• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Now what we need is Microsoft to announce a Prototype Intel Cannonlake i7 CPU & Prototype Nvidia Pascal GPU for it's Xbox OnePointFive console and Neogaf might go offline for a week while they order new servers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
but hasn't it been proven that they were working on Move (and in wand form) back in the EyeToy days before Wii was even a thing? and working on VR shortly after the inception of Move, via 2 x Moves taped to the Sony HMD?

Toward this and other notes, I feel the final form and implementation of the products model closely to what their competitors end up doing even if they have 10 year out product R&D in a wide range of ideas.

I'm sure they probably had something that was a smartphone years before the iPhone was unveiled, but I don't think that would make their modern devices not built in its image.

Part of me wonders if this is Sony pushing 4K blu-ray in the way they pushed DVD with the PS2 and regular blu-ray with the PS3 as well, the PS4 was the first Sony console since the PS1 that wasn't partly designed to push a new optical video medium.

teiresias

I'm kind of annoyed that we seem to be moving away from console development targeting specific hardware and taking advantage of it over a longer lifecycle. I mean, what's the point in any of these consoles being anything but glorified PC mITX builds at this point when it seems rather than have devs pull more power out of a fixed platform we instead are going to just upgrade said platform incrementally?

I'm really hoping, at least from Sony anyway, this is just a glorified stopgap this gen due to the increasing market of 4K TVs and 4K Blu-Rays. I doubt it though. Feels like this whole plan makes the time and effort Cerny put into the design kind of thankless when you really just need a standard PC build that you upgrade every couple of years.

I don't understand why they don't just call it PS5. The best thing about it would be that all "PS5" games would also be compatible with the PS4. I guess they don't feel like it'll be big enough of a jump from PS4?

Markoman

Wait people, hold on for a second!
Is there a universal law that prohibits April fools jokes before April 1st when the joke is revealed on April 1st?

2x GPU power and this is supposed to be able to run 4k games? I guess we're in for another half-gen with sub 30 fps games in that case. I wish framerate took precedence over resolution.

CPU would also need a massive boost. I don't see how this could be anywhere near 499$.

did you read what he actually has postet?? No native 4k Games but upscaled to 4k...

SonComet

2X the power is pretty interesting. The PS4 GPU is 1.84TF and the stock 7970 is 3.79TF. I'm assuming that since it's the same generation AMD card that it wouldn't break compatibility in any way. I'm expecting a modified 14nm 7970 based APU instead of the modified 7870 APU in the current PS4.

pastrami

So all the people who think this will leave the original PS4 with bad ports...don't you think that's going to happen anyways? PCs aren't stopping for anyone (especially consoles), and Microsoft seems to be moving in the same direction. Do you guys really think developers will say "Well, let's make our game run at 1080p30fps on PS4, then see how we can flex our muscles on the stronger hardware."

Of course they won't. Developers are already working with things like real time GI and tessellation on PCs. Do you guys really want to wait another 2-3 years before we start seeing that stuff on consoles too? Do you guys think that if the PS4k doesn't exist, we won't continue to see poorly performing multiplatform titles (Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, etc)? It's not going to get better (coding to the metal!), it's only going to get worse.

And the myth that these consoles still have a lot of headroom needs to be dispelled. This isn't like the older consoles when each had unique hardware that took time to extract the most out of. The shaders on the PS4 are for all intents and purposes, the same as the ones in the Xbox One, and the same as the ones in an R280. Programming techniques across platforms are largely going to be the same. HSA might enable some neat things, but isn't going to help a 1.84 TF GPU compare with significantly more powerful PC GPUs.

I'm all for more powerful consoles in shorter cycles. Maybe not every year, but every 2-3? Sounds good to me.

Will be interesting to see Microsofts reaction. Because if they don't do anything and keep the Xbox One it will be hard to get new customers once the PS4k is out. Multiplattform titles will just pull away and they would have to sell at an even lower price around 199$. Why buy a 300$ Xbox when I can get the twice as powerful PS4k for 399$?

Spencer seems to make it clear this is what's coming and their plan seems great. Check out the build conference today. Mod support, mouse and keyboard, etc

KOHIPEET

And its likely that the optimization won't be the same as if there was only one model. I'm sorry, I have a really hard time thinking "NOTHING IS CHANGING" when clearly, this seems like a mini gen switch. The old gen gets fucked, there were millions of last-gen consoles out there at the turn of the gen, the last-gen ports still sucked for the most part.

Yeah, I just can't see how a hardware capable of putting out graphics like Uncharted 4 instantly becomes inadequate for some reason. It's quite a capable machine and it'll remain so. It'll only be lower spec in comparison to the newer one.

Bitches endlessly about underpowered consoles
I play Killzone and DriveClub and Infamous and Battlefield and a host of other games on the PS4 and the last thing I'm thinking is "man, this console sure is underpowered".

Its not even a hint of a whisper of a thought when watching that Uncharted 4 footage.

Long gens let devs settle in and optimize their processes, and this leads to amazing games, years beyond the point where people speak of "maxing out the hardware".

Taker34

Banned
Ok now that the PS4k is basically confirmed, I do feel like this has the potential to anger customers more than the sales from that device are actually worth. The public image of the console stands or falls with delicate details like how PS4K optimized games will run on the original hardware. The worst thing which could happen is a gimped PS4 version of certain games.

I also wonder how this affects devs? In theory they're developing a PC-ish game with different settings. Then again the difference could be something like stable/unstable frame rate, better shadows, draw distance, higher res etc.

They´re gonna sell the PS4 and PS4K at the same time. At least for 1, probably 2 years, until the PS4K price comes down. Then the PS4K will be the only one until the PS5 comes out. Games still work on both PS4s. The PS4 version will look and play as it would have without the 4K anyway. The PS4K version will look better/run better, still the same game.

Microsoft will do the same if we look at Spencer´s comments.

Nintendo will most likely do the same, if we look at Iwata´s comments about the NX being more like a platform and not just a console and handheld. With it being more like the ios/android environment. Also they´re not going to be the only ones doing regular 5 year gens when their other two competitors (blabla, not competitors, bubble etc.) are doing it.

I don´t see a downside. The games that you´re playing are being developed and then downgraded to your PS4 right now anyway. The assests are higher resolution in development than what you´re seeing in the end. They´re probably higher quality than what you´re gonna get on the 4K too. Obviously the case for multi platform games that are also on PC.

thank you for making sense in this shitstorm of a thread.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do people think Sony will abandon 40 million fans?

I thought it was just MGSGAF that was unhinged.

Those are now 40 million owners of last gen. Get with the new gen. Time to move on.

=)

I have a PS4. It was free. Thankfully. I sell this shit for a living. It's going to suck. Personally, I will just stay in PC-ville. I had PSVR preordered but will probably cancel (unless that's a freebie too). I'll look into PCVR options. I'll check out what Nintendo has in store. Maybe they can keep it simple (that said, they have reason to abandon Wii U...but that stings too. People remember.) That's all I want out of consoles. Simple. Hell, my PC is super simple.

I'm not going to knock people who want this and will buy into it, I'm just going to say that this isn't going to go over as smoothly as people think it will. I feel it muddys the water in an industry that doesn't need any more mud.

Again... Hyrule Warriors Legends vs. Hyrule Warriors Legends New 3DS. Except this time, imagine it on the console level.

jmdajr

lets abandon 35 millions users and make optimized games for only PS4k. let the losers with the PS4 play a glitchy mess in 20 fps...

haha people here need to relax, its not going to happen guys. it will most probably work like a PC, you have graphics settings. games will not worse than they are today on PS4.

Bring on the future Sony, I am in!

If the games just scale like PC I guess that's ok, except the settings will be limited to PS4/PS4k. Oh, and you actually can't choose.

ayob

Welp. I guess I should stop watching game conferences like E3 because they'll be showing something I'm not gonna experience on my now low class tier 2 PS4.

I hope this fails

im pretty sure you'll get the same experience on ps4 as you do now. Its just people will get better experiences on the new ps4k. And if that bothers you then pc gaming must bother you right now knowing people are playing games the same games as you but in 4k 60fps

PBY

Banned
I am not sure whats the problem. this is the right thing to do. and I expect this to continue for the whole generation of consoles and new consoles as well.

I expect the PS5 to be an upgraded PS4k as well and so on that will let you play your current games. To be honest, I couldn't be much happier. if anything. I will not feel the regret of buying so many games and then knowing I will not be able to play them on a new console.

as long as your PS4 play those games as its intended, you shouldn't worry it. if you want to play the same games you already bought with a better graphics than your current console cant, then you can trade in and upgrade your system.

I am glad they finally went ahead with the Andriod / IOS /PC route . it should have been there since the PS4 and Xbox one was announced.

The bolded is exactly why people are upset. The odds of it just upgrading the visuals for new games, and assuming that the ps4.0 will continue running games as if it is the only box devs will optimize for strikes me as fantasy.

I hope I'm wrong, or I hope at least Sony communicates this clearly and has some upgrade program.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's for VR mostly and the bullet point 4K marketing. What else comes with it is pretty meaningless is my guess, nicer looking, better performing games but the same stuff in the end.

How will this help with VR? It doesn't change the fact that the VR's screen resolution will still be the same.

I don't understand why they don't just call it PS5. The best thing about it would be that all "PS5" games would also be compatible with the PS4. I guess they don't feel like it'll be big enough of a jump from PS4?

A 2x jump in power of the GPU and what is likely a similar CPU upgrade is incredibly minor compared to jumps between generations tech.

Alo0oy

Banned
I hope they go all in and upgrade the CPU as well, I'm fine paying more, this will be the "luxury" model anyway, so I'd rather they don't go just half way.

Top Bottom