• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2013 [Up5: BioShock Infinite]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think one other thing to consider with the port results is the standards that publishers usually take with the other third wheel platform (the PC).

We get late ports, offensively bad ports, offensively bad late ports, ludicrous DLC schemes, awkward fragmented storefronts, missing DLC, and all sorts of other garbage, but despite this publishers seem to be able to mine out some decent results, and they get to do it in a high margin/nigh zero risk fashion since the platform is driven by digital distribution. This all has the added benefit of removing the used market to boot.

When this is their basis of comparison, they're probably not going to be overly forgiving when ports underperform. Obviously there are a lot more PCs out there, but still, I have to imagine they're greenlighting these ports with expectations approaching at least the mid five digits.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's what that source on 2ch revealed:

You said these numbers are legit, Creamsugar, so I'm going to go ahead and believe these are the final NPD numbers.

Another source also added the following:

I don't know how legit they are, though. ;-)

This also implies the GoW:A PS3 bundle did about 40K 60K.

At that rate it seems likely. That rate wont be possible though with ps4 and 360s successor coming out though. It might pull ot off in march 14 though.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Unless PS4 and 720 are produced at crazy rates they will be supply restrained. Parents have to buy little Johnny something for the holidays. I would expect awesome bundles of 360 and PS3.

Also the thing that is going to kill the Wii U is the inevitable price drops of the 360 and PS3. The mainline SKUs aren't even close to $199 yet and they are still outselling the Wii U. If it is a nice redesign and a price drop it will be even worse.

Scum

Thank you!

360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

NDS, PSV, and PSP are calculated.

I find it so much fun observing Handheld Nintendo and Console Nintendo. lol

I'm wondering if Nintendo just needs to make a Wii Sports U and include a remote in the box. At least then people would have no reason to buy a Wii....

Ship has sailed, I reckon.

Mistaken identity, I say. I said it earlier. I reckon those 90k people thought they could play NFSMW and MH3U on the Wii. I say it's high time NCL killed off the Basic WiiU.

Thank you!

360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

Calculated how? Just wondering how accurate they are.

Also why are the arrows pointing up on those leaks numbers? I assume those are month over month numbers, since YoY is way down?

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Unless PS4 and 720 are produced at crazy rates they will be supply restrained. Parents have to buy little Johnny something for the holidays. I would expect awesome bundles of 360 and PS3.

Also the thing that is going to kill the Wii U is the inevitable price drops of the 360 and PS3. The mainline SKUs aren't even close to $199 yet and they are still outselling the Wii U. If it is a nice redesign and a price drop it will be even worse.
Well you can be right. I dont know why the Wii U is only affected by the price drop of ps360. It seems equally as fair that ps4/720 will be affected as well. Am I missing something?

antonz

What's really sad about that is I'm sure at least a portion of those were from the $30 pricing mistake that the EA Origin store did on launch day for that game. Hell, I bought it, and I'm still not getting a Wii U until sometime in June.

Origin sales would not be reflected inNPD

Daingurse

When that price drop occurs. . . if the Wii-U has still not yet dropped in price. . .

You can pretty much call it there. It may get some great games, but in Nintendo's eyes it will be a massive failure.

big youth

Are people really confused about Wii sales? It's obviously people preparing for Pandora's Tower.... Stop thinking like a hardcore gamer who only buys the latest and greatest, and instead consider who how popular and affordable Wii is now. It's going to continue to sell respectably for many months to come. And when it drops to $99 sales will skyrocket.

10% attach rate for LCS is insane. 10k for NFS is worrisome.

judgement didn't do that horribly i guess. 620k. add in some europe and it probably neared a million first month ww.

so maybe it'll end up at 2m.

I hate to say it, but Bioshock sales seem disappointing. The game had one of the largest ad campaigns ive seen this side of Call of Duty and the development costs were probably astronomical. I think it will break even, but probably not the megahit T2 was looking for

I hate to say it, but Bioshock sales seem disappointing. The game had one of the largest ad campaigns ive seen this side of Call of Duty and the development costs were probably astronomical.

Don't forget it was only charting for 10 days, and PC digital sales should be good as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hate to say it, but Bioshock sales seem disappointing. The game had one of the largest ad campaigns ive seen this side of Call of Duty and the development costs were probably astronomical. I think it will break even, but probably not the megahit T2 was looking for

Don't forget it was only charting for 10 days, and PC digital sales should be good as well.

I suspect we'll get a statement from Take-Two to the effect of "shipments were strong, but below expectations."

carlos

It probably won't reach borderland 2 sales, since it has no multiplayer, but 870k in 10 days? without digital sales? and NA only?

I'd say it's pretty darn good, and sales seem to be going strong still.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
I was anticipating those Wii U numbers. After Pachter and EEDAR's predictions in the 60K range I wasn't expecting the Wii U to dramatically recover anytime soon. So we have the Wii U selling at sub-Dreamcast and GameCube levels. This is disastrous for Nintendo. They made the same mistake Sony made when thinking that the PlayStation and in Nintendo's case the Wii brand name held sufficient weight that it would sell consoles on name alone (remember Sony's infamous comment that the PS3 would sell five million consoles with no games?). I understand and empathise with the posters calculating that Nintendo could have potentially become arrogant. I don't agree. I wouldn't say they have become arrogant. Clouded, misguided and supremely overconfident would be more accurate.

Overconfident to the point that they expected the Wii's massive and sensational success would repeat and replicate itself again if all they did was release another console with the same name. I see that many posters are stating that Nintendo needs to drop the heavy hitters. That however did not reverse the ailing fortunes of the GameCube. Nor did it assist the N64 in the fight against the original PlayStation. Nintendo's titles can and will sell hardware (for example with the 3DS) but the difference between the 3DS and the Wii U is that one is a compelling, attractive and desirable mass-market product whilst the other is not. TBH I really feel sorry for Nintendo. They're one of the original games companies that saved and started this industry (along the now fading industry veteran that was nineties Sega) and to see them fail so stupendously is a hard thing to watch.

What can Nintendo do to save the Wii U? In the face of the upcoming onslaught from Sony and Microsoft both of which are immensely larger companies with far greater resources and financial backing I really think Nintendo may have already lost. I remember when Microsoft was first entering the industry and the general consensus was that given their vast financial wealth they would eventually strong-arm companies like Nintendo out of the business. I think Nintendo successfully evaded Sony and Microsoft with the inspired innovation of the Wii and motion control but this time they've just been outplayed. Sony and Microsoft knew where the industry is heading and built comparable powerhouses for all of the latest graphically stunning games. Stunning games that Nintendo has made it impossible for the Wii U to have.

What happens for example when the PS3 and the new Xbox hit their first year and titles like Watch Dogs and other next generation efforts come out and blow people away? Nintendo have an underpowered console that they've made it impossible for third parties to successfully support. They essentially locked out third parties with their console without learning from the mistakes they made with the original Wii that eventually caused that console to fall off the face of the planet and die a long, slow and protracted death. I honestly and genuinely believe there is nothing Nintendo can do at this point. A couple of games with Platinum (that have never been known to have commercial success and therefore will not shift consoles) along with a new Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Wind Waker HD the other new entries in Nintendo's long-running franchises is just going to be for lack of a better word insufficient.

The Wii U is done. Call me short-sighted or jumping the gun here but these sales are effectively the lowest for any major console in the history of videogames. Nintendo will surely live to fight another day. Their vast cash reserves will save them and allow them to develop a successor console but in all honesty we could be seeing the beginning of the end for Nintendo here. I hope that doesn't happen. I hope they come out swinging. Make the Wii U a modest success. Ride the wave of 3DS sales and then release sequels to both consoles that effectively compete in the marketplace. But as a former video games journalist that has followed the industry for something like twenty years now it just feels like the prophecy of the inevitable is happening here. Nintendo may be on the way out.

Here's hoping Nintendo rises like a phoenix out of the flames.

All we can really do is communicate to other games just how special Bioshock Infinite is.

A game that pushes story in games so far ahead for the medium deserves the attention of the industry.

Can someone post a summary of Creamsugar leaks? Thanks in advance.
These are essentially the numbers, or as close as we're going to get to them.
Thank you!

360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

Because it still caters towards an actual market.
People confusing it with the new Wiiu is the only thing i can think of especially with the horrible advertising
I think you're underestimating the cognitive ability of consumers.

BlackJace

I don't know, Shinra, we have customers buying clearly marked 3DS games and writing scathing reviews saying they must have a defective model due to it not fitting in their DS.

You really have to get the point across with a product, which Ninty has clearly failed to do with tr Wii U so far.

Also worth noting, at 1.073M units through March in the US, even factoring Canada, I don't think the Wii U sold through it's launch quarter shipment? 24th is going to be brutal.
I think you're overestimating the cognitive ability of consumers. Most of them are uninformed or have a vague understanding of most things.
Sure, people are dumb - in the sense that they're not enthusiasts. But 91,000 people did not go into a store in March and leave the store with a Wii because they thought it was the Wii U.

Brand confusion only really factors in to getting people into stores, not what they leave with, i.e. by and large people aren't that stupid.

EDIT: Yes, I'm sure there are a few individuals dumb enough to buy a 3DS game or even a Wii system thinking it's an NDS game or a Wii U system, I don't think one can really say this is a widespread phenomenon greatly impacting Wii U sales.

Mikey Jr.

Just because redundancy is fun.

Wii U = 68K

Jesus.

nfs < 10k

Jesus!!!

But yeah, just terrible WiiU numbers in pretty much everything. Things are probably going to get worse if they ever get better. PS4/720 are on the horizon. PS3/360 are demolishing the WiiU at $250 pricepoints, nevermind at $150, and eventually $99.

Someone developing a game for the WiiU has to be shitting their pants. Why take that risk? Just go the safer route and go PS3/360.

DaBoss

Sure, people are dumb - in the sense that they're not enthusiasts. But 91,000 people did not go into a store in March and leave the store with a Wii because they thought it was the Wii U.

Brand confusion only really factors in to getting people into stores, not what they leave with, i.e. by and large people aren't that stupid.

I'm definitely not claiming all of them did (I imagine the Wii Mini was made for the purpose of differentiation), but I imagine that a sizable amount of people are confused.

Seriously, Wii U is a stupid name for a successor to a product. Sounds like an add-on. Doesn't matter about what the philosophy of the name is, it will definitely cause confusion amongst consumers and why they didn't think of that is beyond me.

All we can really do is communicate to other games just how special Bioshock Infinite is.

A game that pushes story in games so far ahead for the medium deserves the attention of the industry.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite, but I can't imagine what you mean as far as it pushing story in games "so far ahead for the medium."

I think the question was about why did the wii rise so much not why did it sell so much shinra. Brand confusion is all i can think of with no price drop. And this isn't to excuse the wiiu at all for its shit performance

Sure but its not like we're talking millions. More to the tune of 10-15k

Other

If i wanted a game that was all about a story I'd play a visual novel or a IF game not a mediocre, slapdash, overcooked FPS with the plot of more adventurous, higher budgeted Sliders episode.

Top Bottom