetto fixes or the screen protector. It's an amazing system.

20cent

Banned
The $8 official plastic one I bought as a temp solution was a total pain in the ass, and I still have bubbles. Oh and a cat hair got in there somehow. Nice. Which glass one is everyone recommending again?

Random picked quote, but if you struggle with a soft screen protector, good luck with the tempered glass one...

entremet

I'm loving this thread since it's so nerdy lol.

People taking out precise tools and doing some crazy analysis and measurements.

wowzors

So is the best solution until my glass protector comes to use the foam the console came in and cut it out and tape it to the dock so the ridges don't scratch the console?

K' Dash

What part of the Dock is scratching the thing?, I already spent too much on this and have to import everything, I may use DIY solution for now.

So is the best solution until my glass protector comes to use the foam the console came in and cut it out and tape it to the dock so the ridges don't scratch the console?

I'll do this, I HATE screen protectors.

boxoctosis

I cut a section off the top of a pair of my wife's black tights and hooped it round the front of the dock. Pretty straightforward fix I think. My wife was bemused as to why I was fixing this expensive console on day 2 with a pair of her tights though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've been following this thread since the beginning and it feels surreal to see people having to hack together their own solutions to prevent scratches from an industrial design flaw.

Its unbelievable. Nintendo fucked you guys over so hard. This is the type of shit Nintendo should be issuing recalls over but they can't do that after the first day, especially when its gotten so much bad PR already.

Better start learning circuitry because you might have to solder your own shit together for their next hardware.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I've been following this thread since the beginning and it feels surreal to see people having to hack together their own solutions to prevent scratches from an industrial design flaw.

Its unbelievable. Nintendo fucked you guys over so hard. This is the type of shit Nintendo should be issuing recalls over but they can't do that after the first day, especially when its gotten so much bad PR already.

Better start learning circuitry because you might have to solder your own shit together for their next hardware.

I'm fine actually.

If anything I feel bad for you for caring this much.

Slaythe

I'm fine actually.

If anything I feel bad for you for caring this much.

Come on now.

It's fine for us because we were warned before it was too late.

If my switch was already scratched and I had spent 20 hours in Zelda (no transferable save) I would be pretty pissed right now.

Haven't noticed any marks on my console, but went ahead and did something that I saw mentioned early. Cut two little strips of that cloth used for tv's/glasses and used a double sided tape to put it along those two bits of plastic. Smooth as hell going in.

Weevilone

I cut a section off the top of a pair of my wife's black tights and hooped it round the front of the dock. Pretty straightforward fix I think. My wife was bemused as to why I was fixing this expensive console on day 2 with a pair of her tights though.

Best fix so far. Waiting for before and after pics of the tights.

Xbudz

OK, here's what I did to fix the problem:

RUPV4p1.jpg

l11PNnz.jpg

wMollTp.jpg

YQxK5gT.jpg

I found a microfiber cloth used to clean glasses and some double sided tape. Cut it into strips and used those to cover the hard plastic rails on the inside.

Nintendo needs to redesign the dock.

tbh I think this is something the docks should really be recalled over its just not good enough that they couldn't spend like 20c and get some soft pads to protect the screen.

I'll be using mine in portable mode for the time being until we find out more about this.

Weevilone

tbh I think this is something the docks should really be recalled over its just not good enough that they couldn't spend like 20c and get some soft pads to protect the screen.

I'll be using mine in portable mode for the time being until we find out more about this.

Yeah I'll do this at least until I am able to sufficiently botch a screen protector install.

Top Bottom