• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting game background gifs.

I might get some flak for this, but it really annoys me that these imaginative and beautiful backgrounds and areas are relegated to something as restrictive as fighting games. I'd give my left nutter butter to see some of these beautiful environments realized in an explorable 3D realm. They are much more beautiful than most of what you see these days, just waiting to be explored.

I get your point, but much of the appeal is its 2d/sprite art aesthetic, as well as many of these places were able to be so creative because you don't have to worry about the player interacting with them.

Plus a lot of em look great due to the angle and playing around with perspective and lining things up just right in the frame. Once you give camera control over to the player in a 3D space you lose that. Even if the tech was there to re-create this stuff in 3D.

Zep

Banned
Really liked the Project Justice(DC) backgrounds back in the day. Probably don't hold up so well now.

Lots of classics already posted, here are some of my favs. Two from KOF 95, and one from KOF96.

XiLpH2g.gif

Should be NeoGafLand.

Ryuhza

Banned
I get your point, but much of the appeal is its 2d/sprite art aesthetic, as well as many of these places were able to be so creative because you don't have to worry about the player interacting with them.

Yeah, but this is 2013, come on now. I don't care about running around in some barren desert or a boring city, or even somewhere necessarily with "realistic" lighting. I want to see something with pizazz! With style!

Also, I'm not really talking about these stages that are super crowded, or absolutely bustling with activity. Some of the more subdued ones, like...

For the most part, I think, with a talented 3D team and some stylistic leeway, these could translate well into awesome 3D environments. These are the places I dreamed of exploring as a kid, and damn if I still wouldn't love to today.

I may have gotten... carried away.

Check out how well the animation shows the fanning - woman with the green fan on the right. Rest of it isn't quite as meticulously done but still great, probably why the fan is in quite a bright green but again, impressive stuff and really has a great atmosphere for a fight. Is there a video for the stage, you mentioned it was a boat ride?

Here you go.

I know what you mean about detail Check out this stage from Art of Fighting 3

nvHX54p.gif

Now let's zoon in on those guys on the left:

0JCDBwH.gif

Same thing with another stage

OtB5Iv7.gif

Although I lost the zoomed in picture, you can see that tiny strap at the end of that stick on the 9 car swaying back and forth.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Real sprite work is simply wonderful too much indie shit these days are just using shitty sprite art as a cover for their lack of artistic talent and calling it retro. :lol

Froli

Can anyone track down the artists for awesome spritework? I'm curious what they are currently working on or what company they are currently affiliated with.

Neiteio

I... I don't even know what to say. I'm speechless. This stuff is incredible. I don't play many fighting games, so I wish people would say where more of the GIFs are from. Also, if there's like a way to bundle them up so I can download them all at once, that'd be great. It's like virtual tourism of a moving graphic novel or something.

I... I don't even know what to say. I'm speechless. This stuff is incredible. I don't play many fighting games, so I wish people would say where more of the GIFs are from. Also, if there's like a way to bundle them up so I can download them all at once, that'd be great. It's like virtual tourism of a moving graphic novel or something.

The SNK Wikia has a bunch of these stages archived for viewing.

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Stages

Ah, took me a while as I lost the link, but here is the ULTIMATE source of Arcade stage rips (both SNK and Capcom)

http://www.emugif.com/index/column.htm###

Neiteio

Even if KoF XII was, well, KoF XII, NO ONE can tell me that at the very least Russia and the stadium at night weren't great stages.

Also, the stages of KoF96 forever hold a special place in my heart.

Kof96aofbg.gif

Kof96womenbg.gif

Kof96yagamibg.gif

Kof96herobg.gif

(sadly impossible to show on the gif: the current characters' portraits on the screens)

Kof96bossbg.gif

(let's not forget this one is actually a fucking boat ride)

Kof96chizurubg.gif

Kof96goenitzbg.gif
I love these, but why is it when I try to save them, I can only save them as static PNGs, even though the filenames in the URL indicate they're GIFs?

The quality of these backgrounds is incredible but as a fan of fighting games what also gets me is all the little cameos hidden in them. SNK games generally have popular characters hidden in their backgrounds if they're not playable in a particular game.

So very awesome...

These are all ripped from the games?

Also: where is the Alpha and the CAPCOM Vs SNK stuff? And fighting Jam/evolution had some awesome stages too! So many cameos!

Let this thread grow!

Loona

The quality of these backgrounds is incredible but as a fan of fighting games what also gets me is all the little cameos hidden in them. SNK games generally have popular characters hidden in their backgrounds if they're not playable in a particular game.

One of my favorite cases is Hokutomaru's traffic jam stage in Garou:MotW - in at least a couple of rounds you can see modern day versions of (blonde) Kaede and Moriya from Last Blade.
I mention rounds, because in an earlier one it's just a gridlock with people looking annoyed in their cars, while in a later one they're out of the cars arguing, IIRC someone's having to hold Kaede. <3

Ironmask

i sense a lack of Garou in this thread (only GATO love here?)

here's my favourite one
7mUih.gif

so simple yet so complete, it totally express the freedom and the wandering lifestyle of Terry Bogard, also randomly another train will appear running on the opposite direction.

edit: also this one from Butt's stage totally screams "You Came to the Wrong Neighborhood ,muthaf*er1"

ob_67928bb196276a31107db34959b6531b_garoubuttbg.gif

Real sprite work is simply wonderful too much indie shit these days are just using shitty sprite art as a cover for their lack of artistic talent and calling it retro. :lol

I would said that but they tend to forget the Art part of Pixel Art.

I wish Capcom stuff where easier to find animated. This stage is crumbling down because of the fighting and the guy is yelling at you, is pretty fun to see in the game.

cvs-construction.png

Here are my favorites from NeoGeo Battle Coliseum.

Those are very beautiful but they don't animate much.

Edit: Moar

AOF3
Aof3wylermansionbg.gif

Aof3trainyard2bglite.gif

Aof3cactusgasstation1bg.gif

Aof3cactusgasstation2bg.gif

Aof3cemeterybg.gif

SvC:Chaos
Svcfactoryabandonedbg.gif

Svcathenasholyworldbg.gif

danmaku

Wow, never saw that NGBC museum background. Last Resort, Top Hunter... brilliant. Also, this thread is killing my Chrome lol.

eso76

Streetfighter backgrounds are pretty boring compared to the SNK stuff IMO.

dunno. i think SNK backgrounds at some point really started feeling like "what else can we fit there to make things more busy and interesting ?"

Plus, while i do generally find SNK's "concepts" for backgrounds more interesting, i like Capcom's execution and pixelart much better.

There is a difference; a lot of what Capcom artists achieved was basically optical illusions, using colors in a way that pixels would look smaller than what they actually were, or simply "hinting" at sub pixel details that you'd see but were not actually there.
They paid a lot of attention to aesthetics, avoided using black or too much contrast to hide jaggies or pixelated look.
Capcom artists were faking a higher resolution, sometimes wasting one of the few colors available for sprites only to do some sort of manual anti-alias and make things appear smoother.
Their pixel technique is unmatched, and their games all had a very unique look.

SNK's execution on the contrary is very straightforward.
They were not shy of using black or high contrast, didn't rely on subtlety and in the arcades, their backgrounds appeared very pixelated and rougher, which made them a lot less attractive than these small gifs.

Top Bottom