• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

Just out of curiosity, I thought it might be fun to go back and look at the rain effects in one of the better looking racers of last gen - Gran Turismo 6.

Just an aside, this is not meant to slam another developer or game or anything of the sort. Just a little reminder of last gen versus the current one and how DC is a pretty good example of that generational leap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2drwSpimqnA

If anyone feels this is an unfair comparison or a bad example, feel free to post one of your own.
That's a terrible comparison. If a comparison doesn't include screenshots Assassin's Creed Unity running on a high spec PC it just isn't worth our time.

nasanu

Banned
They need to balance the visibility in all the camera views. Anyone who plays in 'bumper cam' cant see much in the rain, the interior views with a wiper and the external views have much more visibility and give an unfair advantage.

And really, there is little difference in grip in heavy rain. Far. far too easy. Give us more than just the look of driving in the rain please!

But kudos to evo, I didn't believe they would keep the stable framerate. The rain isn't perfect and there are glitches here and there, but more often than not its glorious.

Sun comes out from the clouds.

UmTHIFQ.gif

Add side mud track and give me buggy and I have Motorstorm PS4.

Does the time lapse setting govern how quickly the weather changes when you have it set to dynamic or is that only for the time of day?

Just out of curiosity, I thought it might be fun to go back and look at the rain effects in one of the better looking racers of last gen - Gran Turismo 6..

Well there is this one, a certain upcoming sim on a GTX 970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nY36UMuQBM

or this one cockpit view with wipers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LMFEdb_y0

driveclub in the rain looks a heap more realistic.
The latter one shows raindrops that don't move after appearing, show up in weird layers, and fade away magically outside the swept area.

Well my intention wasn't to compare games tit for tat, but rather console generations. PC's don't really coincide in the same way.

That's a terrible comparison. If a comparison doesn't include screenshots Assassin's Creed Unity running on a high spec PC it just isn't worth our time.
Why would I compare a game like Unity to a racing game from the same generation?

I don't think people are understanding what I was going for. Let's just drop it. We're just gonna end up derailing the thread over shit that doesn't matter.

driveclub in the rain looks appalling more realistic.
The latter one shows raindrops that don't move after appearing, show up in weird layers, and fade away magically outside the swept area.

Yup, Drive Club has the weather crown. Project Cars is 60, but it is still an interesting comparison.

AuRoN89

Banned
Yup, Drive Club has the weather crown. Project Cars is 60, but it is still an interesting comparison.

considering the fact that it's a solid 30 FPS with not even a single drop, i'm sure the game can run without any problem at 40/45 FPS (if optimized even more)

Waveset

Looks so good I might have to change my driving view from bonnet to cockpit.

And they've added right stick for accelerate/brake, I assume this also works when remote playing on the Vita?

Well my intention wasn't to compare games tit for tat, but rather console generations. PC's don't really coincide in the same way.

Why would I compare a game like Unity to a racing game from the same generation?

I don't think people are understanding what I was going for. Let's just drop it. We're just gonna end up derailing the thread over shit that doesn't matter.
I was just being facetious. Your comparison was fine. :)
I was just making fun of certain individuals from the Uncharted 4 threads. :)

I think he was being sarcastic and referring to the thread about AC unity
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933547&highlight=unity
Edit:
Beaten :)

The driving model is excellent.

Hah, no it's not. The driving model is terrible in every possible way; nothing about it is as it should be. I don't know what feeling they were going for during initial development, but what they landed on is decidedly lacking.

cheesekao

He was being facetious. There was some kinda stupid shit that went down in the uncharted 4 thread.

edit: crap.

Mung

Hah, no it's not. The driving model is terrible in every possible way; nothing about it is as it should be. I don't know what feeling they were going for during initial development, but what they landed on is decidedly lacking.

Completely wrong. The driving is great in this game.

benzy

driveclub in the rain looks appalling more realistic.

Yeah, the rain beads and build up in pcars looks really strange. Even in the first vid with the rain on the camera lens, it's way too thick and unnatural, the F1 games did a much much better job in this area. In cockpit cam in the second vid, the shape of the raindrops themself just looks really off, they don't even look like rain beads imo.

They need to balance the visibility in all the camera views. Anyone who plays in 'bumper cam' cant see much in the rain, the interior views with a wiper and the external views have much more visibility and give an unfair advantage.

I actually find the bumper cam rain build-up pretty great and I haven't had much of a problem with it. I know I don't speak for everyone though.

Vaga

driveclub in the rain looks a heap more realistic.

I'm sorry but weather effects in PC are atrocious to say the least. I almost barfed when I saw the "interior" in the second video. I doubt they can pull the level of detail Evo did.

I guess Driveclub has spoiled me for years now.

Drive-by trolling, get the fuck out.

whitehawk

Banned
Just out of curiosity, I thought it might be fun to go back and look at the rain effects in one of the better looking racers of last gen - Gran Turismo 6.

Just an aside, this is not meant to slam another developer or game or anything of the sort. Just a little reminder of last gen versus the current one and how DC is a pretty good example of that generational leap.

If anyone feels this is an unfair comparison or a bad example, feel free to post one of your own.
I think it would be better to compare to PGR4. Both games came out rather early in their consoles lifecycle, and they are both a solid 30fps, and they are a similar style of racer.

http://youtu.be/tOpYWTRvRBc

Ok the moving goalposts move on.
we're back to the driving model now.

I think they were going for the feeling of being
a) immediately accessible
b) fun to play
c) enough depth to satisfy skilled players who want to beat times by split seconds
d) sense of speed

and on those four counts they succeed

If it claimed to be a sim, it would be a different kind of game. Less game. More work. Niche audience.

So is this the OT now? Haha. Love reading all the great impressions, what a great game

Nah, the OT is in the community section of gaming.

Driveclub OT 2

After this thread fizzles out you guys should visit. Its a pretty friendly place to talk about the game and it could always use some new blood.

I think it would be better to compare to PGR4. Both games came out rather early in their consoles lifecycle, and they are both a solid 30fps, and they are a similar style of racer.

http://youtu.be/tOpYWTRvRBc
Very fair point. I hate to admit it but I forgot about PGR4.

benzy

GT5 was actually the first game to have the physics-based rain drops. It looked great in the supersampled trailers Polyphony did for the game but the final in-game result was really low-res and looked weird, not to mention the framerate instability. In GT6 the rain bead physics are still there, but they toned down the amount of rain beads considerably, sometimes you barely notice them. Makes me wonder what Polyphony has up their sleeve for GT7.

gt5-rain_audi0uxp.gif

iqowef50mjprax4uak.gif

wOLW1EK.gif

The cool thing about DC's raindrops is that they actually lump together to form cascades of waterflow and they separate as well, whereas in GT they were only always individual beads.

jahplo.gif

Wrong. Driving in this game feels so good. The one saving grace it had from day one.

Nyx

It is.

Opinions man...

It's the best damn racing game ever made, and I don't care if that says all about me and nothing about the game, for me it is and that's that.

danowat

Banned
Stunningly gorgeous to look at, truly next gen stuff.

If Project cars looks like this, and manages to pull off a convincing sim-style driving model, then that will be amazing.

Raist

Banned
Ok guys, I made a comparison from vanilla DC (launch) to the patch that came out today to see if there's been any change in IQ for gameplay. It's not a perfect comparison but I tried to get the lighting and positioning as close as possible.

Here's the original shot I took back in October:

iby9lq1YnLVkT2.jpg

And the one I took today:

ibsfbsUZbaIoQj.jpg

I honestly don't see much difference but I do feel that the game...looks better...post weather patch. Not sure what it is exactly.

Huh, some subtle track details changed too.
Like, large rocks in the background are not covered in grass so much anymore, but there's an extra patch of grass next to the road on the other hand.
Is there some element of random variation in these details?

I'm recording a long video of dynamic precipitation and 60x compressed time, anyone dare to speed it up for some time lapsed forage of the weather? I haven't the technical capabilities for it.

Has anyone replied to this? That'd be a cool thing to see :3

drotahorror

Nice opinion. For me, DriveClub has the best handling I've ever encountered in a racing game.

Vroadstar

It is.

Opinions man...

It's the best damn racing game ever made, and I don't care if that says all about me and nothing about the game, for me it is and that's that.

I don't think it's about you, but it's more about him

Halo thread:

Jesus guys, the game has been out for mere hours. I literally never got to play Driveclub online before selling it a week ago.

I'm just terribly impatient, and I'd much rather play a somewhat broken but mostly functional game now than suffer through a 2015 delay.

Bought an Xbox One on CL last Wednesday, the MCC finished installing Thursday nightish and I put in a solid 4-5 hours of multi across several playlists. Didn't have any disconnects, overly long wait times or uneven teams.

Outside of GAF, most people don't go out of their way to demand refunds for games that are mostly functional. Not saying the MCC was released in an acceptable state, but most people don't care.

For someone who doesn't own a PS4 anymore and defending to high heavens Halo:MCC online issues even stating that he never had any problem online and clearly he's ok to play a broken game as long it's on the One but if it's a broken game on Four he is quick to sell.

And now that the previously broken game that he sold is working he now went to finding the most stupid fault... the driving model - the one saving grace it had from day one.

Halo thread:

For someone who doesn't own a PS4 anymore and defending to high heavens Halo:MCC online issues even stating that he never had any problem online and clearly he's ok to play a broken game as long it's on the One but if it's a broken game on Four he is quick to sell.

And now that the previously broken game that he sold is working he now went to finding the most stupid fault... the driving model - the one saving grace it had from day one.

lol

Putty

Halo thread:

Detective GAF strikes once more.

danowat

Banned
Nice opinion. For me, DriveClub has the best handling I've ever encountered in a racing game.

Explain? Best? as in what?, most realistic?

Rather than praise or slate something with hyperbole, I wish people would justify their reasoning behind their opinions.

Famassu

Don't blame the game for yourself sucking.

Top Bottom