• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Feb. 1 - 7, 2010

cvxfreak

onken said:
Well unless we know the proportion that the "smartphone" market makes up, that doesn't really tell us anything. All I can say is I see very few people using them (though my brother-in-law has one). This was the complete reverse of how it transpired in the UK, where it was also (originally) locked to one provider with an extortionate contract, but still EVERYONE had one.

Now that the iPhone isn't nearly free, I'd love to see how it still does.

krea

Banned
ram said:
funny how star ocean 4 bombed - in the end, square enix got the bill for their failure.

mh.

I think, the 360 exclusive deals was a big failure and damaged many important game series.

confuziz

Banned
are these accurate first day numbers?

Quiz Magic Academy DS ~Futatsu no Jikuuseki~ (DS) - 24k (32%)

Sacred 2 (PS3) - 19k (83%)

Zangeki no Reginleiv (Wii) - 17k (52%)

Tennis no Oujisama ~More Sweet Edition~ (DS) - 16k (65%)

Sacred 2 (360) - 15k (87%)

Dragon Ball DS 2 (DS) - 11k (17%)

Lupin the 3rd: Shijou Saidai no Tounousen (DS) - 7k (40%)

SOCOM Portable (PSP) - 5k (36%)

Madworld (Wii) - 5k (25%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1264842963/904

They look plausible. A first week of 25k or so for Zangeki (quite likely on those first day numbers) is what a few people have suggested, and a first shipment of 20k for Madworld is entirely believable.

krea

Banned

lol?

a avarange port of a avarange pc-western-game sells more than 2 (big) wii exclusive games? in japan?

gerg

krea said:
lol?

a avarange port of a avarange pc-western-game sells more than 2 (big) wii exclusive games? in japan?

REGINLEIV is not "big". I don't think that MadWorld exactly qualifies for that title, either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
krea said:
lol?

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Random comparison update. With the past month added into Garaph, I wondered if Mario Kart Wii (2854) had yet fallen behind Mario Kart DS (214). However, it seems the holiday bump has pushed that back. As of the latest included numbers Wii is 90K ahead of DS at the same age, up from the 33K ahead it was a month before. However, with holiday bump over it's back to losing ground at a few thousand a week. So now I'd say MK Wii has a couple more months of safe lead, before MK DS reaches its own 2007 holiday bump.

Closer view:

JoshuaJSlone said:
Random comparison update. With the past month added into Garaph, I wondered if Mario Kart Wii (2854) had yet fallen behind Mario Kart DS (214). However, it seems the holiday bump has pushed that back. As of the latest included numbers Wii is 90K ahead of DS at the same age, up from the 33K ahead it was a month before. However, with holiday bump over it's back to losing ground at a few thousand a week. So now I'd say MK Wii has a couple more months of safe lead, before MK DS reaches its own 2007 holiday bump.

[img-]http://garaph.info/softwaregroupline.php//grid/65/width/500/height/300[/img]

Closer view:

I can't be the only one that giggles anytime I'm shown a graph of MKDS sales over time.

dolemite

Madworld and Zangeki no Reginleiv did better than a lot of people's expectations (still low though). I guess the quietness of the week helped these titles shine.

schuelma

dolemite said:
Madworld and Zangeki no Reginleiv did better than a lot of people's expectations (still low though). I guess the quietness of the week helped these titles shine.

I think "shine" might be the wrong word to use, especially for Mad World. I do think the Reginleiv number if true is a somewhat respectable start and if it behaves like many 1st party games it could wind up with a respectable LTD in the end.

wsippel

Banned
Bundling Motion+ with Reginleiv might have helped, but I'm somewhat relieved nevertheless. I expected the game to crash and burn horribly for some reason.

Durante

Sacred 2 did much better than I expected. I wasn't even aware that it is still coming to Japan, I played it in 2008. Deserved though -- if the game on consoles is even close in quality to the PC version. The relative success is maybe also partly because the aesthetics of the game, particularly in terms of character models, are actually closer to JRPGs and quite unlike most WRPGs.

Madworld at 5k is really "better than expected"?

KongRudi said:
But the buses is still going...

We are talking about the PSP Go, on its own -- not judging Sony's overall PSP strategy, but specifically discussing the PSP Go and why it is ten pounds of fail in a five-pound failsack.

You brought up the question of why people who complained about the UMD didn't love the Go, and I explained it. A new PSP customer has two options now: they can buy a 3000, and have the option of "buses" or "taxis" for every game they buy -- or they can buy a Go, spend more money, and be locked into "taxis" only. As a result, for someone who complained about the UMD, the Go does not offer any benefit -- it removes the UMD but does not add anything (related to buying games) that is not already available on the PSP-3000 which has literally 100% of the online DD functionality of the Go.

When people complained about the UMD, what they wanted was some combination of methods to reduce its drawbacks (which Sony has done to a small degree, but which CFW was much more successful at) and/or for the next full Sony portable platform to replace it with a less crappy physical medium (which we don't know about yet), or maybe even for Sony to give them a DD-only PSP at a significant price break to make up for the loss of functionality (lolz).

Here's another analogy. Lots of people have complained about the voice chat on PS3 because it doesn't work between different games. If Sony released a new optional firmware update that could remove voice-chat altogether, would you ask why people were complaining that the voice chat they didn't like had been made removable?

All who enjoys games, should hope that the games and platforms succeeds

Nope. I only hope platforms succeed when they are succeeding on the back of good, pro-consumer business decisions, because otherwise their success will encourage bad choices on the part of the hardware manufacturers.

krea said:
I think, the 360 exclusive deals was a big failure and damaged many important game series.

What "damaged" the Star Ocean series was the fact that word of mouth on the game was toxic, coming off of a previous entry that had already damaged the credibility of the series. Tales seems to have recovered just fine from its brief flirtation with Xbox exclusivity.

Durante

markatisu said:
The first and probably only shipment to retailers was ~20k, what were your expectations :lol
Well, for such a hardcore game I'd say it should do at least 50% of the shipment on the first day to be considered "good". (like e.g. Reginleiv did)

jcm

charlequin said:
You brought up the question of why people who complained about the UMD didn't love the Go, and I explained it. A new PSP customer has two options now: they can buy a 3000, and have the option of "buses" or "taxis" for every game they buy -- or they can buy a Go, spend more money, and be locked into "taxis" only. As a result, for someone who complained about the UMD, the Go does not offer any benefit -- it removes the UMD but does not add anything (related to buying games) that is not already available on the PSP-3000 which has literally 100% of the online DD functionality of the Go.

I think this is a really important point. I prefer to buy my games via DD, but I already have a PSP 3000 and a few UMDs. Sony has given me no reason at all to buy a new, more expensive PSP. In fact, they've given me a reason not to, since there's no way to play my UMD games on it.

In addition, while I prefer DD games, I still buy the occasional UMD. If it's the same price, and the DD doesn't give me the junk treasures Atlus throws into the retail package, then I'm going to buy the disc, and will have yet another reason not to buy a Go.

One of the reasons Apple has been so successful with the ipod is that they keep giving existing owners reasons to upgrade, and they don't give them reasons to stand pat. Sony hasn't been able to figure that out.

jcm

markatisu said:
The first and probably only shipment to retailers was ~20k, what were your expectations :lol

Selling a decent percentage of a tiny shipment doesn't mean you succeeded, it means you failed to sell the game to retailers.

Edit: Sorry about the two posts in a row.

Vinnk

Durante said:
Madworld at 5k is really "better than expected"?

Did better than I expected. I thought 5k would be LTD.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a bomba. A big steaming bomba.

But I thought it would do worse.

Spiegel

At least Reginleiv will chart in the top 10.

That's something, considering probably less than 10 wii games (released in 2010) are going to do that in the first half of the year.

donny2112

Famitsu Jan 25-31

01./00. [NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) - 909,981 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] End of Eternity (SEGA) - 125,868 / NEW
03./01. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 89,809 / 3,208,266 (-22%)
04./00. [PS3] Ar Tonelico 3: The Girl's Song that Pulls the Trigger of World's Demise (Namco Bandai Games) - 85,776 / NEW
05./04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 55,433 / 2,767,879 (-2%)
06./06. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 30,923 / 1,584,758 (-8%)
07./05. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 29,764 / 674,669 (-45%)
08./00. [360] End of Eternity (SEGA) - 29,145 / NEW
09./02. [PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy (SEGA) - 22,608 / 123,890 (-78%)
10./08. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 15,581 / 1,735,467 (-8%)

11./00. [PS3] MAG: Massive Action Game (SCEI) - 14,868 / NEW
12./10. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 14,158 / 3,560,902 (-2%)
13./00. [PSP] Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime Portable (Spike) - 14,005 / NEW
14./12. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 13,864 / 550,146 (+8%)
15./09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST Reprint) (Capcom) - 12,494 / 164,072 (-16%)
16./03. [PSP] Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Battle of Aces (Namco Bandai Games) - 11,359 / 87,927 (-85%)
17./00. [WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Capcom) - 10,583 / NEW
18./00. [PSP] 11eyes CrossOver (5pb) - 10,150 / NEW
19./13. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 9,953 / 1,058,865 (-9%)
20./07. [WII] Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles (Capcom) - 9,341 / 107,039 (-50%)
21./15. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 9,296 / 2,546,879 (-6%)
22./17. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 8,547 / 5,719,651 (-5%)
23./11. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires (Koei) - 8,115 / 21,856 (-41%)
24./16. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (SEGA) - 7,615 / 549,334 (-18%)
25./19. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengo Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 6,916 / 209,994 (-13%)
26./00. [PSP] Machi-Ing Maker 3 x Tousouchuu (D3 Publisher) - 6,294 / NEW
27./00. [PS2] Princess Lover! Eternal Love for My Lady (Comfort) - 6,279 / NEW
28./14. [PSP] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai Games) - 6,278 / 46,000 (-40%)
29./00. [NDS] Livly Garden (Marvelous) - 6,262 / NEW
30./21. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 5,629 / 296,407 (-18%)

Bar Chart Jan 25-31 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2010-01-25

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Dec 21, 2009-Jan 3, 2010
Jan 4-10, 2010
Jan 11-17, 2010
Jan 18-24, 2010

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
confuziz said:
are these accurate first day numbers?

Quiz Magic Academy DS ~Futatsu no Jikuuseki~ (DS) - 24k (32%)

Tennis no Oujisama ~More Sweet Edition~ (DS) - 16k (65%)

Sacred 2 (360) - 15k (87%)

Dragon Ball DS 2 (DS) - 11k (17%)

Lupin the 3rd: Shijou Saidai no Tounousen (DS) - 7k (40%)

SOCOM Portable (PSP) - 5k (36%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1264842963/904
They seem real but we have been burned many times with fake leaks so there is a good possibility these are fake too. I hope it's not that banned site again that found them.

dolemite said:
I expect New Super Mario Wii to be #1 this week.
Yeah right. No.

markatisu

jcm said:
Selling a decent percentage of a tiny shipment doesn't mean you succeeded, it means you failed to sell the game to retailers.

Edit: Sorry about the two posts in a row.

Did I ever say it succeeded? I said it only shipped 20k to retailers and probably wont ship anymore so how could any reasonable person expect some anything even mediocre?

Not sure who you exactly are countering here

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
Spike, same publisher that publishes every low-tier western->to->japan localization.
That's what I was thinking.

Wouldn't this make it one of their best Western localization openings?

If it is, I wonder if their marketing is actually getting better (since both Madworld and Sacred 2 seem to be doing better than expected) or if there's just more people interested in the types of titles they publish now.

Spiegel

Dengenki Playstation Sales: Feb 1 - 7, 2010:

01. [PSP] God Eater (Namco Bandai) - 302,295 / 302,295
02. [PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope - International (Square Enix) - 74,471 / 74,471

03. [PS3] Resonance of Fate (Sega) - 28,172 / 143,613
04. [PSP] Pop 'n Music Portable (Konami) - 18,216 / 18,216
05. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 15,125 / 790,989
06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best Reprint) (Capcom) - 13,661 / 138,543
07. [PS3] MAG: Massive Action Game (SCE) - 12,019 / 30,073
08. [PS3] Ar tonelico III: Sekai Shuuen no Hikigane wa Shoujo no Uta ga Hajiku (Namco Bandai) - 10,169 / 100,096
09. [PSP] Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy (Sega) - 8,153 / 121,591
10. [PSP] Misshitsu no Sacrifice (D3 Publisher) - 5,264 / 5,264

Durante

AT3 at 100k in one tracker now. Awesome.

Stumpokapow said:
Spike, same publisher that publishes every low-tier western->to->japan localization.
From a quick look at garaph it seems like Sacred 2 will be their second most successful localization after Oblivion in 2007. (Which sold more on 360 than PS3, wow)

donny2112

Nirolak said:
Wouldn't this make it one of their Western localization openings?

Yes, this does make it one of their Western localization openings.

Oblivion did 45K on 360, and Colin McRae Rally did 38K on PS1 from a brief look at Spike game openings. I'm guessing which are Western localizations, though. Their biggest debut (in my database) is Way of the Samurai 2 at 114K on PS2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
donny2112 said:
Yes, this does make it one of their Western localization openings.

Oblivion did 45K on 360, and Colin McRae Rally did 38K on PS1 from a brief look at Spike game openings. I'm guessing which are Western localizations, though. Their biggest debut (in my database) is Way of the Samurai 2 at 114K on PS2.
It seems I accidentally the word best.

Thanks for the info.

Onesimos

Even though New Super Mario Bros. Wii has fallen one slot to #4, I had to wonder how long it will stay in the Top 10. Its total sales in Japan is around 3.3 million and if it stays in the Top 10 list longer it will eventually reach 4 million and replace Super Mario Land.

Tomodachi Collection not yet falling out of the Top 10 is quite remarkable for a game that was released last July. How long has it been there? Seven months?

And behold how the mighty has fallen! Final Fantasy XIII is falling like a rock and soon out of the Top 50. It is unlikely it will reach three million copies very soon.

schuelma

Onesimos said:
And behold how the mighty has fallen! Final Fantasy XIII is falling like a rock and soon out of the Top 50. It is unlikely it will reach three million copies very soon.

Umm..it might struggle to reach 1.9M, much less 3 million :lol :lol

Khrno

Jeels said:
Question to the sales age'ers. Is the Japanese industry still in "decline" as people have been saying.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6244933.html

As reported by Famitsu and translated by GameSpot, Enterbrain said today that Japanese game industry sales amounted to ¥542.6 billion ($5.91 billion) during the December 29, 2008-December 27, 2009 calendar year. That figure represents a 6.9 percent slip from 2008's tally of ¥582.6 billion ($6.35 billion).

Top Bottom