• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide : Squad; Kill The Justice League | Review Thread

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A lot of people are pointing to the Steam percentage as some sort of indication that the game is being received better than the critics... but there's not a lot of point using them as evidence while there's only a small amount of reviews, put up by people who spent $100 to play this game. They are bound to be generous with their scores, given the fact they were hyped enough to spend that much cash. They're probably not going to be 100% honest.

If the game is still high scoring percentage-wise when there's several thousand reviews up, that might be a different matter. Although the fact Granblue has over 6000 reviews at the time of writing, and SS only has 1000 it perhaps indicative of how few people are bothering to even buy it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
b59xaxb00cgc1.png

IGN:

the simpsons adult GIF

Last edited:
Metacritic: 61 from 21 reviews (PS5)
Open Critic: 63 from 15 reviews
83% positive and 7167 players on Steam

I believe we have entered the territory of "but I'm having fun, why should I care about scores*?" And there is no answer to that; your opinion is the only one that matters. I'm not going to tell you that you're not actually having fun, at least not about something as silly as video games. Just keep in mind that this is not the same as the game having no issues or not being disappointing in certain aspects. But go ahead, have fun. I would even recommend staying away from here, not because you should be silenced, but because then you can spend more time being happy. ❤️

Yes. I don't feel like he wanted to give 5 at all to be honest.
I would argue they wanted to give a lower score but that is fine, different opinions I guess

Last edited:

Madflavor

I believe we have entered the territory of "but I'm having fun, why should I care about grades?" And there is no answer to that; your opinion is the only one that matters. I'm not going to tell you that you're not actually having fun, at least not about something as silly as video games. Just keep in mind that this is not the same as the game having no issues or not being disappointing in certain aspects. But go ahead, have fun. I would even recommend staying away from here, not because you should be silenced, but because then you can spend more time being happy. ❤️

I would argue they wanted to give a lower score but that is fine, different opinions I guess

Good advice. There are some usual suspects on here that are trying a bit too hard to validate their enjoyment and purchase of the game. Comments about Steam reviews are going to age about as well as Starfield’s did during launch when some people were like “See? See? Starfield has positive reviews on Steam.”

ManaByte

Gold Member

I believe we have entered the territory of "but I'm having fun, why should I care about grades?" And there is no answer to that; your opinion is the only one that matters. I'm not going to tell you that you're not actually having fun, at least not about something as silly as video games. Just keep in mind that this is not the same as the game having no issues or not being disappointing in certain aspects. But go ahead, have fun. I would even recommend staying away from here, not because you should be silenced, but because then you can spend more time being happy. ❤️

Karak Karak makes a good point in the video above. There are people saying this game is literally as bad as Gollum (IGN) or that Kong game, and if we accept that; it sets an IMPOSSIBLE bar that no other game will be able to clear.

Karak Karak makes a good point in the video above. There are people saying this game is literally as bad as Gollum (IGN) or that Kong game, and if we accept that; it sets an IMPOSSIBLE bar that no other game will be able to clear.
Karak's generally had very reasonable takes in regards to most games.

I saw one reviewer say this was "one of the worst games he's ever played."

adult swim look GIF

If this is one of the worst games you've ever played, count yourself lucky. People are overexaggerating so much with this game and invest way too much into "it's the worst thing ever or best thing ever" pile that they can't see the forest for the trees.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It’s objectively nowhere near as bad as Gollum or Kong. Thats just silly talk. Its problems all stem from it being a GaaS.

skyfall

There are some usual suspects on here that are trying a bit too hard to validate their enjoyment and purchase of the game.

When someone is spending all their time desperately trying to defend a game and shill it hard, rather than talking about why it's so good, that's a telltale sign there's an issue.

Madflavor

When someone is spending all their time desperately trying to defend a game and shill it hard, rather than talking about why it's so good, that's a telltale sign there's an issue.

The common sentiment I'm seeing from people enjoying the game is:

"It's actually kinda fun."
"It's actually not that bad."
"I'm enjoying it. It's not great, but it's not as bad as people are saying."

I mean these aren't ringing endorsements for a game this long in development, by this experienced and beloved of a developer, and by this price tag. Especially those who paid $100. It reminds me of my experience with FFXVI. Did I have fun and enjoy the game? Yeah for the most part. Was I incredibly disappointed that it wasn't nearly as good as it should've been? Definitely.

The reality is people, including many of the ones enjoying it, are going to move on from this game very quickly and forget about it. It'll likely suffer the same fate as Avengers, and potentially arrive there even quicker.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It'll likely suffer the same fate as Avengers, and potentially arrive there even quicker.

Again, the Karak video above makes a good point about Avengers. It had really shit level design and no endgame at launch. Then IGN flat out lied about Avengers in their SS review claiming Avengers had more endgame content than SS did at launch, when that was false and the Hives in Avengers didn't arrive until three months after launch (and were bugged to shit) and the first new character (Hawkeye) was months after launch with a non-repeatable boss fight. Joker, 2 bosses, new area, and new quests are being added next month.

MiguelItUp

Rocksteady Studios co-founders Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker to leave studio at end of 2022.​

Thanks WB Games!

The reality is people, including many of the ones enjoying it, are going to move on from this game very quickly and forget about it. It'll likely suffer the same fate as Avengers, and potentially arrive there even quicker.
Eh, that could be said about a lot of games, even "better" ones, when content go stale or there's not enough, etc. I didn't keep up with Avengers personally cause I didn't care about it at all, but I feel that this already has received more positive sentiment of different sizes than that game ever did. Especially in the same amount of time. I can certainly agree with what ACG said, personally.

I see myself giving it the Diablo IV treatment. Beating the campaign, putting it down, and revisiting whenever more content drops. But even then I haven't done that with Diablo IV yet, lol.

Last edited:
WB refusing to send them review code got it docked two points, no doubt.
I said to a group of friends that the IGN score would be a 7 if they got the keys lol
I do agree that reviews are harsher when people have to pay for the game, but I think this is actually a good thing.
Price makes all the difference when it comes to judging something and people will have to pay for the game.

Gollum and Kong should both get 1/10 anyway.
True

ManaByte

Gold Member
I said to a group of friends that the IGN score would be a 7 if they got the keys lol

Nah, IGN had it out for the beginning. Massive Xbox fanboy Destin was the one to trash it in the preview. Probably because he was butthurt that the best outfits in the game are exclusive to PS and locked to the platform.

"It's actually kinda fun."
"It's actually not that bad."
"I'm enjoying it. It's not great, but it's not as bad as people are saying."

Great point here. I wanted to point out that those statements, while relatively positive, do not bode well for any kind of player retention, which is what this game needs.

You have extra content coming in a month, but it won't be enough and that time-frame isn't a guarantee.

It's gotta have the substance and ability to hold players UNTIL then and I'm just not seeing it anywhere.

By the time that content comes out, you'll have FF7Rebirth, possibly even Elden Ring DLC(rumored). Rise of the Ronin will be around the corner, Helldivers will be out, etc.

I just don't see this game surviving for four seasons of content. A total peak of 12,600 and falling already on launch?? Not good.

MiguelItUp

Great point here. I wanted to point out that those statements, while relatively positive, do not bode well for any kind of player retention, which is what this game needs.

You have extra content coming in a month, but it won't be enough and that time-frame isn't a guarantee.

It's gotta have the substance and ability to hold players UNTIL then and I'm just not seeing it anywhere.

By the time that content comes out, you'll have FF7Rebirth, possibly even Elden Ring DLC(rumored). Rise of the Ronin will be around the corner, Helldivers will be out, etc.

I just don't see this game surviving for four seasons of content. A total peak of 12,600 and falling already on launch?? Not good.
It's another situation where some will stay, some will revisit, and some will leave. I hate constantly going back to it, but it's a GaaS so it works, but I feel like Diablo IV is a good example of that. Some folks never left, some folks revisit with new content, and some haven't. It's just all a mixed bag.

There are definitely releases on the horizon that a lot of people are excited about, but I don't think a "better" release window would've changed the trajectory for them.

radewagon

They should release DLC that rebrands the game to feature the Teen Titans Go. They could have the story revolve around Rocksteady foolishly making a GAAS title that angers a fan base that wanted an authentic continuation of their previous work. It would be much meta. I would play that game.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Would have been great if there was some kind of group of vigilante gamers, not the purple haired resetera nutters who boycotted HL, but a similar thing, where thousands of ppl agreed to all play the Arkham games on the release day of SS to send a god damn message lol, RS might get the picture if all the Arkham games had more players on steam than their new game

Btw this is a tongue in cheek post before all u SS fans get your icepops melted

Last edited:

Madflavor

Again, the Karak video above makes a good point about Avengers. It had really shit level design and no endgame at launch. Then IGN flat out lied about Avengers in their SS review claiming Avengers had more endgame content than SS did at launch, when that was false and the Hives in Avengers didn't arrive until three months after launch (and were bugged to shit) and the first new character (Hawkeye) was months after launch with a non-repeatable boss fight. Joker, 2 bosses, new area, and new quests are being added next month.

It's not going to matter how much more content they add as opposed to Avengers if not enough people are playing. Adding more content is not going to fix many of the issues people have with the game. The people who like it seem to personally be scoring it 7s and 8s. This isn't exactly painting a healthy long term picture, especially when there are more beloved and better alternatives to play right now. SS did half the numbers on Steam than Gotham Knights did. It's off to a very bad start, and thinking WB/Rocksteady is going to turn things around and that the game will grow in popularity, is being extremely optimistic.

Freeman76

It's not going to matter how much more content they add as opposed to Avengers if not enough people are playing. Adding more content is not going to fix many of the issues people have with the game. The people who like it seem to personally be scoring it 7s and 8s. This isn't exactly painting a healthy long term picture, especially when there are more beloved and better alternatives to play right now. SS did half the numbers on Steam than Gotham Knights did. It's off to a very bad start, and thinking WB/Rocksteady is going to turn things around and that the game will grow in popularity, is being extremely optimistic.
Not only that, but the same people gushing over the game will be back here whinging when "They released Joker and expect me to do the same shit all over again in a different skin"

New characters and areas wont change the fact its monotonous

intbal

Nah, IGN had it out for the beginning. Massive Xbox fanboy Destin was the one to trash it in the preview. Probably because he was butthurt that the best outfits in the game are exclusive to PS and locked to the platform.
Maybe he's a massive Justice League fan and he didn't like the way Sweet Baby trashed his favorite characters.

Should we have connected?

I think what I'm trying to say is that the general perception of this game being mediocre reaches people far quicker than in years past.

It's known that people did not want a GAAS from someone like Rocksteady and they clearly aren't interested in Suicide Squad as an IP, really.

I think the writing was on the wall for this from the moment it was revealed, completely lambasted then delayed for a year.

People are tired of shelling out $70 and then having to shell out more for a pass, or more for seasonal content, etc.

Yeah, content is on the game and waiting on a patch, but reading impressions on the endgame, folks aren't gonna sit around on a rooftop with their thumb up their ass looking for the next color flip mission long.

Gamespot said it is better than Avengers, Anthem and Redfall :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fun fact: Gotham City Impostors has a 71 score, better than GK e SS lmao
This idea that IGN is targeting the game and being too harsh doesn't hold up when you notice that many other websites are also giving it a score of 5. My interpretation: Warner didn't send it out to see if they could prevent people from canceling pre-orders, but this choice led game reviewers to give harsher ratings. Only WB can say whether this decision was right or not in the end.
Good advice. There are some usual suspects on here that are trying a bit too hard to validate their enjoyment and purchase of the game. Comments about Steam reviews are going to age about as well as Starfield’s did during launch when some people were like “See? See? Starfield has positive reviews on Steam.”
Just ask them:

• Does it feature a variety of enemies?
  • How are the encounters?
  • Do you think the boss battles are well-executed?
  • What is the mission structure like?
and watch they melt

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just ask them:

• Does it feature a variety of enemies?
  • How are the encounters?
  • Do you think the boss battles are well-executed?
  • What is the mission structure like?
and watch they melt

Or you can just ask if they're having fun instead of trying to entrap them into trying to explain how the game is not what you want it to be.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The in-your-face failure of these games give me a small amount of hope for our gaming future.

It's selling more on PSN (US) than Persona 3 or Granblue. If that's a failure, then Atlus is doomed. Tekken 6 is #7, and Persona 3 is #10. Granblue has fallen out of the top 10 in the US.
1usOzFJ.png

Last edited:
Yea well when people are trolling the OT 24/7 and literally calling people in there retarded for buying the game it gets annoying.

Then name them, call them out for being dickheads

How we are not to know that you are trolling the way you are behaving?

To say you are enjoying the game you seem to spend more time on this forum looking for any inch of positivity about it than actually playing the fucking thing

It's selling more on PSN (US) than Persona 3 or Granblue. If that's a failure, then Atlus is doomed. Tekken 6 is #7, and Persona 3 is #10. Granblue has fallen out of the top 10 in the US.
1usOzFJ.png
You didn't just compare niche jrpgs and fighters to gaas, shooters and sports titles, did you? OMG you did!
laughs GIF

My dear, step away from the keyboard for a moment and reflect: It's highly unlikely, bordering on madness, to think that the games you mentioned had a budget and sales expectations close to those of Suicide Squad. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, some information will leak, and we'll find out that you were right, but for now, in the present, this seems improbable.

And I'll say this, without paternalism or condescension: You seem to have really enjoyed the game, and that's perfectly fine. Go ahead and play it. The opinions of random people on the internet don't matter, buddy. Let the folks in the OT complain; if they're doing what you said, they're not even worth your time. This applies to the whole internet. Your ultimate "revenge" is spending your time enjoying the game, while the bitter ones waste their time talking negatively. Even better, take some screenshots of the best moments and post them as if you hadn't even seen the comments. Haters hate being ignored.

MiguelItUp

Would have been great if there was some kind of group of vigilante gamers, not the purple haired resetera nutters who boycotted HL, but a similar thing, where thousands of ppl agreed to all play the Arkham games on the release day of SS to send a god damn message lol, RS might get the picture if all the Arkham games had more players on steam than their new game

Btw this is a tongue in cheek post before all u SS fans get your icepops melted
I don't even think it would matter, because that Rocksteady is clearly long gone therefore they wouldn't learn anything. WB forced their hand, and essentially drained Rocksteady of what it once was, and that's really it.

There's more SS "enjoyers" than "fans" from what I can tell, I'd say there's a big difference between the two, lmao.

The in-your-face failure of these games give me a small amount of hope for our gaming future.
It goes both ways for me. I can understand wanting the best for gaming and the industry, but I'll never understand berating or shitting on games or folks that enjoyed them. That goes for any hobby or adjacent. If it's something I don't care about, I don't buy it or give it attention. If other people do, that's fine, good for them. No reason to drag them though. A simple. "Nah, it's not for me" or "I don't get it" is more than affective. But maybe I feel this way because I've worked in the industry as long as I have. To say something is "trash", "shit", or similar is pretty harsh when you know how many people worked really hard on it. 🤷‍♂️

All in all it's a really bizarre reaction to me. Hardcore defending a game (or some hobby you love) to the point where it sounds like you'd take a bullet for it. Or being on the opposite end and being hyper aggressive towards things you don't enjoy and its enjoyers. Just feels like a waste of energy and time IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom