• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Medalion

Banned
Honestly ive been watching some 3ds channel where some Aussie kid imported a 3ds, unboxed, showed setups, functions, even games... The whole experience seemed underwhelming... He didnt sound too blown away and neither was I whe ya got down to it... Without the 3d to see it might as well be the next DSi

M3d10n

Serenade said:
It'd be funny if you could now download and save stuff directly from the browser ala PSP then. Although, I'm sure Nintendo imposed that restriction on Opera rather than Opera deciding not to include the file system frontend.
Well, that'd certainly increase the usefulness about tenfold: I could see myself using the 3DS to download files from the net while strolling around other's wifi networks. Even better if I could download 3D pictures people posted on the web.

NateDrake

Medalion said:
Honestly ive been watching some 3ds channel where some Aussie kid imported a 3ds, unboxed, showed setups, functions, even games... The whole experience seemed underwhelming... He didnt sound too blown away and neither was I whe ya got down to it... Without the 3d to see it might as well be the next DSi
What did you expect?

isny

napkin dispenser
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I have an extra pre-order that's good till Monday at Nakano Tsutaya, if anybody wants it, if you pay for the system plus My train fare to get there(320 yen) I'm more then willing to help a Neogaffer out.

Such a nice gesture, surprised no one has taken you up on it yet. If only it wasn't region locked... =(

Kuran

Banned
sasimirobot said:
yup. if you read the "Iwata asks" threads seems like they put ALOT of thought into the 3ds. It wasn't yeah lets push out a shitty design so we can update it 3 weeks later kinda thing. Dudes talking shit on the hardware design are secret haters, or waiting for a new R4 so they can pirate and join the club 6 months later for free. Pirates kinda suck

Uh. Okay? Once again, I'm not saying the Iwata asks interviews arent entertaining, but the last thing they would do is admit that something is half-assed or could be improved in the future.

Amir0x

Banned
Medalion said:
I expected super terrific happy hour

That day will come, when that glorious white knight comes bounding over the hill at the dawn's light when all hope seems lost: "I am Paper Mario 3DS, and on my word I say charge! Charge for glory and the world's ending!"*

The NGP, fragmented and scattered, will be finished off by the Huorns.

Boney

Banned
Kuran said:
Uh. Okay? Once again, I'm not saying the Iwata asks interviews arent entertaining, but the last thing they would do is admit that something is half-assed or could be improved in the future.
¿?

Amir0x said:
That day will come, when that glorious white knight comes bounding over the hill at the dawn's light when all hope seems lost: "I am Paper Mario 3DS, and on my word I say charge! Charge for glory and the world's ending!"
I have faith in Legends 3 as well.

Help us god!

Gravijah

Amir0x said:
That day will come, when that glorious white knight comes bounding over the hill at the dawn's light when all hope seems lost: "I am Paper Mario 3DS, and on my word I say charge! Charge for glory and the world's ending!"

I played Paper Mario 1 for the first time a month or two ago. So good. :( Even more hyped for PM3DS.

Amir0x

Banned
That reminds me that I hope to God they do something as awesome as Luigi's adventures in the Waffle Kingdom this time. That was one of the few times I've ever consistently kept LOLing in a game.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
M3d10n said:
Even better if I could download 3D pictures people posted on the web.
It's likely that they decided to look at the things they did right with the DSi like direct Facebook image uploads and Hatena's Flipnote Studio in regards to content sharing.
If were lucky, these things were considered and implemented when getting NetFront on the browser.

newsguy

So are there any impressions of PES??? I know it won't be a hit in the US, but I imagine it's gonna kill in Japan. Every impression not only says it plays great, but makes great use of the 3D due to camera placement. If Steel Diver isn't the absolute shit, PES may be my only launch title.

Got 5 hours 15 minutes, give or take, this time. Again, that's with occasional 3D slider gameplay, about 45 minutes of Wi-Fi, brightness 1, power save off, 30 minutes or so of AR play.

Cygnus X-1

donkey show said:
Got 5 hours 15 minutes, give or take, this time. Again, that's with occasional 3D slider gameplay, about 45 minutes of Wi-Fi, brightness 1, power save off, 30 minutes or so of AR play.

Well, that's passable for an handheld. I suppose it's better than nothing.

donkey show said:
Is this the brightest or dimmest setting?

donkey show said:
Hmm, I think that's pretty good, for me at least.

As long as I can use StreetPass and listen to music on the train with the 3DS closed, and still have at least 3-4 hours for gameplay if I choose, then I will be happy.

Since the backlight and screen seems to take most of the power (because it's essentially 3 screens with 3 backlights), I don't think I should worry too much.

Also, I hope people everywhere leave StreetPass on. Otherwise, it'll just be useless...

M3d10n said:
Well, that'd certainly increase the usefulness about tenfold: I could see myself using the 3DS to download files from the net while strolling around other's wifi networks. Even better if I could download 3D pictures people posted on the web.
Well, if the device doesn't have that built-in, you could do it manually. The 3DS saves 3D photo's in ".MPO" format to SD Card - that's a standard format, same one as my 3D camera uses. You could post those files somewhere, and download them too, then load them back onto SD for viewing on the 3DS. Heck, I've seen a photo sharing site designed for 3D files.

donkey show said:
Dimmest. 5 is the highest. I'm sure I could've gotten a bit more juice out of it if I didn't play the AR games.
Oh, I see. I've heard that at least with smartphones, the battery reaches its full capacity after a few charges, and since I'm pretty sure it's the same battery technology the case should be the same for the 3DS. So it'd be great if you could chime in again after a week or two and give an update again.

Boney

Banned
donkey show said:
I guess the cradle kinda makes up for it.

WillyFive

Amir0x said:
That reminds me that I hope to God they do something as awesome as Luigi's adventures in the Waffle Kingdom this time. That was one of the few times I've ever consistently kept LOLing in a game.

I loved how each of Luigi's side character was given such a deep attention to detail, as if they were serious that this was another adventure that was happening concurrently.

apujanata

I can tolerate 5 hour+ gaming battery life when playing 3DS games.

I wonder if it can achieve 10+ hours when playing DS games on it.

isny

napkin dispenser
Zzoram said:
Has anyone played Pokemon B/W on it yet? Does it look any better/worse in a 3DS? Any extra features unlocked?

It's already been confirmed by Nintendo that there are no 3DS extras.

Gravijah

Boney said:
It's always gonna be charged, unlike my PSP which I only charge when the battery runs off.

I just don't understand what is so different from the regular charger. Why would a cradle make you charge it more?

v0yce

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Don't know if this has been posted, but here is an Unboxing and Quick run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsQDha_G9Vc

Man seeing the 3DS next to the DS just makes the 3DS look... clunky with its overbite and seams and silly 3 color design.

That blue does look pretty slick though. Alot better than the early shots lead to believe. I just wish the entire interior was black instead of just the top screen.

beje

Banned
Gravijah said:
I just don't understand what is so different from the regular charger. Why would a cradle make you charge it more?

Arrive home -> put console in craddle even if the battery is not dry -> fresh charge everyday -> less chance to run out of battery when not near a power outlet.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Because I just leave it there whenever I'm not using it. It eliminates a tiny inconvinience that's enough to make me have my system at 100% charge most of the times, instead of the feeling of being stuck to a wall.

Gravijah

beje said:
Arrive home -> put console in craddle even if the battery is not dry -> fresh charge everyday -> less chance to run out of battery when not near a power outlet.

But I do that with my regular charger...

Boney said:
Because I just leave it there whenever I'm not using it. It eliminates a tiny inconvinience that's enough to make me have my system at 100% charge most of the times, instead of the feeling of being stuck to a wall.

Couldn't you just leave it there on a regular charger?

I'm curious about something.

Remember the original DS, and how the backlight was either On or Off?

Well, in Super Mario 64 DS, in the Options, there was an in-game option to turn the backlight on or off. It even worked on the DS Lite and I think the DSi (but it was too dark to see anything well).

Can some lovely fellow try Mario 64 DS and see if the 3DS's backlight will go completely off? And if so, can you say how it looks? Is it visible and somewhat easy to see?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
MatthewB92 said:
Wish there was something like what they did with MK:DS and had a little random sound when it started up on a DS lite.
oh yeaaaaaah I remember that.

miss little touches like that

Poyunch

Gravijah said:
But I do that with my regular charger...

Couldn't you just leave it there on a regular charger?
That's what I do but you have to admit just placing your DS on a surface is easier than inserting the normal charger into the DS.

mclem

Boney said:
I call your bluff

I can state that I do. The charger is underneath my bed, it's a trivial process to just plug myself in before I settle down.

Also, and probably significantly, I use my DS alarm to wake me up. So I think consciously of the DS before I go to sleep.

mclem

Izayoi said:
Headphones generally strain batteries pretty hard, right? I'm impressed that it's lasted that long with headphones in.

Surely not? I always thought headphones required significantly less power to run than speakers?

I should point out that I'm genuinely not sure, now I've said that, but it had always been my perception.

Hahahaha wow I was so right yesterday.

From Ordering on Amazon.jp ---> Paying at Lawson -----> delivered to my door
honestly took lest than 24 hrs. I got my 3DS in about 22 hrs exactly.

PRIVATIZED POSTAL SERVICE FOR THE FUCKING WIN!

Top Bottom