• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I go to your city, tell me 3 places I -have- to eat

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This is a tough question. I always ask people what they are actually into. Do you want the best local places making stuff you can't get anywhere else or do you want our best attempt at a french restaurant in the midwest?

I show up at your house tomorrow, got 30 bucks, we hungry and youre like "dude, we gotta go to this place"

Dallas, TX - This is a toughie. But from my limited experience...

Lockhart Smokehouse (Sorry Pecan Lodge) - Bishop Arts District
Rodeo Goat - Design District
Emporium Pies - Deep Ellum or Bishop Arts

Hell yes, I'll be in Dallas this weekend, actually! London in a month and a half too.

This is a little tough, because I'm assuming you want the food to be approachable in price.

Philadelphia:

Vernick - New American Cuisine - Instagram

What to eat: Seriously, check out the toast starters, they are surprisingly awesome. I recommend the crudos as well. Nothing on this menu is bad. They also have an amazing bar program.

Notes: Be sure to reserve well in advance.

A Mano - Italian Cuisine - Instagram

What to eat: Braised pork shank is where it's at. Also the Squid Ink Alla Chitarra.

Notes: It's a BYOB and cash only, which makes it very affordable for the quality.

Kanella South - Cypriot Cuisine- Instagram

What to eat: The octopus and lamb dishes. There were these lamb dumplings of some variety on the menu that were unreal.

Note: This place moved locations and I have not yet been to the new location.

Meier

Man. That is tough. There are some super high end fancy places (Uchi/Uchiko springs to mind) that people would definitely recommend ahead of some of these options, but for me personally, these 3 are musts.. Franklin is a big time investment, so you could sub La Barbecue for a shorter wait.

Austin, TX

Torchy's Tacos - A Texas institution at this point. The queso is unparalleled and the variety of tacos is fantastic.
tavola-torchys.jpg

Franklin Barbecue - You simply cannot find better BBQ anywhere.
Franklin-BBQ2.jpg

Via 313 Pizza - This is actually Detroit style pizza so it isn't unique to Austin or anything, but man, I love their pizza.
menu2.jpg

Ambient80

Charleston, WV (yeah I know...)

1. Pies and Pints. Excellent pizza with a huge selection of toppings. I personally recommend the black bean pizza. Also a ton of microbrews to choose from.

2. Fazio's. Really great Italian restaurant. A bit pricey but the food I've gotten from there has always been top notch.

3. The Barge. This place is actually on an old river barge. There's two parts. The lower area is a casual dining/bar place with really tasty burgers. The top area is high class, suit and tie dining. Expensive, but also very good food and a neat experience.

Lately I've been more inclined to recommend restaurants one town over from Ann Arbor. Ypsilanti has some great new restaurants including wonderful Moroccan food at Casablanca, great sausages ground and smoked in-house at the Wurst Bar, and delicious Honduran food at Antonio's Coney Island.

Some good restaurants between Ann Arbor and Ypsi. Ypbor Yan and Yee Siang dumplings are great. Ma Lou's is Ypsi is awesome too.

As for Ann Arbor, I love a couple of items at Mani, Isalita and Aventura. vKitchen down south has some good options.

Lots of decent Korean options as well (Arirang, Macheko, Seoul Garden) - Miss Kims has become one of my favourites, especially considering my work is right next door.

Man - the Inspired Cuban at Frita Batidos literally changed my life. Best sandwich I've ever had - and that place is *always* packed when I swing by!

I agree, Zingerman's is overrated, but the quality of the food makes up for the pretentious vibe...

Shalimar used to by my favorite for Indian cuisine - but Cardamom has taken over that spot. Even better since they expanded their dining room and added the bar!

I haven't been there in a while, but the Blue Nile was always pretty good.

Also - if you come to Ann Arbor, you can't leave without hitting up Blimpy Burger for a gut bomb...

and the Fleetwood Diner for some Hippie Hash. The Fleetwood isn't for everyone (as the yelp reviews show) - but I've always enjoyed grabbing a bite there...

Zingermans is over priced, but never overrated. The classic Reuben there is still the best sandwich I've ever had.

Brighton, UK:

The Earth and Stars for Sunday roast. Local produce, big helpings, delicious!

La Choza for Mexican food including homemade chorizo.

Red Snapper for Thai food. Tiny restaurant serving traditional food and a range of teas.

Damn I'm hungry now.

I came really close to putting Bollywood on there, as I personally love the place. So fucking good. Beast is good, but I hesitate for 2 reasons, set menu and communal seating. I'm not against the former, but the 2nd one... I fucking hate.

Toro Bravo is great, all his places really are. Though I honestly recommend Tasty N Sons (or Alder) for the Gorham treatment as it's a bit more accessible and more "Portland" if that makes sense.

Ox is just good.

HA/VL is the best... or Rose VL... same owners really.. but you have to like that kind of soup... but if you do it's heaven on earth.

My wife and I do Tasty n Sons every few weeks for brunch. So good. I like Toro Bravo more for the special occasion feel of it, but for accessibility, Tasty n Sons is great. I had a friend who bartended at Ox, so I got to eat there a couple times, and I just remember the wait time being interminable; I really don't like it when places don't offer reservations and expect people to just wait 90+ minutes to get seated. Screen Door is awful for that too.

We'll have to give HA/VL a try; we're not usually out that way, but we appreciate a good soup and I love a good Banh Mi.

CPCunha

Belo Horizonte, Brazil

01. A Pão de Queijaria
The most iconic food from my state (i think so) is "Pão de Queijo"... baked cheesy-bread balls. This place serves different versions of it (different cheese for each day of the week) and delicious variations.

z5wc.jpg

02. La Tosqueria
Kinda biased... my best friend's bar. The best burgers in town.

05wc.jpg

03. Armazém Parmeggiano
Adding a local twist to Parmeggiana steaks... simply outstanding. Pic for reference, pork parmeggiana with "biquinho" peppers and pumpkin puree.

15wc.jpg

BONUS! Academia do Café
Multiple award winning coffee, featured in tons of shows (Anthony Bourdain is a fan), one of the best coffee producers/shop in the world.

45wc.jpg

Fritz

Man. That is tough. There are some super high end fancy places (Uchi/Uchiko springs to mind) that people would definitely recommend ahead of some of these options, but for me personally, these 3 are musts.. Franklin is a big time investment, so you could sub La Barbecue for a shorter wait.

Austin, TX

Torchy's Tacos - A Texas institution at this point. The queso is unparalleled and the variety of tacos is fantastic.
tavola-torchys.jpg

Franklin-BBQ2.jpg

Via 313 Pizza - This is actually Detroit style pizza so it isn't unique to Austin or anything, but man, I love their pizza.
menu2.jpg

Gosh, that all looks so good, it's obscene

thespot84

Austin, TX

tavola-torchys.jpg

Franklin-BBQ2.jpg

menu2.jpg

I prefer taco deli myself

LionPride

Banned

Austin, TX

Franklin-BBQ2.jpg

Excuse you?

SteveWD40

Manchester

Australasia: Fantastic service, cool underground location, amazing food and solid cocktail list.

Pollen Bakery: Located in one of the railway arches near piccadilly, people drive from all over and queue for ages for their Danishes. Raspberry and Pistachio is a favourite.

Sams Chop House: Proper, olde world gastro pub, 140 years old to be precise. Chefs signature corn beef hash is indulgent.

There are plenty of alternatives, Manchester House is pursuing a Michelin Star iirc but it's not my thing. Loads of cool places in The Northern Qtr but no where jumped out at me.

Man - the Inspired Cuban at Frita Batidos literally changed my life. Best sandwich I've ever had - and that place is *always* packed when I swing by!

I agree, Zingerman's is overrated, but the quality of the food makes up for the pretentious vibe...

Shalimar used to by my favorite for Indian cuisine - but Cardamom has taken over that spot. Even better since they expanded their dining room and added the bar!

I haven't been there in a while, but the Blue Nile was always pretty good.

Also - if you come to Ann Arbor, you can't leave without hitting up Blimpy Burger for a gut bomb...

and the Fleetwood Diner for some Hippie Hash. The Fleetwood isn't for everyone (as the yelp reviews show) - but I've always enjoyed grabbing a bite there...

Frita Batidos is the bomb. The lines were always super long though. Hippie Hash is also awesome.

There are some really good diners too, like Angela's or Franks for a good classic greasy spoon.

Zingerman's Road House is better than the sandwich place imo. Getting a big ol BBQ platter there is amazing.

azyless

Lorient (Britanny, France)
It's a relatively small city compared to most people here so there's not a lot of choice but eh.

- L'Octopus
Tapas bar. The food is great and the alcohol is even better. Perfect for an evening with friends.

- L'Alsace à Quai
A mix between breton and alsatian cuisine.

- Le jardin gourmand
A bit more refined but not overly pricey. The menu changes often since there's an emphasis on fresh, seasonal produce. It's not somewhere I would eat every week but I always recommend it to people passing by.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
This is a little tough, because I'm assuming you want the food to be approachable in price.

Philadelphia:

Vernick - New American Cuisine - Instagram

What to eat: Seriously, check out the toast starters, they are surprisingly awesome. I recommend the crudos as well. Nothing on this menu is bad. They also have an amazing bar program.

Notes: Be sure to reserve well in advance.

A Mano - Italian Cuisine - Instagram

What to eat: Braised pork shank is where it's at. Also the Squid Ink Alla Chitarra.

Notes: It's a BYOB and cash only, which makes it very affordable for the quality.

Kanella South - Cypriot Cuisine- Instagram

What to eat: The octopus and lamb dishes. There were these lamb dumplings of some variety on the menu that were unreal.

Note: This place moved locations and I have not yet been to the new location.

Been here most of my life and never been to any of these places.

I was going to suggest the most basic yet solid:

Reading Terminal

Federal Donuts

Denies's Food Truck

Kinda boring kinda Dope

KodaRuss

Austin, TX

tavola-torchys.jpg

Franklin-BBQ2.jpg

menu2.jpg

I guess I need to check out Via. I have only been to Franklin's once (couldnt wait any other time) and it is incredible.

Thank god that Torchy's started opening up in DFW. I have one pretty close now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
That stuff in Austin does look pretty amazing. I really want to do a bbq tour of the south at some point (and go to Tennessee for some hot chicken!)

for quintessential new york shit:
russ and daughters
grimaldi's
peter luger's
possibly katz

(the food might not even be the best but classic ny spots)

not sure if i could narrow down a list of my actual favorite foods here to 3 tho :/

I don't know if I could do this for the small town I live in, but if we are considering Central NJ I suggest the following;

Rocky Hill Inn Tavern - Princeton NJ - A top notch Gastropub with great food and reasonable prices.

8THyNtY.jpg

azkptrG.jpg

Pictured is their spin on Chicken and Waffles with cheddar bacon scallion waffles, fried chicken, and a dijon maple syrup sauce. Their Pub Burger, bison patty, cheddar cheese, beer battered onion rings, and chipotle mayo served with their twice fried duck fat fries.

Destination Dogs - New Brunswick NJ - An unique spin on hot dogs from various locales around the world

BYKr9Qp.jpg

Pictured are the Chivas Royale - Deep fried hot dog w/ cheese sauce, strip bacon, salsa verde, sour cream, scallions. Also is half of the Le Poutine - Duck sausage topped w/ fried potatoes, brown gravy, cheese.

Harolds Famous NY Deli - Harolds is famous for excess and their ginormous portions.

t4QyvfP.jpg

Yes that's their two meat deli sammich served between potato pancakes

Raging Spaniard

for quintessential new york shit:
russ and daughters
grimaldi's
peter luger's
possibly katz

(the food might not even be the best but classic ny spots)

not sure if i could narrow down a list of my actual favorite foods here to 3 tho :/

I lived in NY for 2 years and I only heard of katz, haha.

My NY picks would be:

-Calexico
-Bon Chon on St. Marks (better food selection)
-Despaña

Memorable mentions:

-Chavelas
-Shake Shack
-Joe's Pizza

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I could do this for the small town I live in, but if we are considering Central NJ I suggest the following;

Rocky Hill Inn Tavern - Princeton NJ - A top notch Gastropub with great food and reasonable prices.

8THyNtY.jpg

azkptrG.jpg

Pictured is their spin on Chicken and Waffles with cheddar bacon scallion waffles, fried chicken, and a dijon maple syrup sauce. Their Pub Burger, bison patty, cheddar cheese, beer battered onion rings, and chipotle mayo served with their twice fried duck fat fries.

Destination Dogs - New Brunswick NJ - An unique spin on hot dogs from various locales around the world

BYKr9Qp.jpg

Pictured are the Chivas Royale - Deep fried hot dog w/ cheese sauce, strip bacon, salsa verde, sour cream, scallions. Also is half of the Le Poutine - Duck sausage topped w/ fried potatoes, brown gravy, cheese.

Harolds Famous NY Deli - Harolds is famous for excess and their ginormous portions.

t4QyvfP.jpg

Yes that's their two meat deli sammich served between potato pancakes

Famous for an ugly and disgusting looking sandwich. Gag.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Fargo, ND. There isn't exactly a bevvy of great food here, but these are the three I will miss the most when I move away.

1. BurgerTime: A fast food burger drive up window. The sign on the side of the building is pretty clear: Burgers Fries Pop. Think of a fond memory of eating a Whopper when you were a child, then having a similar burger that completely blows it away. That's their burgers. Salty fries and huge sodas on the side. It's $6 for a combo now? For a long time their claim to fame was that their Bigger Burgers were $1. It's gotten more expensive, but it's still the best god damn fast food burger I've ever had and I love it to death.

2. Grand Junction: "East Coast Style Sandwiches." Griddled meat, cheese, and sauce on freshly baked rolls. They have hand cooked fries that are to die for. The Cordon Bleu is their best sandwich: fresh chicken breast & cold cut ham grilled on a flat top, then covered with honey mustard & mayo until the meat is covered in the sauce. This place rules.

3. Acapulco: My favorite Mexican restaurant in town. Most out of towners end up at Paradiso or Mexican Village which are fine, I guess. Acapulco has much better food that's much cheaper, and while it's pretty close to a standard Tex-Mex menu, the food is far more authentic. They have amazing house salsa & chips, and the service is FAST.

Tawpgun

Boston

Yume Wo Katare. You'll only need one meal for the whole day.

Pizzeria Regina (North End, original location). Only good pizza in Boston really

Island Creek Oyster Bar. Come to Boston, you better have oysters.

Will have to check out that top place, I live pretty close to it.

Some of my favorites

1. Boston Burger Company - Known for over the top burgers

2. Union Sq Donuts - Gotta try their Maple Bacon

3. Punjabi Dhaba - Best indian I've had at absurdly low prices

4. Als Cafe - awesome, big, cheap sandwhiches

Raging Spaniard

If by any chance somebody has more Dallas recs (headed to Acon), Id really appreciate it, leaving there on Wednesday :D

Elitist1945

Ottawa, Canada

The Works: The best burgers you'll ever have

Smoke's Poutinerie: Its poutine, I don't need to say much here

Lonestar: Steaks, fajitas, chips & salsa

My tastes are very American-like evidently lol.

Christchurch, New Zealand

Dimitris Greek Food - simply the best lamb souvlakis I've ever eaten. Ask them to add hot sauce = perfection.

dimitris-souvlaki.jpg

New York Deli - amazing hot meat sandwiches, my favourite being roast pork with crackling, onion jam and apple sauce, although I think this is a photo of their Obama BLT

new-york-deli-papanui.jpg

The Brewery at the Tannery - great pub with all the craft beer you could want, plus this chicken avocado pizza...

1459298951555.jpg

mhayes86

Northern Virginia. Probably the only thing that I really like about the area is that it's a cultural melting pot.

-Old town Manassas has a great Greek place called Katerina's.
-Also in Manassas is a good Mexican restaurant called Don Lencho.
-Fairfax has Dogfish Head Alehouse which has some excellent food and awesome beers that rotate seasonally.
-I've been to a few Honey Pig restaurants between MD and VA, but they have been excellent Korean BBQ places.
-If you like Brazilian steakhouses like Fogo de Chao (there's one in Baltimore and DC), there's a similar place in Fairfax called Texas de Brazil that is great.

I also want to mention my favorite seafood restaurant. It's a place called Papadeaux, and there's only a few around the country. I've been to one in Phoenix, AZ, and one just outside of Atlanta, GA, and both were phenomenal.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Alexandria VA
Code:
[B]Juliano's Pizzeria[/B] - Specialty pies, subs & salads plus bottled beers doled out in a compact, counter-serve nook. 
[img]http://i.imgur.com/DNrJAh1.png[/img]
Cheese steak all day. Sometimes chicken parm. The staff is great.
Code:
[B]El Paso[/B] - Upbeat restaurant & cantina offering familiar Mexican fare & margaritas amid colorful decor. 
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jBbYbOu.png[/img]
Chimichangas & Queso dip. Quesdo dip is a standing order when I sit down. You will not leave hungry.
Code:
[B]Cosmopolitan Grill[/B] - Family-run eatery with a comfortable vibe furnishes goulash, schnitzel & other hearty Balkan dishes.
Get your schnitzel on.
Code:
[B]Dishes of India[/B] - Lower-level, strip-mall eatery serving creative Indian fare, plus wine & beer, in a pink-hued space.
Like Cosmo, but Indian food.
Code:
[B]Hard Times Cafe[/B] - Local chain dishing up chili dishes, wings & burgers in a simple setting with flat-screen TVs. 
[img]http://i.imgur.com/DRLhj5d.jpg[/img]
One stop chili mac spot, and maybe some tots. They also have homemade root beer. 4 kinds of chili: Texas Chili, Cincinnati Chili, Terlingua Red, Vegetarian Chili. They might not be the cleanest though. Full bar and many pool tables+tvs at the Springfield location, Old Town location is tiny tiny tiny, 2 story though.
Code:
[B]Hops Grill & Brewery[/B] - Laid-back microbrewery serving meat & seafood dishes plus a number of handcrafted beers. 
[img]http://i.imgur.com/TGL24xy.png[/img]
Get anything, they have specials each day of the week, I think Thursday is half off 7oz steak day. They don't give you bread at the table, they give you pastries drizzled with honey glaze, pretty much Krispy Kreme Donuts. They are a microbrewery and you can order a mat with a 2 oz glass of each kind to try them all. I get the half sandwich + soup combo for lunch a lot. Clam chowder or potato soup + half turkey club.

Wizerd

Providence, Rhode Island

Lived there for the past four years for college. This'll pertain mostly to the downtown and College Hill areas of town, but trust me there's so much more in that city, and you wouldn't really expect it given its small size.

Ken's Ramen - good ramen complemented by a funky hip hop vibe

Louis Family Restaurant - really quaint and quirky, old-fashioned place, great for breakfast

Red Stripe - excellent American/French food, get the mussels

Seattle, WA

Thai Tom

Best Thai Food I've had in Seattle, great atmosphere to boot.

Le Pichet

Nice French food spot, bonus for being directly downtown and right next to Pike Place and Westlake.

Edit: I do have a third place to eat! Preferably at 3am still buzzed.

Beth's Cafe

Big ass breakfast food served 24 hours a day. Check out the weird ass crayon wall art or contribute your own! Love their hash browns and omelettes. On a similar note,

Still with drinking:

The Crocodile

Solid bar with nice live music just down the hall and the occasional karaoke night.

The Monkey Pub

Best shitty bar ever. Hell, best bar ever. It's like my personal Cheers at times, with regulars who usually show up to sing a bit on one of the three karaoke nights and free pool most days. Cheap, stiff drinks. Really only if you're into dive bars.

Metaroo

Someone already did Memphis so I'll try to pick some different stuff.

1. Crazy Noodle

Midtown place that does pretty awesome Korean food. I've become really fond of the "ramen" they have there. The kicker is that they use Shin Ramyun for their noodles and construct the broth from scratch. I recently won a food bet, and I chose this place in a heart beat for their curry ramen.

258s.jpg

2. Bosses Wings

I grew up eating this stuff. The guy who owns the place graduated from the same school I did and built this place from scratch. I recommend the wings, but the dipped tenders and catfish kick ass as well.

3. Avenue Coffee

A small coffee shop on one of the side streets leading away from the University of Memphis. A wonderful place to sit down and get some work done. Their drinks are also top tier and make it even harder to leave. I usually go for whatever their seasonal drink is (they had an Irish Coffee with almond milk most recently), but you can't go wrong with their usual lattes either. If you're ever around when they make fresh apple crisp bread, you're in for a treat.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Ottawa, Canada

The Works: The best burgers you'll ever have

Smoke's Poutinerie: Its poutine, I don't need to say much here

Lonestar: Steaks, fajitas, chips & salsa

My tastes are very American-like evidently lol.

These are three chains you can find everywhere. Is this a joke post?

How is Taqueria Cancun not in the OP???

Toronto

Canoe
Barque
Stockyards
Canoe is pretty good with a great view to boot.

Seattle, WA

Thai Tom

Best Thai Food I've had in Seattle, great atmosphere to boot.

Le Pichet

Nice French food spot, bonus for being directly downtown and right next to Pike Place and Westlake.

I don't have a third place to -have- to eat since I'm not much of a foodie but I do have places you have to drink!

The Crocodile

Solid bar with nice live music just down the hall and the occasional karaoke night.

The Monkey Pub

Best shitty bar ever. Hell, best bar ever. It's like my personal Cheers at times, with regulars who usually show up to sing a bit on one of the three karaoke nights and free pool most days. Cheap, stiff drinks. Really only if you're into dive bars.

Wow, I guess I'll check these out when I'm in Seattle

Top Bottom