• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on the Destiny series?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Abel Arias Thats Good GIF by Angie Tribeca

Esca

I liked what I played and played it a fair amount at launch. When they started taking content away you paid for I never looked at it again

Mitsurux

Played the the first game a decent amount, but did not get "pulled" in despite the decent gun-play etc. PVP was fun for awhile and the Main story was interesting, Never really messed with the DLC. Bought 2 and played the very beginning and just dropped it as well. While interesting it wasn't what i was looking for at the time.

First game hid all the lore and cool info behind an online website, and what cutscenes you did get were trash. "I don't have time to explain why I can't explain"

Then the second one I was digging but it's very hard to get me to buy expansions, and when a friend eventually bought some for me they were just so lackluster.

Really wanted to get into the raids cause they looked so freakin beautiful but the barrier to entry was so high....

Last edited:

Dynasty8

The most fun I've ever had gaming in almost 40 years with friends, but also one of the worst introductions since they removed the first two years of story content. Anyone "new" to the story will have a bad time since they don't know what the hell is going on or who these characters are.

But if you have experienced friends who play the game, try out the 6 player Raids and 3 player Dungeons with them. It absolutely is peak gaming entertainment and fun on a whole different level.

Zannegan

Loved the initial concept, and the feel of the gunplay in the demo was awesome, but the scope of the world was so neutered upon release and the loop and missions so grindy and repetitive that it was a huge letdown. I'm sure the pared-down Skinner box version of their original pitch made them more money, but as a game it was a total miss for me.

jayj

Banned
Had fun especially during pandemic when I played with my irl friends all day long (was in a very active clan and also a part of 3 other destiny communities on Discord). But all good things must come to an end and I bailed out as my irl friends started losing interest, plus I didn't really like the direction the game was going. Will def return if they ever do a Destiny 3 though!

6gdF52B.png
Seeing those profiles reminds me of what it was like when I logged into my old character I put a ton of time into only for them to be at the entry level 1600 these days. It's like playing the game now is like starting all over again, all that progress I made back then just doesn't mean anything anymore. I still can't even play a lot of content because the level requirements are huge, and leveling is such a slow grind.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have no thoughts on it. I did get that free bundle on PC, but my thought is do I want to install it or not?

I have yet to do so, because I’m not sure it’s worth getting into.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s fine but not my cup of tea. I have friends who love it though which is why I gave it a shot, but I’m not much of a multiplayer guy.

I do like the artwork for it though.

Heck the game is literally unplayable if you aren't leveled up to where they want you to be, with enemies being unable to be damaged until you hit a minimum level requirement. It's at the point where I am really wondering if the time it demands is worth the effort, and how much enjoyment I will get out of what it has to offer.

Yeah! They jacked up the difficulty with the Lightfall expansion and it ruined the game for me.

The grind to be able to take on end-game content became a fucking chore for veteran players, but for new players, it became borderline impenetrable.

I gave up on the game after Lightfall. Bungie fucked the whole gameplay experience up with that one expansion.

I'm not gonna waste any more of my precious time waiting for them to fix it. They fucked up in year 1 with the launch of D2 and took years to fix it. I'm not dedicating any more of my gaming life to a game that the dev doesn't know what they're doing 4-5 years post-launch.

You'd be better served playing something else that respects your time.

I love looter shooters, but I’ve never played a second of the Destiny franchise and I never will. As good as it sounds, it’s also everything I hate about modern gaming.

I absolutely loved Destiny until I didn't. It was wierd, it was like one day I stopped having fun and finally saw the game for the hamster wheel it actually was.

I loved the looting, I loved the shooting, I loved the seemingly deep lore. I loved the raids, I loved Trials, I loved Iron Banner.

One of my favorite gaming moments was going through Vault of Glass - after several heartbreaking runs where everyone was getting Vex Mythoclasts and Gjallarhorns I would get nothing. And when I finally opened a raid chest and received that sweet sweet Gjallarhorn at 4:30 in the morning I yelled at the top of my lungs. My wife wasn't even mad becaue she knew how much it meant to me. Using that thing in-game made you feel so cool.

Then they took it away. They promised this journey of 10 years where you could look at your loot and there would be a story behind it and for a time there was. Then they started vaulting everything. I remember getting a perfect roll for Fellwinter's Lie and they decided it was too fun and nerfed it into oblivion.

There were also fun ways of getting around limitations in the game. Two-manning Crota's End was challenging and fun and didn't require LFG or bugging people to joi your party. Then eventually they saw fit to make doing stuff like that impossible. It was weird how anti-creativity they were at times. Loot Cave was fun as well. It was harmless and kind of fun to mindlessly shoot at the cave with like 4 others just chilling. They took that away too. Just dumb.

I guess if I were to sum up my feelings about Destiny it was one step forward, two steps back CONSTANTLY. What good was grinding loot if it won't matter after the playerbase had too much unintended fun? Or vaulting paid parts of the game becuase they couldn't manage the bloat of the game. Just realling mind boggling decisions by Bungie and it's sad because I was all in on this concept. And they were determined to make me feel nothing about it - intentional or not. It's really sad because Destiny could have been one of the all-time great franchises.

Last edited:
Sunsetting content begins the downward spiral of destiny. That and when they went free to play to chase the whales like some Moby Dick wannabe.

Vindicator

Art Direction (Leviathan/Titan/Nessus), Sound Design (Outbreak) and Raids/Dungeons are stellar + the Gunplay makes it the most elegant FPS imo.
There's also useless crap like chasing all those Triumphs, Titles and ofc Eververse, still sitting on 1k Silver due to double dipping Shadowkeep iirc, which i'll never spend no matter how tempting some Ornament might be.

Schmendrick

The gunplay is great...everything else though always felt utterly generic to me.
I´d describe it as a polished but ultimately very boring treadmill GAAS.

Neolombax

Played since The Dark Below, up until the current season. The delay of The Final Shape plus other horrendous decisions from Bungie finally made me delete the game...and I dont know if I will re-install. Its a good game, and moreso if youre invested since the beginning. The Final Shape reveal bummed me out so damn much. No new subclass, just a remixed version of one existing subclass, 2 new enemy types (not even any new race), 1 new AR archetype and an extremely underwhelming destination? What a way to close the Dark and Light Saga.

Last edited:
Started out fun, but unfinished. Then it became addicting, while still feeling incomplete. Final stage felt toxic, repetitive and chaotic.

Top Bottom