• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption is the film adaptation most desired by gamers, research reveals

Draugoth

Gold Member
106055.jpg

During a recent survey of 650 people carried out by GAME in the UK, it was discovered that 41% of respondents want a movie adaptation of Red Dead Redemption.

• 41% of respondents said they would like to see a movie or TV series based on Red Dead Redemption;
  • 38% would like to see a movie or TV series based on Mass Effect;
  • 33% would like to see a movie or TV series based on Horizon;
  • 29% would like to see a movie or TV series based on The Elder Scrolls;
  • 2% would like to see a movie or TV series based on FIFA.
Now, when it comes to existing movie adaptations, 52% of respondents said they liked the original Tomb Raider adaptations better, while only 14% of gamers felt positive about the Gran Turismo movie.

In addition, around 42% of respondents named The Last of Us (which has a series on HBO) as their favorite franchise. Regarding upcoming releases, 49% are excited about the Fallout series, followed by BioShock and God of War.

This may sound crazy. But I’m enjoying the halo show. It been pretty good so far what I have watch. But yeah, give me a red dead show for sure

El Muerto

The story was really fucking stupid in RDR2 and it's not a real western in my book. The game was well done, but there are plenty of westerns out there with a much better story. Deadwood was excellent if you want to watch a recent western, In a Valley of Violence is another good western to check out. There's plenty of old westerns that are still good to watch today. If you dont like watching old movies you're missing out.

RickSanchez

2% would like to see a movie or TV series based on FIFA.

They already have several forms of this. Every country has it's own series, with a new season renewed every year. But the episodes are kinda monotonous. It is the same plot every time. 22 men walk on to a field of grass and kick the shit out of a ball. Then some dude called the 'referee' blows his whistle and everyone gets mad.

Apart from this, every 4 years there is a special mini-series in which all countries feature their best actors.

2024 and people won't allow the concept of video game movies to die, and it makes no sense considering you can count the good ones ever released, in one hand.

But sure. RDR 2 is as much a video game as a painting is a movie. So it would work as a movie.

You don't even need a new director, just hire the wannabe-movie-directors-pretending-to-care-about-video-games at Rockstar...

FeralEcho

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

There are like 1000 westerns out there if it's the setting you're interested in and if it's just to adapt the same characters then it's as useless as a movie as Uncharted or Last of Us....Just play the games at that point.They would handle the lore and world better than the movies anyway.

So again....why?

intbal

Until all the people currently employed in the film and television industries are replaced with more level-headed talent, I don't want any adaptations of games.

StereoVsn

Exactly.

And if you want to stretch to a couple of modern examples:

- 3:10 to Yuma
- No Country For Old Men
These were all great. I will throw in one more. Tombstone with Val Kilmer was perhaps my favorite Western.

Also, I feel like the Red Dead Duology could be fairly easily converted into couple of movies or a TV series as the games are cinematic in nature.

amigastar

These were all great. I will throw in one more. Tombstone with Val Kilmer was perhaps my favorite Western.

Also, I feel like the Red Dead Duology could be fairly easily converted into couple of movies or a TV series as the games are cinematic in nature.
This pic by Craig Mullins is one of my fav portraits coming from Tombstone. I think it's Michael Biehn.
mQLAlF4.jpg

Also a great Eastwood portrait

1FIb9XD.jpg

Last edited:
Plenty of good western movies. No need for a game adaption. Arthur Morgan can't be done right by an actor. Same as Joel from the Last of Us is Joel and not that sissy Pedro Pascal role playing as him.

Sack this shit, RDR1 is perfection, made for it's medium.
(Fuck II)
Something like the alleged Bloodborne adaptation is more appealing to me, because a film can tell it's own story made for that medium as long as it captures the atmosphere and look of the game. There's much more leeway story-wise than something as narrative-driven as RDR.

mdkirby

Both mass effect and red dead would fill a very under served need. There’s very very few modern westerns, and still relatively few space operas.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After seeing sony butcher TLOU1, I dont think i want to see any adaptations. Ive been dying to see an MGS1 adaptation just so we can get MGS3 because that would be the perfect james bond movie.

Other than that, maybe SOTC because it would be an awe-inspiring spectacle.

Mass Effect 1-3 are absolutely amazing and shouldve been adapted a long time ago. Best fucking story ever apart from the ending, and maybe a good director wouldve found a way to end it better. Honestly, if you remove the Reaper Child giving you three choices, and replace him with an Old Man who Shepard tricks or defeats using the wits and talent of his team then even a happy ending wouldnt have felt out of place. The whole point of the three games was building a team of extraordinary people who would tip the scale and give shepard the edge. And then in the end, its shepard who has to make the decision alone. Come on.

I would like to see God of War 1-3 made as movies. Not as a tv show. there is a great 9 hour story in those games that i dont want split into 30 1 hour episodes. And GOW needs a big budget that tv shows simply dont get. I have zero hope for the Amazon tv show after LOTR.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wait... why not just watch westerns?

Rockstar basically build all their games around tropes from these classics.

It is a survey of 650 people in the UK. Clearly they didn't survey anyone of intelligence.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Just watch a Sergio Leone film, they are better than RDR2 anyway, Rockstar cannot dream of making a cinematography and iconic characters and music like that.

StereoVsn

This pic by Craig Mullins is one of my fav portraits coming from Tombstone. I think it's Michael Biehn.
mQLAlF4.jpg

Also a great Eastwood portrait

1FIb9XD.jpg
Oh wow, these are amazing! Snagged both :).

As far as Westerns go, it doesn't get any better than Tombstone.

Kurt Russell Smoking GIF by GritTV
Indeed, this is such an amazing movie and its really underrated when folks start talking about Westerns.

Top Bottom