• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
GoutPatrol said:
I have been thinking about this as well. How are they going to do SSB? I think they may just use the classic shell for it, but that would make other companies think that they don't know how to use their own controller.

Hmm how about this? (nunchuk configuration)
- analog for movement/jump
- tap A for normal attacks
- hold A and flick up, down, left, right for smashes. Sudden jerks = Smashes
- hold B trigger and flick up, down, left, right for specials
- z1 trigger to grab, flick to throw in different directions
- z2 trigger to shield

That pretty much covers all the moves I can think up in SSBM. Does that sound plausible?

masud

Banned
BorkBork said:
- z2 trigger to shield

That pretty much covers all the moves I can think up in SSBM. Does that sound plausible?
That sounds good. But they could just overhaul the gameplay too.

japtor

masud said:
That sounds good. But they could just overhaul the gameplay too.
i was thinking they might move it into 3d space like powerstone. use the analog just to move around and different directional flicks of the remote for attacks or something.

rawk

GoutPatrol said:
I have been thinking about this as well. How are they going to do SSB? I think they may just use the classic shell for it, but that would make other companies think that they don't know how to use their own controller.

Either holding the controller sideways, NES style, and jerking it around for smashes, or using the analog attachment.

Drensch

I'm just worried that waving it around might get tiring after a while and I don't like the lack of buttons.

You do not have to wave it around. The gesticulations and exaggerations in the vid are an illustration of the idea. As said in virtually all of the impressions, the movements can be confined to small increments, similar to the amount of movement your hands would make moving a mouse or analog stick.

BorkBork said:
- z2 trigger to shield

I would honestly be interested in seeing them do something with complete control with the remote, but I can't quite work it out yet.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
BorkBork said:
Definite first party titles I envision Nintendo to put out during the launch window:

1.) Mario. Duh, they've already said they're not doing another launch without Mario. Still don't have too much of an idea how they're incorporating the controller with it.
2.) Pilot Wings. Honestly, it's probably the easiest and coolest showcase for the one hand rev controller. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
3.) Metroid Prime 3. Full blown FPS (As much as I liked the FPA idea), essential to convince the hard core dual analog/PC crowd that this is a legitimate and perhaps better alternative to the old methods.
4.) Smash Brothers. Online showcase with enormous appeal. Another one in which I have no idea how they're going to do the controls.
5.) Waverace. No brainer on controller.

Show these in a convincing way within the first six months of launch with combined with some new franchises, and you've got a system with legs to stand on past the gimmick stage.

a launch like that will totally kill me every game is a must in that list even though I haven't heard shit about any of them :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
BorkBork said:
Definite first party titles I envision Nintendo to put out during the launch window:

1.) Mario. Duh, they've already said they're not doing another launch without Mario. Still don't have too much of an idea how they're incorporating the controller with it.
2.) Pilot Wings. Honestly, it's probably the easiest and coolest showcase for the one hand rev controller. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
3.) Metroid Prime 3. Full blown FPS (As much as I liked the FPA idea), essential to convince the hard core dual analog/PC crowd that this is a legitimate and perhaps better alternative to the old methods.
4.) Smash Brothers. Online showcase with enormous appeal. Another one in which I have no idea how they're going to do the controls.
5.) Waverace. No brainer on controller.

Show these in a convincing way within the first six months of launch with combined with some new franchises, and you've got a system with legs to stand on past the gimmick stage.

And Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Endless Destiny to showcase the massivly mutliplayer co-op online RPG ability of the Rev.

They have to have a great launch title to show how serious they are about going online this generation

koam

This just in, shitty online comic does a shitty revolution joke. Laughter not included.

050919.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like the part where they put the 360 like this monster and make fun of PS3 where it should be the other way around and the Revolution joke... seriously what joke?

mCACGj

John Harker said:
And Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Endless Destiny to showcase the massivly mutliplayer co-op online RPG ability of the Rev.

They have to have a great launch title to show how serious they are about going online this generation

How about a Pokemon MMORPG to showcase its seriousness about going online? :)

Previously I wanted to have that new arcade Mario Kart game on Gamecube, but now it would be a perfect laungh game for Revolution. The tilt controls would be perfect for steering the cart. And to start power sliding you could just quickly push the controller forwards and back, for example.

Wow...I've never seen that strip before. It's amazing that the only slightly funny thing in it is the "batarang" joke, and that joke got old before E3 was over back in May.

Also, Penny Arcade should sue them for the penis in the last frame. I'm pretty sure they've copyrighted videogame-related jokes with cocks in them.

bigNman

Last night I had an idea for a pedal attatchment. At first I thought you would need one controller for each pedal but if you wanted to use a controller for the wheel too that would be prohibitive.

So I thought if there was some kind of cradle holding the controller it could work with just one. When you press down on the gas pedal the controller would tilt forward indicating acceleration. And when you press the brake pedal the cradle could move the whole controller forward indicating brake pressure. I doubt it will be made but I think in theory it could work. If you used it with a wheel attatchment you could play all sorts of driving sims.

Shao

bigNman said:
Last night I had an idea for a pedal attatchment. At first I thought you would need one controller for each pedal but if you wanted to use a controller for the wheel too that would be prohibitive.

So I thought if there was some kind of cradle holding the controller it could work with just one. When you press down on the gas pedal the controller would tilt forward indicating acceleration. And when you press the brake pedal the cradle could move the whole controller forward indicating brake pressure. I doubt it will be made but I think in theory it could work. If you used it with a wheel attatchment you could play all sorts of driving sims.

Not a bad idea, only problem is it wouldnt feellike a real pedal system cos you'd be tilting one stick back and forth - even if it is with your feet. If however you used TWO controllers to simulate degrees of pressing down the pedals... as opposed to forwards and backwards...this could definately work!

Ruzbeh

Banned
bigNman said:
Last night I had an idea [...]
Oh yeah. Me too. :) I almost forgot about it.

I thought of this cool paint program. And it would use the X and Z space things, like moving a mouse around the screen would be your brush or whatever. So you could do paint stuff and do it online with a friend or send your images to a friend or whatever. I also came up with this cool spraycan minigame. For example, move the spraycan around by moving your remote around, press B (the trigger) to spray but after like holding it for like 10 seconds the spraycan would get empty or at least you'd think it would get empty. Then you have to shake the spraycan to get some more out of it. Press A and start shaking your controller and you'd hear a shaking sound. And then you can continue spraying with B again, and you'd constantly have to do this. Now, I can imagine this would get annoying so there should be another tool or spray thing that is, like, automated or something, that gives the same spray effect but has a different sound to it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What about an Elektroplankton kind of game, with 4 players/musicians playing live, with the option to save your creations this time.

Or a Brain game where you can hand write answers directly on the screen, with the whole family/friend community competing online for the high score.

Mech games such as Virtual On will work great as well.

A new paradigm has emerged. The potential is so huge, I wonder if it's even worth developing for PS3 or x360 anymore. Why waste talent and ressources on obsolete interfaces? Developpers should be as brave as Nintendo, and join their wagon now. We read a lot about one console future on this forum. Well, it's seems Nintendo should be the Chosen One after all.

There must must must be a Mario game at launch that is a showcase for the controller. From what I gather though, it sounds like they haven't really started developing one, which is cause for concern, considering we expect them to launch in only about 1 year from now.

puck1337

Ruzbeh said:
Oh yeah. Me too. :) I almost forgot about it.

I thought of this cool paint program. And it would use the X and Z space things, like moving a mouse around the screen would be your brush or whatever. So you could do paint stuff and do it online with a friend or send your images to a friend or whatever. I also came up with this cool spraycan minigame. For example, move the spraycan around by moving your remote around, press B (the trigger) to spray but after like holding it for like 10 seconds the spraycan would get empty or at least you'd think it would get empty. Then you have to shake the spraycan to get some more out of it. Press A and start shaking your controller and you'd hear a shaking sound. And then you can continue spraying with B again, and you'd constantly have to do this. Now, I can imagine this would get annoying so there should be another tool or spray thing that is, like, automated or something, that gives the same spray effect but has a different sound to it.
It would just be cool to be able to easily make graffiti in a bunch of different games.

Ruzbeh

Banned
argon said:
The first attachment they need to make is a wireless analog stick instead of a nunchuck.
I don't think it's very handy to have two things that need batteries, besides, you're not going to notice the wire.

Taker666

Ruzbeh said:
I don't think it's very handy to have two things that need batteries, besides, you're not going to notice the wire.

It would also bump up the price having both the analogue stick and remotes as wireless controllers.

Having said that, it would be quite nice if they released a seperate wireless analogue stick for those who don't mind paying the extra.

Ruzbeh

Banned
I just noticed how so much better the controller looks in those pictures with Iwata holding it. It really does look like an iPod.

Ben Sones

Ruzbeh said:
I just noticed how so much better the controller looks in those pictures with Iwata holding it. It really does look like an iPod.

It's also tiny. I think the fact that it looks like a remote (at least from the front) makes it seem like it's larger than it really is, until you see it with something to compare it to (i.e. Iwata holding it in his hand).

Ruzbeh

Banned
Ben Sones said:
It's also tiny. I think the fact that it looks like a remote (at least from the front) makes it seem like it's larger than it really is, until you see it with something to compare it to (i.e. Iwata holding it in his hand).
Yeah, also, the pics that Nintendo gave us aren't very good. This is the only shot that really shows how gorgeous it is:

believe2.JPG

Notice how the ones on the far right and left look the best. Especially the black one. Dear lord.

The one in the center looks the worst, but if we have a shot of it in a different perspective, it would look just as good as the black or even better.

Another pic of Iwata holding it. It's white alright! :D

dlobro1080 said:
There must must must be a Mario game at launch that is a showcase for the controller. From what I gather though, it sounds like they haven't really started developing one, which is cause for concern, considering we expect them to launch in only about 1 year from now.

ummm.... Haven't they been developing Mario 128 for like the past 3 years? It was supposed to be on the GC but got pushed to Rev launch.

Also, I'm sure it was one of the first games that Nintendo began to implement this new control into.

Shiggy

PlayStation Tree said:
ummm.... Haven't they been developing Mario 128 for like the past 3 years? It was supposed to be on the GC but got pushed to Rev launch.

No, they experimented with ideas FOR a new Mario game.

BorkBork said:
- z2 trigger to shield

Not bad. But I want a jump button, I hate jump being "up" on the stick (needs to be a config to turn it off)...I guess just flicking up with no button pressed (like the girl in the video) would be okay. That means flicking left/right with no buttons pressed would be "roll", and down would be dodge (in the air would be air dodge). Smash Bros also needs a "pick up/use item" button that's not shared with attack, for more precise control, but especially to force the AI to be programmed to use items properly.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I just got this...

gamestop e-mail said:
Xbox 360 Bundles-Launch Quantities are still Available

The perfect blend of powerful technology, sophisticated design and realized possibilities for the future of games and entertainment has arrived. This isn't about incremental change. It's a revolution!

Does that not sound desperate? It IS just an incremental change and it's NOT a revolution! HA HA HA...sorry, I found it amusing.

Ruzbeh

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
I just got this...

Does that not sound desperate? It IS just an incremental change and it's NOT a revolution! HA HA HA...sorry, I found it amusing.
Well, that's obviously PR bullshit, ironic because there is a console out there called Revolution that is more than incremental change. I think it's funny they said "sophisticated design". :lol

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Yeah the "sophisticated design" is also laughable. Not calling the X-BOX 360 ugly, in fact it's better looking than the first...but I wouldn't call it sophisticated.

Hey, Junker's back! I wanted to talk with you again about the possibility of Revolution games still being played on multiple screens. Each screen would require a sensor bar as well as an A/V receiver...which probably means that it would most likely have to have a power supply (they might've been able to get away with just batteries before). Do you think it's still possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom