• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
Ruzbeh said:
Not at all. If the PS3 is $500, the Rev isn't going to be $400.

Well then, it's a good thing I also think the PS3 being $500 is extremely unlikely, isn't it?

Once again, people are getting their hopes up that inflation won't catch up to them. It will, sooner or later, and even with Nintendo products.

I'm pretty hopefull that we'll see the return of Luigi's Mansion. It's perfectly suited for the new control method and the addition of multiplayer could really add to the game, as long as you don't cross the streams though. :)

maharg said:
Well then, it's a good thing I also think the PS3 being $500 is extremely unlikely, isn't it?

Once again, people are getting their hopes up that inflation won't catch up to them. It will, sooner or later, and even with Nintendo products.

Im leaning toward the console costing more than Gamecube anyway. Inflation is one thing, but also the fact that Rev will be a more powerful and unique system. Everything is not going to be cheap that's included in the console.

In any case, Nintendo isnt including all of the optional devices and hardware that Sony and MS are going to have in their systems. Therefore, why are Revolution buyers going to pay out of our teeth like other system buyers will have to in their first year when it's not included? You want all of the optional equipment like headsets, online gaming cards, and BluRay technologies, then youre going to pay extra for it.

There's no important reason for a person to associate the costs between the 3 systems, when we all know that one is going to be significantly cheaper than the other 2. Youre going to be able to buy much more for Rev than you could with Xbox360 and PS3. I plan on buying PS3 and Rev, but Im very aware that PS3 will cost much more than Rev will. Which is probably why Rev will be bought first. And $60 games? If it's not Zelda or the most own title of the year among the majority's consensus, then it's discount buyer retailers for me :D.

You dont expand the industry by beefing up prices on everything you can. If Nintendo can find a way to find a balance between prices and consumer needs, then Rev will automatically win over many budget gamers. After all, it's the average Joe casuals that determine whether a console will succeed or fail, not the hardcore with flashy gold rings and $10,000 brand new cars to spend $$$$ on high-end pricey gaming mechanisms.

Ruzbeh

Banned
maharg said:

A PS3 price of $500 is not extremely unlikely, but it is unlikely, since Sony has released Playstation and Playstation 2 $100 under the manufacturing price. So a $400 is the likeliest pricetag in this case, since the manufacturing price of the PS3 is approx. $500 (as estimated by Merrill Lynch).

I have absolutely no frikkin' clue by what you mean with inflation, Nintendo consoles have always been $200, never higher. Seeing as how Nintendo puts plenty of emphasis on having a cheap, affordable console, one would only conclude that it is more likely that the price of the Revolution will be $200, or lower than $200, not higher than $200.

This is me applying common sense here, not me getting my hopes up.

maharg

idspispopd
What I mean 'with inflation' is that what is cheap and affordable is relative to time. In order to be the budget console, Nintendo has to be priced less than the alternatives. $200 is not some magical eternal price point from which Nintendo shalt never deviate, and the fact that Nintendo has just released a handheld for $150 -- no matter what you think of the hardware in it (more likely they think the percieved value of the new control mechanism is higher -- wow, does that sound familiar?) -- should tell you that there is no such thing as an eternal price point.

And yes, you are hoping here. Just like Sony fans who say Sony will never go above $300 (same justification, I might add. They have 2 points on their trend line and you have 4. It's not a huge difference) and xbox fans who felt likewise. Expecting the price of something of relatively the same consumer value to stay the same over time is economically unfeasable.

Ruzbeh said:
I have absolutely no frikkin' clue by what you mean with inflation, Nintendo consoles have always been $200, never higher.
But do you really think that, if Nintendo keeps releasing home hardware for the indefinite future, it will always be $200 or less? If not, then it's just a matter of when the change will occur. As has already been mentioned, N64 came pretty close.

Ruzbeh

Banned
maharg said:
What I mean 'with inflation' is that what is cheap and affordable is relative to time. In order to be the budget console, Nintendo has to be priced less than the alternatives. $200 is not some magical eternal price point from which Nintendo shalt never deviate, and the fact that Nintendo has just released a handheld for $150 -- no matter what you think of the hardware in it (more likely they think the percieved value of the new control mechanism is higher -- wow, does that sound familiar?) -- should tell you that there is no such thing as an eternal price point.

And yes, you are hoping here. Just like Sony fans who say Sony will never go above $300 (same justification, I might add. They have 2 points on their trend line and you have 4. It's not a huge difference) and xbox fans who felt likewise. Expecting the price of something of relatively the same consumer value to stay the same over time is economically unfeasable.
JoshuaJSlone said:
But do you really think that, if Nintendo keeps releasing home hardware for the indefinite future, it will always be $200 or less? If not, then it's just a matter of when the change will occur. As has already been mentioned, N64 came pretty close.
If you re-read my post, you will see that I said that I think the most likely pricetag is $200 or less. It becomes even more likely now that you can get an X360 for $300, even though it's the retard pack.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Back on Topic:

Any word of te sensors were wired/powered by the console in any way? Are they even electronic?

Ruzbeh

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Are they even electronic?
Since they register movements in X, Y, Z space (AFAIK) and send them to the Revolution (a computer), what do you think? Man. :lol

They are probably wired... I don't see how they are wireless, it would be a pain in the ass to use batteries, and they are probably wired to the Revolution as well to send data... or maybe bluetooth... I dunno.

PkunkFury

Gahiggidy said:
Any word of te sensors were wired/powered by the console in any way? Are they even electronic?

Yeah, chanceas are they are wired. They need power anyway, so they might as well plug into the console and not the wall

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Why do they have to be electronic? For all we know they are just reference points for the remote to pick up on. Two points in space that allow the remote to register its relative position.

This thing is called a "sensor bar" but it could be that the remote is the one doing the sensing and not vice versa.

maharg

idspispopd
For them to be sensed, they must do something that can be sensed. The only obvious things are their visual appearance, which would require the remote to have a full blown camera and for it to basically do eye-toy style processing on the images produced by it, or a magnet, in which case it'd be stupid to put it on top of your TV if it had to be powerful enough to be detected 8 feet away.

Gahiggidy

I;m sure there are other ways to make it stand out without powering it. Perhaps reflective only in a non-visible spectrum?

PkunkFury

Gahiggidy said:
I;m sure there are other ways to make it stand out without powering it. Perhaps reflective only in a non-visible spectrum?

It is possible that the sensor bar is just two retroreflective markes strapped to a pole, like the little balls you see people wearing in mo-cap suits. In this situation though, the remote would need to house all of the sensing equipment. Also, the remotes would have a nasty habit of identifying other household stuff with retroreflective material (like gym shoes) as the target markers, causing bad readings. If the remotes are indeed detecting the sensors, I hope they are using something a little better than retroreflective tape.

Anyway, it could be what is going on, we won't really know anything else about how the sensors work until we see them

monkeyrun

5003.jpg

nice :D

stone128

Luigi's Mansion was a piece of crap. The worst piece of crap to come out of Nintendo ever since... Yoshi's Story 64. The fact that somepeople want to see this shell of a game for Revolution disgusts me.

The possibilities are almost endless here, and some of you want Luigi's Mansion?

BARF

Thraktor

stone128 said:
Luigi's Mansion was a piece of crap. The worst piece of crap to come out of Nintendo ever since... Yoshi's Story 64. The fact that somepeople want to see this shell of a game for Revolution disgusts me.

The possibilities are almost endless here, and some of you want Luigi's Mansion?

BARF

BAN HIM! Such heresy should not be tolerated.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
stone128 said:

BARF
Mansion was a good game. It was just VERY short (although about the perfect length to refrain from getting repetitive.)

I can see them expanding on it with a longer and gameplay-expanded sequel, though.

+Aliken+

I guess he is the only person in the world that i know of to feel the same for Luigi's Mansion... Maybe it's Mario posting with Stone's nick.

argon

Suburban Cowboy said:
anyone remember what broken saints claimed the controller would be a few months back? i remember even ign posted the rumor...

I believe they said it was supposed to have gyros and a touch pad LCD.

+archive

Suburban Cowboy said:
anyone remember what broken saints claimed the controller would be a few months back? i remember even ign posted the rumor...
Stereoscopic 3D, that's what Brooke Burke said.

Frankly, it's still a possibility. Nintendo has said that the unveiling of Revolution is like a puzzle, we'll be shown separate puzzle pieces until we finally have the full picture.

Some form of stereoscopic ability isn't out of the question. If the Revolution hardware is capable of splitting image signals that are displayed in separate layers on a tv, the only extra hardware that you would need are a pair of polarized glasses (which could be made to be extremely cheap, middle of the road, or high end). [edit]Of course, a 3d visor peripheral that attaches to or is separate from the Revolution controller is also a possibility.[/edit]

While I doubt we'll be seeing stereoscopic games anytime soon, with the advent of 3D hitting hollywood and a theatre near you by 2007, it will eventually makes its way to gaming.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I completely agree Gaia. There's plenty of evidence to support it. We know Nintendo has been in talks with eMagin and Jim Merrik? hinted at TGS that there were more suprises left for Revolution. The controller would work very well in VR. There is one problem with just using the pointer alone for playing games, and that's camera control. One solution would be a visor. Does anyone have a link to the patent for that new camera system? I think it had pictures of dinosuars with arrows pointing to a TV.

Ruzbeh

Banned
I'm ruling out stereoscopic stuff because Nintendo just doesn't want it. Nintendo wants non-gamers and stuff. They're getting it with the remote. Why does Nintendo want stereoscopic stuff? To regain the hardcore fans? Nope, you do that with a good library of games. So why would they need it? They don't, so Nintendo shouldn't invest in it and I don't think they are.

Tamashii

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
Laugh all you want, but it's going to be like this some day. :(

Then that would mean Nintendo has succeeded in making the Revolution's controller the "standard" in the industry... it'd be similar to the Nintendo 64 controller's analog stick, which Sony copied (and added a second stick as well).

Tamashii said:
Then that would mean Nintendo has succeeded in making the Revolution's controller the "standard" in the industry... it'd be similar to the Nintendo 64 controller's analog stick, which Sony copied (and added a second stick as well).

Perhaps, depends on what rights Nintendo has secured. It's not like a regular convential controller where you can just add one tool to it, so PS3's version could end up looking radically different to keep from being illegal.

Maybe a combination of Boomerangs and Remotes? :p

Chrono

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I completely agree Gaia. There's plenty of evidence to support it. We know Nintendo has been in talks with eMagin and Jim Merrik? hinted at TGS that there were more suprises left for Revolution. The controller would work very well in VR. There is one problem with just using the pointer alone for playing games, and that's camera control. One solution would be a visor. Does anyone have a link to the patent for that new camera system? I think it had pictures of dinosuars with arrows pointing to a TV.

Nintendo talking with eMagin doesn't mean they're doing something for revolution. Nintendo is always researching new ways to play games and this could be just another thing they're interested in, maybe for the console after revolution.

Chrono said:
Nintendo talking with eMagin doesn't mean they're doing something for revolution. Nintendo is always researching new ways to play games and this could be just another thing they're interested in, maybe for the console after revolution.
I agree. Nintendo obviously has an interest in developing new ways to interact with games, and also has an interest (however slight) to look at stereoscopic games (IE VIRTUAL BOY, eMAGIN).

None of this means that we will ever see Nintendo deliver a retail product as such, but it does tend to give room for speculation. There is something to base said speculation on. I would love to see stereoscopic games on Revolution (or any console this upcoming gen for that matter), but I tend to believe that we will have to wait until Hollywood has blazed a trail in that market.

I don't see why the game industry can't beat them to the punch, but I think we'll be following hollywood's lead on this one.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Chrono said:
The same could be said about Gyration and look what happened. Nintendo experimented with tilt technology for awhile and now they're putting it all on the line saying this is it. This is where we think the future of game control is. Don't forget that they've been experimenting around with VR headsets and other forms of 3D for awhile now too. The new controller is made for a VR headset. I'm not saying it's going to come with the system, but I could definately see it being an add on device.

On another note. Remember that video of Mario 28 that was shown when GC was first shown? It had 128 Marios flipping around in a skillet like fried rice. It seems even back then they wanted to do something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom