• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes vs Women in Video Games: Background Decoration Pt. 1

Wow, it finally happened. Anita produced a video that I can say I overall liked. I found her past videos in this series extremely lacking, often very "cherry-picking" - with Anita blatantly ignoring many aspects of the games she discussed if they didn't fit her argument, and I felt that in the past she was not offering a compelling/fleshed out argument overall.

This time she did a lot better. Not perfect at all though, I still have a fair amount of issues with the video, some big, some small. Some points I was writing as I listened (it's long, sorry):

-The comparison of how women representation in games evolved alongside how old arcade ads were presented is a cool point.

-Overall I think the stupid "you walk by a prostitute and she says something like "mmmmm you like what you see, come on baby you're cute"" thing is stupid an needs to go. There are some situations where it makes sense thematically but 95% of the time it's exactly what Anita is complaining about in this video. Good point.

-The above said, I don't think Binary Domain fits really. I thought going through the slums was decent enough world building in that game, and the interaction with the one (I'm pretty sure it was just one. If it was more it can't be more than like, one other one placed somewhere in the same area) prostitute in the game was pretty harmless and unexploitative. Furthermore she dressed in regular clothing, and isn't really flaunting herself just to titillate the player like the other examples, like Farcry 3 and Deus EX: HR. I don't think Binary Domain fits in here, bad example.

-Something I noticed among her examples is the prostitutes often say something like "mmmm you're so cute that I'll give you a freebie", further proving her point that these things are most often not here for world building, but exclusively to titillate the player.

-She just gave an example where in Hitman Absolution you can "dump a dead body of a prostitute over a railing to distract a police guard." Yeah...okay but you can use literally any dead body in the game to do that too, and the police guard doesn't have any exclusive stupid dialog like "heh heh too bad she'd dead cause she's real bangin'!" or something. Pretty weak example, I think.

-The Sleeping Dogs example was really good. I never got any prostitutes or anything when I played it, but that was a really awkward example in the video. Buy a present, get sex (and a power up, like she said similar to what a can of soda gets you in the game) and then she does another typical "oh she liked it cause it's you, you Sex-God!!!!" thing that I already complained about. Good example.

-Ennhhh, one of the next points though, about many family characters being interchangeable, which is "reenforced by developers copy and pasting them throughout the environment" is pretty weak because that's far from exclusive to women, male NPCs are copy and pasted exactly as much as female ones. I get what she's going for, but weak point in my book.

-Hmmm. I don't know if I like her argument about violence against female NPCs being possible being the same as it being encouraged "for fun." Assuming, of course, that it is not insensitivised in some way. At the end of the day, it's the players choice whether to do that or not. I certainly understand her point...but assuming that none of these actions are designed exclusively against women, these can all be done to any male NPC as well. She states that "while it's not mandatory, these actions are always implicitly encouraged."

- Continued from the point above (it was getting long), that is something that I certainly do not agree with. She says came encourage the player to experiment, and examine what is and is not permitted. While true, I don't think that means you are encouraged to explore blatant pointless violence against any NPCs, female or otherwise, at all though. After the age of like, 12 or something I've never decided or felt at all completed to go on random "women killing sprees" in a game because I choose not to do it. I can't think of a game in last while where I've felt encouraged to, either. Maybe that "dastardly" achievement in Red Dead, I guess. Which is meant to be a joke, but tobe fair I get where she's coming from in that example. Overall, I don't think the ability to do something is the same as encouragement to do something. I don't think a game can necessarily be blamed for player's choices, assuming it does not reward or encourage said actions.

-She claims next that in-game consequences for these violent actions are rarely punished or result in a game over or any other consequence. That's true, but on that note it's also rarely rewarded either. It may seem like an obvious point, but I don't think it's a very strong argument to argue that lack of punishment is a problem when it's not rewarded either.

-She reaffirms her point, saying that a toaster is still a toaster is you don't use it, and a sex object is still a sex object placed in the game if you don't use it. That I agree with! The stupid lines coming out of prostitutes and the reasons they were added to the game are all still issues, regardless of the fact that I don't ever interact with them. Choosing to commit acts of violence against female NPCs, however, I feel is an entirely different story. I don't feel like that's the same thing at all. They will always exist in the game as a sexual object, but you choose to make them a target of your violence.

-The ending point about the visual language of male NPCs and female NPCs being different is good, it's true!

-Being chased by the police in an open world game is never fun

That's about it really. Overall this is a better video than the past ones in the series, some of which I found to be outright bad. I still think some of her arguments are quite weak, but overall the video holds together pretty well.

Betty

Banned
Nothing is really said about their position as men in society, or is anything really troubled.

?

Michael is lifeless after becoming a family man, his children aren't that great and his whole family treats him with disdain. He's basically the lazy father figure that thought having a family wouldn't involve much work. And when he slips back into the excitement of heisting, only to lose his family in the process, he realizes that they were more important than to him than he knew all along.

Trevor is a straight up psycho, who, as it's hinted at the end of the game, was shaped by a very traumatic upbringing and a need to latch onto someone for love. He's a violent criminal who acts tough to shield his laughably fragile emotions. He's basically an infant that society has only continued to nurture out of fear.

Franklin is the most normal of them all, just a regular guy wanting to get paid, but he's so decent that most people in his life take advantage of that side of him. He's the type who helps others out with their troubles, advantaging them, but very rarely helping himself, which eventually makes him so bitter that he almost turns his back on them entirely. Which he comes to regret.

At the end, you get to choose which one to side with... but you also get to choose to side with both, rendering any message pointless.

Not so sure that's right. The message that Rockstar wanted to convey, that these three guys, despite being very different, all try to live up to different aspects of masculinity mostly for the worse, was already shown throughout the game. And while Franklin and Michael sort of realize their past mistakes and try to become better people, Trevor remains unsavable because his problems are much more deeply ingrained and because he has the emotional maturity of a child.

Giving us the choice to choose at the end was just a way to give us the ending we wanted. In all three endings, whether they live or die, each of the main characters remain the same person at their center.

kirblar

That's mentioned in the video and she says it's just equal opportunity objectification.
Coming from a point of view living outside of the M/F gender dynamic (w/ sex/relationships/etc.), the conflation of commodification of sex with objectification of people has always struck me as odd, and a point where these types of conversations might be leading to people talking past each other almost immediately. Having the M/M dynamics as a baseline to look at really seems to help filter out what's simply a difference in M/F market demand or sexual expression with more serious problems regarding the treatment of women.
Oh, I agree. "Men get beaten too, so therefore violence against women isn't really important" is a line I've seen many times.

As someone who has taught women's studies, the one thing I find fascinating is that women will defend the right to use cosmetics even though they understand that they are trying to approach standards that are impossible to obtain. And the one defense I see all the time is "Men use make up too, so why can't I?" But that's a whole different thing entirely.

I think I just find representational issues, on the surface, to be less interesting than the kerfuffle with Ubisoft at E3 last week. But then again, I find the idea of using standard tropes as he basis of series a bit misconstrued in the first place.
Were you the person with the funny anecdote about female college students who believed the men used just as much makeup as they did?

I had no idea prostitution and strippers were so common in games. Also how completely unrealistic they are portrayed.

Developers are really 16 year olds.
Well the ones in charge of what goes in maybe. Then there are the ones that want to keep their jobs and need shipped products on their cv

jimi_dini

So I'm supposed to figure all that out from a post that said a prostitute in a game isn't dressed sexy so she isn't a sex object.

I was obviously not talking about prostitutes in all sorts of games, but prostitutes in Binary Domain.

And I assumed that people complaining about Binary Domain should have actually played Binary Domain. The game is kinda smart in some ways.

For example right after meeting Faye it's possible to agree with Bo that she has a nice body. She will notice and not like you because of that, which has negative consequences in the game. Same with those prostitutes. That's pretty clever. Other games wouldn't have done anything like that. Plenty of things could have been better of course, but the idea behind it is really great.

In comparison - if I remember correctly - banging prostitutes in GTA gave the player health (a positive). And killing them afterwards rewarded the player with money (another positive). BD does the exact opposite of that (and you can't even kill nor bang them for example).

Holy shit that Red Dead Redemption hogtying example is out of control.

Well personally I found the "Dastardly" trophy pretty disgusting. Was it supposed to be funny?

Yeah, exactly. There's nothing about encouraging you murder a prostitute and then letting it slide or else rewarding you with cash and the thrill and excitement of a shootout or car chase with the cops that's in any way critical.

I mean, we can sit here making up numbers whole cloth all day if we want but let's set that aside.

And this is different than just jokes. If someone doesn't get a joke about a chicken crossing the road, that's harmless, we've just wasted time. Most Onion articles are trifles, not getting it is a goof. If you encourage someone to laugh at mistreating people without following up on that, without guilting them on their laughs, then you're evangelizing terrible attitudes and that's irresponsible.

I'd never hold a developer legally responsible if some criminal cited their work as inspiration, but I would hold them partially morally responsible.

The Onion is the foremost publication on satire. People have, and will continue to, utilize their posts in real life discussions. Just look at the political ones and the comments sections alone - people actually think that it's a real article. If you want to discount this big, glaring counterpoint to your argument, then our conversation is at an end.

By the way, Rockstar repeatedly states that their stuff is satirical/parody. Should they make sure you know that after every joke? Do you really need a disclaimer for that?

People have the option to confirm it, just as it is elsewhere with The Onion.

It's almost as if games need to explain to people that they are just video games and not real life. Let's do that as well.

Brakke

Banned
lol holy shit that Fallout New Vegas murder-a-prostitute-get-called-a-"Good Natured Rascal" example.

I just noticed that she always says "prostituted woman" as though prostitution is something that happens to a woman and not something a woman does. Interesting choice. Not sure I'd do the same, but I get it.

By the way, Rockstar repeatedly states that their stuff is satirical/parody. Should they make sure you know that after every joke? Do you really need a disclaimer for that?

Claiming that your work is satire is neither necessary nor sufficient to make it so.

So..? She points out that this happens in those mediums too, it doesn't make it ok. Everything you can think of often uses sexist and misogynist tropes, but since this is a series of videos on video games, those are what she's gonna focus on.

I guess my issue with "activists" nowadays is that some only focus on one thing or one medium. Maybe I am questioning her legitimacy because she has only made 5 videos that are focused on videogames in one year. In one year, why can't she make recent videos about other medium? Does she need another kickstarter in order to make a series about other medium like film? Or maybe she's only focusing on videogames since it is the focus of the media as well and gamers are basically almost at the bottom of the social hierarchy?

I just think these "activists" have to look at the bigger picture or else skeptics like me will just think of it as someone who's constantly protesting about NBA being rigged while ignoring other sports like FIFA.

AlucardGV

Banned
her points don't really work for gta. you can do those thing for every npc, you can kill 50 npc and you get out of the jail anyway. it doesn't encourage violence towards female.

meijiko

A lot of people certainly want a lot of this content either toned down or removed because they find it offensive or even (allegedly) harmful. That's censorship.

"A lot of people" certainly doesn't sound like anyone I've seen arguing in this thread.

What I think most people who argue against these sorts of depictions actually want to happen, myself included, is for game developers to stop and think about whether or not these depictions and scenarios are necessary or beneficial to the experiences they're trying to provide. And, if so, is there a way they can do it thoughtfully, without resorting to juvenile and discomforting tropes?

I don't think a game is going to make the player think about any moral implications of what you do to NPCs when the player barely cares about their own character in a game. Many players are willingly jumping a car into a gas tanker truck just to see what happens. All this knowing full well that they will appear a moment later only to try something else equally or more ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
?

Michael is lifeless after becoming a family man, his children aren't that great and his whole family treats him with disdain. He's basically the lazy father figure that thought having a family wouldn't involve much work. And when he slips back into the excitement of heisting, he realizes that his family was more important than to him than he knew all along.

Trevor is a straight up psycho, who, as it's hinted at the end of the game, was shaped by a very traumatic upbringing and a need to latch onto someone for love. He's a violent criminal who acts tough to shield his laughably fragile emotions. He's basically an infant that society has only continued to nurture out of fear.

Franklin is the most normal of them all, just a regular guy wanting to get paid, but he's so decent that most people in his life take advantage of that side of him. He's the type who helps others out with their troubles, advantaging them, but very rarely helping himself, which eventually makes him so bitter that he almost turns his back on them entirely. Which he comes to regret.

Not so sure that's right. The message that Rockstar wanted to convey, that these three guys, despite being very different, all try to live up to different aspects of masculinity mostly for the worse, was already shown throughout the game. And while Franklin and Michael sort of realize their past mistakes and try to become better people, Trevor remains unsavable because his problems are much more deeply ingrained and because he has the emotional maturity of a child.

Giving us the choice to choose at the end was just a way to give us the ending we wanted. In all three endings, whether they live or die, remain the same person at their center.

I don't think either Michael or Trevor are necessarily redeemed at the end, but they are in no way condemned either. Michael becomes the hero who saves his family in a dramatic shootout with armed mercenaries. And Trevor suffers absolutely no consequences for being a psychopath whatsoever.

As Franklin, you can choose to "punish" either one of them, which I think is fair... in a way you get to choose between Order and Chaos. But the fact that you can go on a revenge killing spree and save both men? It renders that choice meaningless. Even GTAIV had the balls to force you to choose between love and family. It feels like they were afraid of pissing off people - since you are locked out of content if you kill either character - so they wrote a way for you to save both of them instead.

And really, what incentive are you given as a gamer to choose to kill either one? If you are interested in the "post-game", then you are incentivized to save both so that you can clean up the missions and get a Platinum trophy.

Were you the person with the funny anecdote about female college students who believed the men used just as much makeup as they did?
From that old thread? Yeah. I've taught women's studies for 3 years and every year the response is the same. When you bring up cosmetics and body image, female students take it personally. Then you have to tell students that women disproportionately suffer from eating disorders much more than men and then they stop to think about the larger issue of women's representations in popular culture.

rexor0717

I think some of the arguments she's using for violence against women in games is very, very petty. She's citing examples - specifically of women - that can be beaten...but so can men. Women can drop money if you kill them, so it's an incentive and they're disposable? Men typically offer the same drops. Not a fan of that spinning, because it seems her only bonus argument for women over men in this case is a possible sexual encounter and attempt to link the two. I think she fails on doing so, and I don't think that the fact you can kill women makes them any more expendable than men, for the option of killing either sex is always a choice the player can typically make, the incentive in doing so is typically the same. You can kill whoever in those games, for whatever the reason. Took a taxi? Take out the taxi driver after you're driven to your destination.

What she attempted to do fits with the narrative of the video, but that doesn't exactly make it sound on its own. The points she made about women being a "prop" for marketing is pretty valid, so I'm not trying to be a dissenter.

I agree with a lot of this post. I think this is the best video she has put out so far. I agree with her about almost everything she said, and the Red Dead part was especially surprising.
I'm trying to think of a solution to this that wouldn't reduce player agency. The only thing I think you could do is just remove sexualized women from the game entirely. Or you could not allow violence against any character that is sexualized, but now you're placing people in the protected category that seems to be reserved for children (like Fallout 3). That would be a bit strange.

Veive257

Neo Member
There are less strip clubs per square mile in GTA:V than in LA, so.. maybe reality is more offensive than video games?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
^^^ She had a monologue once, that's nice.

And then Nintendo put her in sexy latex and made her ask men for permission to use her equipment.

She monolgoue's multiple times if I remember correctly. We gonna move the posts again? She had a character in Fusion. Informed through her thoughts and the station AI.

weevles

It is part and parcel with the crime story narrative. Excluding it would be non truthful to the realities of the criminal lifestyle. They are certainly executing it piss poorly is all.

I'm thinking that as well...it's a pretty simple process to reskin a character model in a game to represent that as anything else. As others have said, prostitution, while an ancient profession, is currently a representative of modern criminal enterprise, which is what most of those games touch on in some form or other. As others have said, video games tend to be fantasy representations or oversimplified reflections of society.

I think gaming has always had both innovative and lowest-common-denominator stuff, so I'm not too concerned about video games as a medium per se. IMO, a lot of the problems that get highlighted are societal with video games being the symptom rather than the root of a problem.

Also, since the game industry is male-dominated, unless more females take lead development, writing, or producing roles we'll continue to see inherent biases.

Menome

lol holy shit that Fallout New Vegas murder-a-prostitute-get-called-a-"Good Natured Rascal" example.

That's more a fault with the 'Karma' system, not a label it gives you for performing the act. It basically work similar to a 1-10 sliding scale, with the numbers replaced by a phrase instead. So the 'Good Natured Rascal' is a step down that karma-ladder from something like 'Angelic Baby' because you've committed murder on an innocent person.

I think it's simply a gamey attempt to add atmosphere to an environment that has become considerably more gross as the characters look more realistic.

I'm sure there is a way to take on the issues of prostitution without the women becoming essentially sex dispensers for the player.

"The ones that believe themselves inmune to harmulf media messages are the ones that internalizaid those messages"

Nice judgement there in your circular logic.

Also, she does truly seems to take the "they are simulators hence they reinforce" to an extent to be truly disturbing.

Started strongv but truly devolve in the usual flaws of Anita discourse.

Is truly herf best video, that mades her ending with "No U. Here, have some descontextualize examples" more painfull.

I don't think either Michael or Trevor are necessarily redeemed at the end, but they are in no way condemned either. Michael becomes the hero who saves his family in a dramatic shootout with armed mercenaries. And Trevor suffers absolutely no consequences for being a psychopath whatsoever.

As Franklin, you can choose to "punish" either one of them, which I think is fair... in a way you get to choose between Order and Chaos. But the fact that you can go on a revenge killing spree and save both men? It renders that choice meaningless. Even GTAIV had the balls to force you to choose between love and family. It feels like they were afraid of pissing off people - since you are locked out of content if you kill either character - so they wrote a way for you to save both of them instead.

And really, what incentive are you given as a gamer to choose to kill either one? If you are interested in the "post-game", then you are incentivized to save both so that you can clean up the missions and get a Platinum trophy.

From that old thread? Yeah. I've taught women's studies for 3 years and every year the response is the same. When you bring up cosmetics and body image, female students take it personally. Then you have to tell students that women disproportionately suffer from eating disorders much more than men and then they stop to think about the larger issue of women's representations in popular culture.

Michael co-signs the fate himself and his family to a life of shootouts and possible death at any point. They live freely, and they will die the same way - reckless, but in the present. He will always be a fuckup and won't change his life because shit fuck you, that's far to fun to do.

In short, his family says "fuck it" and decides to live in the now.

Trevor lost/gave up the only person that could help him lead a normal life. Now he's back on a self-destructive path.

Frank lost the girl he loved and is right back to the mentality he had in the hood, 'cept he's got a house and some new clothes. Too bad he wanted to leave all that shit behind.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
her points don't really work for gta. you can do those thing for every npc, you can kill 50 npc and you get out of the jail anyway. it doesn't encourage violence towards female.

The females are the only ones you have sex with though, correct?

"I can kill this npc and maybe get money"
or
"I can pay for sex with women, get laid, and then get a refund."

It's a side effect of being able to kill without discrimination.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She monolgoue's multiple times if I remember correctly. We gonna move the posts again? She had a character in Fusion. Informed through her thoughts and the station AI.
Yes, but even Fusion's characterization is way after the fact, right?

I mean, there's a reason why people reacted violently to Other M and it's because of all their own expectations placed onto her as one of the first female protagonists in the medium.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was obviously not talking about prostitutes in all sorts of games, but prostitutes in Binary Domain.

And I assumed that people complaining about Binary Domain should have actually played Binary Domain. The game is kinda smart in some ways.

For example right after meeting Faye it's possible to agree with Bo that she has a nice body. She will notice and not like you because of that, which has negative consequences in the game. Same with those prostitutes. That's pretty clever. Other games wouldn't have done anything like that. Plenty of things could have been better of course, but the idea behind it is really great.

In comparison - if I remember correctly - banging prostitutes in GTA gave the player health. And killing them afterwards rewarded the player with money. BD does the exact opposite of that (and you can't even kill nor bang them for example).

Well personally I found the "Dastardly" trophy pretty disgusting. Was it supposed to be funny?

What about the opening to GTAV where
Trevor is humping a lady over his kitchen counter, and the girl's man shows up and he breaks his face or when he blows up that meth lab and refers to everyone as being born out of incest?"
or when Michael's wife is cheating on him with the yoga instructor or when his daughter hangs out with that sleeze bag
What do say in a movie theater when a naked women gets killed? You pause and move on because there's nothing to say. I'm just saying you've seen and played worse to react that way over an achievement. Makes me think Adam Sessler was a tad overreacting as well. They gave a game with worse content a perfect score. Give me a break.

Wow, it finally happened. Anita produced a video that I can say I overall liked. I found her past videos in this series extremely lacking, often very "cherry-picking" - with Anita blatantly ignoring many aspects of the games she discussed if they didn't fit her argument, and I felt that in the past she was not offering a compelling/fleshed out argument overall.

This time she did a lot better. Not perfect at all though, I still have a fair amount of issues with the video, some big,some small Some points I was writing as I listened (it's long, sorry):

-The comparison of how women representation in games evolved alongside how old arcade ads were presented is a cool point.

-Overall I think the stupid "you walk by a prostitute and she says something like "mmmmm you like what you see, come on baby you're cute"" thing is stupid an needs to go. There are some situations where it makes sense thematically but 95% of the time it's exactly what Anita is complaining about in this video. Good point.

-The above said, I don't think Binary Domain fits really. I thought going through the slums was decent enough world building in that game, and the interaction with the one (I'm pretty sure it was just one. If it was more it can't be more than like, one other one placed somewhere in the same area) prostitute in the game was pretty harmless and exploitative. Furthermore she dressed in regular clothing, and isn't really flaunting herself just to titillate the player like the other examples, like Farcry 3 and Deus EX: HR. I don't think Binary Domain fits in here, bad example.

-Something I noticed among her examples is the prostitutes often say something like "mmmm you're so cute that I'll give you a freebie", further proving her point that these things are most often not here for world building, but exclusively to titillate the player.

-She just gave an example where in Hitman Absolution you can "dump a dead body of a prostitute over a railing to distract a police guard." Yeah...okay but you can use literally any dead body in the game to do that too, and the police guard doesn't have any exclusive stupid dialog like "heh heh too bad she'd dead cause she's real bangin'!" or something. Pretty weak example, I think.

-The Sleeping Dogs example was really good. I never got any prostitutes or anything when I played it, but that was a really awkward example in the video. Buy a present, get sex (and a power up, like she said similar to what a can of soda gets you in the game) and then she does another typical "oh she liked it cause it's you!!!" thing that I already complained about. Good example.

-Ennhhh, one of the next points though, about many family characters being interchangeable, which is "reenforced by developers copy and pasting them throughout the environment" is pretty weak because that's far from exclusive to women, male NPCs are copy and pasted exactly as much as female ones. I get what she's going for, but weak point in my book.

-Hmmm. I don't know if I like her argument about violence against female NPCs being possible being the same as it being encouraged "for fun." Assuming, of course, that it is not insensitivised in some way. At the end of the day, it's the players choice whether to do that or not. I certainly understand her point...but assuming that none of these actions are designed exclusively against women, these can all be done to any male NPC as well. She states that "while it's not mandatory, these actions are always implicitly encouraged."

- Continued from the point above (it was getting long), that is something that I certainly do not agree with. She says came encourage the player to experiment, and examine what is and is not permitted. While true, I don't think that means you are encouraged to explore blatant pointless violence against any NPCs, female or otherwise, at all though. After the age of like, 12 or something I've never decided or felt at all completed to go on random "women killing sprees" in a game because I choose not to do it. I can't think of a game in last while where I've felt encouraged to, either. Maybe that "dastardly" achievement in Red Dead, I guess. Which is meant to be a joke, but tobe fair I get where she's coming from in that example. Overall, I don't think the ability to do something is the same as encouragement to do something. I don't think a game can necessarily be blamed for player's choices, assuming it does not reward said actions.

-She claims next that in-game consequences for these violent actions are rarely punished or result in a game over or any other consequence. That's true, but on that not it's also rarely rewarded either. It may seem like an obvious point, but I don't think it's a very strong argument to argue that lack of punishment is a problem when it's not rewarded either.

-She reaffirms her point, saying that a toaster is still a toaster is you don't use it, and a sex object is still a sex object placed in the game if you don't use it. That I agree with! The stupid lines coming out of prostitutes and the reasons they were added to the game are all still issues, regardless of the fact that I don't ever interact with them. Choosing to commit acts of violence against female NPCs, however, I feel is an entirely different story. I don't feel like that's the same thing at all. They will always exist in the game as a sexual object, but you choose to make them a target of your violence.

-The ending point about the visual language of male NPCs and female NPCs being different is good, it's true!

That's about it really. Overall this is a better video than the past ones in the series, some of which I found to be outright bad. I still think some of her arguments are quite weak, but overall the video holds together pretty well.
Summarized every point perfectly for me. Thanks! Really agree with the cherrypicked stuff as examples and the whole npc part.

Brakke

Banned
That's more a fault with the 'Karma' system, not a label it gives you for performing the act. It basically work similar to a 1-10 sliding scale, with the numbers replaced by a phrase instead. So the 'Good Natured Rascal' is a step down that karma-ladder from something like 'Angelic Baby' because you've committed murder on an innocent person.

Yeah I played that game, I see how that would happen.

But it's really jarring laid out like that. It's pretty broken system.

Yopis

I really like non-player sex objects. I'm sorry, but I do. The more sexualised, the better. I have no interest in a deep back story or righteous motivation, I'd rather just have someone attractive and sexualised to look at. I've been wrestling with that since Anita started the gender awareness ball rolling and I've come to the conclusion that I'm ok with it. I don't feel that my attitude towards digital women is in any way reflective of my attitude or feelings towards real women.

Although I find these videos interesting, I just can't shake the feeling that the pendulum is being swung a little hard from time to time. The section of this video on violability and disposability in particular is just something I can't look at and say 'oh yes, women suffer that disproportionately in video games'. It certainly hasn't been the case in my gaming history. They're second only to children as a protected peoples. Well, and the disabled. Really, there is only one group that you can whale on with absolute impunity.

Still, there's no doubt that Anita has almost single-handedly changed the discourse surrounding gender in video games and I suspect her effects will be felt for years to come. I just hope that there's still a place out there for hyper-sexualised women when the dust settles.

Oh, also, there are lots of scantily-clad women in certain types of racing games because those games are somewhat reflective of 'the scene' in real life. Pretty much any and all motor racing involves hot women in tight spandex holding up signs.

Yeah my best friend of 18 years is a girl. Love my mom to death, have great relationships with women. Honestly I don't mind it either. Wont be shamed into thinking otherwise. Don't know if a place for us will be around much longer.

We need more types of games but hope that small section of gaming I like time to time is not gone. Hope that side doesn't give way to a feminist only approved fiction. That means we will only get guy games that are a joke ala the Expendables in film. Something that was the norm but since the pendulum swung can only come back as a joke.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yes, but even Fusion's characterization is way after the fact, right?

I mean, there's a reason why people reacted violently to Other M and it's because of all their own expectations placed onto her as one of the first female protagonists in the medium.

Well maybe. Or maybe its because the writing and story were terrible and often nonsensicial.

AlucardGV

Banned
The females are the only ones you have sex with though, correct?

"I can kill this npc and maybe get money"
or
"I can pay for sex with women, get laid, and then get a refund."

It's a side effect of being able to kill without discrimination.

it takes way more time than going on a rampage with a ak

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit of a jump to say that the imagery implies women are only toys to be played with though, no? Sex sells, that doesn't mean a woman's only inherent worth is sexual. Just that it can be used to catch the attention of men.

That didn't answer my question.

I'm going to have to disagree. Placing a person next to an item doesn't imply the person is the same as the item. In the case of video game ads featuring women, it's a hobby that is clearly dominated by male consumers (unless you want to start counting mobile games and such) and the whole point is to get their attention.

The ads are meant to get the attention of men so why do you think they added women into the posters? Why not just the games themselves. The women's only purpose in those ads are, in your words, get the attention of men. So aren't these women reduced to simply being objects of sexual attractiveness? That is the problem that she's trying to highlight. Women being reduced into sexual beings used to gain attention of straight men. The women are as much of an item as the arcade box next to them.

anaron

Try "different" and "better" are not the same thing. Seems like you would like to censor a lot of games instead of creating a new market.
Where have I once suggested censorship, exactly? If exploring and representing women in a mature, fleshed out and dynamic way instead of purely as an object counts as such, that says a disturbing amount about yourself.

There are less strip clubs per square mile in GTA:V than in LA, so.. maybe reality is more offensive than video games?

But those strip clubs are staffed by actual people, whereas the strip clubs in GTAV are staffed by mere automatons who will have sex with you if you manage to complete a minigame.

Them as essentially sex dispensers is the issue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, here's one point that I would have liked to have seen discussed - the Assassin's Creed games use prostitutes/courtesans as a form of distraction.
Are they commodities because they are tools for the player?
Is there any element of being empowered because they are able to be used in a manner that doesn't necessarily involve sex per se?
Going back to AC2, is the fact that Ezio's sister becomes the owner of a brothel problematic?
And part of the game is basically freeing areas so that more brothels can be opened (and you are able to recruit them)?

Well maybe. Or maybe its because the writing and story were terrible and often nonsensicial.
Not like there was a deep story in Metroid or Super Metroid though.

But those strip clubs are staffed by actual people, whereas the strip clubs in GTAV are staffed by mere automatons who will have sex with you if you manage to complete a minigame.

If you're going to talk about representation, then the fact that after Trevor murders the owner and you are allowed to touch the strippers without any consequences (the minigame itself doesn't matter anymore) is probably the bigger problematic issue since it moves from exploitation to "ownership".

Yeah my best friend of 18 years is a girl. Love my mom to death, have great relationships with women. Honestly I don't mind it either. Wont be shamed into thinking otherwise. Don't know if a place for us will be around much longer.

We need more types of games but hope that small section of gaming I like time to time is not gone. Hope that side doesn't give way to a feminist only approved fiction. That means we will only get guy games that are a joke ala the Expendables in film. Something that was the norm but since the pendulum swung can only come back as a joke.
Don't think so IMO. There will always be games that are hypersexualized or games that are like Rockstar's games. I think that there needs more male fanservice along with female fanservice. But that's another discussion altogether. Anyway the devs original visions probably won't change.

Yopis

The ads are meant to get the attention of men so why do you think they added women into the posters? Why not just the games themselves. The women's only purpose in those ads are, in your words, get the attention of men. So aren't these women reduced to simply being objects of sexual attractiveness? That is the problem that she's trying to highlight. Women being reduced into sexual beings used to gain attention of straight men. The women are as much of an item as the arcade box next to them.

What about ads from that time period that show women in vacuum cleaner ads? The real reason why was men were the primary person involved in family spending habits.

Now that is reversed in a big way. Notice all the commercials showing women being smart? Or stupid guy screws up woman saves him? That because women are in charge of spending habits now. Make her feel welcome in charge ect.

Most of this stuff back then was as it is now about dollars and marketing.

Terrell

I'm surprised she didn't touch on how many of these prostitutes are willing to give discounts and freebies as a way to affirm how special the player is WHILE he may be engaging in an objectifying thought process.

Because THAT is gross.

-She claims next that in-game consequences for these violent actions are rarely punished or result in a game over or any other consequence. That's true, but on that note it's also rarely rewarded either. It may seem like an obvious point, but I don't think it's a very strong argument to argue that lack of punishment is a problem when it's not rewarded either.

I think she had a flawed argument since, as she admits, games are made to be all fun in any given moment but the "punishiment" of that incoveniences are little to no consecuence... until you realize that it does can affect the player idea of progress or having fun as many threads here nitpicking small games mechanics can made witness. The punishement of having less fun is a big one in the context of that games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well, here's one point that I would have liked to have seen discussed - the Assassin's Creed games use prostitutes/courtesans as a form of distraction.
Are they commodities because they are tools for the player?
Is there any element of being empowered because they are able to be used in a manner that doesn't necessarily involve sex per se?
Going back to AC2, is the fact that Ezio's sister becomes the owner of a brothel problematic?
And part of the game is basically freeing areas so that more brothels can be opened (and you are able to recruit them)?

Not like there was a deep story in Metroid or Super Metroid though.

So I'm not sure what is the problem? Isnt it that fact that Other M added amateur characterization and terrible writing to a beloved gaming icon?

Cat Party

I'm surprised she didn't touch on how many of these prostitutes are willing to give discounts and freebies as a way to affirm how special the player is WHILE he may be engaging in an objectifying thought process.

Because THAT is gross.
I thought she did mention that at one point. Totally agree with you by the way.

The dastardly achievement can be gained by picking up any woman and placing her on the tracks, hooker or not. Yeah the idea of being given a reward for actually doing the murder is the morally questionable thing. The trope itself is right from 1920's cartoons and film. A better achievement would have been to pull the rescue within close proximity to a moving train.

Everybody is an automaton. She made a good case about the disturbing nature of the mini game but, by themeselves, every single store or service in that game is automated.

Because THAT is gross.

That wasn't realistic in the slightest, they even fail at recreating the realism they are going after.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What about ads from that time period that show women in vacuum cleaner ads? The real reason why was men were the primary person involved in family spending habits.

Now that is reversed in a big way. Notice all the commercials showing women being smart? Or stupid guy screws up woman saves him? That because women are in charge of spending habits now. Make her feel welcome in charge ect.

Most of this stuff back then was as it is now about dollars and marketing.

Part of that is the issue of the changing consumer. It helps that there are probably way more women in marketing now then there was back then.

Games are almost exclusively designed by men for men. It's why the majority of them, outside of platformers, involve committing some act of violence. Designers haven't even thought about different verbs to turn into game actions other than "to kill".

So I'm not sure what is the problem? Isnt it that fact that Other M added amateur characterization and terrible writing to a beloved gaming icon?
Yeah. I'm not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing at this point. lol

Betty

Banned

GTAIV's story ran out of steam well before the end, with Nico continuing to do jobs with no overarching narrative what so ever. The ending felt like a last minute desperate attempt to create a climax, and it fell weak because most people only got close to Roman, not Kate. And it also fell weak because by that point most people were kinda sick of both of those characters anyway.

In any case, I don't think having those three endings is a washout because some people will genuinely want to have all three alive, even if that's something many might not agree with, and they didn't, many chose to kill Trevor because they hated him, I still think it's fine as an option.

firehawk12 said:

That's true, I think most people who made it to the end, like in GTAIV, saved it right before the choice, then played all three endings out just to see how they all happened, but ultimately, of course, went with C to continue their file on.

I suppose they could have made it better by simply having the character placed back before the main mission after the credits role, thereby validating all three endings for everyone.

Top Bottom