• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D game graphics?

delta25

Banned
Deadlight (upcoming Xbox live game)

Deadlight_b_122256.jpg

Deadlight-No-Escape-Teaser-Trailer_poster.jpg

03_tis-06032012.jpg

deadlight-xbox-360-1327140416-001.jpg

Ninja Baseball Batman has some of my favorite 2D graphics. They're so colorful and I love the crazy enemy designs.

A flying slot machine and baseballs gone mad:
7yht3.jpg

Baseball mitts that bite:
EJLDx.png

Playing cards with a vendetta
TT7Tb.png

An airplane come to life:
GtbKy.png

My favorite Irem game.

also

Banned
Y4qpc.gif

I think this Muramasa gif is legally required in every 2D graphics thread.

My vote goes to Muramasa as well. When I first saw this scenery, I simply put the controller down and stared in awe. This game was the first and last one that made me do that. I wonder if Dragon's Crown will be as impressive.

I really wish Vanilaware would release an updated (HD) version with the cut content and a deeper battle system. Of course, it would be even better if we got a sequel as some of the endings had great set ups. Come on publishers, we need more games like this!

Wow, I've never hard of Deadlight. But the game looks pretty impressive in motion from the YouTube clips I've seen. I will keep my eye on this one.

Also, I vote for Metal Slug 1 , 2 and 3 as some of my favorite 2D games, graphically.

Macmanus

Holy shit at some of you people. You need to Google 2D.

Anyways, Rayman Origins. Haven't played Muramasa, but that certainly looks gorgeous.

delta25

Banned
Holy shit at some of you people. You need to Google 2D.

Anyways, Rayman Origins. Haven't played Muramasa, but that certainly looks gorgeous.

I think most of us are aware of what "2D graphics" are, but whats the problem in posting 2D side-scrolling games that use 3D tech?

Oemenia

Banned
Blazblue is infinitely better looking than STHDR, but very little of its beauty actually comes from 2D art. The backgrounds in BB are the real eye candy, and they're mostly 3D.
Whats with the hate for SSF2HDTR art? Anyways.

Alundra
alundra1.jpg

Alien Soldier
aliensoldier_1.png

Lightning Force
lightning_force.gif

+1 for Muramasa (Now I might replay it) and the Deadlight game for XBL looks fucking sick.

My votes go for a couple of the 16 bit era Virgin games. These guys knew their stuff..

mick-and-mack-as-the-global-gladiators-04.png

Global Gladiators

all1.jpg

Aladdin (Genesis)

also...

mickey-mouse-world-of-illusion-11.png

World of Illusion

For me it's Super Metroid (not just sprites, we're talking pixels so good they're practically cinematic), Yoshi's Island (hand drawn 16-bit storybook graphics? It was a revelation!), SMB 3 (simple yet wonderfully stylistic), and Sonic 2 (still looks better than most of the modern Sonic games). There's more I'd like to mention but I'm at work and will let the rest handle it. :)

Sylver

Banned

[MG]http://www.gbase.de/uploads/ci/shots/Deadlight_b_122256.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-33k2mojDaDE/TxqFKblGbFI/AAAAAAAAAUg/X5RttYinYkI/s1600/Deadlight-No-Escape-Teaser-Trailer_poster.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://static.msxbox-world.com/assets/screenshots/63662/03_tis-06032012.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/x3/d/e/deadlight-xbox-360-1327140416-001.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, no idea about this game :O. Amazing, if it's long enough is a must :O.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
are we talking about hand-drawn or sprite based?
We're talking about Deadlight (and DKCR and other games) using real time rendered polygonal 3D graphics, so not fitting here under any circumstances (where Baldur's Gate etc might be stretching it but are technically still on topic). I suppose the thread title might imply it's about any 2D game(play) regardless of the tech if one wants to be be anal about that, but the OP makes it clear it's about 2D graphics. Or we can be anal about that too and just post any game as long as it's a 2D, not stereo 3D, screenshot.

Also, Noitu Love 2 deserves a mention here, it wouldn't win being an one man effort but it's a damn fine runner up.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37177117
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207530/
As are other Konjak games like Legend of Princess.
www.konjak.org/

Macmanus

Might want to drop that snarky little attitude you have going on...

Yeah I'll work on that. Snark doesn't fly well on GAF. Could be worse, though. I could be posting in the wrong thread.

Staying on topic: Good pick with Aladdin. I'd go with both SNES and Genesis.

We're talking about Deadlight using real time rendered polygonal 3D graphics.

I think it's a lost cause, friend.

Oemenia

Banned
For me it's Super Metroid (not just sprites, we're talking pixels so good they're practically cinematic), Yoshi's Island (hand drawn 16-bit storybook graphics? It was a revelation!), SMB 3 (simple yet wonderfully stylistic), and Sonic 2 (still looks better than most of the modern Sonic games). There's more I'd like to mention but I'm at work and will let the rest handle it. :)
Sonic 3 is way better looking though, you could tell that they made assets around the systems specs rather than building the game and then making it fit.

KOF XII/XIII has some of the best backgrounds I've ever seen in any 2D game. I wish there were more examples online to show how wildly detailed they are. The arcade version of XIII carries over the "massive crowds of people freaking out" while the home console version added in several backgrounds that were just hyper detailed and atmospheric for a total of 20+ backgrounds in ONE fighting game. I'm not going to bring up the sprites as I know they're beautiful, but will inevitably be shit all over due to them being "sub-HD".

delta25

Banned
Yeah I'll work on that. Snark doesn't fly well on GAF. Could be worse, though. I could be posting in the wrong thread. I think it's a lost cause, friend.

well if you want to get get technical we might as well discredit sprite based games considering most of them actually use 3D tech.

But hey, your right lets keep this thread on track...

My "real" vote

936full-super-mario-world-2%3A-yoshi%27s-island-screenshot.jpg

GrayFoxPL

New Rayman is cool and all, but not having the original here is a shame.

ibwNAs9PnlkaHy.jpg

Still one of most beautiful 2d games and imo in terms of art style, old blows the new one out of the water, no contest.

KOF XII/XIII has some of the best backgrounds I've ever seen in any 2D game. I wish there were more examples online to show how wildly detailed they are. The arcade version of XIII carries over the "massive crowds of people freaking out" while the home console version added in several backgrounds that were just hyper detailed and atmospheric for a total of 20+ backgrounds in ONE fighting game. I'm not going to bring up the sprites as I know they're beautiful, but will inevitably be shit all over due to them being "sub-HD".

I really want those missing KOF XII stages as DLC. Why the fuck hasn't that happened yet, Atlus/SNKP?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still one of most beautiful 2d games and imo in terms of art style, old blows the new one out of the water, no contest.
Hmm, I dunno about that. Rayman is one of my favorite games ever and I prefer the original to Origins myself, but I definitely feel Origins has a leg up on it artistically.

Lol at people saying Rayman Origins as the only the best by country mile and stupid things like that, the same for the OP title.

Like theres no BEST painting in history, there is no BEST 2D graphics.
Theres bad quality, normal quality, good quality and amazing quality and then from that people have favourites that will be different depending on the opinion of the person.

I will never say School of Athens from Raffael is the best painting of history, even if its my favourite, because for some one else it could be a Monet, a Rembrandt, a Dali, etc.... and anyone is wrong.

Rayman is a FANTASTIC piece of work, but is not the best, simply because theres no best. There so many rich art in games (and all of them different from each other) that the best things of this type of thread is seeing all the various amazing 2D graphical works that games showcase.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think Rayman Origins is considered top tier 2D graphics because:

1) The visuals are crisp and clean.
2) The animation itself is incredibly fluid.
3) The visuals are very detailed, and retain that level of detail, even when moving through the levels at high speed.
4) They layered backgrounds give a great feeling of depth, despite the 2D plane.

I think it looks glorious on the Vita screen (I was just playing it on the bus ride home from work today).

Beautiful game.

I don't have any screenshot contributions to this thread, since most of my choices were already uploaded, but I do have a request: Can some of you guys PLEASE tell us what game the screens are from?! It drives me crazy when I see screens of a gorgeous/interesting looking game in these screenshot threads, and the person posting the picture never once mentions what game they're from. A lot of these games I'd love to look into further, but sadly, I have no idea what they are.

I really want those missing KOF XII stages as DLC. Why the fuck hasn't that happened yet, Atlus/SNKP?

You and me both. I really think they were getting complaints about it being difficult to see the action on top of such busy / colorful stages. See the severe lack of sumo wrestlers in the console version of the japan stage.

Metal-Geo

SNK backgrounds always had this certain SNK vibe to them. Especially present in the KoF and Metal Slug series. Perhaps it's the colors.

Regardless, they were always great to view (especially in motion)

BadWolf

Yeah, they are insanely good. Often times when I'm in practice I get distracted and just marvel at all the details in the background.

Take the stage with the natives in the forest for example, there are so many characters in that background with unique animations its not even funny. So full of character and well animated. Same goes for the elephant stage and most of other as well.

SNK's background work suffered starting with KOF2000 or so but KOFXII/KOFXIII go to show that they are still kings in this regard and were only held back by their money problems.

Between the excellent character animation and beautiful backgrounds, KOFXIII reeks of a high budget anime production to me.

Salsa

why are people posting 3D games with 3D models? wat

i'll add this since the greatest have already been posted:

AHHD_Xbox360_016_w800.jpg

even loved the pixely gba equivalent

alienhominid-gba3.png

alienhominid-gba4.png

Tain

Rayman Origins is clearly great from a tech standpoint. The backgrounds are nice and detailed, the animation is really fluid... but the look of pretty much every creature in the game does absolutely nothing for me. I could never put it close to Metal Slug or Third Strike due to that.

I'd like to see the Rayman team do another 2D action game with a totally different look, basically.

Rayman Origins is clearly great from a tech standpoint. The backgrounds are nice and detailed, the animation is really fluid... but the look of pretty much every creature in the game does absolutely nothing for me. I could never put it close to Metal Slug or Third Strike due to that.

I'd like to see the Rayman team do another 2D action game with a totally different look, basically.

I totally agree with you, but I've yet to see it in motion outside of a brief multiplayer session at PAX. I do feel bad dogging it as I generally love 2D gameplay over most 3D experiences and I'm always happy to see the tradition continue.

Moreover, I prefer the look of pixel art to the hand drawn / vector / flash style art that most 2D games use these days.

Top Bottom