• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some games where collecting different weapons is a focus

I'm looking for the best games where collecting different weapons is a big focus. I've played a lot of Destiny, Fortnite Save The World, Minecraft Dungeons, and right now I'm playing Remnant 2. For whatever reason I always enjoy games like this where I can grind for or find the hidden best weapons in games like this. So what else would be up my alley?

Bond007

Came in to say Destiny.
Seems you got that covered,

Ratchet and Clank has a focus on unique weaponry if you enjoy that genre/series

FatherFuzz

Neo Member
I'm looking for the best games where collecting different weapons is a big focus. I've played a lot of Destiny, Fortnite Save The World, Minecraft Dungeons, and right now I'm playing Remnant 2. For whatever reason I always enjoy games like this where I can grind for or find the hidden best weapons in games like this. So what else would be up my alley?
You mention Remnant 2 so I assume you have also played the first (2nd?) Remnant:From the Ashes.

Maybe look at Outriders. It is more akin to Destiny in that the loot and weapons are random.

The Division, Borderlands, Wildlands, and Breakpoint are all decent looter shooters.

still I feel like Remnant is in a league of its own. I can’t quite find a game like it and I so desperately want one.

GymWolf

You are gonna be occupied for a hot minute trying to find all the secret weapons in rem2, some are pretty crazy to find.

Next you should play bloodborne+dlc, that one doesn't have that many weapons but they are by far the best weapons fromsoft has ever made, quality over quantity.

I don't think Monster hunter is really a good choice, you can grind for materials by killing bosses multiple times but you don't actually explore to find new weapons, they are all there from the start, you just go and craft them.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

If you want to spend as little money as possible for a game with no microtransactions, Death Must Die is good. It's Vampire Survivors mixed with Diablo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Drakengard/Nier series….and as you upgrade them you get more of the weapon stories.
vQOy8Sd.jpg

Last edited:

Raven117

Man… original destiny was amazing with this. Each exotic (or close to it) could fundamentally change the way you played.

Now it’s mostly garbage.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
FIFA 22 too?

But seriously, I am playing AC Mirrage and it fits what you are looking for.
ronaldo's legs are legitimate weapons of mass destruction.
I think his legs are on a special do not interfere list from interpol

Last edited:

Hudo

Diablo II. It's also by very far the best Diablo.

Diablo II > Diablo.

Diablo 3 and 4 are not even worthy of making the ranking.

FatherFuzz

Neo Member
I think we need to understand what HoHo for breakfast wants. The games in their post are fundamentally different in the way weapons are obtained. Even my suggestions above are different from Remnant 2 cause I haven’t found a game quite like it in regards to how gear and weapons are found.

I briefly mentioned that Remnant stands alone compared to other loot shooters, but if you never played it you may not understand what I mean. So I will try and explain through comparison.

In games like borderlands and Destiny or any other traditional loot shooters, loot is a RNG drop. With the exception of a few set pieces from static missions, 100% of your weapons and armor are random. And in the case of Destiny, even the stats are random. Rarely do these guns feel unique or special.

Contrasting that to Remnant, where guns and melee weapons are crafted from the spoils of you boss kills or obtained by completing some hidden puzzle mechanic. The feeling of achievement for these weapons isn’t derived from the grind but your actual success in over coming the battle or puzzle. The weapon or armor itself has a bit of lore tied to it as well and you become part of that lore making the gun or sword or helmet feel unique. The items have no RNG tied to them, everyone can get the exact same weapon assuming they know how to.

If you can recommend a game with an item discovery akin to Remnant, I’ll listen. Cause Destiny, Borderlands, Diablo etc etc etc. do not compare in my opinion.

Beechos

I think we need to understand what HoHo for breakfast wants. The games in their post are fundamentally different in the way weapons are obtained. Even my suggestions above are different from Remnant 2 cause I haven’t found a game quite like it in regards to how gear and weapons are found.

I briefly mentioned that Remnant stands alone compared to other loot shooters, but if you never played it you may not understand what I mean. So I will try and explain through comparison.

In games like borderlands and Destiny or any other traditional loot shooters, loot is a RNG drop. With the exception of a few set pieces from static missions, 100% of your weapons and armor are random. And in the case of Destiny, even the stats are random. Rarely do these guns feel unique or special.

Contrasting that to Remnant, where guns and melee weapons are crafted from the spoils of you boss kills or obtained by completing some hidden puzzle mechanic. The feeling of achievement for these weapons isn’t derived from the grind but your actual success in over coming the battle or puzzle. The weapon or armor itself has a bit of lore tied to it as well and you become part of that lore making the gun or sword or helmet feel unique. The items have no RNG tied to them, everyone can get the exact same weapon assuming they know how to.

If you can recommend a game with an item discovery akin to Remnant, I’ll listen. Cause Destiny, Borderlands, Diablo etc etc etc. do not compare in my opinion.
I guess based on that zelda, fallout, elder scrolls and older rpgs where side quests and wondering off from the main "road" to discover these sort of things.

FatherFuzz

Neo Member
I guess based on that zelda, fallout, elder scrolls and older rpgs where side quests and wondering off from the main "road" to discover these sort of things.
Zelda is a good example. Though the weapons were all puzzle discovery and found in a chest. There is something about killing a giant fire breathing dragon of tree roots and turning its smoldering heart into a smg/flamethrower and then knowing that you can come back later in a second play through and g the dragon again, only cutting off his tail first, to receive a flaming sword.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
WARFRAME. You'll never get them all.

IAmRei

Legend of Zelda ToTK & BoTW
Doom Eternal
Darksiders 2

i want to use only certain weapons, but ended using all types because certain situation is designed that way. although You can still brute force it by Your fave weapon

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The only real answer to the OP is Borderlands.

A whole lot of responses here are just games people like that have nothing to do with what OP was looking for.

Last edited:
Dark Souls is the closest that I can think of.

Boss souls plus upgraded weapons (different weapons for different souls), crafted by different blacksmiths create unique weapons.

There are also rare weapons you can get by cutting Kalameet’s tail off (good luck!) for example.

There are also weapons hidden such as the magnificent giant club in the swamp.

bitbydeath

The only real answer to the OP is Borderlands.

A whole lot of responses here are just games people like that have nothing to do with what OP was looking for.
I’d put The Binding of Isaac above Borderlands, not only is it about collecting different weapons but they also combine.

So you could start with simple tear shooting:
Ns5O6Lu.gif

And evolve into an unstoppable killing machine:
tumblr_inline_nt98ikQBLE1rq0wgw_500.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Old ass Castlevania SOTN has tons of weapons and gear. And a lot of gear is specifically dropped by certain enemies. I never knew about Crissegrim until internet guides.

For extra challenge beyond collecting, beat the game with a shitty weapon.

Top Bottom