• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite pieces of functional female body armor?

Orayn

Natural Selection 2's female marine.

JOCgKVx.jpg

Q9CqnU6.jpg

3bMLcA5.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Silver Breastplate goes in the Clothing slot, and is worn under Armor.
I'm aware. I wore it on my female Arisen because of its stats (before finding dragonleather vest and later the patterned gambeson) but only because I could hide it with actual armour. Still gross though.
Of course, most female pawns decline to wear anything over it, same goes for the Silk Lingere. :D
Indeed. I now go out of my way to hire pawns who are a) male (the gender ratio is so skewed, it's absurd) or b) sensibly dressed. Way too many bikini-wearing pawns. -_-

Not my favourite by a long shot but I liked the approach they took in Halo 3's multiplayer, where the player models were identical between male and female characters. They changed it up in later games to sexualize the female versions a bit, so maybe you can chalk this up to just not fully implementing it at the time, but it worked out for the better I think.

iIBgLjmdObwqC.jpg

Bravocado

The
Iris
boss fight in Mega Man X4.

hqdefault.jpg

I hate everything about it, but it always gives me this absurd chuckle thinking about it. Plus it certainly isn't a cakewalk.

Converse

Banned
Lots of great stuff here, and I second (most of) the Monster Hunter designs.

But it's pretty hard to beat Samus Aran's iconic armor as viewed through a Retro Studios design lens:

It's armor first -- and absolutely distinct armor, at that -- with just the right edge of femininity

daninthemix

There's no way Samus' armour can be beat in this regard. So functional and unsexualised players thought she was a dude.

Toxi

Banned
Everyone loves the Light Suit, but I feel the Dark Suit's industrial aesthetic is also pretty sweet.
Not my favourite by a long shot but I liked the approach they took in Halo 3's multiplayer, where the player models were identical between male and female characters. They changed it up in later games to sexualize the female versions a bit, so maybe you can chalk this up to just not fully implementing it at the time, but it worked out for the better I think.
I feel Halo 3 had the better approach. The spartan 2s practically don't look human anymore thanks to their ridiculous augmentations.

Absolutely. Beautiful concept and very well realised.
You can't see an inch of skin, and yet it still manages to be sexy.
Funny that you say that since...

Nakamura: To be honest I just made a mistake when I copied and pasted it.

Miyazaki: Yeah, I did say that didn't I. When I first saw that you'd made his head that size I thought you were a genius. Haha. But the fact that it was an accident, I was hoping you'd take that to your grave. Haha.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/7f...esign-works-translation-weapons-and-eq/99682/

It is, incidentally, a beautiful set of armor though.

Ew, I can still see a faint hint of the sinful female form in most of those armors.

Havel_the_Rock.png

Dark Souls does it right. A truly liberated female is neither seen nor heard.

Riposte

The ninja thread got me thinking about how silly (and hell, downright dangerous) "sexy" female body armor is. What are your favorite bits of functional female body armor?

Bonus points for good examples from FFXIV because I want even more reasons to love that game.

"functional" is a whole other matter, but in terms of conservative displays of flesh, FFXIV has only been getting worse since its earlier days. The armor design has been making a greater shift towards gender differences and that has included more exclusively revealing armor for females (e.g., males wear pants, females wear skirts).

Lime

By the way, J. Shea wrote a great article(s) on character design in terms of internal consistency within the fiction, utility, and substance. Anyone interested in character design should read up on it.

On utility

The purpose of utility in character design is to illustrate how the character is affected by the world and how the character intends to affect the world. The thing about "meta-designs" is that they sort of exist in a vacuum: the artist sat down and made something s/he thought looked good, and that's the end of that story. In contrast, a character's utility or justified lack thereof says a lot about how seriously they take their work. A character clad head to toe in armor reinforces the idea that armor helps avoid dying, which then reinforces the idea that dying is a bad thing, which - simple as it may sound - creates tension. A character who bundles up in an arctic environment is conveying the climate as something other than "the ground is white and there's flakes in the air". A character who is scarred is an obvious veteran; I mean, that's basically the simplest indicator of veterancy there is. If you took two characters and drew scars on one of them, bam, nothing else needed, the scarred one has seen some serious business. If there's a story behind each scar, even better. The elements of the design help tell a story with the character, and thus become relevant to the story.

On style

Let's start with style as a reflection of the character. There's plenty of ways that a character's culture and background can be tied to their visual appearance; in fact, pretty much anything the character wears (or any modification they make to their body, such as piercings, tattoos, and hair styles) can be representative of a culture if done properly. Let's say a film is set during the Crusades. By contrasting European and Middle-Eastern fashions, it's easy to establish who belongs to each culture. Furthermore, due to the long-term nature of the Crusader Kingdoms, many crusaders became somewhat "nativized", adopting Middle Eastern customs out of either utility or simple appreciation for their culture. Hence it was often easy to tell the difference between a first-generation Crusader, new to the Holy Land, and a second-generation Crusader, born to those who'd been came before. This is only one limited example, but it illustrates the ways in which an aesthetic design can be used for something beyond simple audience reactions and actually provide context and clues for the audience as well.

Lots more at the link.

EDIT: He/she also wrote this

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Funny that you say that since...

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/7f...esign-works-translation-weapons-and-eq/99682/

It is, incidentally, a beautiful set of armor though.

Wow, I had no idea this was all available online! Thanks!
(I own the Japanese design works book but haven't managed to go through all the anecdotes/interviews just yet ^^;)

Hah, I also didn't know it wasn't originally intended to be for a woman. Just goes to show that gender really isn't important - good design is.

Platy

Much more boob armors and high heels that I expected =/

My vote goes to Meg from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

pG2xwc8.png

Simple, pratical, heavy weaponry and on a girl withou a traditional body shape on games and STILL cute and girly.

The in game model is even better

olXMvhg.png

wait, so female chest armor really never had the boob accents? not even as a ceremonial/aesthetic choice in the same way male armor might have had pronounced pectoral muscles?

If a person falls to the ground wearing boob armor they will DIE since the impact will be directed right into the center of her ribs. instead of distributed trough the entire chest/belly

x3fCZI9.jpg

Not at all practical, but it sure is pretty.

Fire Emblem is my favorite game on this regard.... but this char specialy loose a few points because of the heels. But they are wide and small so she pass

Dark Souls is a close second place

Nothing beats this. Such a great design.

gallery_6.jpg

Yes !
Can't beat this in sci fi.

Dark Souls armor design is godlike, really, anything from that game. Actually, the "functional" in the thread's title is futile to me: every armor (used in battle) that's not designed to properly protect his/her owner makes me cringe internally, I find it awful, so to me a good design implies being practical.

Every time I see one of those female armors with exposed cleavage I think that's a good sign the game is not for me.

Top Bottom