• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer October cover story revealed: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

BY2K

Membero Americo
To go on a media blackout or not...

I know Nintendo wouldn't talk about TOO much about Skyward Sword to not repeat what happened with Twilight Princess.

Ah, screw it, I won't be able to resist, anyway.

Ketchup Boy

Omgosh, so hyped!!! Skyrim and Zelda within a week of each other!!! Freaking can't wait!!! Effing A! I'm going to devour these games Thanksgiving weekend!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BY2K said:
Ah, screw it, I won't be able to resist, anyway.
I have stopped resisting. As long as Nintendo doesn't release trailers with what I'd consider to be crucial cutscenes or something like that, I'll live.

I know for sure I won't be watching the GameTrailers review until I beat the game, however.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dark Schala said:
I have stopped resisting. As long as Nintendo doesn't release trailers with what I'd consider to be crucial cutscenes or something like that, I'll live.

I know for sure I won't be watching the GameTrailers review until I beat the game, however.

There's 5 Exclusive Videos, a Video Preview and a surprise (which I'm pretty sure will be a new trailer, or a soundtrack sample.)

There is no way something won't be spoiled somewhere.

Typographenia said:
BY2K go on complete Skyward Sword media blackout?
Impossible! You'd never make it!

Of course not. Plus, I have the GAF Plays Zelda thread to keep a eye on. It will just keep getting me hyped for more Zelda.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BY2K said:
There's 5 Exclusive Videos, a Video Preview and a surprise (which I'm pretty sure will be a new trailer, or a soundtrack sample.)

Oooh, you're right. Oh well, I'll deal.

Nintendo seems to be showing a little restraint since TP, imo. I just hope they don't reveal too much with regards to plot and key figures.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dark Schala said:
Oooh, you're right. Oh well, I'll deal.

Nintendo seems to be showing a little restraint since TP, imo. I just hope they don't reveal too much with regards to plot and key figures.

I agree, but I'd be careful, still.

Aaaah, who am I kidding, I'll be giddy as hell every time a new piece of the online coverage will go up. And I'm actually going to buy a copy of the next Game Informer. I think it's the second time I'll buy it ever.

Skyward Sword? Seriously? -___- We know enough already. Jesus. It's TWO months away from release and you do a GI cover? WTF is this bullshit?

BY2K

Membero Americo
TacticalFox88 said:
Skyward Sword? Seriously? -___- We know enough already. Jesus. It's TWO months away from release and you do a GI cover? WTF is this bullshit?

Not sure if trolling.

Dark Schala said:

BY2K said:

We're releasing a number of Skyward Sword videos throughout the month, but they're pretty much purely gameplay. The video preview will be footage from this videos spliced with me and my coworker Dan talking about our experiences going hands-on with the game. And the surprise definitely won't be something spoiler-y. That's actually a retrospective thing.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TacticalFox88 said:
I find it extremely odd that a game that's less than 3 months away finds itself on a GI cover.

It's called "marketing". Nintendo has done this for a few years now, announce a game, not talk very much about it until a few months before release, then go batshit insane with marketing.

KefkaTaran said:
We're releasing a number of Skyward Sword videos throughout the month, but they're pretty much purely gameplay. The video preview will be footage from this videos spliced with me and my coworker Dan talking about our experiences going hands-on with the game. And the surprise definitely won't be something spoiler-y. That's actually a retrospective thing.

Oh. Then, ALL ABOARD! (The gameplay videos will show new areas, no?)

Anth0ny

KefkaTaran said:

Keeping the vids relatively spoiler free would be awesome. Can't wait.

BY2K said:
Oh. Then, ALL ABOARD! (The gameplay videos will show new areas, no?)

Yep. Some stuff that was shown super-briefly in the E3 vid, I think, but actual minute-or-so-long clips of full gameplay.

I say, the more I see te more I think they have just discovered the prefect LoZ art style.

Make the games look like this art on the WiiU LoZ and they will make a LOT of the fan base happy.

Gravijah

Black-Wind said:
I say, the more I see te more I think they have just discovered the prefect LoZ art style.

Make the games look like this art on the WiiU LoZ and they will make a LOT of the fan base happy.

There is no "perfect" LoZ art style. They're all great for different reasons.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent, looking forward to the article and videos...

Add me to the pile of people wanting a high-res version of this artwork. Nakano is a beast!

TacticalFox88 said:
I find it extremely odd that a game that's less than 3 months away finds itself on a GI cover.
So I take it you rioted in the streets in September of 2009 when the cover (two of them, in fact) were of Beatles Rock Band which released that month.

Did it also bother you when December 2010's three alternate covers were just art of game characters and not advertising any one game in particular? Like, did you actually punch a wall or something?

ShockingAlberto said:
So I take it you rioted in the streets in September of 2009 when the cover (two of them, in fact) were of Beatles Rock Band which released that month.

Did it also bother you when December 2010's three alternate covers were just art of game characters and not advertising any one game in particular? Like, did you actually punch a wall or something?

I would add in our eight issue #200 covers a couple years ago, which were all for games that were released a long-ass time ago. :)

RPGCrazied

I'm glad they are doing it. Since when do big Nintendo games get cover stories in other magazines other than Nintendo Power? We still don't know very much about Skyward Sword. I'm glad its not another FPS on the cover like every other month.

wrowa

Asking that question feels bad and awkward, especially considering that the story was written by a GAFer, but... when can we expect that the content of the story leaks / the first people get their issue?

I'm in Europe, so I have no clue about the release dates of US magazines :S And I can't wait for more pieces of Zelda information...

RPGCrazied said:
I'm glad its not another FPS on the cover like every other month.

TheCongressman1 said:
This. A thousand times, this. Game Informer should just merge with Firearms monthly.

Whenever I see comments like this, I feel like people must not know what they're talking about. Here's our cover line-up from 2011 so far:

Tomb Raider
Skyrim
Battlefield 3
Saint's Row
Mass Effect 3
AC: Revelations
Darksiders 2
Dishonored
Borderlands
Zelda

That's two (2) first-person shooters in ten (10) months. Three if you write off Dishonored as just a shooter. Granted a few of the other games have guns in them, but we're not just pumping out shooter stuff every single month. We pick the games we're most excited about across all genres.

wrowa said:
Asking that question feels bad and awkward, especially considering that the story was written by a GAFer, but... when can we expect that the content of the story leaks / the first people get their issue?

I'm in Europe, so I have no clue about the release dates of US magazines :S And I can't wait for more pieces of Zelda information...

Issue should start showing up to subscribers next week-ish. No hard feelings as long as you promise to go to the website and watch those videos. ;)

KefkaTaran said:
That's two (2) first-person shooters in ten (10) months. Three if you write off Dishonored as just a shooter. Granted a few of the other games have guns in them, but we're not just pumping out shooter stuff every single month. We pick the games we're most excited about across all genres.

I'm referring to 'Shooters' in general, not just the first person flavor, and over half the covers on that line up are shooters.

Edit: Granted, that genre is over saturated at this time, but there are plenty of other games to get excited about, some of which are on your line up. I'm actually impressed this time around, but when you think over the years, it isn't hard to notice the large number of shooter cover stories.

TheCongressman1 said:
I'm referring to 'Shooters' in general, not just the first person flavor, and over half the covers on that line up are shooters.

I count arguably half (Battlefield, Saint's Row, Mass Effect, Dishonored, Borderlands). I suppose you could argue for Tomb Raider, but I haven't seen any gunplay in that game and don't think we mentioned any in our story. But even with that number, writing off games like Mass Effect, Saints Row, and Disonored as just "shooters" without anything else special or interesting about them is silly and unnecessarily reductive.

TheCongressman1 said:
Edit: Granted, that genre is over saturated at this time, but there are plenty of other games to get excited about, some of which are on your line up. I'm actually impressed this time around, but when you think over the years, it isn't hard to notice the large number of shooter cover stories.

I would argue that in the past few years we've done an increasingly good job of diversifying covers. But mainly, like I said, we try to pick out the stuff we're most excited about across/regardless of genre. There are a lot of shooters around right now and lot to be excited for if you dig that stuff, so they end up on the cover a fair amount. I don't think it's been overkill lately, though.

Edit: To be fair, I'm pretty biased on this topic since I a.) work for GI and b.) mostly dig shooters. But I am in the boat of generally being more excited for non-shooter covers, so I understand where you're coming from.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The art is nice, but the character on the left is designed like some Dragon Ball Z villain.

That cover reminds me I really want a Skyward Sword Poster. In fact I really hope nintendo updates their club nintendo zelda poster series for the 25th anniversary. Also hmmmmmm to continue my black out or get this awesome edition of GF?

KefkaTaran said:
Edit: To be fair, I'm pretty biased on this topic since I a.) work for GI and b.) mostly dig shooters. But I am in the boat of generally being more excited for non-shooter covers, so I understand where you're coming from.

I understand your side as well. Personally, It doesn't bother me too much, but I would like to see some more variety. Like I have said, this year's line up looks pretty good though.

Either way, I'm super excited to see the Zelda article.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KefkaTaran said:
I am quite relieved to hear that! Sounds like really good stuff to look forward to. :D

Here's my first Zelda bombshell of the month: Eiji Aonuma never finished the original Legend of Zelda on NES!

Read it.
Oh wow. I guess that partially explains why Zelda games aren't as difficult as the NES ones.

Marvelous was the game where you controlled three kids to find treasure, right? iirc, it got a few Satellaview releases. I can kinda see some similarities between it and ALttP. But it's more obvious in the Satellaview games, I think.

Busaiku

Well, look what we have here...
2wcjg9t.jpg

Busaiku said:
Well, look what we have here...

Wait. Is that
Midna?!?!

It's either that, or a fist with a finger pointing up.

Edit: This reminds me of SSBB on the Nintendo forums. We all tried to see what shapes of characters we could see in the evil clouds.

Top Bottom