• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I <3 Pozole! What's your favorite Mexican food?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks

961707063.jpg

Also, tacos : D

Sumidor

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
It's called La Fuente in downtown Tigard. I'm going to try La Bonita out on Alberta this weekend on my way to Gartner's, I'll report back afterward.
La Bonita is good. So is Nuestra Cocina, it's kinda spendy for mexican food, but it's nice to splurge once and a while. I should've known that was Muchas when you showed the carne asada chips! As much as I love Muchas, I can only eat at one of them when i've hit a certain level of drunky.

I can't find a picture but chilli killies rules. The guys in my kitchen have been making it for years and I love it. Usually with some eggs and tomatoes, and make it hot as hell.

Beardz

BobTheFork said:
I can't find a picture but chilli killies rules. The guys in my kitchen have been making it for years and I love it. Usually with some eggs and tomatoes, and make it hot as hell.

chicken_chilaquiles1.jpg

Luixfern

BobTheFork said:

It's spelled chilaquiles. Google-fu and begin to salivate.

Leunam

My mom used to make that shit for breakfast, usually when my dad would have his work crew meet up at our house. Always had sourcream, pickled onions, and an egg on top.

So good.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Hilbert said:
Do you go to the muchas gracias in Portland next to Creston Park?

No, I used to live in Vancouver, WA so I'd go to one of them on Mill Plain. Sadly, my closest one now is in Beaverton. I hate driving to Beaverton.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Luixfern said:
It's spelled chilaquiles. Google-fu and begin to salivate.

You know, it is strange, I have heard of chiaquiles, I have seen it in books, but my family never made it. I don't think I have ever even had it.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
The Lamonster said:
I'd be happy to see it! Please and thanks.

Here you are, copied directly from my facebook page where I had it posted:

Hilbert said:
Ceviche is a dish made by soaking raw fish in citrus juice. There are many varieties, here is the one I make, which I am told is Mexican style. Which makes sense. It does not use any heat to make(unless you fry up your own chips), so it's awesome for hot days when you don't want to turn on your stove.

You will need:

A fresh raw fish. I like to use a light white fish, although shrimp is used a lot too. I have also read of Octopus and Squid being used, but I have never tried them.
Lots of limes.
Cilantro
Onions
Tomatoes
Garlic
Avocado
Jalapenos

Chop up the fish. I like to chop it really fine, but some like it chunkier. The bigger the fish pieces the longer it will take to marinate. Place it in a container and enough juice from the limes to completely cover the fish. Place in the fridge for a few hours (last time I made it I put it in the fridge for about 2 hours). Stir every once in a while. When the fish is completely white, and not translucent it is done (at least for my white fish).
Chop up the tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and onions, and jalapenos as if you were making a salsa. Strain the marinated fish(sometimes I even press on it to get the lime juice out. Trust me, it will be limey enough), and mix together the veggies and the fish. I like to put a pinch of cumin and mexican oregano, along with some salt.

Top with avocado slices and serve with chips or as the filling for tacos. I am told this dish is not recommended for pregnant women.

It keeps in the fridge for about 2-3 days, but I don't know if I would leave it for longer than that. And be suspicious after 2 days. It is raw fish, respect that.

And for anyone interested in making their tortillas I have the directions here:
http://eatingwiththechavezes.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-your-own-corn-tortillas.html

Restaurants around here, while they do have some authentic stuff, tend to all serve a lot of the same dishes. Of the little bit I have tried I think flautas are probably up there as one of my favorites (though it depends on where I get them from).

Sumidor

MyFaceIsOnFire said:
No, I used to live in Vancouver, WA so I'd go to one of them on Mill Plain. Sadly, my closest one now is in Beaverton. I hate driving to Beaverton.
Where do you live now? There's a Muchas Gracias everywhere these days.

I love mexican food and I have my wife, who is white, cook it often. She actually makes stuff that's pretty damn authentic.

Albondigas, Pozole, Tamales, Menudo, etc.

The unfortunate thing is that being an islamic-convert I have to replace the pork in recipes with either chicken or lamb.

Mexican food is riddled with pork.

My favorite is probably Albondigas. Tamales verde (using tomatillos) is probably a close second. She also makes excellent chicken mole with nopales. Someday I'm going to have her make chili rellenos (I don't know if that's an Americanized food though since it's fried to hell and back).

The only mexican foods I can't stand are guacamole and chorizo. Yech.

smurfx

get some go again
btw you guys like frijoles puercos? i can't believe i forgot to mention them here. you guys should definitely try some if you have the chance.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
smurfx said:
btw you guys like frijoles puercos? i can't believe i forgot to mention them here. you guys should definitely try some if you have the chance.
omg, YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom