• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game formulas that surprisingly haven't been redone by indie devs

Brashnir

So how about Zelda 1 clones? Open world, over head action RPGs where progress is different based upon which order you tackle dungeons and collect items. Eg "If I beat Dungeon 4 first and get the ladder, it will be harder to pull off, but I'll get some health upgrades earlier".

It's not a modern indie game, so it's slightly out of the intended scope of this thread, but if you never played Neutopia on TG16 (or even heard of it like a lot of people) you should check it out.

sUSg7Tj.jpg

It's a pretty good - if also pretty blatant - Zelda 1 clone. It was re-released on both Wii VC and PSN I believe.

Alx

Futuristic and violent sport game, so in short a new Deathrow (which was a new Speed Ball) :
deathrow-4e2620d54a851.jpg

With the success of Rocket League which is the closest thing right now (but not as big on team play, at least for regular players), and while Tron is still cool, I think it's a missed opportunity to forget about that game/genre.

Kael

Banned
I miss a crimison skies type game and the xbox had another fun game if anyone remembers. Freaky fliers. I haven't seen the arcade flight games around much.

Alric

Niice. I won't lie. To me the main benefit of threads like those is learning about the spiritual successors I didn't know about :)

Totally. The only reason I found out about Deadhold is because I visit the projectmagma site. They still patch, update, and put out new content for Myth 2 and I found it through there.

Phreaker

Phantom Dust :) Even before MS announced a reboot, I was/am shocked no one had lifted the idea of an arena fighter based on deck building for another game.

46-ih0Va7aZLz9eN.png
]

37-ibejcMNelRkkf8.png

pd-screenshot2.jpg

KKRT00

You mean slow?

I mean dark and climatic, more focused on smaller encounters, fighting in bottlenecks in more grid based system and with enemies You cant see. With resources being more scarce.
With loot being more predictable, yet still highly random then in newer games.
Also having linear dungeon progression mean that You can reach higher level content faster, but it comes with way higher risk.
Diablo 1 has different gameplay feeling, even after all those years.

And of course its slower than many other games, but its not slow.

Hyperbole

Banned
Cool idea for a thread, and some good suggestions for games to try out...

I had a few ideas come to mind first (River City Rampage, Herzog Zwei) but there actually have been games that fit those bills, to varying degrees. (Between Assault Android Cactus and whatever Eugene Jarvis are working on, I'm hoping my Smash TV itch is scratched too. And although I still crave Contra, there's no shortage of developers trying for side-scrolling shooters, it's just that perfect formula that cannot and I guess will not be replicated.)

I would suggest Rare's Blast Corps as one of those crazy early 3D experimentation games where the fun was just in messing around with weird vehicles and physics, but the backing game design kept it interesting. It's a concept philosophy we don't see enough of. Even indie games have a tendency to get too big in concept, sometimes you just need to build something and then see what creative concepts you can get out of it.

1379482362045503848.gif

Also, I will never understand why (even though I know why) The Guardian Legend by Compile was not able to define a whole new subgenre of SHMUP/RPG hybrids.
tgl1stboss.gif

tgllander.gif
Thank you for reminding me of blast corps. Why did we never get a sequel?

Raonak

Banned
Kula World.

I find it weird that no-one has really reinvented that awesome formular. Especially with VR in the horizon. Imagine large stunning levels you roll around on.

Monster Hunter would be pretty cool. I could have sworn Double Fine was working on one, but I guess that was one of those games in that thing they did that didn't make the cut.

Classic Thief and Looking Glass style games.

Someday I'm gonna get a team together to make one, I have a whole design document and everything as well as some rudimentary levels and models.
If you're talking immersive sims, look up Consortium: The Tower. It's the most apt blurb I've seen is Deus Ex x Die Hard

I'm surprised no ones done a Tony Hawk style game yet (that I'm aware of).
There was a Skate-style game in the works but it was put on hold unfortunately

kiuo

Maybe the fighting system of xenogears for an RPG. At least I've never seen anything else quite like it. Having combos with the X,O,[],∆ was pretty interesting. It progressed with you as you get stronger being able to do more combos that connected to special atks.

Then the smooth transition in using these combos with the robots was pretty awesome.

PLPx6By.jpg

An RTS with a campaign. There are a few indie RTSs out there, but none of them really have a robust, story-driven campaign. I'm saddened when I think Starcraft II (which had a stupid story but an awesome and lengthy campaign nonetheless) may be the last of its breed.

deleted

All Zelda multiplayer games (Four Swords, Triforce Heroes) are pretty much the descendants of Goof Troop.

I disagree - sure it plays the same way like Goof Troop in a way that Goof Troop plays like ALTTP, but it's far from the same design formula. In Goof Troop enemies were part of the puzzle, in Zelda, they feel more like part of the world. It's much more action oriented than Goof Troop. At least if they all play like 4 Swords Adventures on the GCN and didn't change design radically.

Looks cool, I'll look into that.

jdstorm

Banned
I don't know if this is related to this thread's subject but since I still can't make threads I'll ask this here.

Really sorry if I'm hijacking this.

But has the Snake formula gone anywhere beyond the Nokia phone games?

Yesterday I had this idea for a new Snake game that took the formula and added an actual world and characters to it and even a mode with linear levels that would play in a scrolling 2D fashion with power ups, enemies and maybe even light RPG elements like stats, leveling up and quests.

I can see it now. dead or alive extreme beach volleyball, Konga mini game

KonradLaw

An RTS with a campaign. There are a few indie RTSs out there, but none of them really have a robust, story-driven campaign. I'm saddened when I think Starcraft II (which had a stupid story but an awesome and lengthy campaign nonetheless) may be the last of its breed.

Grey Goo has really nice campaigns. I've heard Homeworld: DoK SP mode is very good too.

Shame Act of Agression didn't have awesome campaign the way Act of War did :(

CamHostage

Top of my list: I will never understand why (even though I know why) The Guardian Legend by Compile was not able to define a whole new subgenre of SHMUP/RPG hybrids.
GuardianLegend-LabyrinthExample.png

GuardianLegend-ShooterExample.png.gif

(*Sorry for the repost, screwed up the images last time)

Lork

I mean dark and climatic, more focused on smaller encounters, fighting in bottlenecks in more grid based system and with enemies You cant see. With resources being more scarce.
With loot being more predictable, yet still highly random then in newer games.
Also having linear dungeon progression mean that You can reach higher level content faster, but it comes with way higher risk.
Diablo 1 has different gameplay feeling, even after all those years.

And of course its slower than many other games, but its not slow.
Torchlight is basically an indie remake of Diablo 1 by some of the original developers. Whether it replicates every idiosyncratic detail of the original in a way that is to your satisfaction is another story, however.

Burt

Came in to this thread for two things, both of which have thankfully been addressed.

First, Secrets of Grindea is the best Secret of Mana game since Seiken Densetsu 3. I'm not in love with the art style really, but overall there isn't much more I could ask for in terms of gameplay and expansion upon the formula in an actual SoM sequel.

Two

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

or

Dragon Force

This is the other thing I was looking for

and

I sort of got you

Still tightening things up

... and I know right now I'm totally gonna regret posting that in this thread at 1am on a Saturday

Came in to this thread for two things, both of which have thankfully been addressed.

First, Secrets of Grindea is the best Secret of Mana game since Seiken Densetsu 3. I'm not in love with the art style really, but overall there isn't much more I could ask for in terms of gameplay and expansion upon the formula in an actual SoM sequel.

I started playing Grindea's demo yesterday and was instantly put off by the fact that, like apparently every single SoM clone attempt, you take enemy contact damage. The entire thing that made SoM different than Zelda is that enemies had to actually attack you to damage you, and you could even physically push them out of the way between attacks. I don't understand how they keep messing up something so utterly basic. :/

This is the other thing I was looking for

and

I sort of got you

Still tightening things up

"Video is private", perhaps because I'm in Spain?

Burt

I started playing Grindea's demo yesterday and was instantly put off by the fact that, like apparently every single SoM clone attempt, you take enemy contact damage. The entire thing that made SoM different than Zelda is that enemies had to actually attack you to damage you, and you could even physically push them out of the way between attacks. I don't understand how they keep messing up something so utterly basic. :/

"Video is private", perhaps because I'm in Spain?

Whoops, meant to go unlisted. Knew I shouldn't have posted it that late. Anyway, should work now.

And yeah, I guess you're right about that, but it never really phased me. I think the combat overall feels really good from the movement to attacking to skills. See where you're coming from though.

Whoops, meant to go unlisted. Knew I shouldn't have posted it that late. Anyway, should work now.

Wow, is this your game? It looks really impressive!

And yeah, I guess you're right about that, but it never really phased me. I think the combat overall feels really good from the movement to attacking to skills. See where you're coming from though.

I played a bit more with the missus today (completed the story demo) and we actually liked it quite a bit. About the only thing I don't like aside from the aforementioned contact damage is the backgrounds used for the floor level when you're up high. They would already look artistically inferior to the rest of the game even without the ugly, out-of-place defocus effect.

GunBR

Valkyria Chronicles SRPG formula.

Grid-based/RNG is overrated. Can we get some more love for Action-Strategy peeps? Because even Sega is forsaking classic VC as far as we can tell, with the only love being rereleases of the first game.
Yes
Valkyria Chronicles has one of the best battle system of any RPG (JRPG, SRPG, WRPG, any RPG)
I had a blast playing VC 2 even with the terrible characters and boring story, only because the battle system was soooo good.

It's sad that there's no other game (that I know) that use this system or something similar

Grandia 2, complete with the way overworld enemies were engaged to influence the initial layout for combat and the entire battle system that took physical space and time into account while still being turn based.

Maybe I've missed it but... I'm kinda surprised nobody has attempted to fill in the void Atlus left with their own take on Trauma Center's "action puzzley arcadey" surgery. It's even a series that was born of touch controls.

The Amateur Surgeon games by Adult Swim (on mobile with touch screen) are basically copies of the Trauma Center games but with a different aesthetic.

CHC

I think some others have had similar thoughts, but I'm still surprised no one has really copied these:

Tomb Raider (pre-2013):

Q3GFCOl.gif

Super isolated feeling dungeons with deadly traps and challenges everywhere. "Realistic" platformers, in other words, but with light action / shooting elements as well. Really a great formula that hasn't been touched or talked about in years. I mean sure, you've got stuff like Uncharted, but that's like comparing RE4 to RE1 - the tone is totally different.

Thief I & II:

In some ways similar to the old Tomb Raider games. A very hostile and isolated feeling to many of the levels, serious focus on stealth, and GREAT level design full of variety and surprises. Other than Dishonored I am hard pressed to think of any other games that openly take inspiration from these games, whereas contemporaries like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are still referenced all the time today.

LPride

Banned
Tactical Intervention is a pretty bad CS clone with a shitty f2p model and tons of hacking russian teens shouting into thier mics... ... ...

But why hasnt any other game done car chases like this? The car chase maps in this game are so bad ass. Why hasn't this been copied yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/51100/

ss_96f63209b32539ccd1b556c6f482d86f2338fc84.600x338.jpg

Burt

Wow, is this your game? It looks really impressive!

I played a bit more with the missus today (completed the story demo) and we actually liked it quite a bit. About the only thing I don't like aside from the aforementioned contact damage is the backgrounds used for the floor level when you're up high. They would already look artistically inferior to the rest of the game even without the ugly, out-of-place defocus effect.

Yeah, thanks!

I haven't actually played through Grindea recently enough to remember the backgrounds because I want to hold out for the real thing, but I can imagine something like the backgrounds sticking out. Hopefully they'll get a nice boost before full release.

lol the way the buliding crumbled in the trailer reminded me of bad compney 2 , speaking of there hasnt been any games that have been remade for online play indie devs or other wise that do terrain deformation and destruction the same way bad compney dos i take it ?

Command & Conquer, Total Annihilation and Starcraft/Warcraft style RTS. No RPG, level bullshit.

Really, why this genre is overlooked so badly by indies? I would buy day one a real 2D RTS true to it's roots.

2133626.png

Back in the day where proper heuristics and planning managements is at the forefront of the gaming experience. Fucking XP progression systems are destroying any sense of player agency in the modern gaming era.

KRaZyAmmo

Back in the day where proper heuristics and planning managements is at the forefront of the gaming experience. Fucking XP progression systems are destroying any sense of player agency in the modern gaming era.

I still play C&C Generals now again. I miss that player urgency of properly planning your base and units out. I need RTS again =(

Shirke

Valkyria Chronicles SRPG formula.

Grid-based/RNG is overrated. Can we get some more love for Action-Strategy peeps? Because even Sega is forsaking classic VC as far as we can tell, with the only love being rereleases of the first game.

There's an upcoming game called Dual Gear that' currently in indiegogo that might be similar to what your looking for, it's like a cross between Front Mission and Valkyrie Chronicles, where it has the same basic VC battle system with the mechs and customisability of FM.

Here's a video of a guy playing the pre-alpha build available on steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18yPcaZVqY&feature=youtu.be

And other relevant links if you're interested.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dual-gear-mecha-turn-based-x-action-game#/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/443000

Top Bottom