• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

I think the channel is kind of funny, better than the Mii Contest Channel at least. Is there any special thread for it?

nincompoop said:
Even the original Contra had more weapons and had temporary invincibility and screen clearing items. So you can't really say it's going back to the basics when even the first one is more advanced.

Adding extra weapons and powerups obviously could have been balanced with more challenging level designs. As it stands, even without them Rebirth was the easiest in the series by a pretty big margin (although I haven't played on hard yet). When you make the player less powerful and balance that by dumbing down the level design, I do consider that a step back, yes.

The original NES Contra only had 4 weapons (Machine Gun, Spread, Laser and Flame) not including the fire rate upgrade and temporary powerups (bomb and barrier). The Machine Gun would be redundant since they added rapid fire by default to the series with Contra 3, so I don't really see how Rebirth's 3 weapons is a step back, especially since all 3 of them are useful now, unlike NES Contra's Laser and Flame that actually did more harm than good.

I can live without bombs (instant use like in Contra or storable like in Contra 3) and the barrier since they weren't in all of the games anyway.

I enjoy Rebirth for what it is, and hope we see more, but my biggest complaint is that it is too easy. The mid-level checkpoints and infinite continues are where it dumbs things down. I don't feel like I have to improve my performance anymore, I just have to manage to not use all of my lives until the next checkpoint.

The levels themselves are fine, though I do wish it had a little more environmental dangers like the original Contra, but overall it's really fun and well worth $10.

Capndrake said:
OFLC update:

-Fighting Street (Capcom, TGCD)
-Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Capcom, VCA)

MAN, capcom are basterds!
Street Fighter II CE for Virtual Arcade!
I already downloaded all SNES street fighters but I will purchase the arcade version too.

also why the hell do they release "street fighter 1" for the turbo grafx? that game is horrible.

Capndrake said:
OFLC update:

-Fighting Street (Capcom, TGCD)
-Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Capcom, VCA)

OMG Capcom are now officially supporting VCA! :D

Strider and Ghouls N' Ghosts please! Oh and Street Fighter 3 would be rad
Lol I know it'll probably never happen

Capndrake

iamaustrian said:
I already downloaded all SNES street fighters but I will purchase the arcade version too.

also why the hell do they release "street fighter 1" for the turbo grafx? that game is horrible.
It's actually possible it's the TG16 version of Street Fighter II': Champion Edition, but that was only released in Japan, which is why I'm assuming it's the arcade one instead.

Yes Boss!

iamaustrian said:

Believe it or not, that was my very first TGCD game. I'll pick it up for nostalgia...there is a market for it.

Capndrake said:
It's actually possible it's the TG16 version of Street Fighter II': Champion Edition, but that was only released in Japan, which is why I'm assuming it's the arcade one instead.

Oh, I didn't know that Championship Edition got released for the TG16. It's probably that one then since the other game is also a TG16/CD game :(

Updating the OP, but I just need to get Japan's releases for the week sorted & I haven't had chance to go trawling for them. Can someone help?

Cheers!

Damn I got excited for SF2 arcade for a second there, the thought of Capcom support got exciting... but yeah its possibly a mistake and just the TG16 SF2. :(

Will get Fighting Street though for the lols though maybe. :lol While its terrible, its still part of the Street Fighter history so I like having it. 'Good' memories of playing it on the C64 haha.

Jazzem

Anyone have anything to say on Solomon's Key/Rygar? I really liked NES Solomon on the VC.

Got myself the 2-in-1 Solitaire game, about as true to what it says on the tin as it gets! Worth it if you're a solitaire addict though, the interface is great.

Jazzem said:
Anyone have anything to say on Solomon's Key/Rygar? I really liked NES Solomon on the VC.

Got myself the 2-in-1 Solitaire game, about as true to what it says on the tin as it gets! Worth it if you're a solitaire addict though, the interface is great.

well, Rygar is completly different game on NES. The arcade version is a straight sidescrolling action game and can get boring after a while. It does feature pretty amazing graphics for a game released in 1986 though.
The NES version is great. graphics are nice(for NES) and gameplay is much better overall.

read this...it sums up all the differences and is a great read.

mclem

Given that VCA games *shouldn't* be reliant on refresh speed - having originally had bespoke monitor setups - are we getting 'pure' copies of the games in Europe? This might just be the definitive Solomon's Key for me.

Capndrake

On VC for Japan next Tuesday:

-Ganbare Goemon 3: Shichijuurokubei no Karakuri Manji Gatame (Konami, SFC)
-Dragon Buster (Namco Bandai, VCA)
-Dragon Saber (Namco Bandai, VCA)

mclem said:
Given that VCA games *shouldn't* be reliant on refresh speed - having originally had bespoke monitor setups - are we getting 'pure' copies of the games in Europe? This might just be the definitive Solomon's Key for me.

what?
if you mean that the VCA games in EU run at 60 hertz fullspeed than, yes , they do

Capndrake said:
DSiWare:
-2-in-1 Solitaire (Nintendo, 200 points)
Actually this one is really good. I like it. The overall design is Kawashima(DSi) like and feels great. You can see the battery info and stuff like in those DSi Brain Trainings.

It's Spider Solitaire and Klondike, so both Windows Solitaires are included ;)
It counts your playtime and your win-lose percentage.

And it only needs 7 blocks ;) BUY BUY BUY for 200points it's a nobrainer

Somnid

Full Japanese update for next week:

VC:

Gambare Goemon 3 (SNES, Konami, 800pts)
Dragon Sabre (ARC, Bandai-Namco, 800pts)
Dragon Buster (ARC, Bandi-Namco, 800pts)

WiiWare:

Minna de Tobikome! Penguin Diving Fu-pa-ru-pa (Agenda, 500pts)
F.O.R.T.U.N.E: Hoshi no furisosokgu Oka [Fortune: Star-shower Hill] (Cybird, 1000pts)
Animal Life: Doubutsu Furiai seikatsu [Animal Life: Animal Considerate Lifestyle] (Hudson, 500pts + DLC)

DSiWare

DSiWare 200:
G.G Series: Z-One (Genterprise)
G.G Series: Wonderland (Genterprise)

DSiWare 500:
Asoberu Ehon: Mind Ten [Play Picturebook: Mind Ten] (Nintendo)
Saigyou Ginsei: Igo [Strongest Silver-star: Go] (Silver Star Japan)

Great that Japan is getting the rest of the Goemon games. Pretty much all three of them are better than Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

Oh that's right the West will never get them. Ughhh.

Buggy Loop

Did the snes star war games age well? I have good memories of empire strike back, but i dont remember rotj too much. Which of the 3 is the best?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nuclear Muffin said:
OMG Capcom are now officially supporting VCA! :D

Strider and Ghouls N' Ghosts please! Oh and Street Fighter 3 would be rad
Lol I know it'll probably never happen
BELIEVE. :D

Yoschi

Caesar III said:
Actually this one is really good. I like it. The overall design is Kawashima(DSi) like and feels great. You can see the battery info and stuff like in those DSi Brain Trainings.

It's Spider Solitaire and Klondike, so both Windows Solitaires are included ;)
It counts your playtime and your win-lose percentage.

And it only needs 7 blocks ;) BUY BUY BUY for 200points it's a nobrainer
Yeah, I love it too! it's a must-buy for 200 points.
Also, when you're in the DSi Menu, it shows an updated icon that displays the wins for each of the two games, pretty neat!

sfog

ESRB update:

Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth

Platform: Wii

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence

Rating summary: This is a side-scrolling action game in which players battle against monsters in Dracula's castle. Players use a chained whip to fight their way through halls and dungeons filled with zombies, skeletons, flying eyeballs, and bats. The enemy creatures frequently shoot projectiles and attack players in hand-to-hand combat. If players sustain too much damage, they keel over and emit a burst of red blood. Some rooms in the castle also have spikes or spears stained with red, blood-like splotches.

DRAGON QUEST WARS

Platform: Nintendo DSi

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Language

Rating summary: Players control a team of 4 "cartoony" monsters in this strategy role-playing game. Players move their monsters (e.g., slime creatures and dragons) around a battle grid to face opposing creatures (e.g., golems, "mushroom men," etc.). Monsters use melee attacks (e.g., punches and kicks) and magic spells to battle creatures that squeak and run away when defeated. One of the available team names that appear on the screen is "Hell's Bells."

Somnid

Captain N said:
I hope we get this tomorrow.

Or hopefully something to entice those new Pink and White DSi owners to get online. I noticed that my GF's new DSi comes preloaded with a video that tells you how to get online and what you can do once you have. Also the internet browser now comes preloaded.

Somnid said:
Or hopefully something to entice those new Pink and White DSi owners to get online. I noticed that my GF's new DSi comes preloaded with a video that tells you how to get online and what you can do once you have. Also the internet browser now comes preloaded.
I just got my DSi last week and it didn't have any of this. What region are you?

Meesh

iamaustrian said:

What's the difference between Street Fighter II CE and say, Street Fighter Turbo or whatever...I'll probably get slapped for this, but I always regarded everything pre SF3 to be the same with added characters+turbo. Seriously, Street Fighter novice here.

And Goemon 3 for Japan...*sigh* is there any chance we'll see the N64 one at least?

EDIT: hold up, is that Castlevania rebirth slated for release tomorrow??????

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Oscar in Toyland is going up today for you guys I got a PR about it.

"Monday 14th Sept for 800 points"

Bam!

evilromero said:
I just can't imagine Castlevania hitting today when we haven't seen one screen. Prove me wrong Konami!

Well, normally I'd agree, but Contra Rebirth turned up out of nowhere a few weeks before its Japanese release. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Castlevania Rebirth launch in the US first either, as the main audience for the games seems to be there rather than Japan or Europe, and I'd expect that to hold for the WiiWare release. Add to that that we've had a number of cases recently where games have launched barely any time after showing up in the ESRB listings and I'd say it's possible we could see CV Rebirth very shortly.

Hobbun

So these rebirth series of games, are they remakes of the originals, or new games that have old school graphics?

Yes Boss!

Hobbun said:
So these rebirth series of games, are they remakes of the originals, or new games that have old school graphics?

New games inspired by their 16-bit counterparts. Though, they have a very GBA-ish quality to them.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
zigg said:
Is it supposed to be any good, then? (anyone?)

I got a PR about it, but we didn't get the game in Australia so I couldn't tell ya. Sorry :/

antispin

To conclude, Oscar in Toyland is a fairly decent platformer which expends on the basic idea of the genre. The game packs a decent amount of content for its price-tag and, despite some dodgy controls, plays pretty well. Unfortunately the game is majorly let down by its gaudy and over-the-top presentation, with some levels being monstrously cluttered with platforms, enemies and too much going on in the background. The bright visuals which were praised at the time of its original release can only now be described as excessive. Furthermore with only one audio track to accompany each level it's hard not to feel like the game is on loop with it's all too similar gameplay and generic backdrops.

Overall, if Oscar in Toyland had been polished and updated for 2009 this could have been the DSiWare service's first big platformer. As it is, Oscar in Toyland only just manages to escape mediocrity, and yet doesn't quite fall into the "good" category.

The entire review is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom