• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy... Bionicle summer leaks already happening 0_0
They look really bad in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who likes the summer 2015 wave (besides skull Scorpio) Ekimu is like, 90% trans blue lol. And that sheild is too small. The beasts remind me of the attack from below Hero factory wave, but not in the good way. They just look odd and goofy and their heads are way too big. Umarak the destroyer is really odd. I don't really know what to make of him. He might look better in HD and with the inevitable prints (but probably stickers) on his chest though. Hopefully they all look better in clearer images but as it stands I can only really see myself buying ekimu at the moment for a bunch of trans blu parts.

Please tell me more. How is the GB HQ from a build perspective? I've purposely avoided looking really closely at the interior so I can be a little surprised.. I've seen it, but I worried the build may be lots of stacking. How was it?

Well, there is obviously tons of stacking red walls, and you'll grow to hate the alternate grey bricks around the window. But most of the time it's interleaved with building all kinds of fancy stuff on the inside, so it happens in the background. Like on some modulars, the repetition is what ultimately makes it gorgerous too.

I'll set up the photo equipment and take loads of pictures once the bank is done.

They look really bad in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who likes the summer 2015 wave (besides skull Scorpio) Ekimu is like, 90% trans blue lol. And that sheild is too small. The beasts remind me of the attack from below Hero factory wave, but not in the good way. They just look odd and goofy and their heads are way too big. Umarak the destroyer is really odd. I don't really know what to make of him. Hopefully they all look better in clearer images but as it stands I can only really see myself buying ekimu at the moment for a bunch of trans blu parts.

I agree with all this but I'm being optimistic as the 2016 original prelim leaks looked like shit but got better with the final designs. Overall though so far I don't like what I see. It's nice though that we finally will get legit infected masks now (trans green/black mix) for the Toa.

But yeah not feeling it and Umarak has a neat design but not fitting when compared to OG Umarak.

Please post your opinion of the sign when you're done with it. I know I've ranted about it before but...man did I feel it stressed the elements way too much.
Is it the blue 1x6 and 1x4s here that add the stress or the 2x16 blue plate below the jumpers? Or something else? I don't have it, just like looking at modular instructions.
K1C2zvf.jpg

boltz

Captain America: Civil War sets (back of the box):

MhiblvI.jpg

vS4eKHU.jpg

ld0wVIl.jpg

Man, the super hero sets don't appeal to me at all. I mean the minifigs are cool, but most of the vehicles are just really uninspiring and bland because it seems like Lego has to really stretch to create sets for these characters.

On another note, I just got an AT-RT (75002) and while the finished unit looks good, the bricks felt really light and cheap while I was building it. Was it just me or were bricks from back then less robust?

Lastly, I also got an AT-AP, and it's one of those sets that just looks more much awesome in person than in pictures - I love how chunky and imposing it looks. As iconic as the AT-AT is, it's always looked fragile to me and it just doesn't have the same presence that the AT-AP has.

I mainly buy modulars for display, but the interior details are super-important to me because they're what makes the actual build process so much fun. Like watching as stuff takes shape inside and having no idea what you're building and then that moment of realisation is just absolutely the best and is the reason I fell in love with the line, along with the little internal builds like the pool table in the Detective's Office.

Looks like I bought the Sea Cow just in time, blimey! Had been holding off for years because of the price and in the end just said "sod it" and bought it a few months back when double VIP happened in the UK. Now I see it's gone from the store completely.

teeny

I mainly buy modulars for display, but the interior details are super-important to me because they're what makes the actual build process so much fun. Like watching as stuff takes shape inside and having no idea what you're building and then that moment of realisation is just absolutely the best and is the reason I fell in love with the line, along with the little internal builds like the pool table in the Detective's Office.

Looks like I bought the Sea Cow just in time, blimey! Had been holding off for years because of the price and in the end just said "sod it" and bought it a few months back when double VIP happened in the UK. Now I see it's gone from the store completely.

I agree. I only have the Parisian Restaurant but the story bits and inside builds make the whole thing infinitely more memorable. I think the modulars need both elements to really work - though I'm not experienced enough with them to determine where the balance is!

I wish I had done the same as you regarding the Sea Cow - that it's now gone forever out of my budget stings a wee bit.

Osahi

Same here. And I absolutely LOVE the ministories they have going now. Makes it al the more fun when somebody comes over, admires the street (which stands in our living room as a mantle piece) and then you can explain the little story inside. They go from being impressed, to being flabbergasted.

I do like the cinema though, as I am a big movie buff and I absolutely love the way it looks. It's such a great corner piece. Could have used some more interiour detailing though.

Maengun1

Man, the super hero sets don't appeal to me at all. I mean the minifigs are cool, but most of the vehicles are just really uninspiring and bland because it seems like Lego has to really stretch to create sets for these characters.

I feel the same. It took me a while to figure out why the superhero sets almost never interest me, because I generally like the movies they're based on (never been a comic reader though), but it eventually hit me: I'm drawn to impressive or iconic building design. The superhero sets are almost always a handful of minifigs that people really want, and then a bland jeep or truck or something that, separate from the figs, doesn't really look like anything. I like minifigures as much as the next guy, but I'm not buying anything over 20 bucks just for minifigs. I'm sure they're great sets for playing with, but they generally aren't interesting build-wise or display-wise IMO.

The only superhero set I've ever bought, actually, was the hulkbuster last year. That thing was cool. And I was tempted by the Avengers Tower for obvious reasons but even it didn't sway me into a purchase.

teeny

I feel the same. It took me a while to figure out why the superhero sets almost never interest me, because I generally like the movies they're based on (never been a comic reader though), but it eventually hit me: I'm drawn to impressive or iconic building design. The superhero sets are almost always a handful of minifigs that people really want, and then a bland jeep or truck or something that, separate from the figs, doesn't really look like anything. I like minifigures as much as the next guy, but I'm not buying anything over 20 bucks just for minifigs. I'm sure they're great sets for playing with, but they generally aren't interesting build-wise or display-wise IMO.

The only superhero set I've ever bought, actually, was the hulkbuster last year. That thing was cool. And I was tempted by the Avengers Tower for obvious reasons but even it didn't sway me into a purchase.

I agree, though I am partial to well designed vehicles/ships. I have the Milano and the Ant-Man sets in my collection and I am grateful that there is not a lot of super hero stuff that peaks my interest :) There are the occasional iconic sets, but it is not much.

Saying that, I did buy the Knowhere Escape Mission set for the figs as I wanted the whole crew alongside the Milano :p

So... Ewok Village is gone as well or...?

Lego store had it as shipping on the 15th, then changed it to Feb. 11

Probable that after that date it will just say sold out right?

It's been OOP for quite some time. It's going to be extremely difficult to find one now at MSRP.

Nowhere to be found around here. It was retired late last year.

I know this is going to be the set I regret not buying. Always loved it, great display piece, huge build, it's such a unique and crazy ship, The LEGO Movie is awesome. I just had so many other sets I wanted to get before they were gone that it always got pushed back. I thought it would have a two year shelf but it did not.

Sea Cow was a beast. Just large and magnificent. I still can't bring myself to dismantle it.

Darn it, I was holding out and it was supposed to be my next big purchase once I had the funds. That's unfortunate.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So... Ewok Village is gone as well or...?

Lego store had it as shipping on the 15th, then changed it to Feb. 11

Probable that after that date it will just say sold out right?

That's usually how it goes. You can still order it but most likely any new and current orders will just be cancelled. I had ordered on on the 1st and it said shipping on the 19th, now it says 11th of February. Same thing happened when I ordered the Haunted House, shipping date moved twice, then it was cancelled.

Its time to talk about my current favourite 2016 release, you guys and gals.

31050 the Corner Deli

And oh man do I love this set. It is cute as hell. Not a huge build, but I've always enjoyed the way they've tried to apply an almost macro-modular set to some of the Creator buildings the past few years. I also like that they designed a building that works both closed and opened, with extra sidewalk when its opened at a 90 degree angle like in the pic above. Its not to scale with the modulars, but it still doesn't look entirely out of place with them:

This set has really made me want to pick up the Cafe & Bike Shop set from 2014 before its price jumps up (now that its retired), to go along side it.

Yeah we have the Bike Shop one, because my fiancee loves these Creator sets. She almost got the Deli when we were at the store the other day. I have no doubt she gets it next time we see it. Glad to see you liked it.

Never knew there was a toy shop/grocery store. We might need to get that :lol

As for the line as a whole, I prefer these to the modulars, mainly because those huge sets turn me off with the lack of special minifigures. They're all the same with standard smiling faces. Not so good.

Toxi

Banned
Crazy... Bionicle summer leaks already happening 0_0
tumblr_o0yvlphRoE1tsesg2o1_1280.jpg
Ekimu looks like he's stepping on Umarak's original mask. Hmmm...

It seems like trans yellow or trans neon green is going to be the highlight color for the villains this year, similar to how trans orange was the highlight color for the villains last year.

Ekimu looks like he's stepping on Umarak's original mask. Hmmm...

It seems like trans yellow or trans neon green is going to be the highlight color for the villains this year, similar to how trans orange was the highlight color for the villains last year.

I hope trans yellow as there's not much for constraction parts in trans yellow

Ponn

Banned
Oh wow, Jang posted his review of the big Ninjago set in the next wave, Misfortune something or other. I love it, it has everything I do love about this theme in it, steampunk feel, airship warfare. love the VTOL type function on it. I also like the color choices they are going for, helps give it that steampunk feel.

ghostmind

Interesting that LEGO is playing fast and loose with their own design rules with the 2016 Ninjago theme. JANG has noticed this on two sets so far, and he wonders if it slipped past their internal review process.

Interesting that LEGO is playing fast and loose with their own design rules with the 2016 Ninjago theme. JANG has noticed this on two sets so far, and he wonders if it slipped past their internal review process.

How is the piece connected? I couldn't quite work out from the video what was "wrong" with it.

Speaking of weird Lego stuff...

My modular bank had two white 1x8s instead of the two white 1x6s that were required for the build. It was during the first floor build. I had to raid my kids Lego stash to find replacements.

Just wanted to point that out in case anyone else runs into the same issue. You're not crazy!

Edit: added color of pieces

Ouch! Having built GB HQ, Big Bang Theory, Rey's Speeder, the Chaos Chariot and so far half of the Brick Bank, plus some MOCing, all in one week, I think I'm developing Lego thumb. Both my thumbs are kind of sore from all that clicking...

My modular bank had two 1x8s instead of the two 1x6s that were required for the build. It was during the first floor build. I had to raid my kids Lego stash to find replacements.

Just wanted to point that out in case anyone else runs into the same issue. You're not crazy!
When I was building my Lego wall E it was missing a 2x4 grey plate and two grey 1x2 double technic pin hole bricks. Luckily I had the spare parts but it was really weird. I wonder if they're having quality control issues latley

When I was building my Lego wall E it was missing a 2x4 grey plate and two grey 1x2 double technic pin hole bricks. Luckily I had the spare parts but it was really weird. I wonder if they're having quality control issues latley

Based on anecdotal posts and my own experiences I would say yes. It also isn't lately, it's just becoming more frequent lately. It's no secret LEGO factories are at max production capacity and there are newer factories in other countries that probably aren't up to the standards of their old factories. The many leaks of minifigs is another example of LEGO's growing pains.

I'm wondering the same thing.

I set those bank pieces aside and expected the 1x6's to appear in another bag during the build, but no luck!

TheFuzz

Told myself I would stick to my modular/superhero themes only.

I lied.

King's Mech bought. I hope the hype is real.

Also, manager at the Atlanta store said the Tumbler isn't retired and their store was told more were coming. Interesting note, two modulars are scheduled for retirement in December, and neither of them are the Pet Shop. Take it for what it's worth.

ghostmind

Was everyone this into Ninjago when it came out? Didn't seem it.

A lot of us were just coming out of our dark age when Ninjago first released, and the original LEGO Thread, started by wetwired, was still in its infancy when Ninjago was on their second wave of their first year.

I was introduced to the theme early, because my son got really into Ninjago - in fact the theme is what finally pulled me out of my dark age.

I have almost all of the sets from the first two years (Skulkins and Serpentine), but fell off in the third year when my son moved on to other interests. Since then I've only been picking up the occasional set, but the theme itself has seen a lot of improvement in the last year.

3N16MA

Banned
Told myself I would stick to my modular/superhero themes only.

I lied.

King's Mech bought. I hope the hype is real.

Also, manager at the Atlanta store said the Tumbler isn't retired and their store was told more were coming. Interesting note, two modulars are scheduled for retirement in December, and neither of them are the Pet Shop. Take it for what it's worth.

The Tumbler looks done at this point. Red Five was retired and I was able to snag one as my local LEGO store got one last shipment.

Pet Shop is going to hit the 5 year mark this May and already had a more recent modular retire before it. I could see Palace Cinema perhaps going at the end of the year along with Pet Shop. I don't see Parisian Restaurant or Detective's Office being retired that early.

It is also telling that Pet Shop did not get the new Creator Expert box redesign.

boltz

I agree, though I am partial to well designed vehicles/ships. I have the Milano and the Ant-Man sets in my collection and I am grateful that there is not a lot of super hero stuff that peaks my interest :) There are the occasional iconic sets, but it is not much.

Saying that, I did buy the Knowhere Escape Mission set for the figs as I wanted the whole crew alongside the Milano :p

The Milano is an exception to this, and it really stands out amongst the Super hero sets.

Was everyone this into Ninjago when it came out? Didn't seem it.

King's Mech is a Nexo Knight set. :) Mechs in Ninjago are pretty good too.

Saw 3 episode with kids and it wasn't as good as the first 2 episodes IMO. I still think theme will do much better than Chima with kids.

Ponn

Banned
I'm not crazy about the theme, but the part and colors are useful..

And the Mech is basically the closest I'll get to a Pacific Rim-like jaeger.

I decided to open up my Ninjago Titan Mech battle set today and I started to build it. I'm having one of my crappy days though so I had to stop but Zanes mech looks very Jaegar like to me. My only real complain is i wish there were more joints. I may see if I can pillage (meo-yarrr) some ball joints from other sets to make that happen.

My modular bank had two white 1x8s instead of the two white 1x6s that were required for the build. It was during the first floor build. I had to raid my kids Lego stash to find replacements.

Edit: added color of pieces

Nonsense, I thought. Lego has better QA than that.

And in my Brick Bank, a 1x3 white brick was missing from the last bag, replaced with a 1x2x2 black slope...

Either way, I'm done with the bank, and pretty much spent in terms of building Lego for now. Building essentially 2,5 modulars in a week was not a good idea, but I blame the release schedule. Pictures and reviews will come tomorrow.

Nonsense, I thought. Lego has better QA than that.

And in my Brick Bank, a 1x3 white brick was missing from the last bag, replaced with a 1x2x2 black slope...

Either way, I'm done with the bank, and pretty much spent in terms of building Lego for now. Building essentially 2,5 modulars in a week was not a good idea, but I blame the release schedule. Pictures and reviews will come tomorrow.

The fact that my two remaining pieces were larger than what I should have had easily showed it was a Lego error to me. It would be pretty much impossible to misuse a 1x6 in place of a 1x8 because it would take several pieces to make the error.

And I'm with you. After immediately following the ferris wheel with the bank, I need a lego break.

The fact that my two remaining pieces were larger than what I should have had easily showed it was a Lego error to me. It would be pretty much impossible to misuse a 1x6 in place of a 1x8 because it would take several pieces to make the error.

And I'm with you. After immediately following the ferris wheel with the bank, I need a lego break.

Oh yeah, the Ferris Wheel nearly broke me, but then again I was rather ill and weak at the time.

Ponn

Banned
That new Rebels trailer has me hyped. they really need to keep on the ball with the Lego sets for that show. Lots of figs id like.

teeny

That new Rebels trailer has me hyped. they really need to keep on the ball with the Lego sets for that show. Lots of figs id like.

Seconded. I really wish the show was available somewhere other than Sky. I'm really enjoying all of the SW content at the moment.

More of the new SW sets are showing up on shelves. I grabbed the X-Wing microfighter at TRU tonight.

They also had the Quicksilver set on sale at $39.99 (down from $59.99) so I picked it up. It appears to be a TRU-wide sale so if you are on the fence about this terribly overpriced set, maybe this is an incentive?

Also: so much for a hiatus.

Yeah, I know, I was asking if Ninjago was as popular as Nexo when it first started.

My bad. It was around the time I was coming out of the dark ages. The minifigs and sets definitely caught my eye.in the beginning. Dragons, Dojo, and Fire Temple looked good. If I got in a few months earlier I would have gotten all the dragons.

Rootbeer

Banned
More of the new SW sets are showing up on shelves. I grabbed the X-Wing microfighter at TRU tonight.

They also had the Quicksilver set on sale at $39.99 (down from $59.99) so I picked it up. It appears to be a TRU-wide sale so if you are on the fence about this terribly overpriced set, maybe this is an incentive?

Also: so much for a hiatus.
!!!

Hope they hit the USA real soon. I saw that J2G reviewed the Star Wars Homing Spider Droid (75142) that magically found its way on toysrus.com briefly, so they are definitely getting into the hands of retailers.

TheFuzz

PAB at Sugarloaf Mills was awesome today. Loaded up on 1x4 dark bley and 1x2 light bley, along with some 1x1 snot bricks and plenty of 1x2 clear bricks. All great for castle and modular MOCs. Threw a few fence pieces in as well.

Experien

$7 for a bunch of knock-off TFA minifigures (& Sabine with helmet).

Tie pilot's mask a little off, missing a hand, but otherwise I don't think I can complain. FO Officer and BB-8 are the best of the group. And the shipping was a lot quicker than what they estimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom