• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2015 is looking FANTASTIC

Putty

Spa, 1:49.6 in the game compared to 1:50.5 in last years actual race. Given some tracks this year have been seen faster laps, this difference seems very good. On legendary difficulty. Yesterday's findings still have me playing the waiting game somewhat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8O3R1dTII

Seems you can get away with going VERY wide on some corners, with zero impact/concequences on your car.

Its crying out for some serious camera shake/movement especially when you go off track or over curbs. The sound is all there to give you the aural indication but it just needs that extra visual polish.

Performance looks pretty good, though i do detect some screen tear. Interesting to see what its like in the midst of a full grid.

The movement of the front wing is a really nice touch.

Two bits of news from those who managed to grab the game early:

- Race weekends can only be selected in 3 lenghts; Short (15 min practice, one shot quali, 25% race), Normal (30 min practice, 15 min quali, 50% race) and Long (60 min practice, 18 min Q1, 15 min Q2, 12 min Q3, 100% race). As far as people can tell, there is no way to get the 3 separate qualifying sessions unless you commit to 100% races. Expect a bit of backlash for this, but at least mid-session saves exist for this purpose.

- Safety Car feature has seemingly been removed. No options for it in the menus and no footage has been seen of it. I imagine they've done a FIFA with it and held it for later games. And as far as I can tell no Virtual SC feature has been included either.

Azzawon

20 cars for 2014 season, 18 for 2015 season (Marussia is out).
That's what I got from the previews and E3 impressions.

Surely there'd be 22 cars in 2014 and 20 for 2015? It's Caterham that left and never came back :p

- Race weekends can only be selected in 3 lenghts; Short (15 min practice, one shot quali, 25% race), Normal (30 min practice, 15 min quali, 50% race) and Long (60 min practice, 18 min Q1, 15 min Q2, 12 min Q3, 100% race). As far as people can tell, there is no way to get the 3 separate qualifying sessions unless you commit to 100% races. Expect a bit of backlash for this, but at least mid-session saves exist for this purpose.

- Safety Car feature has seemingly been removed. No options for it in the menus and no footage has been seen of it. I imagine they've done a FIFA with it and held it for later games. And as far as I can tell no Virtual SC feature has been included either.

Well, that's a shame. Especially regarding quali, I don't really want to commit to 100% races to get the full quali experience.

That's a shame :( Quite disappointed!

Edit: my copy just fell on the mat. Impressions later....

Lach

Wow. Both of those are quite huge. I mean why the dumbing down of race weekend configuration?

SC I can kinda understand as they always had trouble with those in the previous games, but it's still shitty!

Azzawon

On the disc there are 18 cars in the 2015 season with Manor being added in a day one update.

Yeah I know - just weird that some gameplay videos show 18 cars and some show 20 with the 2015 grid. Maybe the Manors are included in review copies but the D1P that includes them isn't out yet?

Fox Mulder

A shame. I'll stick with pcars formula a if the official f1 game can't even get official rules right.

I really don't get why they would drop these, as it's been in the games for awhile. It was pretty hard to get a safety car in some of the games though.

Safety Cars aren't a huge loss personally, as they were difficult to get in offline races and they were notoriously buggy online.

If they iron out the issues and bring it back for future games while including Virtual SC rules as well, I'll be happy.

This game feels like F1 2010 all over again, a light reboot of the series on a new engine. As long the driving model, force feedback and hopefully online netcode have seen improvements, it'll be worth the purchase.

JamboGT

I don't mind the lack of a safety car, it is there to protect marshals and clean up debris. That isn't needed in a game. I guess you miss out on the unpredictability of it all but for 90% of people they get that by making mistakes.

From above, 2010 was my favourite of codies F1 games so am all for that :p

Fox Mulder

I don't mind the lack of a safety car, it is there to protect marshals and clean up debris. That isn't needed in a game. I guess you miss out on the unpredictability of it all but for 90% of people they get that by making mistakes.

From above, 2010 was my favourite of codies F1 games so am all for that :p

Safety cars allow strategies like unexpected pit stops and fuel saving.

LilJoka

Nobody should be surprised with F1 2015, we have been through the same stuff every year, the game is never perfect or even close to being well rounded in terms of features. It's like they change their target audience every year.

Malcolm9

There is still a Seasons mode, but you just don't create yourself like you used to.

I'm wondering if you could start as a particular driver & car and move across to another car ie if you pick Lewis Hamilton will you always be in the Mercedes?

There were french guys streaming this on Playstation Live yesterday.

Staab

All that offline stuff doesn't really matter to me, if they want a sale they have to bring it in the online department :
- solid lobby options and full race customization
- good netcode with no incessant disconnects (ideally dedicated servers)
- solid rules for collisions and track limits
- being able to save a custom championship with points and standings (like quali one day, race the next, etc...)

@Kie: is online available yet ? what can you tell about it ?

edit: ahh okay, thanks Putty !

Risgroo

Sad to hear it's so barebones, but I'll give it a go anyway, just to check out the handling.
Yaaaaayyy Steam refunds!

Putty

All that offline stuff doesn't really matter to me, if they want a sale they have to bring it in the online department :
- solid lobby options and full race customization
- good netcode with no incessant disconnects (ideally dedicated servers)
- solid rules for collisions and track limits
- being able to save a custom championship with points and standings (like quali one day, race the next, etc...)

@Putty: is online available yet ? what can you tell about it ?

Don't know mate, i'm posting vids that Kie has uploaded. Kie chime in with more details if you are reading this.

Ryne

There is still a Seasons mode, but you just don't create yourself like you used to.

I'm wondering if you could start as a particular driver & car and move across to another car ie if you pick Lewis Hamilton will you always been in the Mercedes?

FOM doesn't allow drivers to change seats like that (that statement given before by CM devs), so I doubt this would be in place.

The season mode is nothing like the career mode I was hoping for. I hope they bring it back if they still have the license in the future.

Malcolm9

FOM doesn't allow drivers to change seats like that (that statement given before by CM devs), so I doubt this would be in place.

The season mode is nothing like the career mode I was hoping for. I hope they bring it back if they still have the license in the future.

Fair enough, but I'm wondering how long the season mode goes on for, and if you can start with a Force India using the existing drivers whilst progressing the car to challenge for the championship etc.

That would be decent enough really, career mode was never that exciting anyway in the previous versions.

Ryne

Fair enough, but I'm wondering how long the season mode goes on for, and if you can start with a Force India using the existing drivers whilst progressing the car to challenge for the championship etc.

That would be decent enough really, career mode was never that exciting anyway in the previous versions.

From the press quotes it appears to only be one season, but we will see once the game gets spread out more.

I don't think taking a Manor and developing it into a race winner in one year is realistic in progression, so that's not something I am looking forward to.

Malcolm9

From the press quotes it appears to only be one season, but we will see once the game gets spread out more.

I don't think taking a Manor and developing it into a race winner in one year is realistic in progression, so that's not something I am looking forward to.

Hopefully progression would be on a realistic basis ie the better you do in regards to finishing the race you obtain better funding for upgrades etc, so that would curtail going from a back of the pack car to a race winning one in one season.

We'll see when it's released, I think I will get it as I love F1 and this looks good enough to scratch that itch. Project Cars Formula A are good but very hard to drive at times.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Its crying out for some serious camera shake/movement especially when you go off track or over curbs. The sound is all there to give you the aural indication but it just needs that extra visual polish.

Yeah, I miss that too. You are just not feeling the speed and brutality of driving a ground rocket at 300kph.

ElTorro

I am also seeing tearing in almost all the footage that we have so far. Not heavy tearing, but it's frequent.

Putty

Yeah, I miss that too. You are just not feeling the speed and brutality of driving a ground rocket at 300kph.

It's done so well in DC, and i'm thinking it would be a very simple thing to achieve. Like i say, when you look at onboard real life footage, you can see just how beastly these cars are to keep in check.

Hopefully progression would be on a realistic basis ie the better you do in regards to finishing the race you obtain better funding for upgrades etc, so that would curtail going from a back of the pack car to a race winning one in one season.

Never going to happen with no competition, Codemasters are free to continuously churn out the same rubbish and hide under the 'FOM won't let us' security blanket.

ShamePain

Banned
I'm really liking the lighting in this game, looks realistic without being overdone, track side detail is also impressive.

RoKKeR

Wait, so there is no career mode where you can make your own guy and have him get contract offers from other teams and what not? Really??

That was like my favorite part of these games. Damn.

I guess that's what happens when you push a company to release the game earlier than they're used to.

That's no excuse.

They had nearly two years. Last years F1 on last gen was just a reskin of 2014 with different drivers and they changed shit. So I doubt they were working on that long.

Just lazy developers gotta be lazy. They been hinting next gen versions since both consoles announced in 2013.

JamboGT

The developers aren't being lazy, they may have a smaller team than they need, or not enough budget but I can guarantee that the people working on that game are not lazy.

Branson

No safety car is a huge loss. How do you release a racing game in 2015 that's supposed to portray a real life racing series and not have cautions? Terrible. There are mods for 2014 that change the roster to 15 right?

Fantomex

No safety car is a huge loss. How do you release a racing game in 2015 that's supposed to portray a real life racing series and not have cautions? Terrible. There are mods for 2014 that change the roster to 15 right?

Codemasters like:

popcopy-o.gif

such bullshit for a licensed game on it's 7th year/version.

The developers aren't being lazy, they may have a smaller team than they need, or not enough budget but I can guarantee that the people working on that game are not lazy.

They should have just ported over 2014 and polished it up then, at least the features there could have stayed for the ride.

It's like how they featured tons of classic stuff in 2013 then SUDDENLY forgot it even existed and we never saw it again, what a huge waste of effort.

Wait, so there is no career mode where you can make your own guy and have him get contract offers from other teams and what not? Really??

That was like my favorite part of these games. Damn.

Same.

And no Safety Car is bad.. I want this game to be closer to a F1 simulator

I think I'll pass.

Fantomex

such bullshit for a licensed game on it's 7th year/version.

They should have just ported over 2014 and polished it up then, at least the features there could have stayed for the ride.

It's like how they featured tons of classic stuff in 2013 then SUDDENLY forgot it even existed and we never saw it again, what a huge waste of effort.

The reason most of us gave up on paying full price for this franchise. They are happy with below average mediocrity. It's not that hard. The rules of F1 haven't changed. They could honestly be cranking these out like Madden or Fifa every year but for some reason they get delayed. Sometimes the models, physics or A.I. don't improve at all, yet they seemingly take forever to release the last years game with added teams or driver changes. It's ridiculous. These dudes are the PES of Racing games. Excuses, Excuses.

ElTorro

Agree. The 'lazy dev' meme is some poisonous nonsense.

Staab

Lazy or not, it's a farce when each iteration actually contains LESS content than the previous one :
co-op career ?
gone
classic cars / races ?
gone
real career mode ?
gone
safety car ?
gone

and the list goes on...

It's just a complete lack of foresight, 0 goodwill and pure stupidity when each time they release something it ends up missing in the next, makes 0 sense.
Not even like those things never showed up so they can't say it's a license restriction unless it gets tighter each year (which I sincerely doubt...).
And F1 isn't some fantasy thing, these shouldn't be up to Studio preferences or choices, they should be part of the base game.

chrislowe

I still think F1 99-02 is the best F1-sim out there.

I have F1 2014, and it sucked compared to F1 99-02, so I will pass this one.

ElTorro

Lazy or not, it's a farce when each iteration actually contains LESS content than the previous one :

Yeah, it's a shame. But AFAIK almost all annual sports franchises have suffered from this syndrome during their migration to next-gen. The resources apparently are not sufficient to develop a brand new next-gen engine and port all features of previous games to it at the same time.

One thing I do like from videos is the animations for the drivers, they hold their hand up if someone nearly drives into them, they have animations getting in and out the car which look a lot better, so forth.

One day we will get a full pit stop with tons of animated humans changing the wheels and nose cones of all 20 cars and it will look amazing.

amar212

I think Codemasters are in problems and this game will be very important for their future.

We heard about halving of the actual team before and IIRC no F1 release after 2011 was commercialy successful. I think F1 Stars also missed internal forceast, while F1 Online project was sent strictly to die.

Also, the investment in the RaceNet probably never paid-off simply because it was never fully developed as probably intended.

I loved new TOCA and it was faboulus game, but it also missed commercial success.

I think they have extreme issues with focus groups and actual design and expectarions from the communities. Also, despite being amazing, new Dirt is still far from being commercial.

With extremely expensive licence they have to pay to FOMA for F1 and running costs, I think it is not easy to develop commercial hit. And IMO, they need one. Desperately.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If the rumors of iracing eyeballing the official F1 license is true, then we won't have to put up with this nonsense much longer.

Top Bottom