• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 5/5 - 5/11

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul 5 - 20.000
NDS Luminous Arc 2 - 20.000 (60k shipment)
WII Totsugeki!! Famicom Wars VS - 12.000
360 The Darkness - 2.000 (30% sell through)
PS2 Aoishiro LE - 2.000 (40% sell through)
PSP Ikuze! Gen-San: Yuuyake Daiku Monogatari - 1.000

Both Bleach and Luminous Arc improve very slighty their previous entries openings, it seems the first LA value crumbled so the shipment this time is smaller.

Hey Kurosaki; who is publishing the Darkness in Japan? Spike?

Magicpaint said:
What's the LTD for the first Luminous Arc?

63k per Japan-Gamecharts.com

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
Actually the Namco leak showed they were doubling their PSP titles (14 for the fiscal year) because of the PSP hardware surge. So publishers might give the PSP another shot because of the great HW numbers it's been doing. But who knows if Japanese gamers will want
to pay for
those new games.
The leak was nonsensical... it also showed just three 360 releases for the year when they've already announced seven games coming up. Sales didn't align either, unless Scamco shipped like 500k of Time Crisis 4. :lol

If you'd like to see what Namco Bandai have actually announced coming up...

PlayStation 2 (3 announced/12 expected)
-Drastic Killer (Tenky)
-Super Robot Taisen Z (Banpresto)
-Yamasa Digi World: Collaboration SP Pachi-Slot Ridge Racer (Yamasa)

PlayStation 3 (6 announced/6 expected)
-Afro Samurai (Namco Hometek)
-Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Dimps)
-Eternal Sonata (tri-Crescendo)
-Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (CyberConnect2)
-Soul Calibur IV (Namco)
-Tekken 6 (Namco)

Xbox 360 (7 announced/3 expected?!)
-Afro Samurai (Namco Hometek)
-Magna Carta 2 (Banpresto/Softmax)
-Mobile Ops: The One Year War (BEC/Dimps)
-Soul Calibur IV (Namco)
-Tales of Vespiria (Tales Studio)
-Warhammer: Battle March (Black Hole)

Wii (13 announced/14 expected)
-Active Life Outdoor Challenge (Namco)
-Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch (???)
-Daikaiju Battle: Ultra Coliseum (???)
-Fragile: Sayonara Tsuki no Haikyo (Namco/tri-Crescendo)
-Haruhi Suzumiya (???)
-One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1 (Ganbarion)
-One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2 (Ganbarion)
-Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium (Namco)
-Taiko no Tatsujin (Namco)
-Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Tales Studio)
-The Sky Crawlers (Namco)
-We Cheer (Namco)
-We Ski (Namco)

PSP (3 announced/14 expected)
-Gundam Battle Universe (BEC)
-Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 2: The Phantom Fortress (CyberConnect2)
-Super Robot Taisen A Portable (Banpresto)

Nintendo DS (18 announced/34 expected)
-99 no Namida (???)
-Bokura no Telebi Game Kentei (???)
-Dr. Slump & Arale-Chan (BEC)
-Dragon Ball (???)
-Chibi Maruko-Chan DS: Maru-Chan no Machi (Banpresto)
-Custom Beat Battle: Draglade 2 (Dimps)
-Digimon World Championship (Epics)
-Emblem of Gundam (Microvision)
-Gegege no Kitarou: Youkai Daigekisen (BEC)
-Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Namco)
-Mugen no Frontier: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga (Monolith)
-National Geographic Panda (Namco)
-Summon Night (Flight-Plan)
-Summon Night 2 (Flight-Plan)
-Tales of ... (???)
-Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop 3 (Dimps)
-Tottadoo! Yoiko no Mujintou Seikatsu (???)

Stumpokapow said:
Hey Kurosaki; who is publishing the Darkness in Japan? Spike?
Yeah, Spike. It has a CERO Z rating btw, and the PS3 release is due out on 6/26.

About the Namco lists, I wasn't here to comment when it showed up but (I think) the amount of titles in the forecast section is something along the lines of software due in Japan minus software due overseas too. They often do weird stuff like that in their reports...

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
About the Namco lists, I wasn't here to comment when it showed up but the amount of titles in the forecast section is something along the lines of software due in Japan minus software due overseas too.
Well then, that'd make the lists...

-Drastic Killer (Tenky)

PlayStation 3 (5 announced/6 expected)
-Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (CyberConnect2)
-Soul Calibur IV (Namco)
-Tekken 6 (Namco)

Xbox 360 (5 announced/3 expected?!)
-Mobile Ops: The One Year War (BEC/Dimps)
-Soul Calibur IV (Namco)
-Tales of Vespiria (Tales Studio)

Wii (12 announced/14 expected)
-Active Life Outdoor Challenge (Namco)
-Haruhi Suzumiya (???)
-Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Tales Studio)
-We Cheer (Namco)

PSP (2 announced/14 expected)

Nintendo DS (17 announced/34 expected)
-99 no Namida (???)
-Dragon Ball (???)
-Digimon World Championship (Epics)
-National Geographic Panda (Namco)
-Tales of ... (???)

...the 360 numbers *still* don't align. Even if you take out Banpresto stuff, there's still too many JP 360 releases... nevermind the sales end (exactly how much did TC4 sell again?).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, Spike. It has a CERO Z rating btw, and the PS3 release is due out on 6/26.

No surprise on the CERO Z. The game is pretty much the epitome of the kind of stuff that Americans don't really mind but that the Japanese would be bothered by. The fact that feeding the enemy's hearts to a demon snake thing that comes out of your body is a core gameplay mechanic alone is probably enough for a Z.

Also strange that they're doing the 360 release a month before the PS3 release. A lot of Western games being published in Japan are having this happen, and it's not readily apparent why. I don't think it hurts sales really, but it doesn't seem to help them either--especially when you consider that the sales target for both SKUs combined is still going to be in the low-mid five digits.

About the Namco lists, I wasn't here to comment when it showed up but the amount of titles in the forecast section is something along the lines of software due in Japan minus software due overseas too.

I think that's what the speculation settled on in the end. Unfortunately these financial documents really aren't made for people with a personal interest in the business; they're made for people with a business interest in the business. Those sort of micro-level details that interest us are unlikely to interest a high-level investor who's juggling five portfolios. :D

jarrod said:
Well then, that'd make the lists...

...the 360 numbers *still* don't align. Even if you take out Banpresto stuff, there's still too many JP 360 releases... nevermind the sales end (exactly how much did TC4 sell again?).
Mmm, I meant the opposite. Titles that will be released just in Japan, or maybe titles that won't be released worldwide (f.e ToV according to them). I honestly don't know. Will check the japanese pdf to see if its clearer there.

TC4 should be lower than 370k shipped since thats the latest title in their top10.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Mmm, I meant the opposite. Titles that will be released just in Japan, or maybe titles that won't be released worldwide (f.e ToV according to them). I honestly don't know. Will check the japanese pdf to see if its clearer there.

TC4 should be lower than 370k shipped since thats the latest title in their top10.
Just Japan? Well then...

-Drastic Killer (Tenky)

PlayStation 3 (1 announced/6 expected)

Xbox 360 (1 announced/3 expected)

Wii (9 announced/14 expected)
-Haruhi Suzumiya (???)

PSP (2 announced/14 expected)

Nintendo DS (14 announced/34 expected)
-99 no Namida (???)
-Tales of ... (???)

...still seems to be pushing it though, especially for PS2/PSP. The only way it could possibly be accurate imo if they're counting reprints or something.

And on the sales end, it still doesn't add up. 420k for RR7 plus Gundam Musou (under 370k) plus Time Crisis 4 (under 370k) adds up to 1.28m? I mean what's going on here?! :lol

Pellham

Banned
:lol @ companies increasing PSP software output despite the fact that while the hardware is obviously selling, nobody is actually buying the games if the top 30 lists are any indication.

Acosta

Conrad Link said:
Monster Hunter 3 is going to destroy Japan.

That is of course if they survive DQ9.

I have my doubts, It will certainly be succesful but I still see a Pokemon situation here, where the console version doesn't sell as much as the portable one, not even in a popular system (past numbers of Monster Hunters for PS2 show this). It certainly could happen that the new userbase for the game went in masses to the Wii version, but I am in position of wait and see for that.

DQ9 will be huge, I have no doubts about that.

About PSP, I think games will sell when the right games come. Monster Hunter sells, Crisis Core sold well, and I'm sure Kingdom Hearts will sell well too. The good thing about PSP is that Japanese companies has a huge library of assets that they could use for PSP and I beliebe they could make fast games if they thought there was a potential there. There was gossips about Capcom seeing PSP with other eyes, and looks like that with Namco Bandai, who knows, in any case is an excellent base for Sony to build a PSP2, having learnt from their mistakes.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Ichigo, I fucking hate you. You caused jarrod to repost that long ass pointless list twice more! ON PURPOSE! :(
I've done it six times actually. :lol

<3 <3 listz!

Acosta said:
I have my doubts, It will certainly be succesful but I still see a Pokemon situation here, where the console version doesn't sell as much as the portable one, not even in a popular system (past numbers of Monster Hunters for PS2 show this). It certainly could happen that the new userbase for the game went in masses to the Wii version, but I am in position of wait and see for that.
Past numbers of MH on PS2 show an overall gradual franchise increase rather than some console/handheld paradigm. I also don't see any real relevance with the Pokecomparison given we've never seen a full console Pokemon from Game Freak.

NeonZ

Acosta said:

I can understand what you're saying, but I don't see how Pokemon is a good reference, at all. There has never been a Red/Blue style Pokemon game for consoles, after all, but Monster Hunter 3 should be a new game in the main line of that series.

Acosta

jarrod said:

<3 <3 listz!

Past numbers of MH on PS2 show an overall gradual franchise increase rather than some console/handheld paradigm. I also don't see any real relevance with the Pokecomparison given we've never seen a full console Pokemon from Game Freak.

We have seen RPG games, but not at the same scale of Game Freak ones, that's true. It's a very old argument that we have discussed many times already, but I'm on the field that a Game Freak console game wouldn't work in Japan like a portable one, as the appeal of sharing and dueling with friends would be diluted (and I suspect Nintendo's executives think in the same way).

The exponential growth of Monster Hunter is related to the portability of PSP, the growth is not as important in PS2. That is how I see it but, again, I'm not predicting one or other scenario, I'm just saying that I'm cautious about that assumption.

jarrod

Banned
Acosta said:
We have seen RPG games, but not at the same scale of Game Freak ones, that's true. It's a very old argument that we have discussed many times already, but I'm on the field that a Game Freak console game wouldn't work in Japan like a console one, as the appeal of sharing and dueling with friends would be diluted.
I'm not arguing the merits of console Pokemon, just your comparison. It's flawed at best.

Acosta said:
The exponential grow of Monster Hunter is related to the portability of PSP, the growth is not as important in PS2. But, again, I'm not predicting one or otehr scenario, I'm just saying that I'm cautious about that assumption.
Maybe, but we actually saw a similar increase between MH2 and MHP, which were released around the same time. The sales increase for the series scales by timeline, not platform... we've really no idea how a PS2 MH would sell today, and reaching back to 2+ year old releases for comparison is a bit disingenuous, that's the point.

DNF

In this Bandai-Namco forecast there are two titles listed for "other" home consoles.
what console could it be ?

Eccocid

imo cell shading in Valkyria looks really decent...there is an added filter on it thats all..again imo TF2 has much better shader...

Acosta

jarrod said:
I'm not arguing the merits of console Pokemon, just your comparison. It's flawed at best.

I disagree about that as, in my comparison, the key element is not the content of both games but the portability. For me, there are certain conditions that make the core Pokemon more satisfactory as a portable game than an hypothetical version with the same conditions for console, and I think Monster Hunter could be in the same (hypothetical) situation, where content and presentation is not as important as playing with friends in the school.

jarrod

Banned
Acosta said:
I disagree about that as, in my comparison, the key element is not the content of both games but the portability. For me, there are certain conditions that make the core Pokemon more satisfactory as a portable game than an hypothetical version with the same conditions for console, and I think Monster Hunter could be in the same (hypothetical) situation, where content and presentation is not as important as playing with friends in the school.
It's a flawed comparison precisely because it hinges fundamentally on hypotheticals. You're basing MH3's potential performance on a comparison to a (hypothetical) console Pokemon doing worse based on (hypothetical) trends in both series. There's literally nothing concrete here.

duckroll said:
Ichigo, I fucking hate you. You caused jarrod to repost that long ass pointless list twice more! ON PURPOSE! :(
Damn, now that I understood Namdai numbers and I was going to explain it so jarrod could fix his list and repost it again...come on, you don't want jarrod to keep an incorrect listing, do you? :(

jarrod

Banned
DNF said:
In this Bandai-Namco forecast there are two titles listed for "other" home consoles.
what console could it be ?
iPod?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Damn, now that I understood Namdai numbers and I was going to explain it so jarrod could fix his list and repost it again...come on, you don't want jarrod to keep an incorrect listing, do you? :(
I've got my fingers hovering over CTRL+C! <3 <3

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 78 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.6 weeks (June 29, 2000), where PSP was at 49.5 weeks (November 16, 2005), where GCN was at 71.1 weeks (January 19, 2003), and where Wii was at 19.3 weeks (April 10, 2007).

It's worth noting that since PS3 finally worked through GameCube's holiday 2002 numbers, it has the chance to gain some ground back against it.

Wii comparisons: After 75 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 77.2 weeks (September 9, 2002), wehre DS was at 64.9 weeks (February 25, 2006), where PS2 was at 94.3 weeks (December 18, 2001), and wehre PSP was at 144.9 weeks (September 15, 2007).

Wii should stop making such progress against the historical PSP now, since it's reached where PSP was when Crisis Core/Slim kicked things up.

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 36.3 / 63.7, bringing total shares to 70.8 / 29.2. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 342.3 weeks (December 2, 2014). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 147.2 weeks (March 8, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 10.7 / 89.3, the single most Wii-leaning week since Wii's launch week. That brings total shares to 25.4 / 74.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 490.7 weeks (October 6, 2017).

JavyOO7

While Nintendo are getting mega sales in America and Europe it seems like its a much more somber effect in Japan usually hitting the 45k plus range week in and week out. Weird how in America it seems like there's quite a party going with all the competing consoles and the handhelds, but in Japan the 'in' thing is the handheld (which I personally do not mind, I have a fantastic DS library and the PSP is pretty good in its own right).

I wonder if Nintendo wishes it could get those astronmical sales that its getting in America to Japan. Maybe another title of Wii (something) could do the trick. Or convince 3rd party that have cold feet to come along to the Wii. But for some reason I'll doubt Nintendo will do that.

JavyOO7 said:
While Nintendo are getting mega sales in America and Europe it seems like its a much more somber effect in Japan usually hitting the 45k plus range week in and week out. Weird how in America it seems like there's quite a party going with all the competing consoles and the handhelds, but in Japan the 'in' thing is the handheld (which I personally do not mind, I have a fantastic DS library and the PSP is pretty good in its own right).

I wonder if Nintendo wishes it could get those astronmical sales that its getting in America to Japan. Maybe another title of Wii (something) could do the trick. Or convince 3rd party that have cold feet to come along to the Wii. But for some reason I'll doubt Nintendo will do that.

Well I think the astranomical sales of the DS in Japan as well US sales have kind of skewed people's expectations a little.

I mean they've got a console selling faster than the PS2 did, and completely man handling the PS3, which most would have said (did say) was impossible as little as 2 months before launch, so you have to put it in persepctive.

Obviously they'd always love more sales, but all in all, I don't think Nintendo is the one that should be worrying about coming up with a trick to "fix" their situation.

Vinci

Danish
A sidenote to the console Pokemon discussion:

I would immediately -- as in rush out and punch small children out of the way -- purchase any Game Freak developed, built from the ground up for console, Pokemon RPG. Even though I once loved the series, I grew slowly tired of it and felt there weren't significant upgrades between the versions, and the 'Gotta catch 'em all' mentality didn't have the power to keep me a consistent buyer. But a console version, on the Wii, with some more scale and dimension to what is happening in the game's world and possibly with an updating of the battle system? Hell yes. I'd be there in second.

Not saying that's true for everyone, but I'd love to one day see it happen.

PantherLotus wants to fill a gap in your hearts...

Media Create Sales: 5/5 - 5/11

mc-feelings-76.jpg

mc-legs-76.jpg

mc-weekly-pie-76.jpg

mc-weekly-line-76.jpg

This is the Wii:pS3 ratio over the last 8 weeks:
==========
Lifetime: 2.93

mc-marketshare-pie-76.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-76.jpg

Market Share Gains & Losses:
[ ] 360: - 0.04
[ ] PS3: - 0.12
[ ] Wii: + 0.17

If this week repeated forever:
[ ] The Wii would reach 70.00% on 05-25-08
[ ] The PS3 would fall to 23.00% by 06-22-08
[ ] The 360 would fall to 6.00% by 08-27-08

mc-LTD-76.jpg

mc-wii-lead-76.jpg

mc-extremelyclose-76.jpg

mc-extremelyclose-YOY-76.jpg

Year-on-year tracking
Wii: -126,746
PS3: -24,994

charted-titles-76.jpg

Notes and Next Week's Expectations
Decent results this week:

PL-MC-estimates-76.jpg

Estimated for last week - Actual = Difference
Wii: 64.3k - 67.3k = -3.0k
PS3: 8.5k - 8.0k = +0.5k
360: 1.6k - 1.3k = +0.3k

Next Week:
Wii: 62.1k
PS3: 8.5k
360: 1.4k

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
jarrod said:

<3 <3 listz!

Yeah, but people are expecting MHP2 for numbers for MH3Wii. And there is a dichotomy between handheld and console where MH is concerned. I don't have the original monster hunter numbers, but monster hunter portable reached a million (or very close). MH2 for the ps2 stalled between 600 and 700k, where MHP2 sold over 1.5 million. And now the expansion of MHP2 will probably pass 2.5 million.

That is a pretty big split there. I'll be amazed if MH3 reaches 800k, which is actually really good, but people will be disappointed when comparing it to the portable series.

But I don't think pokemon comparison works. Especially since the MH -> MHP moves are mostly lateral. That makes the sales difference even more telling.

jarrod said:
Maybe, but we actually saw a similar increase between MH2 and MHP, which were released around the same time. The sales increase for the series scales by timeline, not platform... we've really no idea how a PS2 MH would sell today, and reaching back to 2+ year old releases for comparison is a bit disingenuous, that's the point.

MHP was released 4 months before MH2, and it sold quite a bit better. MHP2 came out only a year after MH2 and more than doubled the sales. When a port is released a year later and does that much better, you better believe platform is a big reason.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I don't have the original monster hunter numbers, but monster hunter portable reached a million (or very close). MH2 for the ps2 stalled between 600 and 700k, where MHP2 sold over 1.5 million. And now the expansion of MHP2 will probably pass 2.5 million.

That is a pretty big split there.
Monster Hunter 2 came very close to being the best-selling Monster Hunter when released (missed by a few dozen K), but Monster Hunter Portable had the longer legs. Then MH2P was even bigger. Then MH2PG was even bigger. It seems less that the series is four times more popular on handhelds as that it's become significantly more popular in the last 2.5 years, during which time there have only been handheld releases. If the portable version has more than doubled since then, why couldn't a new console version?

Galactic Fork

JoshuaJSlone said:
Monster Hunter 2 came very close to being the best-selling Monster Hunter when released (missed by a few dozen K), but Monster Hunter Portable had the longer legs. Then MH2P was even bigger. Then MH2PG was even bigger. It seems less that the series is four times more popular on handhelds as that it's become significantly more popular in the last 2.5 years, during which time there have only been handheld releases. If the portable version has more than doubled since then, why couldn't a new console version?

Well... look at it like this. As you said, when mh2 came out it almost beat out MHP... A port of the original MH (with the mh expansions). After MH2 came out, what happened? It fell away and MHP was still selling. So people were choosing a port of the original game over a whole new version. And then when the release came for the portable version of that sequel that was outsold by the first portable version, it exploded. Are you just saying that the explosion happened just because the series got more popular? Why didn't they just buy the ps2 game that'd been on the market for a year? Why wasn't there a surge of MH2 before the MHP2 release to match the surge of MHP?

Remember, mhp2 isn't some suddenly new game, it's a port of MH2. And MH3 is going to do the same thing, really good sales for the console. Amazing blockbuster for the PSP port.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Are you just saying that the explosion happened just because the series got more popular? Why didn't they just buy the ps2 game that'd been on the market for a year? Why wasn't there a surge of MH2 before the MHP2 release to match the surge of MHP?
Certainly the series is more successful on PSP than on PS2. However, the PSP factor alone doesn't explain why each sequel has been more successful than the last. Since Monster Hunter Portable is now much more successful than it was 2-3 years ago, I think a new Monster Hunter Console would also be much more successful than it was 2-3 years ago.

Galactic Fork

JoshuaJSlone said:
Certainly the series is more successful on PSP than on PS2. However, the PSP factor alone doesn't explain why each sequel has been more successful than the last. Since Monster Hunter Portable is now much more successful than it was 2-3 years ago, I think a new Monster Hunter Console would also be much more successful than it was 2-3 years ago.

How much more? I'm still placing my bet (figuratively) on ~700k, 800k if it's incredibly lucky. I'm curious what other folks' guesses are.

Lobster

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
How much more? I'm still placing my bet (figuratively) on ~700k, 800k if it's incredibly lucky. I'm curious what other folks' guesses are.

I'm guessing around 550k.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I don't know, but 800K would be a much smaller jump of about a third, while MH2PG has already doubled MHP's total and keeps going.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
However, the PSP factor alone doesn't explain why each sequel has been more successful than the last.
I was under impression that the big draw of the series was its social multiplayer aspect - ie. the handheld factor. Which unless I'm mistaken played a key part in Pokemon and its kin as well.

Now I'm sure network multiplayer can serve this just as well in the west - but in Japan?

Terrell

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Well... look at it like this. As you said, when mh2 came out it almost beat out MHP... A port of the original MH (with the mh expansions). After MH2 came out, what happened? It fell away and MHP was still selling. So people were choosing a port of the original game over a whole new version. And then when the release came for the portable version of that sequel that was outsold by the first portable version, it exploded. Are you just saying that the explosion happened just because the series got more popular? Why didn't they just buy the ps2 game that'd been on the market for a year? Why wasn't there a surge of MH2 before the MHP2 release to match the surge of MHP?

Remember, mhp2 isn't some suddenly new game, it's a port of MH2. And MH3 is going to do the same thing, really good sales for the console. Amazing blockbuster for the PSP port.
There's one more thing that people seem to have mysteriously forgotten about this whole scenario: what did/has Monster Hunter Portable had to compete with on PSP? Practically NOTHING. What did the Monster Hunter games on PS2 have to compete with? Practically EVERYTHING. This is the most easily-forgotten factor here: the PSP, being an uncluttered landscape, allowed for a much larger exposure than the PS2 could have at that point in both their life cycles. PSP helped build the franchise. Franchises aren't BORN million-sellers, you have to build to them. Monster Hunter just had the luxury of being the only game that was considered to be worth owning on PSP in Japan, so if the PSP was bought, that game was its most likely companion at the register. And those people that bought it, well, they actually liked it, and wanted MORE. So Capcom gave them a sequel in portable form. And now they're so desperate for more and have told all the people they know how awesome the series is that even a mere expansion sells. A game's quality does not hinge on its portability, and while I don't believe every owner of the portable series is going to make the jump to Wii, it's all the more likely since that's really the only console in Japan selling worth a damn.

People are way too eager to write it off as a PSP-only phenomenon. But keep in mind the fact that the series didn't hit stride until the second portable title. And now it's going to hit consoles on Japan's "it" system. If there's one thing that Media Create threads should teach us, it's two things:

1) We can no longer underestimate Monster Hunter
2) We should never underestimate Nintendo

Monster Hunter 3 is a combination of these two lessons. And yet we doubt it. GAF can't help but learn lessons the hard way or something?

My prediction? 1.5 million, with that being my pessimistic prediction.

Fafalada said:
Now I'm sure network multiplayer can serve this just as well in the west - but in Japan?
From the sounds of things from other people in Japan, Nintendo has been VERY proactive about getting Wii users online, moreso than any game company in Japan ever has been (including Sega, Microsoft and Square Enix, yes). So we'll have to wait and see how that plays out. If WiiWare is enough to get them to keep their consoles online, online gaming might suddenly become a big draw for them.

Terrell

HK-47 said:
Sometimes you dont have to build them through releases...like say Gears
No, sometimes you build them with an excess of hype and marketing, too. :lol
Notice how I didn't accuse the game of being bad, DON'T CRUCIFY ME GAF

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
With all things considered, I didn't even realize that the 360 had a quarter of Ps3's sales, good show to an extent. I thought they only sold like 50,000 total consoles to some extent.

Lobster

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't know, but 800K would be a much smaller jump of about a third, while MH2PG has already doubled MHP's total and keeps going.

What was the ammount of hardware sold at the times of MH1 and MH2 for Ps2?

Fafalada said:
I was under impression that the big draw of the series was its social multiplayer aspect - ie. the handheld factor. Which unless I'm mistaken played a key part in Pokemon and its kin as well.
Yes. And while Pokémon console games aren't as successful as the handheld ones, surely they sell better than they would if they weren't attached to a multi-million-selling portable game.

Lobster said:
What was the ammount of hardware sold at the times of MH1 and MH2 for Ps2?
Going by my Famitsu numbers

MH1 launch: 13.8 M
MHG launch: 16.3 M
MH2 launch: 18.3 M

Top Bottom