• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne patch notes

Those storage changes are a godsend. I wonder if they'll buff my kawaii Blades of Mercy too? Not that they really need it or anything.. but it would be neat.

Alo0oy

Banned
100% agree with you. I really like bloodborne, but it just doesn't have the legs dark souls 1 or 2 had.

Funnily enough, it already surpassed the legs of Dark Souls 2. Which shows that a game needs more than just bloat to have legs.

You're only supposed to play one way: aggressive and fast

That's not a playstyle, that's game design, you couldn't play fast & aggressive in Dark Souls either.

Do you want to do a run where you tank it up and try dealing with your slowness and huge stamina penalty? nope

Were you expecting wearing heavy armor & metal shields in Bloodborne's setting? Conversely, you couldn't have the mobility found in Bloodborne in Dark Souls.

want a deep magic system as a different way to fight? nope

There is magic in this game, fortunately it's not overpowered enough to turn all the bosses into absolute jokes.

want to try for a ranged build? Well there's guns, but the game clearly isn't designed for an all-gun playthrough even though it can be done

Haven't tried a Bloodtinge build with the Evelyn, have you? Of course you won't be able to sit in a corner & spam L2, that's not called a ranged build, that's called cheese. Regardless, Evelyn is extremely powerful for Bloodtinge builds.

The consumables really is a step backwards from the estus system and ditto for the hub world design

So resource management is a step down from unlimited resources. & do you really want to compare the world design of Bloodborne to the second half of Dark Souls, or the entirety of Dark Souls 2? You lost me here.

Likewise, I love the atmosphere but at the same time wish there was a little more variety. Not that I think there should have been a lava/crystal/disease/desert/snow areas like the souls games, but just something to have the mood branch out some. Being night time the entire game probably doesn't help that, but it seems like they took something like New Londo Ruins and made a whole game out of just that environment.

& that's why Bloodborne is Miyazaki's best designed world yet, it doesn't shy away from its main theme to appease to the "I WANT RAINBOWS & VARIETY" crowd, Bloodborne is thematically consistent, there's nothing in the world that doesn't make sense.

The chalice dungeons sounded really cool when first announced, but after playing them I feel like I'm playing oblivion dungeons. I just don't want to - it's a chore of bordom and the bosses there are mostly forgettable - not to mention repeated a million times. They all feel like the reject bosses who are just randomly shoved in there just cause.

I half agree here, the environment is boring in the Chalice Dungeons, & it taked a while to get to the more fun & challenging Dungeons, but did you really call Abhorrent Beast, Pthumerian Descendant, Watch Dog, & Yharnam forgetable? Nothing in Dark Souls 2 touches those bosses, & in the casr of Abhorrent Beast, it's up there with the best designed Souls bosses.

New Game Plus scales the difficulty up much higher than the souls games which I like, but I just can't help feel bored with the game after playing through it twice.

So this is why there's a lot of misinformation in your post (no offense).

Alo0oy

Banned
Those storage changes are a godsend. I wonder if they'll buff my kawaii Blades of Mercy too? Not that they really need it or anything.. but it would be neat.

The Blades of Mercy have the highest dps in the game, it's the last weapon in the game that needs a buff.

The Rifle Spear is the weapon in most need of a buff. It's great in the first half of the game, but loses out to other weapons later because of its poor scaling with everything.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh really, I had no idea. Well, that's pretty cool.

It's not that great at low level due to its low initial base damage, so I understand your confusion, but a +10 BoM has phenomenal scaling with skill, a +10 50 skill BoM melts through enemies like butter.

Monday (25/5)

They also apparently said on the SCEJ stream that 'the Expansion/DLC will be big, bigger than what people probably expect.

yes!

vha.gif

edit. according to dualshocker, Kitao said that info about the expansion will be shared after E3

GorillaJu

BOM also has fantastic stun properties, given how fast they attack.

I'm a huge fan of the Beast Claw myself. Rushed through the opening areas to the Chalice for the claws and holy hell I'm ripping everything to shreds with them. I killed Rom so fast he didn't even have time to get one teleport off.

Also, Mr Yamagiwa told me that the Hunter Tools (the magic items) will be getting a buff in this patch, but that was over a month ago so that info may have changed.

Edit: Oh I just noticed that line in the patch notes. Somehow it evaded me before...

There's too much here that's too subjective to respond to (you're welcome to all of your opinions, but that's as far as they go) so I'm just picking one part.

Souls games have never had "deep magic systems". Please. They've had magic as an option, yes, but the systems have never, ever been deep. They range from "herp, projectiles" to "derp, buffs" for...you guessed it, MELEE WEAPONS. Or even worse, the "set it and forget it" spells like Homing Soul Mass and its variations. These systems are extremely shallow.

Still, options are never a bad thing, which is why, again, you're entitled to your opinion that Bloodborne is a weaker game for lacking magic.

Just as I'm entitled to my opinion that melee combat is the only satisfying way to fight in every Souls game.

I will be incredibly disappointed if the next Souls type game by From slows combat back down. Add more options, by all means, but don't slow it back down. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were already slower than Demon's. I'd be sad if they slowed it down again.

Removing the level range for co-op sounds horrible.

Level 50 invader invades level 50 host with level 300 buddy. Unless there is some kind of mechanic that downscales the level of the co-op partner, this would suck. As if the invasion system in this game was not cumbersome enough...

Yup, this was my first thought as well. I'm not a fan.

GorillaJu

There's too much here that's too subjective to respond to (you're welcome to all of your opinions, but that's as far as they go) so I'm just picking one part.

Souls games have never had "deep magic systems". Please. They've had magic as an option, yes, but the systems have never, ever been deep. They range from "herp, projectiles" to "derp, buffs" for...you guessed it, MELEE WEAPONS. Or even worse, the "set it and forget it" spells like Homing Soul Mass and its variations. These systems are extremely shallow.

Still, options are never a bad thing, which is why, again, you're entitled to your opinion that Bloodborne is a weaker game for lacking magic.

Just as I'm entitled to my opinion that melee combat is the only satisfying way to fight in every Souls game.

I will be incredibly disappointed if the next Souls type game by From slows combat back down. Add more options, by all means, but don't slow it back down. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were already slower than Demon's. I'd be sad if they slowed it down again.

I think slower combat is absolutely okay. I love BB's fast combat, but what really makes it special is the incredible depth and variety of attacks you have with the weapons. Even without the high speeds, if the animations are this good, the variety of attacks you can do this good, etc. then I think slow or fast, the game will be fun and satisfying to play. Obviously enemies would have to be rebalanced to fit that, but I wouldn't say that taking the speed down a notch for the next game would necessarily be a bad thing, so long as the responsiveness, precision and depth remain at top tier levels.

I think slower combat is absolutely okay. I love BB's fast combat, but what really makes it special is the incredible depth and variety of attacks you have with the weapons. Even without the high speeds, if the animations are this good, the variety of attacks you can do this good, etc. then I think slow or fast, the game will be fun and satisfying to play. Obviously enemies would have to be rebalanced to fit that, but I wouldn't say that taking the speed down a notch for the next game would necessarily be a bad thing, so long as the responsiveness, precision and depth remain at top tier levels.

"A notch" is fine. Bloodborne back down to Dark Soul 1 speed isn't just "a notch", though. And no, I'm not saying I can no longer play DkS1 and DkS2 after Bloodborne. I'm not that ridiculous or hyperbolic. All of the Souls games still feel amazing to play. Bloodborne's or Demon's speeds are my preference, though.

GorillaJu

"A notch" is fine. Bloodborne back down to Dark Soul 1 speed isn't just "a notch", though.

But DS1 had amazing combat so I don't see anything wrong with a return to DS1 speeds since presumably with the PS4's power and with all the improvements the engine has gotten, surely it'll still be an upgrade?

spliced

I don't get why they ever had such a small limit on vials and bullets in the first place.

Put me down for combat speed closer to Dark Souls 1. In PvE it's close, but for PvP Dark Souls 1(or 2) speed is way better. Bloodborne PvP is so boring.

How possible is it to play Dark Souls similarly to Bloodborne?

I'm thinking about getting DS2, but I have no interest in constantly holding a shield button.

I'm thinking about getting DS2, but I have no interest in constantly holding a shield button.

Shields have never been mandatory. I've done a shieldless playthrough of every Souls game. On Dark Souls 2 it was even my first run of the game (dual wielded the entire time).

Ds1's speed is fine in my opinion. Itll take getting used to coming for BB but id be fine with it. So long as theyre using the DeS/Ds1/BB engine as the base. I really dont want them to use whatever they made for Ds2. The game is far too slow and animations and movements lack any weight.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I wonder if this means we can now do password PvP if one guy is vile blood and the other is an executioner. That would definitely make me play the game a lot more.

But haven't people already done that? PVPs in Hunter's Dreams are using that method right? Although by using beckoning/resonance bell instead of sinister.

But haven't people already done that? PVPs in Hunter's Dreams are using that method right? Although by using beckoning/resonance bell instead of sinister.

Not really related to your post, but I wonder.

If a level 30 password matches with a level 150, what level could possible invaders be? Because if it's just people in the level 30's range... poor invaders.

Crzy1

Awesome patch notes. May go and play some chalice dungeons when it's released, but probably not since they're not very fun. Really wish they could figure out the frame pacing issue, though.

Donos

Well i wanted go try PVP a bit more but with this ... don't want to fight ppl who bring in their lvl500 buddies.

Alo0oy

Banned
"A notch" is fine. Bloodborne back down to Dark Soul 1 speed isn't just "a notch", though. And no, I'm not saying I can no longer play DkS1 and DkS2 after Bloodborne. I'm not that ridiculous or hyperbolic. All of the Souls games still feel amazing to play. Bloodborne's or Demon's speeds are my preference, though.

The thing is, putting the speed of Bloodborne into Dark Souls would make it incredible easy, can you imagine having fast rolls AND shields?

Anyway, I understand your point, the combat in Bloodborne is so satisfying that I don't want to think how much slower Dark Souls 3 is gonna be.

I hope the Dark Souls 2 team learned a lot from Bloodborne, perhaps they can add some of the expanded moveset found in Bloodborne while keeping the speed intact? I don't know, & to be honest, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes, a lot of people are going to expect the combat depth from Bloodborne in Dark Souls 3 despite it not being possible due to the lack of weapon transformation.

Anyway, I'm excited for what they're up to, especially after reading the Famitsu interview with the Dark Souls 2 director, it looks like he learned a lot from his mistakes.

The thing is, putting the speed of Bloodborne into Dark Souls would make it incredible easy, can you imagine having fast rolls AND shields?

Anyway, I understand your point, the combat in Bloodborne is so satisfying that I don't want to think how much slower Dark Souls 3 is gonna be.

I hope the Dark Souls 2 team learned a lot from Bloodborne, perhaps they can add some of the expanded moveset found in Bloodborne while keeping the speed intact? I don't know, & to be honest, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes, a lot of people are going to expect the combat depth from Bloodborne in Dark Souls 3 despite it not being possible due to the lack of transformation.

Anyway, I'm excited for what they're up to, especially after reading the Famitsu interview with the Dark Souls 2 director, it looks like he learned a lot from his mistakes.

Yeah. I've made it pretty clear that faster is my preference, but nowhere have I said "I will absolutely not play the next game if it's slower or different." I'm tethered to From's action rpgs for life at this point. Honorbound to play every single action rpg they release from now until the world burns down
or the gaming industry collapses.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

do you have a link to this? I love developer post-mortems.

GorillaJu

Not really related to your post, but I wonder.

If a level 30 password matches with a level 150, what level could possible invaders be? Because if it's just people in the level 30's range... poor invaders.

Can you be invaded if you're using a password? I think the invaders must know the password as well.

100% agree with you. I really like bloodborne, but it just doesn't have the legs dark souls 1 or 2 had.

You're only supposed to play one way: aggressive and fast

Do you want to do a run where you tank it up and try dealing with your slowness and huge stamina penalty? nope

want a deep magic system as a different way to fight? nope

want to try for a ranged build? Well there's guns, but the game clearly isn't designed for an all-gun playthrough even though it can be done

The consumables really is a step backwards from the estus system and ditto for the hub world design

The game looks remarkable - really nice, but since this is a game where speed and reflexes are paramount, the gameplay is asking for 60fps

Likewise, I love the atmosphere but at the same time wish there was a little more variety. Not that I think there should have been a lava/crystal/disease/desert/snow areas like the souls games, but just something to have the mood branch out some. Being night time the entire game probably doesn't help that, but it seems like they took something like New Londo Ruins and made a whole game out of just that environment.

The chalice dungeons sounded really cool when first announced, but after playing them I feel like I'm playing oblivion dungeons. I just don't want to - it's a chore of bordom and the bosses there are mostly forgettable - not to mention repeated a million times. They all feel like the reject bosses who are just randomly shoved in there just cause.

New Game Plus scales the difficulty up much higher than the souls games which I like, but I just can't help feel bored with the game after playing through it twice.

However, I see this game as being an actual a modern castlevania, much more so than the new castlevania games which is cool. So good job to them on that at least.

Personally I finished every Souls game, but Bloodborne is my favorite and I put more time into it than all the others. There are fewer weapons, but they have so much more depth... Also it took me a bit, but I am in love with the PvP. And unlike others I also like the dungeons. Leveling up without actually leveling up rocks. ;D I loved DS2, love Bloodborne now, every game stands on its own for me.

Hypron

I hope the Dark Souls 2 team learned a lot from Bloodborne, perhaps they can add some of the expanded moveset found in Bloodborne while keeping the speed intact? I don't know, & to be honest, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes, a lot of people are going to expect the combat depth from Bloodborne in Dark Souls 3 despite it not being possible due to the lack of weapon transformation.

Why do you assume the enemies would be exactly the same as in the existing games? If that new game had a faster tempo enemies would attack faster as well, which means dodging and blocking their attacks would be harder too. The game would only be "incredibly easy" if it was poorly designed.

love Bloodborne now, every game stands on its own for me.

Preach it, brother.

Why do you assume the enemies would be exactly the same as in the existing games? If that new game had a faster tempo enemies would attack faster as well, which means dodging and blocking their attacks would be harder too. The game would only be "incredibly easy" if it was poorly designed.

Well yeah, and I'd have to agree with him that giving us a character as fast as we have in Bloodborne PLUS shields as ridiculously impervious as the previous Souls games would be pretty bad design.

It's not that great at low level due to its low initial base damage, so I understand your confusion, but a +10 BoM has phenomenal scaling with skill, a +10 50 skill BoM melts through enemies like butter.

Oh, they're already at +10, I just don't have any other high level weapons to compare it to. Burial Blade and Whip +7 are my strongest secondary weapon.

My skill is around 40ish.

Not that it really matters, I'd use BoM even if they had mediocre damage. Love the playstyle. ^_^

Removing the level range for co-op sounds horrible.

Level 50 invader invades level 50 host with level 300 buddy. Unless there is some kind of mechanic that downscales the level of the co-op partner, this would suck. As if the invasion system in this game was not cumbersome enough...

Why are you invading somebody with a password who is going to be a dick about it?

I don't see the negative with this change at all.

Alo0oy

Banned

The enemied would need to be pretty damn fast AND powerful to avoid that, but if they balance the game that way, shieldless builds would be godawful, since the enemies are balanced around you having high mobility & a shield.

Why are you invading somebody with a password who is going to be a dick about it?

I don't see the negative with this change at all.

Huh? He doesn't get to choose who he invades. If the system allows a low level to summon a high level through passwords, but invaders are matched to the low level's range, then I can see his complaint. But we don't know one way or the other how that system will work right now.

Yoloswaggins

Neo Member
What the fuck is wrong with some people, there's people here refusing to play the game because of framepacing?

I don't even know what the fuck that is
-_-

Gurish

Wonder why they can't fix the frame pacing issue, it's not a performance thing that they need to optimize the code for, only technical procedure, what is taking them so long?!

Minamu

Sigh, this news comes two days after I got my platinum :lol Are there any videos showing this framepacing thing? Never noticed it in 80+ hours.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh, they're already at +10, I just don't have any other high level weapons to compare it to. Burial Blade and Whip +7 are my strongest secondary weapon.

My skill is around 40ish.

Not that it really matters, I'd use BoM even if they had mediocre damage. Love the playstyle. ^_^

Well, their damage isn't that high per hit if that's what you mean, they have high dps, but the weapon needs a lot of stamina if you want to stunlock enemies into a combo

The most important part is that they're the most fun weapon to use in any game ever. It having the highest dps in the game is just a bonus.

I've usually been sword and board in Souls when melee. But after Bloodborne, I've been running shield-less, two-handing and duel-wielding in DS2. From wasn't kidding about shield "passivity". Shield combat seems too slow now for me.

To dodge-roll like Bloodborne, just make sure to keep equip load under 50% for fast rolls and boost ADP / ATT to get your AGI way up there. I really started to feel comfortable with rolls once I hit 95 AGI, but going higher felt even better. It just sucks grinding ADP to get to that point though.

Alo0oy

Banned
The game runs almost 30 locked, it's just that the frames are not displayed properly, EA fixed issues like that in NFS, it's fixable and not related to system's resources.

To be honest, I never had a problem with frame pacing except for some parts of Old Yharnam. What I want is for them to fix the framerate when cooping with 2 people in busy areas.

Feindflug

To be honest, I never had a problem with frame pacing except for some parts of Old Yharnam. What I want is for them to fix the framerate when cooping with 2 people in busy areas.

This is an issue with the bigger areas like Central Yarnam, from what I've seen it looks like performance problems in co-op are tied more to loading sections of the area than the game traditionally dropping frames. This should be a bigger priority than the frame-pacing issue IMO.

Still worried about the non-restrictive with passwords co-op thing and how it may affect invasions though, hopefully From won't kill (the already lackluster when compared to the Souls games) PvP in this game with this patch. :(

Top Bottom