• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying she's lying.

Thats what any intelligent person would be doing after leaving a company and looking for future employment while an entire industry has the spotlight pointed them.
That /v/ post alone doesn't prove anything and its probably bullshit, but couple that along with the ign "forced out by Druckmann and Straley" and it becomes a bit more difficult to just ignore.
Especially with the timing of the /v/ post and her departure.

StuBurns

Banned
They did say they were trying to decide between a new IP and TLoU2 for their next game. Maybe both of those projects got greenlighted and the one that she pitched didn't.

I also don't see why they would be called in to help a troubled project when Sony's statement said the development timetable for the game has not changed.
Maybe this is why it hasn't changed.

Even if her next game got rejected, UC4 isn't finished, I'd think she'd leave after it was if that were the case.

Considering the writing in The Last of Us is miles ahead of anything in the Uncharted 1/2/3, I think they'll be just fine. Like I said a few pages ago the last great thing Hennig wrote was the Reaver series.
Completely different games. Uncharted had great dialogue that fit what the game was trying to achieve. You cant really compare the two.

Juliet's 8½ Spirits;103265321 said:
Thats what any intelligent person would be doing after leaving a company and looking for future employment while an entire industry has the spotlight pointed them.
That /v/ post alone doesn't prove anything and its probably bullshit, but couple that along with the ign "forced out by Druckmann and Straley" and it becomes a bit more difficult to just ignore.
Especially with the timing of the /v/ post and her departure.

Right...
Straight from the horse's mouth and you still don't believe her.
She's no longer with ND, why would she have to lie now?

maxiell

IGN has a writer on staff who wrote the definitive history of Naughty Dog and visits the studio regularly, I'm pretty sure they have good sources on this.

IGN has a writer on staff who wrote the definitive history of Naughty Dog and visits the studio regularly, I'm pretty sure they have good sources on this.
while ign is ign, they wouldn't drop bombs on specific individuals and name them without enough good reason to back it up.

Vizzeh

Banned

The fact that it was not Colin Moriarty that wrote it, gives the article less weight imo. Atleast the speculative part.

Linkenski

Banned
I never understood this junk. IGN have good staff on their team who cover games really well.

The whole "You can't spell "ignorant" without" thing is a hivemind mentality. A lot of people have the misconception that IGN only praises the "popular" games.

This is one time when Metacritic scores shouldn't be taken seriously.

Outside of personal preference, there's no argument for Uncharted to be a better written games than TLOU.

Yes there IS. Because Uncharted 2's lines were so clearly written for the voice-actors who delivered them, it was perfect synergy. I'm not saying that the PLOT of the Uncharted games is better than plot of The Last of Us, but to imagine a tone, to imagine the places, the action and get all of that fit perfectly in your imagination, make voices come to live and then... THEN have team of 100+ people make your vision come to life, direct them there with having a sensitivity for when to let new ideas from co-workers into your vision and when not... honestly I think that's harder than making the Last of Us.

There are a lot of good movies about the WWII some with action, some that make you cry, some that give you hope, but to invent indiana jones and star wars. What would YOU rather have to do, write and creative-direct the next indiana jones or write a good war movie set in Berlin 1945?

(Also: someone should do that, write a WWII FPS that is DEEP. With hard choices, and desperate moments not just for your fellow soldiers but also for the civilians.... where war is not video-game fun, with good mechanics but the game still isn't "fun" to play)

Jonboy

Very disturbing? lol
Depends on how you interpret it (which is part of the reason they need to clarify), but yeah I would personally find it pretty disturbing if those two were able to force her out. If it's creative differences...fine. But it's a shame they couldn't work out whatever was going on given their history together.

i didn't know walking dead is considered amazing writing.
The Walking Dead game and TLoU are two of the best written games ever. They shame almost everything else. You probably don't visit many Bioshock and QD threads, because this sentiment is quite well represented in those.

They also just had (2 weeks ago or so) Druckman in studio for the recording of the Last of Us Left Behind spoilercast.

Manu

i didn't know walking dead is considered amazing writing.

Huh. Let's rewind a bit.

what a bummer. i am playing tlou right now and so far i haven't seen all the amazing writing everyone's been talking about.

tlou is nowhere near as compelling as the road. it played more like a season of walking dead.

or without the walking dead tv show because let's face it, tlou was made for that audience, not for the audience of the road.

In regards to a post about Hennig's leave being a big loss for Uncharted fans:

but dude the grittiness, visceral, hope, journey, despair, make the players feel the feels, no?

and then uc5 will be about the emotional journey, the connection, the feeling of desperation and survival blah blah blah.

oh i'm sorry i forgot we can only shit on amy in this thread and the others are untouchable.

Dude. Stop.

EL CUCO

The fact that it was not Colin Moriarty that wrote it, gives the article less weight imo. Atleast the speculative part.

Agreed. Mitch D is a turd and had plenty of nice things to say about GAF a couple weeks back, but that's OT. The way that this was reported was low class if you ask me.

If Colin would've wrote it, I'd be less inclined to be critical of the "source". But no less disappointed of the tactic being used for clicks. The fact that Mr. mitch has been spamming the article on twitter with no update makes it repulsive.

cameron

Well presumably they have anonymous sources. This happens all the time in reporting, what's the good in just waiting for the official statement

The main story here is Amy leaving the studio. Reasons for leaving from a source (unless the source was Amy or a senior staff; either would know better than to leak info) would be nothing more than gossip based on partial information of internal studio politics. It's quite lame to drop names in a situation like this when you can't verify it. Citing "creative differences" is a typical response that works well, and would've worked here.

Basch

I will follow her wherever she goes. Amazing writer! :)

That said, I hope Naughty Dog can acquire some more writing talent, because she was a big reason I actually cared about their latest games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe this is why it hasn't changed.

Even if her next game got rejected, UC4 isn't finished, I'd think she'd leave after it was if that were the case.
I don't know, I just don't want to villify anyone without facts. Dyer is also one of the IGN writers with the least credibility so I don't want to give too much credit to his choice of words until we get more info.

Pennywise

Juliet's 8½ Spirits;103267301 said:
You don't talk shit about a company you have just recently left, it hurts your chances of being employed in the future.

Have you even read the claim on 4chan ?
Like she would say so much bullshit...

There might have been tension between Amy and Druckmann, but that criticism on 4chan is just pure bullshit.

The status quo with the anonymous source is bad enough, but involving stupid 4chan bullshit is taking the spin to a whole new level.

Kiant

Agreed. Mitch D is a turd and had plenty of nice things to say about GAF a couple weeks back, but that's OT. The way that this was reported was low class if you ask me.

If Colin would've wrote it, I'd be less inclined to be critical of the "source". But no less disappointed of the tactic being used for clicks. The fact that Mr. mitch has been spamming the article on twitter with no update makes it repulsive.

Ah Mitch D, this is the guy who said that unless your TV is 50 inches + you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Seems there's some shakeups going on at the studios lately, hopefully it results in a positive and not a negative, fresh ideas and all that.

I'm not sure if the fact that Colin's name isn't on the top of the article takes any weight away from it for me. The IGN website seems to have a pretty great relationship with Naughty Dog overall. Druckmann and Straley have been at the site numerous times for interviews for TLoU. I've seen plenty of on-site interviews with Nolan North (Drake), Troy Baker (Joel), and Ashley Johnson (Ellie) at this point as well. There are also a number of "media-facing" people at the company such as PR, Marketing, Community Managers, etc. That's a pretty big number of potential sources right there and it doesn't even account for personal relationships between Naughty Dog employees and IGN employees.

Any validity concerns I have regarding the information trace back to who the source of the info leak is and what his or her relationship with Hennig is/was. The IGN article has the words forced out in quotations, implying that their source used that term verbatim. Unfortunately, what "forced out" looks like to one person could be completely different from what another person would view as "forced out," especially when personal relationships and point of view are taken into account.

The whole "You can't spell "ignorant" without" thing is a hivemind mentality. A lot of people have the misconception that IGN only praises the "popular" games.

The idea that any website has it's own singular identity or agenda is usually a hivemind mentality as well. There are a lot of different people, personalities, and tastes at big sites like IGN and any one game would probably elicit a completely different review from each individual writer.

Guymelef

Damn, I can't imagine a ND games without her script. Sound awful.

tumblr_inline_mrnu860mEY1qz4rgp.gif

Capella

I don't really feel one way or the other about Mitch but I noticed him spamming it too. I don't know if he's trying to get a response that way or what but it kind of comes off as trying to get more clicks, especially since he wrote it.

Psykoboy2

Usually when someone is let go from a position they aren't allowed to talk about it, and I imagine that is the case here.

The best you can likely hope for is a press statement from Sony or Naughty Dog on the issue, and even then I doubt that will quell anyone's mind from wondering what really happened.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know, I just don't want to villify anyone without facts. Dyer is also one of the IGN writers with the least credibility so I don't want to give too much credit to his choice of words until we get more info.
Indeed, I'm not saying it is true, at the very worst, I don't believe there was any malicious intent, I don't believe they demanded she go, I imagine for whatever reason she felt ostracized or slighted due to some critical decision.

Blobbers

Don't know if it's been posted here, but it's fun to speculate.

x1lNIYC.jpg

True or not, I'd agree completely that TLoU DLC was shameless pandering and did not have to be made, and even if it did, the direction they took it, especially at the end was so bloody unneeded.

Don't get me wrong, I love Naughty Dog, but this DLC left a bad feeling in my mouth, because even though it had amazing atmosphere and cool gunplay, the obvious pandering just killed it for me.

Also, if true, Neil Druckman can go
suck an eggg

Don't know if it's been posted here, but it's fun to speculate.

x1lNIYC.jpg

True or not, I'd agree completely that TLoU DLC was shameless pandering and did not have to be made, and even if it did, the direction they took it, especially at the end was so bloody unneeded.

Don't get me wrong, I love Naughty Dog, but this DLC left a bad feeling in my mouth, because even though it had amazing atmosphere and cool gunplay, the obvious pandering just killed it for me.

Also, if true, Neil Druckman can go
suck an eggg
She shut this down already. So probably not true. The timing is funny though.

I think it is safe to say at this point that Naughty Dog will never recover from this and will be making PSN games only within months. Between this and Santa Monica lay offs Sony is already struggling to keep exclusive games. They already have little to no games and it genuinely raises concerns to me that we will never see great exclusives on the Playstation 4.

RIP Sony, Nov. 2013 - March 2014.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Indeed, I'm not saying it is true, at the very worst, I don't believe there was any malicious intent, I don't believe they demanded she go, I imagine for whatever reason she felt ostracized or slighted due to some critical decision.
I agree. It's probably a sad situation for her but probably a more complex issue than the article makes it sound.

Alucrid

Banned
I think it is safe to say at this point that Naughty Dog will never recover from this and will be making
PSN games only within months. Between this and Santa Monica lay offs Sony is already struggling to keep exclusive games. They already have little to no games and it genuinely raises concerns to me that we will never see great exclusives on the Playstation 4.

There's always Team Ico.

jayu26

I think it is safe to say at this point that Naughty Dog will never recover from this and will be making
PSN games only within months. Between this and Santa Monica lay offs Sony is already struggling to keep exclusive games. They already have little to no games and it genuinely raises concerns to me that we will never see great exclusives on the Playstation 4.

8/10. Not as funny as I thought it would be...

I think it is safe to say at this point that Naughty Dog will never recover from this and will be making PSN games only within months. Between this and Santa Monica lay offs Sony is already struggling to keep exclusive games. They already have little to no games and it genuinely raises concerns to me that we will never see great exclusives on the Playstation 4.

AAA-tier post.

tlou dudes probably wanted it to be less uncharted and more serious or would take up themes that shouldn't be in an uncharted game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom