• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Steel 2 in Nintendo Power (Red Dead Steel)

Neiteio

Is this cel-shaded? I'm pretty sure that as a newly-minted hi-def whore I can't enjoy Wii games unless they're cel-shaded. ;___;

That's an exaggeration, of course, but still. I'm hoping RS2 looks like the original No More Heroes trailer, as the concept art here would suggest.

And it won't be on-rails. Nobody would buy it then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
2czptmo.jpg

:lol So awesome.

Andrex said:
Oh God... it's on-rails.
I would laugh so damn hard if that were true
and then cry a little

So will Red Steel 2 be the Nintendo equivalent to Killzone 2? Sequel to a meh game that turns out good?

Aaron Strife said:
I would laugh so damn hard if that were true
and then cry a little

So will Red Steel 2 be the Nintendo equivalent to Killzone 2? Sequel to a meh game that turns out good?
so we get to spam gifs of it in every thread?

woot

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
so we get to spam gifs of it in every thread?

woot

I tried to get GAF to do that with The Conduit but it didn't take off. :(

RS2 is our second chance! :D

Vilix said:
Duel handed Wiimotes would be awesome. On the other hand, how the hell would you move?
Attach a nunchuck to one, and then put it in your mouth and use your tongue to move the analog stick. Or grow a third arm. I was going to say attach two nunchucks and put the analog sticks in your nostrils, but I'm not sure what the second analog stick would be used for... (this second idea was inspired by the fact that the Classic Controller's analog sticks are so close together that it's possible to fit them both in one's nostrils at the same time)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cooljeanius said:
Attach a nunchuck to one, and then put it in your mouth and use your tongue to move the analog stick. Or grow a third arm. I was going to say attach two nunchucks and put the analog sticks in your nostrils, but I'm not sure what the second analog stick would be used for... (this second idea was inspired by the fact that the Classic Controller's analog sticks are so close together that it's possible to fit them both in one's nostrils at the same time)

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE RIGHT

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, I have to give them props for really sparking interest of a flawed game franchise from artwork alone.

EatChildren said:
Well, I have to give them props for really sparking interest of a flawed game franchise from artwork alone.
Honestly? Red Steel's art is one of the few good areas it has. They really didn't do a very good job realizing it in realtime, but it's nice artwork. It's like the polar opposite of The Conduit in that aspect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The character art in the first game was so horrible. But the environmental art was always great.

I need to see some from this. I really liked the Tokyo playland stuff they had going.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EmCeeGramr said:
Honestly? Red Steel's art is one of the few good areas it has. They really didn't do a very good job realizing it in realtime, but it's nice artwork. It's like the polar opposite of The Conduit in that aspect.

I know, but the first game left more than a sour taste in the mouths of many, many gamers. It's interesting to see so many people wowed by this, myself included, considering the franchise base.

AniHawk

On one hand, UbiSoft's never made a worthwhile FPS. On the other hand, they supposedly scrapped the first version of this game because it wasn't up to snuff. ...But on one hand, it's the sequel to Red Steel, a game which I knew from its first unveiling was going to be shit. Though, on the other hand, I am already mildly interested in this. Hm.

AniHawk said:
On one hand, UbiSoft's never made a worthwhile FPS. On the other hand, they supposedly scrapped the first version of this game because it wasn't up to snuff. ...But on one hand, it's the sequel to Red Steel, a game which I knew from its first unveiling was going to be shit. Though, on the other hand, I am already mildly interested in this. Hm.
How many hands do you have?

EatChildren

AniHawk said:
On one hand, UbiSoft's never made a worthwhile FPS.

Maybe it's no longer a shooter.

EatChildren

AceBandage said:
Devil May Cry clone?
Hmmm...

It's possible. If the Wii Remote is too busy swinging the sword, but you still want to add in a shooting mechanic, but don't want to remove pointer control in first person, just make it third person.

Shooting could work as a lock-on mechanic while the Wii Remote controls the sword. All buttons and controls are free to do what they need.

Although, they could still make it first person and use the pointer, just move the gun down whenever you 'swing' the remote.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
AniHawk said:

yea, no kidding. this is soooo different than it used to be. i must say, im surprised

That's a pretty slick cover. I'm definitely much more interested in this setting. If the game turns out well, i might just buy it. I never thought i'd say that about a Red Steel sequel. Haha.

Drensch

Sorry, didn't mean to tease. I had more than satiating GAF on my schedule.

The article on Red Steel 2 is mainly a 7-8 page interview with 9 screen shots and about the same of concept art. Half is a preview describing a series reboot and the other half is an interview with the Art Director (Stephane Bachelet), Lead Game Designer (Roman Campos Oriola) and Creative Director (Jason Vanderberghe). They have the game running at 60fps, the game is set in the fictional dester town of Caldera described as Tokyo meets Reno. The basically rebooted when they saw Motion Plus and decided to go a different direction with the game.

Punch Out received an 8.5/10

next month: No teases or sly hints about next month's cover game, because we know how long many of you have been waiting for our big story on Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days for DS. We'll also reveal a couple of cool Wii surprises and review big-name games like The Conduit and Indiana Jonesand the Staff of Kings-all in just 30 short days!

Drensch

Black sigil: 5.0

jake hunter 6.0

up 6.5

magician's quest 7.5

core 5.5

help wanted 4.5

FYI subscriber cover art is pretty neat, like the newstand but no text except for the band at the bottom with issue # and address label

EatChildren

Yeah, give us some of the essentials if you can Drensch. Does it look nice? First/third person? Any hint of blood?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Drensch said:
Sorry, didn't mean to tease. I had more than satiating GAF on my schedule.

The article on Red Steel 2 is mainly a 7-8 page interview with 9 screen shots and about the same of concept art. Half is a preview describing a series reboot and the other half is an interview with the Art Director (Stephane Bachelet), Lead Game Designer (Roman Campos Oriola) and Creative Director (Jason Vanderberghe). They have the game running at 60fps, the game is set in the fictional dester town of Caldera described as Tokyo meets Reno. The basically rebooted when they saw Motion Plus and decided to go a different direction with the game.
Nice.

EatChildren said:
Maybe it's no longer a shooter.
It's funny you say that because it does seem like an unusual amount of detail in the art (especially the back) for a character we shouldn't see much of in the game. The Wii is starved for good 3rd person adventure titles so this would probably make too much sense to expect Ubi to do it.

Drensch

The article is fairly general and focused on the change in setting and what not, there is a lot of "we can't talk about that yet". I also haven't sat down and read it yet, just skimming.

-1st person, cell shaded, like I said, similar to XIII,
-going for teen rating so, "The gore just doesn't fit for us and what we're trying to do"
-No multiplayer
-exclusively Wii Motion Plus
-talk of dual wielding Gun and sword but nothing definitive

Top Bottom