• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Pimpwerx said:
Uh oh, the Nintendo hive is swarming. Yes, I owned a PS2. Suprise suprise, it served me better than the GC I now own. Wind Waker was awesome. Games like Beyond Good and Evil and PoP also survived the button layout. But if you seriously play Madden or a fighting game, don't even pretend you're not ashamed of this abomination. Laugh all you want. you know what system most of your friends are gonna end up owning...if you actually have any. I was hoping the Rev was gonna be a step in the right direction. I expected some VR interface, or a gyro coupled to a Wavebird with a proper button layout (that's right, I've praised the Wavebird design to high heaven, just not the button layout). But I'm not gonna make excuses for this shit.

I don't own stock in this company. I'm not on their payroll. None of you are either. If you honestly don't play either of the two types of games I mentioned, then you should be fine. You probably don't play racing games either. You'll probably be happy with this mockery just as some of you seemed genuinely happy with the state of affairs on the GC. But I'm not. I am sad I may never play another Zelda game after TP, but that's the way it goes. The band played on as the Titanic sank. I don't expect any of you rabidly defending this joke to be aware of the demise of Nintendo gaming until it's too late. Wait...that's too melodramatic. I think some of you guys are just in denial, and won't snap out of it until you see some of the GC titles you liked playing going exclusively to the PS3 and 360. Nintendo doesn't want any part of the gaming industry. PEACE.

:lol :lol your trolling weak man very weak so you wanted a VR interface? that would've been very fucked up.

but hey if you want to hate the rev because it didn't include a virtual girl sucking your stick out hey that's fine more power to you.

miyuru

Warm Machine said:
Much like in the IGN article... The controller wand is essentially a 3d point in space. Imagine that onscreen on your TV is a 3d box from a first person perspective.

Now imagine you are in your living room. The chair you are sitting in is essentially the close end of that box on screen and your TV is the far end. Moving the controller toward the TV moves the point in space closer to the far end of the box. Same with moving the controller side to side or up and down will move the point in space the same way (to a predefined limit set by the software).

A game using this system would be something like virtual Jenga for instance. You could pull a jenga piece out of the top of the tower or from the bottom by moving the virtual cursor. In something like Nintendogs for instance you could pick up a dog (using a button) in the far background and pull him towards the near plane. Or pick up something else in the environment and whip it with corresponding physics that would be difficult to get with a standard analogue stick. You'd likely use a button to toggle between things such as grab, slap, pet, etc.

Otherwise you can imagine that the wand represents an virtual onscreen hand attached to a persons body. Using Inverse Kinematics you can move your virtual onscreen hand in all the ways that your real hand could move, limited by the length of the virtual characters' onscreen arm. Take the sword game they alluded to for example. Waving the wand about would swing the sword and then pressing and holding a button on the controller would switch from sword to sheild so now you are running a block command and using your arm to postion the shield in 3d. Sort of like Sega's Star Wars arcade game where you lightsaber fought Vader.

As well, the control can service as a completely 2 dimensional control such as single sight on screen and double as a light gun type control. It could also be used as a drawing pen or paint brush. Where the controller can get complex is when the viewing plane is changed from first person to a side camera on a 3rd person game because the game's plane of view isn't the same as the players plane of view.

These are some of the possibilities I'm seeing. In the end it is a point in space 3 dimensionally or 2 dimensionally. It is likely to work really well for stuff that is first person and stationary in nature such as fishing, drumming, boxing (in Punch Out you didn't move around the ring), cutting etc.

:lol

We're wondering *how* it works, not how to *use* it...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Tony HoTT said:
Your preaching to the choir man. Especially at this site. You think that many people here are looking to this thing to replace ALL their gaming needs? People here are probably just excited to see what games Nintendo will make, and they'll probably buy a PS3 as well for all the games that won't work as well on the Revolution.
Exactly, 360/PS3 + Revolution for the win has been said here MANY times (there's even a thread about it).

+Aliken+

Does anyone have the link to that 3d patente that Nintendo did some time ago. I remember a diagram showing dinosaurs (lol)

I pretty sure now that that is revolution controller based.

Tony HoTT said:
I would give him an A+ for paraphrasing though!

if you want me to bust down the actual hardware tech I can't immediately tell you...the hardware means nothing in terms of the game possibilities though because regardless of the hardware the in game use remains the same.

I can tell you that upon starting your Rev for the first time you are going to have to tell the machine what your own personal limits for controlling the wand are going to be by going through a set of instructions such as lifting it as high as you can, placing it as low as you can, what is as far as you can go away from the machine as well as the closest and then limits side to side without losing viewing angle on the TV just to calibrate it. After that all the games that use the wand will use the calibration profile stored in memory.

Pimpwerx said:
EDIT: BTW, do any of you actually play Madden or fighting games? Hell, or racing games for that matter? Am I the only GC owner who has some of these in his collection? The Re-mote should have you more than a little concerned. Not every GC game was Zelda. Not every Rev game will be either.

look at the sales numbers though. Nobody buys nintendo systems to play Madden or fighting games anyway (this goes back to the SNES days when, despite having a good controller, the Genesis was the system for EA sports games, the stigma's been with Nitnendo ever since), so why should Nitnendo care to cater to that market of gamers? Nintendo could have revealed the Revolution controller to be the most "normal" piece of videogame equipment on the planet and it wouldn't have changed this. Why fight a losing battle? Those people are going to buy Xboxes and PS3's anyway.

Ristamar

Pimpwerx said:
But if you seriously play Madden or a fighting game, don't even pretend you're not ashamed of this abomination.

I don't know what version(s) of Madden you're playing, but it's definitely not a chore. Fuck, it's not even remotely difficult. I use it all the time (13 seasons in Franchise mode), and my friends don't have any problem with it either.

As for fighting games... yeah, I'll give you that. I use my SNES-style HORI pad for fighters (it's good, but not great), though SC2 also plays just fine on a regular GC pad.

Warm Machine said:
if you want me to bust down the actual hardware tech I can't immediately tell you...the hardware means nothing in terms of the game possibilities though because regardless of the hardware the in game use remains the same.

I can tell you that upon starting your Rev for the first time you are going to have to tell the machine what your own personal limits for controlling the wand are going to be by going through a set of instructions such as lifting it as high as you can, placing it as low as you can, what is as far as you can go away from the machine as well as the closest and then limits side to side without losing viewing angle on the TV just to calibrate it. After that all the games that use the wand will use the calibration profile stored in memory.

how do you know, i never got to claibrate my DS and it works fine for everyone who has used it. so exlain form that stand point.

I don't own stock in this company. I'm not on their payroll. None of you are either. If you honestly don't play either of the two types of games I mentioned, then you should be fine. You probably don't play racing games either. You'll probably be happy with this mockery just as some of you seemed genuinely happy with the state of affairs on the GC. But I'm not. I am sad I may never play another Zelda game after TP, but that's the way it goes. The band played on as the Titanic sank. I don't expect any of you rabidly defending this joke to be aware of the demise of Nintendo gaming until it's too late. Wait...that's too melodramatic. I think some of you guys are just in denial, and won't snap out of it until you see some of the GC titles you liked playing going exclusively to the PS3 and 360. Nintendo doesn't want any part of the gaming industry.

Must be a slow day in little havana today eh?

:lol :lol :lol

kablooey

Um, all the GC games I liked playing were made by Nintendo? Except maybe a handful, but I think there're going to be enough 3rd parties who're interested in the Rev to account for and probably exceed the number of 3rd-party exclusives GC had.

Pimpwerx

Ristamar said:
I don't know what version(s) of Madden you're playing, but it's definitely not a chore. Fuck, it's not even remotely difficult. I use it all the time (13 seasons in Franchise mode), and my friends don't have any problem with it either.

As for fighting games... yeah, I'll give you that. I use my SNES-style HORI pad for fighters (it's good, but not great), though SC2 also plays just fine on a regular GC pad.
Have you played Madden on a PS2? Control at the line of scrimmage is infinitely easier with just one extra button. Passing is also a lot easier since your button layout isn't dominated by a single button. The A is primary receiver, and it definitely makes the passing game more difficult when under pressure.

This remote would be neat if it was an accessory, or packaged with a standard controller. IF Nintendo said, "here's a cool feature we're adding to our system to go along with this the Wavebird that now has a functional button layout, then I'd be happy. But unveiling this as the controller leads me to assume it is the primary controller, and that any traditional functionality will be an extra. It's an insult. And for people saying, "get a PS3 or 360 for traditional games" well, that's exactly what I'm going to do. PS3 and 360 this gen. Rev got replaced. And I'm sure I'm only one of many who'll go this route. PEACE.

Cheebs

Pimpwerx said:
Have you played Madden on a PS2? Control at the line of scrimmage is infinitely easier with just one extra button. Passing is also a lot easier since your button layout isn't dominated by a single button. The A is primary receiver, and it definitely makes the passing game more difficult when under pressure.

This remote would be neat if it was an accessory, or packaged with a standard controller. IF Nintendo said, "here's a cool feature we're adding to our system to go along with this the Wavebird that now has a functional button layout, then I'd be happy. But unveiling this as the controller leads me to assume it is the primary controller, and that any traditional functionality will be an extra. It's an insult. And for people saying, "get a PS3 or 360 for traditional games" well, that's exactly what I'm going to do. PS3 and 360 this gen. Rev got replaced. And I'm sure I'm only one of many who'll go this route. PEACE.
Just for sports games?

Foolish

It wont affect Nintendo. No one has EVER bought Nintendo hardware for sports games. First it was Sega who had them then Sony/MS. Expecting Nintendo even CARE about a genre that is dead on their systems since SNES is foolish.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
It would be awesome if madden worked like this....

You hike the ball with the trigger, after drawing out your own play.

As soon as you hike the all the screen goes to over the shoulder cam ala gears of war or re 4. There you use the wand to point at the receiver, fake passes, determing if its a lob or a bullet. what happens after that? ill let EA deal with what to do lol. Of course this becomes a bitch with 2 players...unless its online of course.

Drensch

It's hard to choose between Drinky's (Stephen Baldwin style) "motherfucker cocksuckers! Die Die nintendo!", and Pimpwerx(charge of the light brigade style) "I'll never play another Zelda again" :(

Spike

Pimpwerx said:
STFU. I'm not breaking from anything. The Rev was an open invite for trolling. I took a number, and now it's my turn. Maybe Nintendo could have released something that wasn't a public embarassment. PEACE.

What public embarassment? The only embarassment being made is by people like yourself who are so entrenched in their own beliefs of how a game should be controlled, that they come out here and scrutinize an idea without having ever seen it being used.

Everyone who has tried it, has come away impressed. Is this not a good thing? In the video montage when they first unveiled it, Hideo Kojima, and Yuji Hori said good things. I don't know about you, but if the creators of Metal Gear and Dragon Quest are excited, I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the devs would be privy to more in depth information than you or I or even the gaming media.

I think we should all wait and see what games are announced, and how they work with this new controller before jumping on or off the bandwagon.

Tellaerin

Deku said:
Reading your rant, I get the impression that you've already made up your mind long ago you don't want to play differently.

You're right, I really don't want to play differently, at least not purely for the sake of being different. I'm not a big advocate of change for change' sake--if I feel something new is quantifiably better than the thing it's meant to replace, I'll gladly commit the time and effort to learn to use it. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why pantomiming slashes to make my character swing a sword (for example) is supposed to be better than pressing a button to perform the same action.

Deku said:
You mention intuitiveness in your writing. It's really a value judgement as there are plenty of games using traditional controls that are anything but intuitive. The Revolution controller may infact be more intuitive by being straightforward. Swing the controler = swing the sword. It's never apparent that pressing A on the control pad swings the sword. And some games have you pressing B or a different button.

Again, this sounds like something that's great for people who have no experience with videogames. Do you honestly believe that pressing a button to swing a sword isn't just as (and possibly even more) intuitive for someone who's been playing games for years?

Deku said:
Each game has a learning curve regardless of the controller. PC games also have learning curves where they're usually up to 20 to 24 new keystrokes to learn on an average MMORPG , FPS or strategy game.

Yes, but now we're talking about an added learning curve--a meta-curve, if you will. Now, instead of already knowing the basics of how a controller works and just learning each new game, there's an entirely new control method that must be mastered in addition to learning to play each game. I'm looking at the prospect of being gimped across the board, in all games that require this new form of control.

Deku said:
And your argument that it would be significantly harder to learn to controls for Revolution games doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. So far, it seems to indicate that Nintendo is leaning in the oppositibe direction to make things more intuitive than with a traditional controller by making the action by the player translate direction into action on creen.

My point is that people who have been gaming for decades already have well-established reflexes with regard to games, and something like hammering a button to chop wood as fast as possible would come just as intuitively to them (if not moreso) than pantomiming a chopping motion to perform the same action. No one's arguing that this controller isn't handy for people who have no gaming experience. But for the people who do, who are conditioned to think things like, 'tap the button to run faster', 'hold button and release to fire a powered-up attack', 'qcf + punch = fireball', etc., and have come to see them as second nature when playing, where is the big advantage to learning this new control method? In fact, I'd say that for someone like me who's used to playing games the traditional way, having to trigger actions by waving a 'magic wand' around in particular patterns/places is actually counterintuitive.

Deku said:
I think your personal biases has clouded your judgements with the revolution.

Given the unstinting praise Nintendo fans here are lavishing on the controller and the ruthless attacks on anyone who's skeptical, I could easily argue that their judgement's just as clouded, you know. :)

Vashu said:
So? You're not the only one, everyone has to adapt to this new style of play. I think you are too worried about your 'status' as elite gamer (no offense by the way) and rather not be considered a 'noob' as you play the games. I could be wrong though, if I am ignore that part.

It's not a matter of whether or not other people would consider me a noob. It's a matter of going from being an experienced gamer who can sit down and get straight to the meat of a new game to a noob who 'can't work the controller' anymore, and has to struggle to make the character onscreen do the simplest things. To me, it seems more like a recipe for frustration than fun.

Taker666

Half Life 2 HAS to come to the Revolution..

..freehand controller + gravity gun + the fact it works in a full 3-dimensional plane.

Oh my god...

Taker666 said:

..freehand controller + gravity gun + the fact it works in a full 3-dimensional plane.

Oh my god...

Crowbar.... take that, and that, and that... you bastard.

*Satisfied grunt*

Ristamar

Pimpwerx said:

I've played it a few times. I agree that the Dual Shock layout is slightly easier to learn and use, but to imply the GC layout is unwieldy and incompetent is a gross exaggeration. Currently, the Dual Shock layout is more difficult for me, simply because I'm so used to the GC layout and control scheme at this point. After awhile, it becomes second nature. I'm sure if I played more Madden on my PS2, neither layout would be a problem.

kablooey

Taker666 said:

Oh my god...

That's actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the wand. HL2 would sooo rock with this controller. :D

Thraktor

Tellaerin said:
My point is that people who have been gaming for decades already have well-established reflexes with regard to games, and something like hammering a button to chop wood as fast as possible would come just as intuitively to them (if not moreso) than pantomiming a chopping motion to perform the same action. No one's arguing that this controller isn't handy for people who have no gaming experience. But for the people who do, who are conditioned to think things like, 'tap the button to run faster', 'hold button and release to fire a powered-up attack', 'qcf + punch = fireball', etc., and have come to see them as second nature when playing, where is the big advantage to learning this new control method? In fact, I'd say that for someone like me who's used to playing games the traditional way, having to trigger actions by waving a 'magic wand' around in particular patterns/places is actually counterintuitive.

Wow, the doublethink in this post just makes my head hurt.

I actually hadn't thought of that.

Crowbar + Gravity Gun with Freehand Controller = Me > :D

Whats the likelyhood of that happening though >_<
New avatar get btw. Seeing as they demoed the white one.

SantaC

more impressions from someone who has tested the rev controller.

Someone posted this in the Shack thread:

" "How does it compare to a mouse?"

From what I experienced, it seemed to be more precise than a mouse, but it's also much faster because it requires only a much smaller movement of the hand to achieve the desired effect. You just instantly point the controller at any part of the screen and bam!, that's where you're looking.

There is no lag.

There is no error.

It took a while to get used to the idea of how little effort is required to play a game with this controller. I kept wanting to lean forward and move the controller closer to the screen, and it took some practice to just sit back and just calmly move my hand ever so slightly.

At one point, someone said, "If you were to play a game with this against someone using a mouse, they'd have no chance against you." I had to admit it was true.

I've been using a mouse and keyboard for gaming for almost as long as I've been a gamer. I've logged over 80 hours so far in Battlefield 2 and I have a level 60 World of WarCraft character. If somebody had tried to tell me before now that a better controller would come along, I would have laughed at them.

But it only took me 5 minutes with the Revolution controller to realize that I don't need to use a mouse ever again.

Let's take a first-person shooter as an example. With a flick of the wrist, you can completely change your aim point from one corner of the screen to the other. Changing your aim point that way would require you to move a mouse all the way across a gamepad and could potentially take up to several seconds of pushing on a thumbstick with a standard console game controller.

Add to that the fact that the controller can correctly interpret roll (rotation of the controller clockwise and counterclockwise) and movement toward the screen or away from it, and you start to get an idea of the universe of new gameplay possibilities that Revolution games will be able to explore.

\from an attendee "

Source

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey radiohead, any chance you could make me an avater like yours, but with the controller? :) yours are always awsome

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
You know what I think my sister (and by my sister I mean me, but am too manly to admit) would probably enjoy? A cooking game where every day there was a new recipe to download online for a cookbook or cooking TV show. Like that Emeril fuckhead. And you go through the methods of cooking the meal. My sister (actually my sister this time) watches so many cooking shows. THAT seems boring, but actually going through the motions of cooking before fucking it up on the real food sounds pretty interesting to me!

Oh, as an aside... Nintendo seems really intent on making this controller as simple and clear as possible, but there's already SCORES of people confused about the x/y buttons on the bottom. That's probably one of the most unintuitive layouts out there.

Tellaerin

Thraktor said:
Wow, the doublethink in this post just makes my head hurt.

Don't be a smartass. I don't mind if you disagree with me, but to dismiss the point as 'doublethink' is bullshit. My contention is that if you've been playing games for long enough, performing actions in a game by pressing a button or executing a simple controller motion comes as naturally and intuitively as pantomiming the real-life movements corresponding to that action. Now, if you can refute that--if you honestly believe that, say, making a throwing motion with your hand to toss a fireball in a fighting game would more naturally and intuitively to a veteran Street Fighter player than performing qcf + punch on a traditional controller, and are looking to argue the point--then step on up. Otherwise, kindly STFU.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Tellaerin said:
Don't be a smartass. I don't mind if you disagree with me, but to dismiss the point as 'doublethink' is bullshit. My contention is that if you've been playing games for long enough, performing actions in a game by pressing a button or executing a simple controller motion comes as naturally and intuitively as pantomiming the real-life movements corresponding to that action. Now, if you can refute that--if you honestly believe that, say, making a throwing motion with your hand to toss a fireball in a fighting game would more naturally and intuitively to a veteran Street Fighter player than performing qcf + punch on a traditional controller, and are looking to argue the point--then step on up. Otherwise, kindly STFU.

I dont know about accurate, but maybe it could more fun. Besides Ill have a nice joystick if Street fighter shows up the Rev. I dont get why people are getting riled up, just try it, if you hate dont get it. Who cares really. We have 3 great consoles to choose, thats freagin awesome if you ask me.

norinrad21 said:
Nintendo consoles >>>>> only for Nintendo games

PS3 >>>>>>>> 3rd party games and everything else.

Do you really think 3rd party developers aren't going to want to develop for revolution? i believe they sure will. Im not even a game developer and from what i have heard about controller, seen about the controller and what it can do i can think of so many ways to put this technology into games, makes me wonder what developers are cooking up.

Call me a fan boy but nintendo is going to provie a revolution ...

Well Done Nintendo.

Tellaerin said:

It's double think because video-game players have ALSO become used to everyday movements just like non-video game players. If I know how to fish, whether or not I play fishing video games, a controller that lets me use real life fishing movement will be easy to pick up.

WindyMan

I only bothered reading the first handful of pages of this thread, since I'm sure between those posts and this post, it's the usual GAF bullshit.

So let me say this.

Everyone who has got a chance to use the controller, and I mean everyone, has come away with it extremely impressed. No one that has used it thinks it's a stupid idea. While everyone is mixed on how multiplatform games are going to work with it (myself included), the overall reaction is nothing short of extraordinary.

I agree that it's going to be a little strange to play a game like Splinter Cell or God of War with the Revo control wand thingy (two games, by the way, which I have never played). But I know that there's going to be a lot of new stuff that I didn't even know I wanted to play. Did anyone think a game like Meteos was possible before the DS came around? I'll gladly trade in my copy of "FAMOUS GAME SEQUEL #X" for Meteos, Nintendogs, Ouendan or any other amazing, original DS game. (Well... except for maybe Burnout Revenge.)

Alas, there are people here who think the Revolution controller is a stupid idea, completely going against the handful of media outlets who think it's a brilliant idea. So Nintendo haters, here's a thought: Instead of attempting to explain to us why you think the Revolution controller is a stupid idea, why don't you tell us why you disagree with the people who have used the controller and say it's a fucking brilliant idea?

Tellaerin said:
You're right, I really don't want to play differently, at least not purely for the sake of being different. I'm not a big advocate of change for change' sake--if I feel something new is quantifiably better than the thing it's meant to replace, I'll gladly commit the time and effort to learn to use it. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why pantomiming slashes to make my character swing a sword (for example) is supposed to be better than pressing a button to perform the same action.

Well, that depends on whether youre more of a realistic or a mechanical person.

Again, this sounds like something that's great for people who have no experience with videogames. Do you honestly believe that pressing a button to swing a sword isn't just as (and possibly even more) intuitive for someone who's been playing games for years?

The Rev controller is more of an All Player Level controller. Casuals, non-game players(i.e. people who hardly or have never played games to begin with), and a selection of hardcore game players will not have a problem with the Rev's control. The most hardcore will still prefer a controller based upon a certain layout, and youre one of those type of people.

What's so exciting about the Rev controller is that it has potential to expand the market to those who dont have an interest in game playing or dont play very often. Which means most of the real world population. It's my personal opinion that this is where and HOW the Revolution controller idea came about. It's nothing new, just simply a combination of everything that MOST people will or would LIKE to have while playing a game.

Yes, but now we're talking about an added learning curve--a meta-curve, if you will. Now, instead of already knowing the basics of how a controller works and just learning each new game, there's an entirely new control method that must be mastered in addition to learning to play each game. I'm looking at the prospect of being gimped across the board, in all games that require this new form of control.

There's been a learning curve every single generation since gaming generations began. If you werent learning Atari's way of doing things, then you were learning Nintendo's, if it wasnt Nintendo's it was Sega's, if it wasnt Sega's it was Sony's, if it wasnt Sony's then it was Microsoft's. Every company has a different way of doing the same thing: playing a game. It will be no different this time around, except there will be more ease and feeling with every movement you make. Nothing hard for a hardcore gamer that's been through numerous controllers by different hardware companies.

Given the unstinting praise Nintendo fans here are lavishing on the controller and the ruthless attacks on anyone who's skeptical, I could easily argue that their judgement's just as clouded, you know. :)

It's not a matter of whether or not other people would consider me a noob. It's a matter of going from being an experienced gamer who can sit down and get straight to the meat of a new game to a noob who 'can't work the controller' anymore, and has to struggle to make the character onscreen do the simplest things. To me, it seems more like a recipe for frustration than fun.

The real point is that you have a particular way that you want to play games. And telling someone that you would rather press several complicated buttons to do something than point and press one to do the same thing is not convincing anyone. There's only a few people making real counter arguments against why the Rev controller will have any problem in doing what Nintendo has set it out to do.

You dont want change. Just continue buying the controller for the system of your choice. Youre adjusted to it, that's what you want to do. No big deal. No personal rant needed.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm only gonna read the last 5 pages of this monster as I don't wanna hear all the premature bitching and whining. I want the calmed down reactions after impressions have been explained to those of us who can only guess at how intuitive such a control scheme could possibly be. All Nintendo is doing is provinding more options for game applications its not like they are abandoning everything that we have become accustomed to with controllers. I would imagine for the most part that a lot of these games will have the option of either being played with the wand and expansions or simply the wand inside the Wavebird2 shell so it would be like if the 360 controller had next-gen gyro functions. As long as those 2 options are covered and I can switch to the method that I am most comfortable with then I really don't see a problem.

Tellaerin

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
It's double think because video-game players have ALSO become used to everyday movements just like non-video game players. If I know how to fish, whether or not I play fishing video games, a controller that lets me use real life fishing movement will be easy to pick up.

On the other hand, what if I don't know the everyday movements that correspond to the action in a particular game? For example, I enjoy golf games, particularly the timing-based ones that use a swing meter. However, I don't golf at all IRL. I enjoy the videogame versions of the sport because they let me come at it from a gaming angle, with a gamepad. A golf game that required me to actually swing a club at a virtual ball would be a lot more awkward for me, because I don't have the relevant real-life movements internalized the way a real golfer would. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Tellaerin said:
On the other hand, what if I don't know the everyday movements that correspond to the action in a particular game? For example, I enjoy golf games, particularly the timing-based ones that use a swing meter. However, I don't golf at all IRL. I enjoy the videogame versions of the sport because they let me come at it from a gaming angle, with a gamepad. A golf game that required me to actually swing a club at a virtual ball would be a lot more awkward for me, because I don't have the relevant real-life movements internalized the way a real golfer would. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Shouldn't you easily be able to adapt? I mean you've been playing videogames as long as you can remember. There's been many changes since the old days, at 37 you should know what am getting at

Deku

Banned
Tellaerin said:

Actually I don't.
Will the golf game come out of the box with just the disc and no instructions? and developers will make games just only for pro-golfers?

What's different from a PS2 game shipping without instructions with a control scheme that only mutants with six fingers can use?

Using the revolution control is no different than any controller. Developers will make users swing if that is their intent, but it will be something that will be explained to the user and it will be movements most people can do.

Spike

WindyMan said:
So Nintendo haters, here's a thought: Instead of attempting to explain to us why you think the Revolution controller is a stupid idea, why don't you tell us why you disagree with the people who have used the controller and say it's a fucking brilliant idea?

They disagree because Nintendo might actually have something that takes off, then all hopes of Nintendo going third party and supporting their system of choice is nil.

OR

They seem to believe that this controller is more suited to mini-games or non-games, and are afraid that the games (or stories you play *ahem*MGS*ahem*) will become these types of games.

Myself, I don't really care either way. I don't know enough about how it is going to play, and the games to make a decision. Although, I've now started seeing the possibilities in my mind, and I really want to see more. I can see this taking off, only if the games are really good, and the controller is put to use. If not, well there's always the PS3 and Xbox 360 that'll play the traditional games.

Tellaerin said:

Tip: You pull back, swing and hit the ball. It's difficult but you'll get there eventually.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
SantaCruZer said:
more impressions from someone who has tested the rev controller.

Source
Got a source for that source?

Seriously, That sounds to good to be true and suspect its someone fucking with Nintendo fans. I don't know who "firebird" is nor know what media outlet he or she represents.

Can anyone verify this is legit?

AssMan

Banned
What about for people that can't use a chair when play games on REV? I lay on my bed when I play games, and putting a chair in my room would be out of the question, because my room is small. Guess sitting upright is the way to go. :(

Thraktor

Tellaerin said:
You're getting a little bit riled up over this, eh? Well, if you insist on me explaining my point further (although my joking reference to doublethink would imply that you simply wouldn't understand any arguments against your points of view, I'm willing to admit I do think a bit more of you than I let on), what I was refering to was the fact that you actually believe that videogamers are so incredibly dependant on traditional control methods that they have a complete inability to physically interact with the real world, to the point where a realistic physical interaction system is actually counterintuitive. Let me ask a few questions; when you get up in the morning and walk to the kitchen, you are able to move your feet without a DualShock strapped to your hands, right? When you get into the driver's seat of a car, do you look for a small circular X button to accelerate with? Or a select button to switch the radio station to K-DUST? How about eating an apple, does your mind suddenly go back to the WarioWare minigame, as you desperately hammer at the A button?

My point is that the only reason that something like swinging the Rev controller as a baseball bat could be counterintuitive is if you were so "conditioned" to traditional videogames that you needed serious psychiatric help. This controller is designed for people, not addicts. Besides, if you want to play the same way you've been playing for twenty years, then why are you buying a new console? Speaking of which, the one game that seems to keep being mentioned as an example of what the Rev controller can't be used for is Street Fighter, which seems a perfect representation of your arguments. It's a franchise that's seen a thousand different iterations, without a single dramatic change between any of them, and to most people, it's a series that peaked nearly a decade and a half ago on the SNES. If this is what you want to emulate on your new console, then forget the new console and go back to playing the SNES. I really don't see the point in having new generations of hardware if you're playing the same games as you were the last generation. And nobody's forcing you to buy a Revolution, but, when you get the chance, please, please give it a go, because not a single person who's tried it has described it as anything but the most intuitive system they've ever used (all of whom were seasoned gamers), and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

AssMan said:
What about for people that can't use a chair when play games on REV? I lay on my bed when I play games, and putting a chair in my room would be out of the question, because my room is small. Guess sitting upright is the way to go. :(

Go for it.

Deku

Banned
Let me ask a few questions; when you get up in the morning and walk to the kitchen, you are able to move your feet without a DualShock strapped to your hands, right? When you get into the driver's seat of a car, do you look for a small circular X button to accelerate with? Or a select button to switch the radio station to K-DUST? How about eating an apple, does your mind suddenly go back to the WarioWare minigame, as you desperately hammer at the A button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom