• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (JP)

Ogni-XR21

I'm waiting for the US/EU release. Even though I would probably manage to play it in Japanese I really want to be able to read everything.

So after all these EGM rumors a few years ago about PSO on DS were true.

Ogni-XR21 said:
I'm waiting for the US/EU release. Even though I would probably manage to play it in Japanese I really want to be able to read everything.

So after all these EGM rumors a few years ago about PSO on DS were true.

I am tempted to buy a ds just for this game when that timeframe comes

Why isn't GAF playing this? This game is awesome if you're a fan of PSO. Reached Level 60 today and also managed to beat the Eternal Tower on Normal. I want to slap whatever jerkoff came with the Eternal Tower quest - one of the most boring quests in the history of PSO, most likely.

Cmagus

Just started playing my copy and I love this game.The visuals are amazing for the DS that was probably the first things I saw and was impressed with.Combat as usual is good after coming off PSO and Universe there was definitely no problem getting the hang right away.

The audio is excellent as well the game has a very nice soundtrack im really liking the music.granted I am only level 9 right now Im really looking forward to getting further in and the further I do the more impressed I become.

kiryogi

Banned
Finally made it to "that" last boss. Epic as always. Actually, I'm currently seeing the gameover screen serveral times while also pissing my mag off. I must say though, this is the best party AI the PSonline series has seen. Sakai working on both of the portable entries has been a great thing. He's been advancing the franchise, no thanks to Miyoshi.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I ordered PS Zero almost a week ago from play asia and it still hasnt shipped. I wonder if its sold out? I would have pre-ordered but I didnt even know this game was coming out. Hopefully you all will still be playing when I get my copy. Is it possible to play with strangers or do you need friend codes?

kiryogi

Banned
You can play with strangers, but you can't chat with them, only premade phrases.

Xfactor: I fought it @ 25... and lost several times. At least 20? My kill count shows that I've killed Mother Trinity at least 14 times. :lol Although, I probably could have been able to do it @ 25 if I had enough scapes. The first two times I couldn't figure out her patterns so it was a lot of painful trial and error. I'm 31 now, I'm a bit sad that I couldn't pull it off at a lower level. But I know it's possible. :D

kiryogi

Banned
Final defeated! Of course you know "who" it is! I feel a bit bad though. I ended up cheesing him out. My friend gave me this sword that has a photon art called "Overend" on it. It's like something out of a giant robot show. You channel a huge energy saber out of your sword and and do a devastating smashing slash with it.

Jammy

Banned
This game was just confirmed for a North American release. I say that because it's the cover story of the new Nintendo Power.

linsivvi

Jammy said:
This game was just confirmed for a North American release. I say that because it's the cover story of the new Nintendo Power.

What's the release date? I hope it's not too close to the PSP one, since I want to play both but not at the same time...

Also, some new promo weapons were just released today via Weekly Famitsu:

Famitsu - 5397-8287 (It's an issue of Famitsu Magazine!)
Selveria's Shield - 9425-3366 (From Valkyria Chronicles)
Power Beam - 6337-6325 (From Metroid)
Dokan Bazooka aka Warp Pipe - 4624-5828 (From Mario Bros.)
Cadeceus' Wand - 8741-4615 (I don't know where it's from, but this is the same item that was released at the Phantasy Star Zero launch party on December 25th.)

Ogni-XR21

Mockingbird said:
Also, some new promo weapons were just released today via Weekly Famitsu:

Famitsu - 5397-8287 (It's an issue of Famitsu Magazine!)
Selveria's Shield - 9425-3366 (From Valkyria Chronicles)
Power Beam - 6337-6325 (From Metroid)
Dokan Bazooka aka Warp Pipe - 4624-5828 (From Mario Bros.)
Cadeceus' Wand - 8741-4615 (I don't know where it's from, but this is the same item that was released at the Phantasy Star Zero launch party on December 25th.)

Maybe it's the old PSO weapon.

BB-CADUCEUS-ACTION-1.jpg

From PR:

Phantasy Star Ø Announced For Europe and US Release

An All-New Phantasy Star Adventure Begins on The Nintendo DS

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (January 9, 2009) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. And SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that Phantasy Star™ Ø (pronounced “zero”), the brand new Phantasy Star RPG adventure, will be coming to Europe and North America. Phantasy Star Ø is one of the most highly anticipated DS titles coming out in 2009, and will feature an innovative touch screen based Visual Chat interface, addictive action-RPG gameplay, impressive visual quality and thrilling multiplayer modes.

“The Phantasy Star series has enjoyed great success because of its intuitive gameplay, unique style and engaging online multiplayer modes, we are therefore very excited to premiere the first Phantasy Star game on the Nintendo DS™,” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director for SEGA Europe. “With the advanced features of the Nintendo DS, Phantasy Star Ø will thrill fans of the series but will also appeal to a new generation of gamers.”

Phantasy Star Ø takes place on an alternate Earth 200 years after the “Great Blank,” a massive war that has reduced the once-prosperous civilization to almost nothing. The surviving Humans have worked hard to exist peacefully and have rebuilt thriving cities. Those that adventure past the outskirts of these cities, Hunters, explore the vast wilderness and hunt dangerous monsters in an effort to keep their cities safe. Players will take up the role of the Hunters and select from three types of races, classes and gender for a total of 14 customisable character types. Each character type will provide a unique experience and give players access to a great range of items, armour and weapons.

Featuring over 350 unique weapons, gamers will need to venture out to combat dangerous monsters, gain experience and meet new major characters. As players explore, they will unravel the mystery of the “Great Blank” and discover a dangerous new force that must be stopped.

Featuring both wireless and full Wi-Fi multiplayer options, Phantasy Star Ø takes advantage of the touch screen capabilities of the Nintendo DS and the new Visual Chat feature. Gamers can now design their own Visual Chat commands that can be used in multiplayer modes. These Visual Chat commands will be displayed as “text bubbles” above the user’s character, enabling easy and fun communication when adventuring with friends.

Phantasy Star™ Ø will be released in Winter 2009 exclusively for the Nintendo DS, more details will be revealed in the coming months.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
why so long? damn

i hope they keep all the cameo weapons in the US release

the leek and the famitsu issue will obviously be cut, but i hope the keep the mario pipe, samus canon, Valkyria Chronicles weapons, etc.

zurra

i still have no idea where to enter the promo codes from within the game. am i not far enough? i haven't touched it for a while.

CTLance

zurra: I think there's a computer in the sewers or something...

Man, WINTER 2009? Ouch. :( This is gonna be a loooong wait.

zurra

ok, i have no idea what this sewers place is, so i must not be far enough. i'm only at the missions on the snow maps.

Emotions

Huh.... that is a long time Winter 2009? can't even imagine when 7th Dragon and Culdcept DS will be released then. I guess 2010 :lol ...
Unless Atlus picks up them. Anyways there will probably be a lot of stuff announced for DS localizations in the meantime, specially from Atlus, Aksys and XSeed. Can't wait for this Phantasy Star 0 i love the style of it.

This seems to be a recent SEGA of America trend. Last month they announced World Destruction (now Sands of Destruction) for fall 2009. I twittered them about why the gap was so long and the response was "we always announce games a year or so before release". Uhhh, it's already been developed and released. You're just localizing it.

Birbo

Shirokun said:
I'm sure they mean the in next couple of months rather than year's end. It's winter right now(in the northern hemisphere, anyway) you know.

I'm hoping this is the case, but the "more details will be revealed in the coming months" concerns me.

Shirokun

Birbo said:
I'm hoping this is the case, but the "more details will be revealed in the coming months" concerns me.

I missed that. It seems ridiculous that a game like this would take so long to be localized. Didn't PSO come out in all regions around the same time?

Ogni-XR21

This is pathetic... end of this year is way too late. Why even bother with a cover story if the release is almost a year away.

As always Sega thinks they can have more sales if they go for a holiday release and in the end it will end up bombing because there will be dozens of other games that overshadow the release.

Really tempted to import the JP version now, I'm so torn atm. Don't know why, but this somehow killed the hype I had for this game.

the-iek

the german press release said "beginning of 2009" at first, but i received an update just a few hours ago with a correction to winter, meaning end of 2009.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
what worries me about them taking so long to localize it is that they'll make a lot of changes to it from the JP version... and idk if they'll be good changes or not.

kiryogi

Banned
zurra said:
ok, i have no idea what this sewers place is, so i must not be far enough. i'm only at the missions on the snow maps.

You can access the sewers area after completing the 4th story mission I think.

And yes, join us. Import!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is the game worth it if I were to spend 90% of the time (or even 100% of it) playing it in 2 players co-op mode via local wi-fi?
I mean, not touching the online part and not having anyone besides me and another guy on the battlefield, how's the game?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, I guess I'm the only one anticipating this game.
Is the JP crew even playing anymore? Thread's dead already and the game has been out only for a month.

callous

Yeah I still play, but this game is no PSO. It has an incredible amount of annoying flaws and the PSO magic is just not there. I have about 60 people on my friend list and I see maybe 3 of them play regularly.

It prompted me to take up Blue Burst again though!

Oh, your question. Yes, absolutely. There's nothing you're missing out on by not going online, really.

Level 95 with over 130 hours in. I'm already bored of the game, but I want to finish all the missions and reach level 100. This game isn't as great without chatting.

Hotsuma

I didn't find the game to be great at all. I liked PSO Episode 1 and 2 and PS Portable, but PSO is busted do to you not being able to move when you're in your weapons/item select screen. If you run out of mates on your hotkey and need to swap out, you are screwed in a boss fight (single player).

Yes, I can see they tried to make Zero have more in common with PSO than PSU, but the setting still falls way short. The characters looks like they belong in the Lunar games not Phantasy Star Online. Also, what is Zero the beginning chapter of ,Phantasy Star Online or Phantasy Star main series? If this is a before PSO type of deal, shouldn't it take place on Coral or whatever the planet was that the people fled to Ragol from?

I'm happy that they went with a more PSO-ish type of sound for the game because PSU's is beyond boring, but I think Zero would've been better off as a Wii game.

Hotsuma said:
If this is a before PSO type of deal, shouldn't it take place on Coral or whatever the planet was that the people fled to Ragol from?
If you do certain quests, you find out that the game does takes place on Coral.

Hotsuma

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
If you do certain quests, you find out that the game does takes place on Coral.

Really? That's cool. I hope they choose to up port this to another system at some point so I can find out in detail what happened to that planet. Thanks for that information.

BTW, what mission is that?

Mockingbird said:
Level 95 with over 130 hours in. I'm already bored of the game, but I want to finish all the missions and reach level 100. This game isn't as great without chatting.

This game truly needs the online setup the PSO games had, i.e. lobbies, guild cards, et cetera. I fucking hate friend codes and only being able to effectively communicate with friends is bullshit.

Teknoman

Hotsuma said:
I didn't find the game to be great at all. I liked PSO Episode 1 and 2 and PS Portable, but PSO is busted do to you not being able to move when you're in your weapons/item select screen. If you run out of mates on your hotkey and need to swap out, you are screwed in a boss fight (single player).

Yes, I can see they tried to make Zero have more in common with PSO than PSU, but the setting still falls way short. The characters looks like they belong in the Lunar games not Phantasy Star Online. Also, what is Zero the beginning chapter of ,Phantasy Star Online or Phantasy Star main series? If this is a before PSO type of deal, shouldn't it take place on Coral or whatever the planet was that the people fled to Ragol from?

I'm happy that they went with a more PSO-ish type of sound for the game because PSU's is beyond boring, but I think Zero would've been better off as a Wii game.

Isnt PSP just a portable version of Universe for the most part?

A shame we have to wait untill winter, still I can save up those spare pennies for a DSi still.

I really want to play this every time I see this thread or anything related >_<

Top Bottom