• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most anticipated movie of 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

maxresdefault.jpg

Xe4

Banned
Blade Runner 2049.
Shit gonna be so hype.

The Red Turtle
I don't even care about the story or anything, I just want to look at it.

The Breadwinner
Cartoon Saloon hasn't let me down so far, and I'm super excited to see what else they have up their sleeve.

John Wick 2
The first one was awesome, I hope the second is as good.

Dunkirk
Cause I love me some Nolan

Star Wars ep VIII.
Cause I love me some Rian Johnson.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Edgar Wright's has a new film in post-production called "Baby Driver". It revolves around a mute getaway driver who uses the beat of music to aid his driving skills. Ansel Elgort is the titular driver, but there's also Kevin Spacey as the big bad crime boss, Lily James(Cinderella) is the love interest, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx, its a really fun and diverse cast. Bill Pope who did some fantastic work on Wright's Scott Pilgrim and the World's End is back on cinematography, as well as Paul Machliss who did all the inventive editing on those film with Edgar. Wright's 4 for 4 on great movies, he's got such a unique and charismatic voice for genre storytelling that any new film of his jumps right to #1 on my anticipated list.

Other films that come to mind include "Widows" by Steve McQueen(12 Years a Slave), in which four widows of career bank robbers team up to finish the heist job their husbands died on. Its a more commercial sounding prospect for the artist McQueen, but that actually intrigues me more, like how is he adapting his compositions and cinematic eye to a heist drama. Almost as exciting is a new heist film by the "retired" Steven Soderbergh called "Logan Lucky", in which two brothers attempt a heist that takes place during a NASCAR event. Soderbergh almost has another Ocean's Eleven with the cast he's brought along, Tatum, Daniel Craig, Adam Driver, Riley Keough from Fury Road, Sebastian "bucky" Stan, and Hilary Swank coming out of obscurity. Then of course there's Star Wars: Episode 8, if Rian Johnson cant make a great modern Star Wars then nobody can.

Some others...

-John Wick 2, like why the fuck would you mess with this nigga after the first movie? They bout to get shot
-War of the Planet of the Apes, the next movie in the best modern rebooted blockbuster franchise
-Valerian, a Euro comic sci-fi adventure from The Fifth Element director Luc Besson
-Coco, the next original Pixar film happening around the Day of the Dead
-How to Talk to Girls at Parties, a Neil Gaiman adaptation from the great John Cameron Mitchell, if for nothing else then Nicole Kidman in those crazy Sandy Powell outfits
-A new Darren Aronofsky domestic drama with a great cast including Domhnall Gleeson, Javier Bardem, Michaelle Pfeiffer, and Ed Harris(also J law)
-Paul Thomas Anderson is re-teaming with Daniel Day Lewis for a drama set in the fashion world of the 1950s
-Short Term 12 director Destin Cretton is re-teaming with Brie Larson(along with Naomi Watts and Woddy Harrelson) in an adaptaion of the Glass Castle
-Todd Haynes is coming off the great "Carol" with an adaptation of "Wonderstruck", re-teaming with Julianne Moore along with Michelle Williams. The book has two halves, and the half with the deaf girl is actually gonna be shot like a silent film with deaf actress Millicent Simmonds, so I'm all over that.
-Katheryn Bigelow finally has a new film about the Detroit riots of 1967, reteaming with "Zero Dark Thirty" writer Mark Boal. My boys John Boyega and Jack Reynor in this one, along with lots of other people like Anthony Mackie and Jason Mitchell from Straight Outta Compton.
-Steven Spielberg continues his love affairs with Mark Rylance with a new drama, "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara". Another Star Wars alum Oscar Isaac is here, along with Munich/Lincoln screen writer Tony Kushner.
-John Woo is finally making another action movie in the style that brought him to film, called "Manhunt". There's gon be doves, guns, and oh so much cheesy melodramatic goodness. And probably slow motion.
-Alfonso Cuaron(Gravity, Children of Men) returns to Mexico where he wrote/directed, IMO, his greatest film Y Tu Mamá También. All I know is its set in 1970s Mexico City, chronicling the live of a middle class family. I'm sure Emmanuel Lubezki will be back, too.
-Tomas Alfredson follows up his great Tinker Tailor, Soldier Spy adapation with another British crime drama called The Snowman. "Detective Harry Hole (Michael Fassbender) investigates the disappearance of a woman whose pink scarf is found wrapped around an ominous-looking snowman." I mean, sure! J.K. Simmons, Val Kilmer, and Rebecca Ferguson from Rogue Nation also star.

and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting, rip

Well, I'm hyped now.

Episode VIII hype

Really interested in how this will end up
If a twist happens I'll go D:

My dumb idea 😎
Rey will not be able to control her new powers and snook will abandon emo Kylo and convert Rey so Luke X a punished Kylo have to save Rey. I just hope if they kill Luke they wait until the last movie but he shouldn't die, Luke the god can't die

2017 has shitloads of movies I am excited about:

John Wick: Chapter 2
The Dark Tower
The Lego Batman Movie
Logan
Kong: Skull Island
Baby Driver
Ghost in the Shell (cautiously optimistic)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (looks bad, but I hope I am wrong)
Wonder Woman
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
The Mummy (mostly because of Tom Cruise)
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Dunkirk
War for the Planet of the Apes
Alien: Covenant
It
Granite Mountain
Blade Runner 2049
Thor: Ragnarok
Coco
Justice League
Star Wars: Episode VIII

Blade Runner 2049
Live By Night
Episode VIII
Justice League (More of a desperate desire for it to be good, than an active "anticipation")
Wonder Woman (See above)
Dunkirk
GotG 2
Spider-Man
Kong: Skull Island
LEGO BATMAN
Baby Driver
Coco
Logan
Beauty and the Beast
Alien Covenant

Of course, I'm sure there will be a ton of great independent and art house films out next fall that I'm not yet aware of.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Star Wars and Spiderman.

Speaking as a huge Alien fan, I have no idea how people can get themselves so excited for Covenant considering how woefully inept Prometheus was.

1. Star Wars 8
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Spider-Man: Homecoming

You're more excited for Thor 3 than SPIDERMAN, George? Explain yourself!

BumRush

There are so many to get excited about, but for me I think it's Alien Covenant as well. I actually enjoyed Prometheus (more on second+ viewings as it was a bit of a letdown at first), and have faith that it will return more to the original visions of the series.

jett

D-Member
Blade Runner 2049
The only thing dampening my enthusiasm is Harrison Ford's involvement. Both from a "lore" perspective (it makes no sense) and from the fact that Ford is awful.

I hope this trilogy ends with a bang.

rotpb517

So many exciting films it's hard to choose, but I know where my allegiances lie. Spider-Man, Alien, and Star Wars. My inner child won't chill.

Just found out through this thread about three billboards outside ebbing missouri by Martin McDonagh(In Bruges, 7 Psychopaths) so thats hype, and I forgot about Alex Garland's new film Annihilation, with my girls Gina Rodriguez and Tessa Thompson. Very self-consciously influenced from Tarkovsky's Stalker.

screen-shot-2016-07-07-at-1-48-51-pm.png

annihilation-set-photos-700x300.png

so hey, there's some hopefully dope stuff that even I dont know about coming!

In no particular order:

The Dark Tower
Wolverine 3
Ghost in the Shell
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Wonder Woman
Kingsmen: The Golden Circle
Spiderman Homecoming
War of the Planet of the Apes
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Alien Covenant
IT
Blade Runner 2049
Creed 2
Thor Ragnarok

The Lego Batman Movie
Dunkirk
Any Marvel movie (though I'm on a definite lock for Guardians Vol. 2)
Fast 8
Pixar's Coco
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Paddington 2
Star Wars: Episode VIII

Among others, I guess.

Gotta echo that 2017 seems to be one heck of a stacked year for films.

Rise was the first of the reboot and Dawn was the sequel.

B.K.

Star Wars Episode VIII. After The Force Awakens, there's nowhere to go but up. I just hope Episode VIII isn't a remake of Empire Strikes Back.

Just found out through this thread about three billboards outside ebbing missouri by Martin McDonagh(In Bruges, 7 Psychopaths) so thats hype, and I forgot about Alex Garland's new film Annihilation, with my girls Gina Rodriguez and Tessa Thompson. Very self-consciously influenced from Tarkovsky's Stalker.

screen-shot-2016-07-07-at-1-48-51-pm.png

annihilation-set-photos-700x300.png

so hey, there's some hopefully dope stuff that even I dont know about coming!

:O

Hype for more Alex Garland.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Happy End yet, the new Michael Haneke drama set in the context of the English Channel refugee crisis in Calais, starring Isabelle Huppert and Jean-Louis Tritignant. That's a recipe for something, for sure.

Also The Killing of a Sacred Deer, from Yorgos Lanthimos, who made The Lobster and Dogtooth. With Colin Farrell, again, and Nicole Kidman, who's also gonna be in Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled remake and the adaptation of How to Talk to Girls at Parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom