• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
soundwave05 said:
Maybe they should give the black Revolution model a glossy black stand?

Or make the silver a bit more chrome-ish ... like the black/silver i-Pod nano.

A chrome stand would be pretty rad. I may just end up painting mine a glossy black when I get it though, depends on what color Rev I get. I want Black or Red, and the stand will be the opposite, black or red. It would go with my U2 ipod. However, the white Rev is pretty sexy.

Chrono

Banned
scola said:
well he did write an entire article about it http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,68869,00.html

This and all the impressions were good but NONE compared it to standard controllers. Did nintendo limit what journalist can say about its controller or something?

I'd like to know what they think about revolution's controller being 'superior' for FPS. Also, even though everybody said it's comfortable, do they imagine themselves playing 6 hours straight with that controller? We need more details. :'(

Edit: well I just found out about kobun's Q&A thread heh.

AndoCalrissian said:
A chrome stand would be pretty rad. I may just end up painting mine a glossy black when I get it though, depends on what color Rev I get. I want Black or Red, and the stand will be the opposite, black or red. It would go with my U2 ipod. However, the white Rev is pretty sexy.

A mixture of black remote and red controller would look great actually. And Im surprised the green looks good too

soundwave05 said:
I believe 1up.com's impressions talked specifically about the Rev controller and how well it worked for FPS versus current controllers.

I think the fact that many gaming sites are comparing the controller to a keyboard/mouse setup in a positive light is showing the Revolution controller is leaps and bounds ahead of current gamepad FPS control.

Mihail

Banned
Is anyone else glad there's no built-in microphone? I mean, it probably will eventually be an attachment, but at least it's not standard.

For some reason, that strikes me as a good sign (as if I need any more good signs after Kobun's thread).

Mihail said:
Is anyone else glad there's no built-in microphone? I mean, it probably will eventually be an attachment, but at least it's not standard.

For some reason, that strikes me as a good sign (as if I need any more good signs after Kobun's thread).
Not really. I'm all for standardizing "accessory" stuff within reasonable cost bounds.

They should put a headphone jack on the controller though. Otherwise you might have to go the microphone attachment route ... which would be fine, except then you lose the analog joystick and two buttons in the process.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If you want to watch Mark MacDonald (the Executive Editor of Electronic Gaming Monthly) talk about the Revolution controller with Patrick Norton then check out episode 6 of Digital Life TV starting at 35:30 or wait until they post just that segment if you don't want to download the entire episode. He also brought along the revmote paper mockup that you can put together (someone posted it here in another thread) so you can have a pretty good idea of the size.

http://digitallifetv.com/

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Fuzzy said:
If you want to watch Mark MacDonald (the Executive Editor of Electronic Gaming Monthly) talk about the Revolution controller with Patrick Norton then check out episode 6 of Digital Life TV starting at 35:30 or wait until they post just that segment if you don't want to download the entire episode. He also brought along the revmote paper mockup that you can put together (someone posted it here in another thread) so you can have a pretty good idea of the size.

Nice find.
Basically saying you shouldn't get tired waving the thing in the air cuz once you get used to it, you pretty much use it like a controller. Good sensitivity, precise, intuitive or even more so than mouse/keyboard as a FPS blah blah blah, you know the rest. Still cool to have someone explain it visually though :)

Edit: why is the set like someone's unfinished basement?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BorkBork said:
Edit: why is the set like someone's unfinished basement?
It used to be just a grey wall and they've been building a new set the last couple of weeks so it's in the process of being finished.

Aurora

Fuzzy said:

That was an interesting watch. Thanks for sharing.

koam

Mihail said:

No, they should have a microphone built-in. How are you going to talk to people you play online?

Ruzbeh

Banned
You know, I think it will be just a headset. I think the main reason why they didn't allow voicechat on DS online is because you can't turn off the microphone with a button, but only through software (in the options menu of the game). Or something. So Nintendo should come with a headset.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
They should have a microphone built in for sure.

Put it at the top of the controller, and you can hold it just like a mic! Karaoke would be super awesome!

Ruzbeh

Banned
Lathentar said:

Put it at the top of the controller, and you can hold it just like a mic! Karaoke would be super awesome!
I'm not sure. That could actually be a good idea. There should be an on/off button though.

Xellotah

Lathentar said:

That actually would be a very good business decision.... with the REV DVD player, it could double up as a Karaoke machine.

koam

Oh I get it!

Remember when Nintendo said the Revolution would support DVD playback with an add-on? I'm fairly sure they were talking about an add-on for the controller. Probably a small little attachment that has play/pause rew/ff etc buttons.

Shao

koam said:
Oh I get it!

Remember when Nintendo said the Revolution would support DVD playback with an add-on? I'm fairly sure they were talking about an add-on for the controller. Probably a small little attachment that has play/pause rew/ff etc buttons.

lol it would be so hilariously cruel if the only reaosn you couldnt watch a DVD was cos you had no "play" button

Diffense

In the video, mcdonald says there was no need for an onscreen cursor in the shooting blocks demo. Based on other reports, he might be wrong.

radcliff

koam said:
Oh I get it!

Then you can use the DVD attachment to make Viewtiful Joe fast- forard, rewind, slow, zoom, etc. Brilliant!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
The controller is sensitive enough to be a button all itself.

Imagine playing a game where you can be shooting over and over using B, then you pull your finger back, tap it on the side and it changes your weapon, then you go back to shooting. It's sensitive enough to detect that small tap, though probably not very useful.

I'm really not going to say much more though sorry. I'll try to think of what else I can say.

Waimea

Lathentar said:

Imagine playing a game where you can be shooting over and over using B, then you pull your finger back, tap it on the side and it changes your weapon, then you go back to shooting. It's sensitive enough to detect that small tap, though probably not very useful.

I'm really not going to say much more though sorry. I'll try to think of what else I can say.

New to me... That could be one of the surprises yet to be announced... opens up even more possibilities...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
p45.gif

Like that?

And Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Endless Destiny to showcase the massivly mutliplayer co-op online RPG ability of the Rev.
is this an actual title in development, with those features? because I know a FF:CC fanatic who would love to hear this.

Lathentar said:

so what are the games retro is working on.

Mallrat83

Banned
bune duggy said:
is this an actual title in development, with those features? because I know a FF:CC fanatic who would love to hear this.
Since the original was based heavily around GC-GBA connectivity, I would expect FF:CC Rev to be similarily based around teamwork. Rev will be Wifi enabled out of the box, so logically, I would expect FF:CC Rev to be an online RPG. I don't know about massive, but I would expect support for more than 4 people this time out.

Mallrat83

Banned
Ristamar said:
Based on what?
On inside knowledge. Kidding. No, I just think the only reason FF:CC was limited to 4 players was because of the limitations of the GC/controller ports, and now since Nintendo is finally going online, and Square has already dabbled with online RPGs in FF XI...well, you get what I'm trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom