• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just realized that "Post-Process" is just the stupid name they used for Motion Blur in the settings. Way to make things difficult devs. Turning it off makes a world of difference and that rock solid 60 fps without a hint of motion blur looks like sex. Screens also come out so much better too.

dirt3_game2011-08-1219vjcn.jpg

legbone

Stallion Free said:
I just realized that "Post-Process" is just the stupid name they used for Motion Blur in the settings. Way to make things difficult devs. Turning it off makes a world of difference and that rock solid 60 fps without a hint of motion blur looks like sex. Screens also come out so much better too.

wow, that looks amazing. i would love to see it in motion at 60 fps.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:

http://www.abload.de/img/dirt3_game2011-08-1219vjcn.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I intuitively knew blur was a large part of it (why I've kept PP on medium in their games), but I always figured there were additional things to it. lol. You know what they say when you assume.

SmokyDave said:
Agreed but my worry is that the sales will lead them to believe that this is what people want. Hell, maybe it is. I just want a decent successor to Colin McRae 2.0 or Rallisport Challenge 2 that isn't RBR. Something new. Just point to point rally stages, ideally.

get_to_yes_quick.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
Hey what was this 349MB patch that just downloaded?
Patch version 1.02
-Resolved an issue which could prevent the user successfully saving with profiles that contained unicode characters.
-UI elements are no longer incorrectly displayed in Gymkhana
-Improvements to input system, supporting multi-device action maps. The user can now set button configurations to span multiple devices; previously a bug would cause these settings to be lost upon game restart.
-Corrected various spelling mistakes across all languages
-Reset line corrections to prevent potential ‘out of world’ or ‘driving into crowd’ issues on several tracks
-Corrected an issue which could, in rare circumstances, prevent the display from rendering in the event of 16xCSAA being selected.
-Steering wheel no longer jolts to the left in the race reward screen
-Removed an incorrect limitation which could cause VSync to lock the refresh rate to 60Hz on a 120Hz system.
-Physics output to motion simulators is now correctly faded out at the end of a race, preventing some situations within which motion would continue after crossing the finish line.
-Adjusted head camera configuration to avoid excessive vibration effects when VSync is disabled.
-Front end menu improvements for multi-display systems, correcting a small number of visibility issues.
-Improvements to GPU detection, correcting a potential issue which in some circumstances could prevent SLI scaling operating correctly with DirectX 11.
-Implemented native stereoscopic support for compatible devices.
-Inclusion of a benchmarking utility, simplifying the process of gathering performance statistics.
-Various stability fixes.

1-D_FTW

And Live gives you two free patches, right? So that's probably it for patches. If it ain't fixed here, it probably ain't getting fixed ever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
And Live gives you two free patches, right? So that's probably it for patches. If it ain't fixed here, it probably ain't getting fixed ever.
Mine didn't patch through live, it went through Steam. Maybe they can circumvent the Live bullshit that way?

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Mine didn't patch through live, it went through Steam. Maybe they can circumvent the Live bullshit that way?

#1) That's really cool. I've never heard of that happening before. Live games have always been through the clunky Live setup.

#2) Unfortunately, I don't see how they could circumvent it. Any patches would need to be applied to all versions or else multi-player would be incompatible between Steam and non-Steam versions. Besides, I think Codemasters likes it this way. This way they have a convenient excuse to be able to move on without ever fixing the DX11 crash issues.

Is it really that difficult to fix the hard freezing bug that is triggered when the game is loading and you hit the guide button to view an achievement you just unlocked?

Fuck. It's been there since launch and it just happened to me again. :|

InertiaXr

1-D_FTW said:

What does this mean? Does Microsoft only allow you to patch a game twice if it uses GFWL then you have to pay them or something? That sounds so stupid that I can't even fathom that being the case.

Iknos

Played this at my cousin's a while ago and it is pretty good. It was the first Dirt game we could actually play the physics made sense. Right now its the best rally experience on the current line of consoles.

I brought my G27 and with a few tweaks it felt very good.

He had a fair bit unlocked and there doesn't seem to be many tracks. Track lengths are a bit short and while I enjoyed some stages there wasn't any progression in course difficulty. The game should have offered more narrow ribbons spawning from some of the tracks.

It's a pretty solid basis for future Dirt games. Not perfect but I hope it sold well so Codies understands they did a lot of right things here. Proper handling for once and more rally courses than all that other x-treme junk. Can't blame them for the gymkhana stuff it sells...but it seems like they are headed in the right direction.

May consider getting it myself when I build a new PC. When its cheaper. I can see myself getting tired of the few tracks in the game. It doesn't help that they are pretty short courses.

bs000

InertiaXr said:
What does this mean? Does Microsoft only allow you to patch a game twice if it uses GFWL then you have to pay them or something? That sounds so stupid that I can't even fathom that being the case.

The developer has to pay. Probably to encourage devs fix everything the first time and discourage adding small fixes constantly. At least that's what I've read. Somewhere.

Rufus

buhdeh said:
God I HATE the gymkhana crap in this game.
I've found that switching to third person helps tremendously.
Also, multiplier. Get to 3x and then keep it by not crashing into anything. You can cheese some of the earlier events as well by abusing the spin zones. Position yourself such that only the back of your car goes through it, enough so to activate the counter and just spin away. Since you're not completely inside the spin zone, it will always reset. Diminishing returns, of course, because you're still being punished for doing the same thing over and over, but it can make these events a little easier.

Definitely one of the more annoying events though.

1-D_FTW

Now that I actually got to spend a little time with DX 11, it does look very pretty and more than holds its own with Dirt 2.

P.S. The ghetto way (knock on wood) to beat the DX 11 crashing bug is to alt-enter when not racing. You shouldn't get load crashes when you're running windowed. So just window it when loading, and when you get ready to race, alt-enter back to full screen. Seems like that solves the problem, duct tape style.

Oli

Just got the game from a friend and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm thinking of buying the online pass, but before I do, is there an active community that still plays online? None of my friends have it so it would be rather important in terms of multiplayer.

Oli said:
Just got the game from a friend and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm thinking of buying the online pass, but before I do, is there an active community that still plays online? None of my friends have it so it would be rather important in terms of multiplayer.

On the PS3 there is a good community, at least every time that I log on I never have a problem getting to play with others.

buhdeh said:
God I HATE the gymkhana crap in this game.

The score events only bother me mildly, but those random open areas where you're supposed to complete challenges are completely worthless. The achievement whore in me is bothered by the fact that I've only got 600 points in this game, when I had over 900 in Dirt 2.

WTF Codemasters? I was interested in Dirt 3 on the PSN store as it seemed to be available for a fairly reasonable price, but also because of the convenience of downloading the game. So, I add Dirt 3 to my cart along with the track packs and car packs DLC. I download the game and DLC and install it all and then boot it up to find I have to buy the fucking VIP Pass online key too?!?!!! WTF!!!

To be clear, NOWHERE on the Dirt 3 PSN store page does it say that buying the FULL game doesn't include the freaking ONLINE component, and other full games I have purchased from the PSN store, such as NFS: Most Wanted, come with the online code included.

What a fucking outrageous practice, and once again the digital customer gets shafted by a scumbag publisher who I most certainly won't be supporting in the future. I can understand wanting to protect against used sales, but fucking over consumers like this only helps reinforce the used sales market. I know that's where I'll be looking for any future Codemasters titles that interest me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
WTF Codemasters? I was interested in Dirt 3 on the PSN store as it seemed to be available for a fairly reasonable price, but also because of the convenience of downloading the game. So, I add Dirt 3 to my cart along with the track packs and car packs DLC. I download the game and DLC and install it all and then boot it up to find I have to buy the fucking VIP Pass online key too?!?!!! WTF!!!

To be clear, NOWHERE on the Dirt 3 PSN store page does it say that buying the FULL game doesn't include the freaking ONLINE component, and other full games I have purchased from the PSN store, such as NFS: Most Wanted, come with the online code included.

What a fucking outrageous practice, and once again the digital customer gets shafted by a scumbag publisher who I most certainly won't be supporting in the future. I can understand wanting to protect against used sales, but fucking over consumers like this only helps reinforce the used sales market. I know that's where I'll be looking for any future Codemasters titles that interest me.

That is bullshit... thanks for saving me money.

Quick update - I got in touch with Codemasters and they said the VIP Pass should be available to download from the PSN download list upon purchase of the full game, but it isn't there, so now I apparently have to contact Sony to get them to sort it out. Not holding much hope for a reply until after the holidays though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What is with the stuttering on the PC version every few minutes? Google is telling me it is related to GFWL, but no one has a full proof fix. Did I miss something or did MS screw up my game with their malware?

Double D

So I know there was some issue with the keys being leaked by AMD a while ago, but I've been looking around and I'd like to buy a steam key off of either ebay or Amazon. I remember something about steam not allowing certain keys to register or something to that effect, so I wanted to check and see if anyone knew anything before I bought one.

So I know there was some issue with the keys being leaked by AMD a while ago, but I've been looking around and I'd like to buy a steam key off of either ebay or Amazon. I remember something about steam not allowing certain keys to register or something to that effect, so I wanted to check and see if anyone knew anything before I bought one.

According to those keys, they should have expired on 12/31/2011. Not sure if AMD have followed on those dates.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Not sure if I'd recommend getting this, even at $5, considering Showdown is just right around the corner, and going to be the superior game.

I'm really not feeling this so far I'm afraid (PS3).

The driving itself is great, but I'm not really keen on the single player tour "experience."

Admittedly I've only just finished the first pyramid/season, but it just doesn't seem quite as much fun as Dirt 2.

I shall persevere though.

I'm really not feeling this so far I'm afraid (PS3).

The driving itself is great, but I'm not really keen on the single player tour "experience."

Admittedly I've only just finished the first pyramid/season, but it just doesn't seem quite as much fun as Dirt 2.

I shall persevere though.

I hated it too. Thought it was by far the worst of the series.

I still need to finish all events, something I did easily in dirt 2 but not in this one as I had much more fun doing single race rallies and playing rally online.

Key word "rally", codemasters...

Top Bottom