• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onslaught, 4p online co-op FPS for Wiiware

Haruspex

Banned
Gamecentral (on Teletext here in the UK) gave Onslaught a 6/10, they are some of the most reliable out there when it comes to reviews too.

And for gods sake people, this is a downloadable WiiWare game, stop referring to it as a fully-fledged retail release!

basik

new IGN preview:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/955/955178p1.html
Some missions are straightforward extermination challenges, while others require a bit more in the way of defense, protecting your base from the invaders.

Like other FPS titles on Wii, Onslaught utilizes the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combination for its control, with the pointer of the Wii remote used for aiming and rotation. For those that require a bit more sensitivity in their "mouselook" like controls, Onslaught features four different adjustments to speed up or slow down the rotation-versus-aim ratio. The game utilizes Nunchuk motion for multiple commands: when your visor gets all gunked up with harmful alien guts, you'll need to whip the Wii remote to wipe the stuff away. Holding the C button and making a throwing motion will lob a grenade where you're looking, and holding the Z button and waving the nunchuk will activate a laser whip to zap aliens that get a little too close for comfort.

basik

got this yesterday and played a couple hours so far, its a lot of fun for a cheap wiiware game. I've only played online co-op didnt try the single player yet. it looks like you have to play the single player to unlock weapon upgrades that work in multiplayer. online you choose from 13 levels and in free play it chooses one at random. I played the early levels and never got killed even though my teammates did, its not a easy game I'm just good at fps games so I could run away a lot from the hordes shooting them while running backwards, then someone picked level 10 and I got killed like 5 times (only had 1 teamate on that level though)...massive hordes everywhere overwhelmed me. It reminds me of starship troopers. it seems like online mode is always set to hard and thats good because its challenging and you need backup from teammates.

I cant make new threads can somebody make a friend code thread in the online forum or should we just post our codes here?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I tried it last night, and it seems a little more basic than I was expecting it to be...

Any opinions on what the "best" control setting / cursor speed adjustment is?

I thought the standard default controls were fine. although it's almost impossible for me to do the quick dodge moves with the analog stick. not that I've really ever felt I needed that move anyway. game is extremely trashy but I've had a lot of fun with it. especially the defense levels on harder difficulty settings have been great.

only managed to find someone to play it with online one time though.

basik said:
got this yesterday and played a couple hours so far, its a lot of fun for a cheap wiiware game. I've only played online co-op didnt try the single player yet. it looks like you have to play the single player to unlock weapon upgrades that work in multiplayer. online you choose from 13 levels and in free play it chooses one at random. I played the early levels and never got killed even though my teammates did, its not a easy game I'm just good at fps games so I could run away a lot from the hordes shooting them while running backwards, then someone picked level 10 and I got killed like 5 times (only had 1 teamate on that level though)...massive hordes everywhere overwhelmed me. It reminds me of starship troopers. it seems like online mode is always set to hard and thats good because its challenging and you need backup from teammates.

I cant make new threads can somebody make a friend code thread in the online forum or should we just post our codes here?
yeah, the upgraded weapons either appear out of dead enemies or are placed around on the levels (not sure which) as pickups, just like the ammo. seems like there's probably one upgraded weapon to be found on every level.

DavidDayton said:
I tried it last night, and it seems a little more basic than I was expecting it to be...

Any opinions on what the "best" control setting / cursor speed adjustment is?
A is the closest to Metroid's Advanced controls IMO.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I get the complaints about Onslaught now... most FPS have you killing lots of enemies. Onslaught feels more like you're pumping endless rounds of ammo into EVERYTHING.

The game feels slower and, yes, more like some weird "on rails" shooter.

basik

Haruspex said:
Gamecentral (on Teletext here in the UK) gave Onslaught a 6/10, they are some of the most reliable out there when it comes to reviews too.

And for gods sake people, this is a downloadable WiiWare game, stop referring to it as a fully-fledged retail release!

now that I've played the game more I'd give it a 7 or 8. 6 is too low because its fun, 9 is too high because there is room for improvement in a sequel. the online is all about getting a high score and staying alive. it feels good if you can survive the whole level and get a good score and at the end you can see who died and its funny when you have the highest score and didnt die and see all your teammates died multiple times.

basik

onslaught suggestions/comments/ideas thread, hudson is watching:

http://www.hudsonentertainment.com/viewtopic.php?t=751

Sweet! Glad to hear you like the game. Everyone seems to be pretty excited about some FPS action on WiiWare so if the game continues to do well, then there definitely might be a possibility of doing expansions, dlc, or even a full blown sequel.

Feel free to drop some more ideas, suggestions on the game, thanks!

I want a sequel or some dlc.

markatisu

I downloaded this tonight, I think its a pretty good game for $10

Hopefully it sells so we can get some dlc or expansions (as Hudson implied in their recent comments)

Its nothing super duper but it runs pretty fast and its easy to pick up and play

I personally would love to see Hudson make a full-blown retail sequel with DLC.

Problem is, they're against deathmatches specifically, so it's doomed to fail. :'(

basik

Mejilan said:
So, any good? Worth the buy? It's primarily a coop/competitive FPS, right?

I say its worth a buy as long as you know its a $10 game that shouldnt be compared to full price games. for $10 I got 4 player online co-op and it has giant swarms of enemies and giant bosses..I like it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bought this today.

Certainly rough and in need of a lot of improvements, but what's there is fun if you just want a quick score-based shooting game. It's great they've included so many ranking features.

I say watch a whole lot of videos. If you think you'd like it then give it a shot. If the videos seem iffy to you then there's really nothing else in the game that will sell it.

basik

markatisu said:
Any tips on Level 2, I can't seem to keep them from breaking the line

in single player mode? keep a eye on the radar to see where they are trying to come from, shoot a few rockets at large groups of slugs, dont try going to the bug side, hang back and defend. also shoot them in the green parts for crit hits, dont shoot the metal parts.

markatisu

basik said:
in single player mode? keep a eye on the radar to see where they are trying to come from, shoot a few rockets at large groups of slugs, dont try going to the bug side, hang back and defend. also shoot them in the green parts for crit hits, dont shoot the metal parts.

Thanks I will try those suggestions, they could seriously reskin this game as a Starship Troopers FPS if they wanted to...that would be awesome

NeonZ

I've only played 4 levels so far, but it seems like a strange mix of a FPS and a shooting gallery game. The enemies are getting more agressive now, but the character movement is really slow, and there's a limited selection of weapons.

Either way, I'm not a big fan of FPS (haven't bought any retail releases for the Wii), but I'm having enough fun with this.

basik

NeonZ said:
I've only played 4 levels so far, but it seems like a strange mix of a FPS and a shooting gallery game. The enemies are getting more agressive now, but the character movement is really slow, and there's a limited selection of weapons.

Either way, I'm not a big fan of FPS (haven't bought any retail releases for the Wii), but I'm having enough fun with this.

you are supposed to be slow, in the later levels it makes it really tense when you have a huge swarm of enemies chasing you, its impressive how many enemies are on screen sometimes for a wiiware game. there are more enemies depending on what difficulty you are playing on, I like how its always hard online.

Onslaught4.jpg

WTF is happening in this shot?

rpmurphy

Just got this today, and got past the first boss. Player movement is unbearably slow, and yeah, the dashing is awkward. And I don't understand the combo system at all. If someone could explain that I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, it seems like a decent game all and all. Haven't tried the online yet. Seems like if I wait too long to try it out, there will be no one left playing. And yet, I want to play through the single player to unlock stuff. :(

rpmurphy said:
Just got this today, and got past the first boss. Player movement is unbearably slow, and yeah, the dashing is awkward. And I don't understand the combo system at all. If someone could explain that I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, it seems like a decent game all and all. Haven't tried the online yet. Seems like if I wait too long to try it out, there will be no one left playing. And yet, I want to play through the single player to unlock stuff. :(

Think of Onslaught like a shooting gallery, the combo meter fills up whenever you kill enemies in a chain and the meter decreases quite fast. So as long as you have a huge swarm that you can kill fast then you are golden.

rpmurphy

flamesofchaos said:
Think of Onslaught like a shooting gallery, the combo meter fills up whenever you kill enemies in a chain and the meter decreases quite fast. So as long as you have a huge swarm that you can kill fast then you are golden.

I see. So then is the red gauge related to the combo time? Does shooting the carcasses count?

rpmurphy

Well, I suck at this game (can't even beat the final boss on Normal :lol), but it's fun. Online co-op is great, even though it's rather unbalanced due to the need to unlock weapons to be able to use them there. Not the case for ranked games, but it seems like the people I've played against so far are worse at the game than me. And holy crap at the rankings: Japan-domination.

Top Bottom