• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scheier/Bloomberg: Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League is Dead on Arrival. Rocksteady has been working on it since 2017.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but we're currently discussing whether or not this is a "flop":

Wasn't the game delayed by a wide margin for "polish"? Because it felt like the game was delayed not for that, but because of overwhelmingly negative reactions.

Ristifer

Trust me. I remember the Arkham Knight threads. A large portion of people bitching and moaning about the Batmobile. That gameplay looks like a Picasso painting next to this drivel. And I was someone who was rooting for this game when it was first announced.

Anyone who says this gameplay looks better than the Arkham games needs to get in for an MRI as soon as possible.

Monkfish877

Seven years. Seven fucking years of development on this trash game in this trash genre. By a studio known for single player games, who had previously released three single player games in that same amount of time.

Imagine the kind of financial damage Rocksteady is going to incur when this game flops and imagine instead where they would be if they had released two or three single player games instead.

To fans of GAAS, when people say GAAS is going to kill the industry, this is what we mean.
Jim Ryan's side hustle, working as a consultant at Warner Bros/Rocksteady.

Shin-Ra

Apparently Destiny’s not doing so hot any more. Destruction AllStars was so unappealing from the very first announcement that it’s completely forgotten.

Even if it flopped (hard to flop as hard as DAS) Ridge Racer 8 (4K60) would’ve added a lot more value to PS5’s early games lineup and Bandai Namco Bamco’s not afraid of selling car skins, BGM and other inconsequential shit for months after launch that helps keep a game in the news anyway.

WipEout Omega Collection could’ve been cheaply updated for PS5 launch with a 120fps flat screen mode, higher res+90fps PS4 boost for PSVR, similar to Blood and Truth and eventually a native PSVR2 update.

But nope, let’s piss money up the GaaS wall with tacky wacky characters because that’s what GaaS players like.

Mobilemofo

Trust me. I remember the Arkham Knight threads. A large portion of people bitching and moaning about the Batmobile. That gameplay looks like a Picasso painting next to this drivel. And I was someone who was rooting for this game when it was first announced.

Anyone who says this gameplay looks better than the Arkham games needs to get in for an MRI as soon as possible.

I mean, who the fuck asked for this game? "Hey man..would you buy a suicide squad game?"

Customer: "fuck no.."

Ok...let's get it made..

Fuck off.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No person, or organization, changes unless they have to. The SP Batman games were getting more expensive to make with each installment and their sales ceiling wasn't rising at a healthy enough rate.

They were forced to jump off that train because it led to a 1,000ft cliff.

So instead of staying on the train and selling millions of copies, they waste seven or so years worth of development time and money only to jump off the cliff.

Brilliant strategy.

MiguelItUp

There is. Harley is more like a Batman character with a grapple hook and faster traversal. Deadshot has his sniper rifle and better at ranged. Shark is more melee with charges and ground slam attacks. Boomerang is the middle balanced of the characters.
I'm just going by what I've read and heard. Yes, "differences" exist, but from what I've gathered they're not substantial for a lot of players which is the problem. Or they didn't feel like they were.

Won't know anything until I, or we, play it ourselves. But for now, that's all we have are these previews and impressions.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm just going by what I've read and heard. Yes, "differences" exist, but from what I've gathered they're not substantial for a lot of players which is the problem. Or they didn't feel like they were.

Won't know anything until I, or we, play it ourselves. But for now, that's all we have are these previews and impressions.

I played the Alpha. What I described is how they played in the Alpha.

Svejk

If it kills Rocksteady, don't worry... MS will scoop them up and make it a powerhouse dev once again.

MiguelItUp

I played the Alpha. What I described is how they played in the Alpha.
Well in that case that's fair! But it's clearly a to each their own situation as others haven't felt the same way. Between that or the gameplay just not being, well, "fun." But I'll just figure it for myself if I decide to play it or not, lol.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

This game looks as bad to me as it does everyone else, but the marketing appears effective to me.

I think it has a chance to hit, at least for a while.

mdkirby

If someone is stupid enough to assume something about a game and not actually research if it's true or not, maybe they shouldn't be playing games at all.
Doesn’t really matter. And a huge percent of consumers are…let’s be generous and call them “misinformed”. Bear in mind too that “most” consumers are not the more hardcore, more informed people that frequent forums like this. They are much more casual and their exposure to gaming news that may drive their purchase decisions is much more surface level and thus much more prone to being misinformed. One stat I’ve always found fascinating is the 70% of Americans will share an article on social media having only read the headline, and given headlines are often intentionally structured to trigger things like anger, fear, hatred (sadly it’s those emotions that yield the highest engagement) they’ll often intentionally misconstrued the actual context of an article as a way to drive clicks. A false equivalence was often drawn by gaming media between guardians and avengers, and that false equivalence could very well be the only thing a lot of potential customers saw, and is an opinion you still see expressed by people even today long after release. Doesn’t mean it’s not dumb, but it is what it is, and the end result is the same, guardians was a great game that bombed hard, in part due to its association with the failure of avengers, and pretty much killed the studio in the process (well, got them sold for peanuts to embracer..who themselves are now borderline bankrupt), which absolutely sucked as I loved their games.

Hohenheim

I don't give a fuck about this game, but I hope it's a mega sucess just to shut that basement dweller J Scheier up.
So sick and tired of his rambling. If he's what "real" game journalism is, then fuck "real" game journalism.
He's always stirring up shit where there's nothing to begin with, like all his "investigations" to find everyone who works some overtime making their games, detective Scheier hanging them like they're sex offenders or something. Fuck him.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's Baby Bingo time once again folks. Looks like we're onto a double winner tonight you lucky duckys 👍

Yq42sOb.jpg

The old guard that used to make your favourite games?

THEY'RE DEAD.

To fans of GAAS, when people say GAAS is going to kill the industry, this is what we mean.

Features of most successful GAAS:

- Story driven

- Mostly single-player (MP is an added feature, not the core of the game)

-Likeable characters.

-Well-thought worldbuilding (so you can add layer after layer without screwing things up)

- Top-notch production values.

I'm pretty sure none of the above may be found in this Suicide Squad game.

No, GAAS is not killing the industry. Clueless developers and execs are. This is as wrong as saying that there is "superhero fatigue" in cinema. No, it's bad movie fatigue. Don't blame the genre for the incompetence of creators.

Features of most successful GAAS:

- Story driven

- Mostly single-player (MP is an added feature, not the core of the game)

-Likeable characters.

-Well-thought worldbuilding (so you can add layer after layer without screwing things up)

- Top-notch production values.

I'm pretty sure none of the above may be found in this Suicide Squad game.

No, GAAS is not killing the industry. Clueless developers and execs are. This is as wrong as saying that there is "superhero fatigue" in cinema. No, it's bad movie fatigue. Don't blame the genre for the incompetence of creators.
Citation needed. Where those kinds of GAAS? Because as far as I know, the GAAS making all the money are Fortnite, Destiny, Rocket League, COD, GTA, FIFA, Genshin Impact, and Roblox. And everyone else is trying to get a piece of their pies, which is a fruitless endeavor, because the audience for those games have already sunk hundreds or thousands of dollars and hours into their GAAS of choice, so good luck peeling them away from that level of investment.

This is an exact repeat of what happened after World of Warcraft hit it big. You had all these immitators come out shortly and sometimes not so shortly thereafter and they all bombed one after another, outside of a few exceptions.

Last edited:

Fake

I don't trust you. Played loads of times Batman Arkham Knight and the batmobile is really the issue there.

If you remove the batmobile, AK is superior to AC.

Ristifer

I don't trust you. Played loads of times Batman Arkham Knight and the batmobile is really the issue there.

If you remove the batmobile, AK is superior to AC.
I’m fine if it’s not superior to AC even with the Batmobile. It’s still miles better than what’s being shown here.

yansolo

they couldve just made a single player batman/injustice game where you fight the justice league members or something, maybe even have superman chase you around a la resident evil 2/3 if they wanted jl/suicide squad characters so bad. or they couldve made a quality court of owls game instead they wasted it on that gotham knights nonsense

Last edited:

drotahorror

Oh my good man..

You so need to play it. It's pure cringe like you wouldnt believe. My whole face inverted after an hour. I actually couldn't take anymore and uninstalled it.

You could have just muted the voices. Just like in all the previous Forza Horizon games, first thing I did was mute the cringy ass dialogue. I'm sure you don't give a shit, but you missed out on a really fun arcade racer that shits on the Forza Horizon series.

Exactly why the most retard proof tutorials exist today, no one can think for themselves.

This could sink the studio. Hopefully not and hopefully they get the next 4 years to make a batman game again.

I actually thought SS was a single player title. Will it have a campaign at least?
Extensive story so they say.
Also will add an offline mode in later so they say.

Stooky

i’m tired of jason killing games before their release. give the game a fighting chance to find its audience. every game launch doesn’t have to hit bullseye every time. it’s click bait reporting. he’s using the games release hype to get more clicks in his articles. he’s does this everytime. it’s like kanye doing something controversial before he drops an album.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can someone ask this glorified blogger what's up with the Final Fantasy Tactics remake/remaster? He said that it's coming a year ago...

Top Bottom