• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Official Teaser Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS!

The film will start with Finn participating in an Empire mission with Kylo Ren in command, massacring and burning down a village (Stormtroopers being deployed to a village in trailer 1, Kylo Ren at the burning scene in trailer 2).

The mission makes Finn start questioning his moral stance and he decides to defect from the Empire. Traumatized and with blood on his hands, he returns to the star destroyer and shoots up his former allies with a TIE Fighter (seen in trailer 2) and attempts his escape.

He gets shot down over Jakku (opening shot to trailer 1, most likely the same planet where the village massacre took place), and he is left to search for refuge on his own.

He comes across Rey, who found Luke's lightsaber in her scavenging (as seen cleaerly in the third pic below). Finn recognizes the weapon as that of the infamous Luke Skywalker, the legend responsible for crippling the Empire (know your enemy and all).

This leads Rey and Finn to seek out Luke after discovering that Rey has a connection with the force (and possibly the Skywalker family). They head to the trader outpost seen in both trailers. The Chrometrooper is hellbent on taking out Finn, and leads a ruthless hunt for him (almost satisfying the role of bounty hunter, only under the Empire's command). And so, we have the scene in which TIE fighters bombard the trader outpost with the intention of taking out Finn (trailer 2).

They steal the Millennium Falcon and attempt their escape from Jakku, with the intention of rallying with the Rebel Alliance in another system. Mind you, the pilot chsing down the Falcon utilizes chrome armor.

Upon escaping, they meet with the leader of the Rebel Alliance, Leia, knowing she's Luke's sibling and that she may be able to assist in seeking him out. They get Luke's saber in her hands and she recognizes it as her brother's, legitimizing Rey and Finn's intentions. Before sending them out to seek him (and unsure of Luke's mental state), she provides them with companions who have history with Luke: Han and Chewie. "Chewie, we're home" implies that Han nor Chewie have commandeered the Falcon in a long time, effectively busting the theory that Han and Chewie help Rey and Finn get out of Jakku (that would be a bit too convenient). This approach also enables the film to reunite Han and Leia in a way that makes sense. Also, I'll have to guess that R2 and C3P0 are under the Rebel Alliance's supervision up to this point, and they're also sent along with Han and company aboard the Falcon (just like old times).

Regarding Kylo Ren, I suspect he senses a threat to the Sith and the Empire, one linked to the Skywalkers (and we all know what happens when you pit a Skywalker against the Empire). He seeks out the remains of Vader, somehow trying to narrow down who this person (Rey) is. This might be an opportunity to integrate the much-rumored flashbacks (featuring Vader and the younger versions of Luke and Leia). Kylo then sets out to destroy this potential threat to an already-wounded Empire. He will serve as the endgame villain.

And regarding Poe Dameron, I think he'll be utilized as a rival to Finn (former Stormtrooper against a patriotic X-Wing pilot). It will make for interesting drama and nice contrast between the Empire and Rebel causes.

A stray and completely unsupported guess is that Finn will kill the Chrometrooper (Captain Phasma played by Gwendoline Christie) to complete his respective arc, solidifying him as a good guy when tempted by her to turn against his new friends.

4VD9Ehy.gif

HEY, SPOILER TAGS, THEY EXIST. DO YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THEM?! HIGHLIGHT YOUR TEXT AND CLICK THE "S" ICON IN THE POSTING TOOLBAR ON THE FAR RIGHT!

I DON'T WANT TO RISK BEING SPOILED, EVEN BY ITERATIVE DEDUCTION

PRESERVE MY NON-THOUGHT PLEASE.

I was completely unaware that they ever wrote Boba Fett as capable of wielding a Saber. I knew he collected them as trophies but not that he used them.

Looking it up most of his saber usage was based in the comics but I see at least one book reference to him using it. Interesting to say the least. That's still only two (counting Grievous) non-force users to ever wield a lightsaber in battle. That's a far cry from "tossing the force users only" out the window.

Wookieepedia says:

So.. still incredibly rare for a non-Force user to wield one.

Nah, that is Pre Vizla, a Mandolarian extremist from the Clone Wars. He had a Darksaber...but I can't imagine that being much different than a lightsaber.

Not a fan of that crash zoom and ford seems a little flat (as per usual for the last decade), but otherwise that was a fun trailer.

Personally i would have preferred a movie that recaptures the overall tone of the original films rather than one that adulates them, this seems like a standard abrams film with a lot of star wars fan service...

NYR94

Who is supposed to be on the receiving end of the lightsaber handoff? The person has long finger nails. In the shot of Boyega and the ground with sand on him the hand reaching for him appears to have short finger nails. They both can't be Ridley.

Dead

well not really...yet
I feel like that dude legit time traveled from December 20155 to spoil the movie. That's how acurately that post reads. lmao

kitzkozan

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS!

The film will start with Finn participating in an Empire mission with Kylo Ren in command, massacring and burning down a village (Stormtroopers being deployed to a village in trailer 1, Kylo Ren at the burning scene in trailer 2).

The mission makes Finn start questioning his moral stance and he decides to defect from the Empire. Traumatized and with blood on his hands, he returns to the star destroyer and shoots up his former allies with a TIE Fighter (seen in trailer 2) and attempts his escape.

He gets shot down over Jakku (opening shot to trailer 1, most likely the same planet where the village massacre took place), and he is left to search for refuge on his own.

He comes across Rey, who found Luke's lightsaber in her scavenging (as seen cleaerly in the third pic below). Finn recognizes the weapon as that of the infamous Luke Skywalker, the legend responsible for crippling the Empire (know your enemy and all).

This leads Rey and Finn to seek out Luke after discovering that Rey has a connection with the force (and possibly the Skywalker family). They head to the trader outpost seen in both trailers. The Chrometrooper is hellbent on taking out Finn, and leads a ruthless hunt for him (almost satisfying the role of bounty hunter, only under the Empire's command). And so, we have the scene in which TIE fighters bombard the trader outpost with the intention of taking out Finn (trailer 2).

They steal the Millennium Falcon and attempt their escape from Jakku, with the intention of rallying with the Rebel Alliance in another system. Mind you, the pilot chsing down the Falcon utilizes chrome armor.

Upon escaping, they meet with the leader of the Rebel Alliance, Leia, knowing she's Luke's sibling and that she may be able to assist in seeking him out. They get Luke's saber in her hands and she recognizes it as her brother's, legitimizing Rey and Finn's intentions. Before sending them out to seek him (and unsure of Luke's mental state), she provides them with companions who have history with Luke: Han and Chewie. "Chewie, we're home" implies that Han nor Chewie have commandeered the Falcon in a long time, effectively busting the theory that Han and Chewie help Rey and Finn get out of Jakku (that would be a bit too convenient). This approach also enables the film to reunite Han and Leia in a way that makes sense. Also, I'll have to guess that R2 and C3P0 are under the Rebel Alliance's supervision up to this point, and they're also sent along with Han and company aboard the Falcon (just like old times).

Regarding Kylo Ren, I suspect he senses a threat to the Sith and the Empire, one linked to the Skywalkers (and we all know what happens when you pit a Skywalker against the Empire). He seeks out the remains of Vader, somehow trying to narrow down who this person (Rey) is. This might be an opportunity to integrate the much-rumored flashbacks (featuring Vader and the younger versions of Luke and Leia). Kylo then sets out to destroy this potential threat to an already-wounded Empire. He will serve as the endgame villain.

And regarding Poe Dameron, I think he'll be utilized as a rival to Finn (former Stormtrooper against a patriotic X-Wing pilot). It will make for interesting drama and nice contrast between the Empire and Rebel causes.

A stray and completely unsupported guess is that Finn will kill the Chrometrooper (Captain Phasma played by Gwendoline Christie) to complete his respective arc, solidifying him as a good guy when tempted by her to turn against his new friends.

Interesting theories, but how exactly would Rey have connection with the Skywalker? :) Granted, we do not know who her parents are as of right now. Could she actually be his daughter or something? In that case, the speech which we hear about the force being strong in his family does make sense, but it's just speculation right now.

I think most people suspect Gwendoline being one of the main character in charge of the chrome troopers. If Driver is the main villain and Gwendoline is a chrome trooper, what exactly do they have in store for Lupita? I'm guessing that there's an official trailer by the 4th of may (or with Age of Ultron).

That's all unsourced speculation btw.

You can ask him to spoiler it if you want, but its pretty far away from what the rumors are saying right now

Okay, that's good to know, but this kind of maverick untaggery needs to be headed off at the pass or else he/she might ruin someone's day with actual authentic spoilers/deduction in the future :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
Who is supposed to be on the receiving end of the lightsaber handoff? The person has long finger nails. In the shot of Boyega and the ground with sand on him the hand reaching for him appears to have short finger nails. They both can't be Ridley.
I assume it's supposed to be Leia, considering the voiceover.

Unless that guy has a source for his spoilers they're just speculation, albeit very well written and reasonably thought out.

Although we still know nothing about what Poe's true role is (of the three heroes he's received the smallest trailer screen time), Lupita's involvement (zero imagery so far), whether Luke's son is only featured in flashbacks or is an active character, what Andy Serkis is up to as a villain, or Max Von Sydow's role as "the Vicar." There is still a ton we don't know about this film, which is awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It might have been (kind of) decanonized (does Clone Wars mentioning Revan mean KOTOR in the new canon by association?), but I like that the costume is clearly inspired by Revan.

Also, I wonder if the actors (who use them) got to chose their lightsabers. One of the things during the Prequels that I thought sounded neat.

Saya

Awesome trailer. I wonder why they haven't shown Kylo Ren's human face yet. And still no sight of Andy Serkis as well, right?

Is it December yet? I teared up a bit. Even watching that youtube video with the audience cheering was enough to get me weeping. This just feels right. I guess its the way the camera works, the feel of oldness and a war torn galaxy. It doesnt feel clean, it feels like something old and long forgotten. Ah well to sentimental here.

Just a little warning though, most of what i saw in this trailer didnt really surprise me based on what what makingstarwars.com and starwars7news.com have reported on so be careful and try not reading too much into things.

EDIT: Does Kylo Ren look a bit like Revan? I think there is some inspiration here. I think thats great that they are appeasing to people who enjoyed the old republic stories. They did say they want to make as many fans as happy as possible and what better way than to draw things from other areas of the franchise. Also his Lightsaber looks old to me in that photo. I think it must have belonged to someone prior to him maybe during the Old republic wars.

Why is that a big deal? We see a crashed Star Destroyer at the beginning of the trailer.

To me, it isn't. There's so many degrees of "blind" that people try to go in though that it's generally best to play it safe in any threads not marked as spoiler threads. That's all I was trying to express.

I was kinda here and there on the trailer at times. And when announced, I felt the decision to bring back HF was a cheap way to tie it to the original trilogy.

But holy fuck I marked out hard when I saw Han Solo in the trailer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom