• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most anticipated movie of 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decado

There are a lot. Many will depend whether they target an R or PG-13 rating, like Alien.

Still, a lot more promise for 2017 than 2016, for my taste.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
cfc228_wwaarvi4.jpg

Dunkirk, SW and Spiderman are good hype as well

big ander

Thread has me combing through what's coming up when there are so many movies still to come this year heh. Others I'll be looking for:
-Del Toro's The Shape of Water—Michael Shannon as a mute janitor helping an amphibious monster played by Doug Jones out of a Cold War lab.
-Harmony Korine's The Trap
-The Nightingale, Babadook director Jennifer Kent's revenge drama
-Andrew Garfield alongside Dakota Johnson (who is awesome and unfairly disliked for 50 Shades) in a Los Angeles noir from It Follows director David Robert Mitchell
-Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled remake starring Kidman, Dunst, Elle Fanning, and Angourie Rice from The Nice Guys
Other films that come to mind include "Widows" by Steve McQueen(12 Years a Slave), in which four widows of career bank robbers team up to finish the heist job their husbands died on. Its a more commercial sounding prospect for the artist McQueen, but that actually intrigues me more, like how is he adapting his compositions and cinematic eye to a heist drama.

wow, how did I not know about this. Gillian Flynn script, so McQueen could definitely make something pulpy but awesome like Gone Girl.
Bless up

Runner ups:
Blade Runner 2099
New PTA movie
Dunkirk
Weightless
Star Wars
Justice League
Guardians 2

Oh shit and basically everything in JCs list that I missed

Da gawd soderberh coming back too? Damn
I almost said Weightless but I don't want to jinx it lol.
Aside from the obvious choices - Episode VIII, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, Baby Driver, Spider-Man, new PTA/DDL -- my secret dark horse candidate is Alex Garland's Annihilation. Ex Machina caught me way the hell off guard last year; I loved it, and the cast for his next movie is dope af. Really looking forward to how it turns out.
I hadn't looked at the cast for this—Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tessa Thompson, Oscar Issac. Even if I didn't adore Ex Machina I am down for that
Probably Three Billboards.
Was just reading about this, love the full title—Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Seven Psychopaths wasn't as good as I hoped but the McDonaghs are always doing fun stuff

In for anything with Michael Shannon honestly. Hopefully this breaks del Toros meh English film curse.

And McDonough is 2 for 2 for me so far. Pity there's no sam Rockwell or Colin Farrell in it

GamerJM

Banned
Probably Guardians 2 I suppose. Idk I don't really get hyped for movies this far in advance. I'm more focused on stuff still coming out this year, like Doctor Strange and Silence.

I stan for MCU and Star Wars all day every day, so Guardians 2, Spider-Man, Thor, and Episode VIII for sure. Also Logan.

Other than that, I'm approaching Blade Runner and Alien with caution. Two of my favorite films of all time getting sequels that I'm not convinced will be good, but I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Alex Garland is maybe my favorite up and coming name in sci-fi, so I'm really interested in Annihilation too.

Edit: Wait Martin McDonagh is doing something? Why didn't I hear of this? Well, that too then.

Finaika

Old Man Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2
Wonder Woman
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League

kswiston

In for anything with Michael Shannon honestly. Hopefully this breaks del Toros meh English film curse.

And McDonough is 2 for 2 for me so far. Pity there's no sam Rockwell or Colin Farrell in it

I didn't realize that he had another movie out in 2017. In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths were great.

FTF

Star Wars Ep VIII
Dunkirk
PTA movie
Aronofsky movie
Logan
Kong: Skull Island
GOTG2
War for the Planet of the Apes
Alien: Covenant
Blade Runner 2049

Edit: lol totally forgot about Justice League...but after BvS, can't blame myself :/

Star Wars
Dunkirk
John Wick 2
Alien:Covenant
Kingsmen: The Golden Circle
Guardians Vol. 2.
Fast and the Furious 8
T2: Trainspotting

Monocle

Star Wars: Episode Viii. TFA was better than I imagined, can't wait to see what Disney has in store for this title.

Runner up: Beauty and the Beast. My favorite disney animation. Hoping for the same greatness that was the jungle book.
This, no doubt. Fuck the ridiculous TFA backlash. It's wonderful and I'm beyond hyped to see where all of the characters go in the next entry.

Also, I didn't even realize a live action Beauty and the Beast adaptation was happening until I saw a teaser today. (Or if I knew at one point, I totally forgot.) Looks great.

Regiruler

Dark Side of Dimensions by a fair margin.

I think it comes into theaters right as I head back to school though, and it's a limited run.

inm8num2

Dunkirk
Blade Runner 2049
Alien: Covenant
Force Awakens 2: Kanjiklub Boogaloo
John Wick 2

a bunch of superhero movies

and some movies from top-notch directors I can't remember or am too lazy to look up

Loxley

In no particular order:

- Logan
- John Wick: Chapter 2
- Dunkirk
- Wonder Woman
- Justice League (but barely, at this point)
- Ep. 8
- Spider-Man: Homecoming

cyba89

The Dark Tower
Star Wars EP VIII
Dunkirk
War Of The Planets Of The Apes
Coco (Pixar)
T2: Trainspotting 2

Blockbuster cinema in 2017 will easily be better than whatever 2016 was.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Annihilation
Blade Runner 2049
Coco
The Coldest City
Dunkirk
John Wick: Chapter 2
Okja
The Shape of Water
The Snowman

Other stuff that I can't think of because they're not yet dated.

Mumei

I don't exactly have a list in my head, but offhand War for the Planet of the Apes is something I am anticipating in the hopes that it lives up to both the first and especially the second film.

Platy

Next time GAF complains about holywood originality I shall remember this thread and laugh

Thor : Ragnarok
The Lego Batman Movie
Baby Driver
Wonder Woman
The Shape of Water

and yes, I am part of the problem too xD

Laieon

Definitely Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spiderman. Too many good blockbusters next year. I haven't paid attention to what's coming out next year, so I'm not sure what I'll watch on the indie/foreign/notblockbuster front.

You know how Mad Max: Fury Road was the best movie of 2015

I'm still baffled at the reception this got. I've tried watching it multiple times now, it does absolutely nothing for me. Saw it with 4 friends, they felt the same way. One even fell asleep.

My favorite movie of 2016 so far is The Wailing, my favorite in 2015 was the Revenant, and my favorite in 2014 was Gone Girl. Maybe I just have different tastes...

kurahador

MCU movies
Alien: Covenant - I had good times watching Prometheus in cinema due to the visuals.
Murder on the Orient Express

Decado

We know for sure alien and logan (wolverine 3) are r rated
Alien will be? It is confirmed? Source?

I heard about Logan and that is why I am excited for it...just not sold on the director. The extended cut of The Wolverine had its moments but it was still a long way off.

Edit: googled. Was a while ago. Hope it stays true.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Star Wars, followed very closely by John Wick and Alien.

SW is an obvious choice for me, and I loved Prometheus. John Wick is IMO the best straight-up action film since Die Hard so I can't wait for the sequel.

You know how Mad Max: Fury Road was the best movie of 2015, and Captain America: Civil War was the best movie of 2016? I wonder which film will claim that top spot in 2017.

It's probably between Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Alien: Covenant, Wolverine 3, Spider-man, Kingsman, Wonder Woman, Thor 3, or Star Wars Episode VIII. Hopefully Episode VIII will wash the bad taste of Rogue One out of all our mouths.

Either way, wow! 2017 is looking stacked for quality films.

cqpYR2l.gif

WTF?

Is this post really so indicative of the limit of your vision?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just googled 2017 movies and theres like 15 of them I wanna watch (assuming none get moved to 2018)

Dunkirk, Star Wars, Alien:Covenant, Spiderman.

I have an unlimited movie pass at my cinema though so I just watch pretty much everything that looks even slightly interesting. Saw a lot movies I wouldn't have checked out otherwise, like The Wailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom