• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Dashboard rolls out today (Smartglass Oct 26th)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Really crazy looking back on it.

It's as if we are in a different gaming generation now.

The thing I miss about the blades is the compactness and focus. Everything related to only a few major categories right there in one of three blades. Blades felt natural to shuffle back and forth through with the controller bumpers.

Everything since then has felt as if it was constructed purely by marketing staff first, with some limp reminders from an actual UI team tacked on.

And I realize some don't see the problem with advertisements everywhere. But I still think it's bad design, and based on bad principles. It would be one thing if ads were confined to a specific marketplace screen. That's appropriate. But the key thing is, the metro-esque tile interface provides the potential for a customized user experience. They could have allowed you to select which tiles you wish to see on every screen but the marketplace screen. If the user wanted to drag and drop a tile that advertised the hot shit happening on Xbox Live, that's fine. They could have. Instead, the layout is chosen for you and most of it is ad copy, I don't care whether it's for Xbox products or not. With the tiles for your own games and your own content being the smallest and most marginalized. It's honestly kind of insulting.

At least the pins feature may mitigate some of the navigational and organizational damage they've done to the system interface over the years.

Recall

Maybe I can copy my 200GB worth of shit and "fix" the hdd..The 60-90 second boots are annoying.

There is most likely nothing wrong with your HDD. Disconect your Xbox from the internet, unplug the ethernet/remove wireless reciever and power up your console. If the speed it takes to reach the dashboard is improved then it is not your HDD but an issue on the Xbox side, as the Xbox live servers always do a license verification check and load in the adverts etc which slows down the load up time to reach the dashboard especially when you have a lot of content on the HDD.

And to think that it was this in 2005. Crazy how much xbox has evolved.

Xbox-360-dashboard-2005.jpg

yea, now it's full of adds and bullshit.

theytookourjobz

Every update says it's going to be faster and it seems that way for a day or two. After that it's slow as molasses trying to do the smallest thing. I used to favor my Xbox for everything and I've gradually shifted to PS3. Not for games mind you, but everything else is so much snappier.

Robot Pants

Every update says it's going to be faster and it seems that way for a day or two. After that it's slow as molasses trying to do the smallest thing. I used to favor my Xbox for everything and I've gradually shifted to PS3. Not for games mind you, but everything else is so much snappier.

This is so true it's not even funny. I don't know what happens after those first couple of days, but it always ends up going to shit.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This is so true it's not even funny. I don't know what happens after those first couple of days, but it always ends up going to shit.

Yup. My xbox used to turn on and go straight to dash within seconds, no load circle or anything. With this new dash I am sitting there for a good 30 seconds looking at a rotating circle waiting for the dash to load.

EvB

There are the same number of ads on the page I am writing this on now than there are on the front page of my dash.
Not only that, but they are ads that follow me around, I just booked a Hotel, now they are advertising to me!

I love the new UI. Blades sucked. Ads are a non-factor. They're shoved into a little box in the lower right where I never click. Big deal. Navigating the game and video stores is incredibly easy and quick and the content is all easily accessible and searchable. How much time do people spend in the UI that ads are really worth this many tears?

I just want to say thank you Microsoft for finally having themes take up the whole screen!! Its about time. Now I can finally use other themes I have bought other then my Nightmare Before Xmas theme, that was pretty much the only one i had that looked ok with the gray on the bottom.

I just want to say thank you Microsoft for finally having themes take up the whole screen!! Its about time. Now I can finally use other themes I have bought other then my Nightmare Before Xmas theme, that was pretty much the only one i had that looked ok with the gray on the bottom.

It still behaves the same way. It just uses the prominent color from the theme to color the bottom, which is still better than that default gray/white.

I've only used it once or twice but I was really surprised at how well it worked. Probably the best TV web browser I've used. Intuitive and fast.

The browser combined with the Chatpad is the absolute best console browser solution to date. I look forward to see how it works with Surface.

Mindwipe

Yep, the browser isn't bad at all. Flash video would have been nice, but given Adobe I can see wy they didn't.

GAF works.

No? The studio was shut. And people care about adverts because they pay £40 a year for the gold service and still have adverts shoved in their face

But that's what im saying, most of it isn't actual advertising per say (and i mean the ones that dont have to do with the xbox itself) , its just showing off the available demos and movies that are available on the Xbox right now. The adds themselves, like McDs and such, are one per page i think in a little box in the corner most the time.

So i wouldn't say its full of the "more traditional" advertisements shoved down your throat as much as its just better promoting the stuff that's available on the console.

Where as the old one like the pic above only did functionality and nothing else. No "letting you know about new demos" or anything. I don't think that's better at all.

Now if what your saying is you just want a "just functionality" option, then that's a whole other story altogether.

BoSox06DH

I remember these dashboard updates rolling out during the mornings like 8 or 9 AM. Now with last year and this one their rolling out late. They might as well have said the 17th at this point since it's closer to that now.

Five hours later and I still cannot connect to Xbox Live... Why do they give you the option to update via USB if it's going to muck up your Xbox Live connectivity? I guess it really is intended for offline users only.

So, should I try and roll back the update somehow or stick it out and hope Xbox Live connectivity comes back in the next couple of days? Actually, screw it. It must be something to do with the update not being rolled out in this region yet. I suspect it'll just come back once the update hits here. I can wait.

netBuff

Five hours later and I still cannot connect to Xbox Live... Why do they give you the option to update via USB if it's going to muck up your Xbox Live connectivity? I guess it really is intended for offline users only.

So, should I try and roll back the update somehow or stick it out and hope Xbox Live connectivity comes back in the next couple of days?

You can't roll back Xbox updates. Just be patient and wait a bit, you only have yourself to blame.

You can't roll back Xbox updates. Just be patient and wait a bit, you only have yourself to blame.

Yeah. I just realised this. I had no idea that it would even lock me out of Live. As long as I'm not locked out forever, I don't mind. You learn from your mistakes, I guess!

Man, my network settings just changed to automatic again!!! And i didnt even get an update or touch it!! Wtf are they doing god damnit

saelz8

So, should I try and roll back the update somehow or stick it out and hope Xbox Live connectivity comes back in the next couple of days? Actually, screw it. It must be something to do with the update not being rolled out in this region yet. I suspect it'll just come back once the update hits here. I can wait.

Where'd you get the update file?

Where'd you get the update file?

From some Xbox themed online message boards. I don't remember the name... They had an archive of system update files that were supposedly taken from Xbox.com. I downloaded the latest and just followed the steps posted on the Xbox website. I should've known better not to rush into it, but eh. I'm sure it'll come back once the update fully rolls out.

Really crazy looking back on it.

It's as if we are in a different gaming generation now.

Isn't that weird? It's the reason PS3 and 360 still feel new. They both got constant updates throughout their life and thats what kept them up to date with everything. The hardware too.

Take a look at the phat PS3 or the first 360 hardware. They look old. I bet you if they never changed the look of the hardware, or updated the software, nobody would be saying it's too early for next generation. We would all be ready for it. Like it use to be.

Is that 32GB per flash drive? So that means 64GB of potential new memory?

I wish they would just let us attach a USB hard drive. We could then get 1TB cheaply.

Gaspode_T

The second someone in business team becomes convinced that selling marketplace games will make more money than profit they get off of HDD sales and system upgrades I am sure magic fairies will pop out of the earth to make USB hard drives possible.

I worry a little that USB HDD would make people not feel they need to upgrade, even my old elite seems like a dinosaur compared the quiet new slim model, I can't imagine how many people are still using 4 or 5 year old airplane engine simulator systems. Kind of sucks to have to buy 360 multiple times in a generation, hopefully that never happens again.

upgrade to 32GB usb storage is really nice, 16 was a little low if you used it like a replacement HDD, so i'm happy to see that.

ShogunX

Yeah. I just realised this. I had no idea that it would even lock me out of Live. As long as I'm not locked out forever, I don't mind. You learn from your mistakes, I guess!

Go to system settings and then click into Storage - Once there press X,LB,RB,X,LB,RB,X and follow the instructions.

Not many people know about this :) but that lets you remove system updates.

Top Bottom