• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NetEase opens new AAA studio BulletFarm led by Treyarch vet David Vonderhaar | Remote-first Studio is headquartered in LA, working on new co-op game

bulletfarm_art_2.jpg

NetEase Games has pulled back the curtains on its newest studio, BulletFarm. Led by David Vonderhaar, whose experience includes leading the teams behind the Call of Duty: Black Ops series, BulletFarm aims to develop a new triple-A game that utilizes first-person gameplay with an emphasis on co-op in Unreal Engine 5. It will be set in an original universe.
This unannounced and untitled game will "craft a more intimate and relatable experience while offering a fresh take on first-person gameplay," according to a press release.

BulletFarm is taking a remote-first approach to game development but considers itself a triple-A studio headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Joining Vonderhaar is the studio's creative director Chris Cowell. The studio is currently looking to hire in various roles to fill out the founding team.
"Starting this new studio has given me a chance to step out of my comfort zone and try my hand at making something entirely new and different," Vonderhaar writes in a press release. "This is a departure from the games I've worked on, but one that showcases my passion for rich characters, precise mechanics, more intimate storytelling, and plenty of action. NetEase has provided us an incredible support structure to explore these new avenues and allow true freedom to begin building the concept and ideas for our game."
NetEase president of global investments and partnerships Simon Zhu says the company is fully dedicated to giving BulletFarm the resources and support it requires to build its new first-person experience. "David's leadership and the early collection of game development talent assembled at the studio is set to offer something truly unique for his existing fans along with a new audience."

BulletFarm is currently developing its first title, but there's no word on when to expect to see it.

There is no AAA studio if they never made an AAA game to begin with.

Stop this A, AA, AAA, AAAA marketing bullshit. AAA/ AAAA has never been such a hollow term as it is now. It holds zero merit.

kikkis

I am not sure remote is the best for gamedev. Data sizes are so big and iterating on gameplay might be easier on desk.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They will be working on their first flop starting soon!

I kid I kid… but what if?

At least hiring a bunch of people should be super easy right now. Question is if those layed off people are of any quality or in majority should not have been let go anyway without that currently circulating downsizing panic.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Why did they open a studio in Los Angeles in the first place? Do they have too much money to burn? I have a feeling that we will have this headline in a few years. "40% of our staff had to be made redundant due to increased costs".

Top Bottom