• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail copies of GTA5 come on 7 DVD discs

GUN-NAC

Shame it's still DRM'd. With San Andreas, the original PC retail release is the one you want, not the latest steam version.

styl3s

They should have sold the game in four neatly packed and customized 8GB usb sticks. That woulda blown minds.

EDIT:

HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHAHA!
I am 100% for selling games on thumb drives and it shouldn't be too expensive to produce them i mean shit i can walk in best buy and get a 16GB drive for like $8

I haven't had an optical drive in like 4 years.

Komo

Banned
Am I like the only one here excited to receive the retail version? It's going to look fantastic on my shelf, and I can't wait to read the over the top manual Rockstar always puts in.

Really feels like I'll get my money's worth out of it, instead of just buying a download key for a service that will inevitably go down at some point in the future and render any purchases useless

I believe it's time for a comeback for these babies:
396426-classic_excellent_harman_kardon_fl_8450_multi_disc_cd_changer_player.jpg
g

DrSlek

I'm actually considering buying this retail for the first time since 2009....I have a 100GB per month limit, and 65GB for a game is just ridiculous.

cakefoo

On the other hand, PC has basically moved on to digital for everything anyway. I think the only thing I've used the disc drive on my computer for is ripping music from Club Nintendo CD's.
PC has been digital since before 5.25" floppy discs.

Perhaps you mean downloads. :)

JP

This is funny, but also, I remember the "old days" so it doesn't seem that bad I suppose. I just hope that people buying this don't also have to download the 7 DVDs worth of patches on launch day.

EDIT:
Looking at the bright side, at least you don't have to put up with hours of this sort of thing as you and your friend try and load the game. :(

Mulgrok

PCs would have shifted to the BD standard long ago if retailers hadn't stopped carrying physical copies of games.

xemumanic

I am 100% for selling games on thumb drives and it shouldn't be too expensive to produce them i mean shit i can walk in best buy and get a 16GB drive for like $8

I haven't had an optical drive in like 4 years.

That's a nice alternative. Reusable too. And much faster for the retail angle.

im talking sell games on fucking USB sticks for all I care

I don't even like regular hard drives. those spin too

I don't like spinning loading media go away. everything be ssds

Pretty much. I won't buy a laptop if it has a disk drive in it, for example. All that wasted space that could have gone to more battery, better cooling, or more powah.

I eagerly await intel's next-gen flash technology that apparently will allow us to get rid of our HDDs with 2.5 inch SSDs up to 10TB.

RedSwirl

I'll be buying this physical version. Putting in all those discs is STILL faster than downloading it on my internet connection, and that 60GB is a decent chunk of my data cap.

At least this game on PC comes in a nice box. I'm tired of games like Wolfenstein just stacking four DVDs on top of one another.

And about Blu-Rays, GTA IV on PC actually had a Blu-Ray ROM version. Guess it didn't go so well.

SparkTR

I'd really like to see some stats on this someday, especially world wide, I still think PC retail is larger than digital in a lot of places, but might just be anecdotal stuff

also steam is fucking rip off compared to some stores around here (5-10€ price difference), but most games come with a steam code anyway so meh

PC digital accounts for 92% of PC game sales as of 2013. You can go check their methodology, but when a PC (and European) focused publisher like Paradox announced 90% of their sales were digital back in 2011, it isn't hard to believe that figure.

Digital on PC superseded Blu-ray for gaming, much like streaming services like Netflix superseded it for mass market video content.

laxu

I've got a physical version on preorder but now I'm thinking of canceling it and try to get a digital version cheaper from that Brazil thing. I hate that DVD is still the defacto format for PC games and everything is now 4+ DVDs just to install. Thankfully you at least no longer have to have a DVD in the drive to play.

The only reason I still buy the physical versions (from UK online sellers) is that it's usually about 45 euros and the digital on Steam is 50-60.

BigDug13

They're not going to change the standard from DVD to bluray discs for PC games. Just stop asking for it.

Why would a company EVER deliberately cut off ANY consumers from their game when it's a game that installs and you put the discs away anyway? Bluray drives play DVD's, but not the other way around. It's no mystery why PC physical games still come on DVD because these companies want as many sales as possible, and alienating any potential buyers because of something as frivolous as installation medium is bad business. What difference does it really make outside of the installation inconvenience?

Mohonky

I literally cannot work out why I put a bluray drive in my PC.

I have to buy software to play bluray movies and all the games I purchase, when i do buy physical copies, are on DVD's; made worse by the fact its actually faster for me to download the game than it is to install by disc.

My bluray drive just sits in the PC doing nothing.

I have to buy software to play bluray movies and all the games I purchase, when i do buy physical copies, are on DVD's; made worse by the fact its actually faster for me to download the game than it is to install by disc.

I watch a lot of movies with mine. Buying software to get proper support does suck though.

SparkTR

Glad I got a BluRay drive for my desktop. DVD should be phased out.

How many games have you used that for? I got a BR drive for my PC a while back, never used it for games due to everything being digital, never used it for movies due to more things being on Netflix or HBO Go (or in my old DVD collection). The technology, for me at least, has been a massive disappointment.

I would have preferred HD-DVD to win due to it's better multimedia capabilities. At least then it would have offered me something wholly different than what I was already getting.

Mohonky

I watch a lot of movies with mine. Buying software to get proper support does suck though.

How much and which software? Thing is I am likely to just run it to my TV anyway, but i was curious to put my copy of Digital Video Essentials bluray in the PC to double check that my OC output is correct and even do my PC monitor setup.

How much and which software? Thing is I am likely to just run it to my TV anyway, but i was curious to put my copy of Digital Video Essentials bluray in the PC to double check that my OC output is correct and even do my PC monitor setup.

Power DVD, and by a lot I mean 7 XD

LQX

Some keep mentioning Blu ray. Oh please. Not enough games are that huge to really justify having one and this would have probably been the first game to really do so and then many would be trying to justify dropping $50 on new drive and $60 for the game. Hell, if doing a new PC build tomorrow I would probably not buy a Blu ray drive and just stick my old DVD drive in there.

fun facts I just looked up

Amiga floppy = 880k
BaSS = 15 floppies
= 13,200 Kilobytes or 13.2 Megabytes

BaSS Remastered for iOS = 144 Megabytes
roughly 10X bigger

you gotta wonder how much of that is 32/64bit address space

Actually, the PC version was around that size. I'm assuming that the 256 colour graphics (rather than 32) and the speech made up the difference.

Caayn

Ahh a thing of beauty :)
PCs would have shifted to the BD standard long ago if retailers hadn't stopped carrying physical copies of games.
Doubt it.

Besides in Europe practically every retailer that sells games also sells physical PC games. I still buy a lot of physical PC games and I love it. Most of the time buying physical is also cheaper than Steam.

Hasney

The software came with my blu-ray drive. Hell, it even writes BD-R and plays HD-DVD. It's a fantastic drive.

virtualS

Ridiculous. I've had a BluRay drive on my PC for half a decade. At least include a BRD as the 8th.

Too big to download.

Top Bottom